rocket

Pending Hotfix: Build 1.7.1.5

uh1-003.jpg

Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop Whop

(I'm trying to be funny. Don't flip out guys.)

Honestly the packing to toolbelt of the flashlight and hatchet is an unoptimal way to solve the issue. You would still need additional slots for your primary or secondary weapon when you unpack both "tools".

For example: A character carries a Winchester' date=' a Makarov, toolbelt flashlights and hatchet and his 10-slot coyote bag is full of various shit (beans, bandages, flares...). When he unpacks his hatchet, he needs TEN slots to unequip his Winchester and put it in the bag to make room for the hatchet. Same applies for the flashlight with the handgun. He would need those 10 slots free at all times to be able to switch between hatchet and rifle if he wants to freely use both (and be mobile across the map - otherwise he would need to free bag space to store rifle/handgun).

What's the point? Unpacking tools conflicts with space availability to store same category equipment. Please rethink the changes.

[/quote']

this.

Well with this thought in mind, I've been thinking of something Rocket, maybe allow these tool belt items to be used without unequipping / removing your primary or secondary weapons, like allow tool belt items to be used via the mouse wheel or the "F" menu like how you switch to flares / chemlights / cans & bottles to throw / grenades etc. so you can use those tool items without dropping / unequipping your primary & secondary.

That sound any better? Or is this even possible? unsure of engine capabilities.. *shrug*

This is a mod, not a game. If you want to use the flashlight, or a melee weapon (which doesnt even EXIST in the base game...) they must be in the primary/secondary slot. Melee weapons can't be in secondary because animation is too limited.

Rocket, I have a question regarding the flashlight.

I don't know how the ARMA II engine works, but to avoid this issue, could the flashlight be replaced with a strapped headlamp that could simply have an on/off toggle from the right-click menu? Then you could just project a light source from the forehead of the character. Maybe it is similar to how the lights on firearms work, but it would always face forward of the player. This would also free up the player's hands to use other tools/weapons.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't even bother picking up the flashlight. It's way too cumbersome to deal with switching it out for my pistol in a defensive situation. And since the flashlight is a beacon that attracts zombies/players, it sucks not being able to keep a pistol out while it's equipped.

What if zombies wouldn't spawn if there are x players in a x radius of each other.

Could be used to implement player controlled areas that zombies wouldn't spawn in every 2 seconds...

CoolCat

@rocket

Any chance of having a group of (lets say 3 to 5) steel bolts per item slot?

EDIT: This would liven up usage of the crossbow much I think

I fully agree with this. I love using the crossbow' date=' but can only carry 3-4 bolts when carrying other gear i need. Adding a quiver for the bolts, or just making the bolts have a higher ammo count (ie: Winchester ammo comes in things of 15, Lee comes in clips of 10, maybe bolts come in groups of three?) would make this often overlooked weapon much more useful.

[/quote']

I made a suggestion for this topic in another subforum.

TL;DR

Quiver that spawns single steel bolts in your inv via gear menu. Limited uses. Able to restock via right click on single bolts.

Although, I dont know if it's possible to implement this "limited uses" mechanic.

seems like a lot of the requests in this thread will make the game too easy. imo a quiver would allow you too carry too much ammo and fire at will. the crossbow isn't meant to fight off a swarm, so don't stockpile ammo and try to use it that way. just keep 2 or 3 bolts and use it to single zombies with headshots.

that's a lot like how some people want to be able to carry a melee weapon and a primary gun without losing bag space. the whole point of having melee weapons is that they offer a tradeoff to firearms and you're supposed to calculate the risks of carrying one or the other (or carrying both and sacrificing the extra bag slots) and make tough decisions.

too many people want to have their cake and eat it too.

Rocket' date=' if possible, do a full check on the code. List the features that are in-game already and make sure there is no extra unnecessary lines of code and that everything is coded correctly. This of course if you didn't do that already.

[/quote']

Sheer Genius

Actually had a great time last night sneaking around and messing with hatchets and whatnot.

The only clear-cut issue I could mention that hasn't already been mentioned is that when you first grab a hatchet they need to be loaded, which is obviously just a temporary thing to get them functioning as weapons, but when you DO the reloading animation it causes your visibility to jump up to 5 bars for a moment (even in areas/stances where zero bars of visibility were displayed on the UI). This happened in multiple locations, indoors and out, and doing the same thing with other weapons (both rifle and side-arm slot ones) in the same locations did not affect visibility on the UI for comparison purposes. I just thought I'd mention that since it can be an occupational hazard if done outdoors. >_>

@rocket

I fully agree with this. I love using the crossbow' date=' but can only carry 3-4 bolts when carrying other gear i need. Adding a quiver for the bolts, or just making the bolts have a higher ammo count (ie: Winchester ammo comes in things of 15, Lee comes in clips of 10, maybe bolts come in groups of three?) would make this often overlooked weapon much more useful.

