m.cab

Base building - Why is it so important to everyone?

As to the "why" of base building, I think that the safe house or fortified perimeter besieged by zombies is a central theme in zombie lore. Think I Am Legend, 28 Days Later, Dead Set, The Walking Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead. You can't survive for long out in the open with zombies running around. The only reason you can do it in DayZ is because zombies have fixed spawn locations and you leave the world when you log out and go to sleep.

IMHO, like everything else in DayZ, it should be organic. It doesn't make sense for one dude to build a house from scratch. It's not Minecraft and I wouldn't want to see Cherno turn into a shantytown, but you should be able to lock the doors to an existing building so zombies can't get in. Other players could bust in eventually by hatcheting or crowbarring the door though.

It would also make more sense with a faster day/night cycle. Assuming you don't have NVGs, most players would probably rather hold up in a warehouse for 20 minutes and wait for dawn instead of running around with a road flare in the pitch black.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of base building either. Granted I haven't actually played a mod where I could build a base, but I think conceptually it takes away from DayZ. Like, what is the point in trying to survive when I can make a house, go hunting for a couple hours, and chock it full of more food than people could steal in an overnight raid? It'd make survival trivially easy.

For me, being a lone wolf is what DayZ is about. Small squad play works too. But making a huge mark on the environment in the way a base does is the same as saying "lol what zombie apocalypse?"... They might as well implement vegetable gardens so players never need to leave their house.

DayZ is old now, surviving is no challenge we want a sort of end game and creating a huge base is a end-game.

Do away with bases.

Boarding up a house or something of that nature would be sweet.

Sometimes i want to eat my beans in peace.

- We do away with choppers (as no one would be able to fly them)

- Loot doesnt respawn. Once its taken it's gone for good.

- Once you get shot in game you are dead forever and you dont respawn on the coast. You can never play the game again (this means players really WILL be scared of dieing! - Hows that for "authentic" ?)

- Your player needs at least 6 hours sleep every day and stops to take a shite at least once a day

- If your character runs for too long he pukes his ring up

- Do away with all the military weapons as people dont just leave them unsecured lying around

- Have no medical supplies accessible to players as they are always locked away and the only way to get them is to blow doors off locked structures with C4 - except you wouldnt be able to find any C4 as it's not going to be just left on some barracks floor! No, it's going to be inside some massive bomb proof vault that Joe Everyman has absolutely no means of getting inside!

Problem solved, now following your realistic - sorry "authentic" approach, we can now have base building and NOT worry about people destroying or raiding it as 9 time out of 10 a simple lock and key will be enough to secure it.

Oh as you failed to see the blatantly obvious in my previous post I best point out I was actually being sarcastic lol No, now lets be serious from here...

Someone is getting agressiv, always a good sign that you are on the right track. :D

- we did fly with choppers (if that is going to be that easy in SA we don't know yet), and did you fly a real helicopter ever? In DayZ you definitly going to die if you did never fly before and try it, so there is that.

- there is no other gameplay solution to that problem

- there is no other gameplay solution to that problem

- "

- "

- this is going to change in SA

- this is going to change in SA

Problem solved, you can't change what you can't change. But what you can change is freakin unrealistic houses with are totally OP and give bandits no chance to win. Actually it is destroying much opportuinity for gameplay. What if a player wants to be a thief? No he cant because the freakin fortress is unenterable.

As you failed to see is that there will be no on ground bases in the SA anyway. Hope you have that in mind while writing your next post. ;)

DayZ is old now, surviving is no challenge we want a sort of end game and creating a huge base is a end-game.

DayZ mod is old now. DayZ SA will, as I said really often now, be different in terms of difficulty and survivial.

Edited by Wayze

People are looking forward to base building because there aren't