[/quote']

TL;DR

Quiver that spawns single steel bolts in your inv via gear menu. Limited uses. Able to restock via right click on single bolts.

Although, I dont know if it's possible to implement this "limited uses" mechanic.

seems like a lot of the requests in this thread will make the game too easy. imo a quiver would allow you too carry too much ammo and fire at will. the crossbow isn't meant to fight off a swarm, so don't stockpile ammo and try to use it that way. just keep 2 or 3 bolts and use it to single zombies with headshots.

that's a lot like how some people want to be able to carry a melee weapon and a primary gun without losing bag space. the whole point of having melee weapons is that they offer a tradeoff to firearms and you're supposed to calculate the risks of carrying one or the other (or carrying both and sacrificing the extra bag slots) and make tough decisions.

Because the current setup isn't realistic. In real life I can sling two rifles, have a sidearm in my jacket pocket, have a flashlight in my left hand and have a hatchet in my right hand, or any weird combination of the above. This game artificially (and to its detriment IMO) limits what you can carry rather than be realistic.

Great job Rocket and Devteam!

Do you think there would be a way to fix artifacting? It started happening to me with 1.7.1.4, I think it's the hatchet, not sure though.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work and dedication!

I don't know if it's the same artifacts, but I started getting some for the first time after 1.7.1.1

@rocket

[/quote']

TL;DR

Because the current setup isn't realistic. In real life I can sling two rifles, have a sidearm in my jacket pocket, have a flashlight in my left hand and have a hatchet in my right hand, or any weird combination of the above. This game artificially (and to its detriment IMO) limits what you can carry rather than be realistic.

and when you want to switch to a rifle you won't be putting other stuff on the ground and fumbling around for it? riiiight.

I'll make this short and sweet. Take the 1.6 sound Mechanics along with the 1.7.1.4 zeds ai and you have a really good build.

Also I'm not sure what's up with food(Can) drops. If I kill a few zeds I get a few here and there, but general villages etc I only seem to get the odd soda can or empty water bottle and of course a plentiful amount of empty cans:)

Something I would POSSIBLY like to see in the future IF POSSIBLE:

A Camo net that can be placed over smaller vehicles (cars, trucks, etc.) but not something like the bus, but the camo net has a small chance of actually spawning. This would be great for players who worked hard to get a vehicle help "hide" it, although it still would be visible but this would help it blend in to like the forest more than say a white 4x4 sitting out in the woods for all to see.

Because the current setup isn't realistic. In real life I can sling two rifles' date=' have a sidearm in my jacket pocket, have a flashlight in my left hand and have a hatchet in my right hand, or any weird combination of the above. This game artificially (and to its detriment IMO) limits what you can carry rather than be realistic.

[/quote']

And you think "realistically" you could fight off a horde of zombies while caring all that crap?

@rocket

[/quote']

TL;DR

You've just tipped off of the 'realistic' crowd's argument.

If you've clung to it in the past, you've just abandoned it.

In reality, you can carry a quantity of equipment. There is no mystical 'trade off' between a firearm and a melee weapon, and there shouldn't be here.

It's because Arma is built for 'standard military' type load outs.

Sure, a pistol in one hand and a torch in the other is possible. I would not be as accurate &c, but the engine does't allow it. THAT'S why it's not allowable. Not because you 'realistically' have to choose between them.

Likewise, an axe and a rifle.

If I'm doing things, I might keep the axe in my hand, and just plain drop it when I need to unlimber the rifle. I might make a sling for the axe, with a cover, and attach it to my pack as an emergency weapon and survival tool.

Arma keeps us to the 1 pistol, 1 rifle/main model.

Don't even get me started on how silly your argument against a quiver for the crossbow is. More of the same.

Get real!

I got to use an axe today, and practice evading a few hordes. Not too bad, but yeah, they do seem to spot you from super far away.

I had one bad experience... But aside from clipping, and I think unfairly seeing through bushes, I thought them more realistic than previous builds. Looking forward to changes in THIS update.

I'm not sure if this has been said already, but right now all I can find in-game is hatchet's. I found a barn with 5 hatches and nothing else.

[/quote']

TL;DR

and when you want to switch to a rifle you won't be putting other stuff on the ground and fumbling around for it? riiiight.

Sorry guys. If you think it's normal that a handgun takes up like 50% of a backpack's space then you've either never seen a handgun or are confusing the words 'backpack' and 'purse'.

ROCKET PLEASE GIVE US THE GUN BACK :)

No.

Now go back to the pond where you are shunned by the other ducklings.

No.

haha gold!

Hey rocket love the game but since the characters are stored on one server is there anyway to report that you are spawning in a bugged area so you can be moved when you log back in to the beach or something. last time i played we had gotten far (had a car,guns,blood bags) and when i logged back in i spawned in an area with hills and i had no idea where i was. but once i respawned it fixed it all but kind of sucks lossing everything. just a thought

No.

Good, it's better without the gun...these kids are just baddies.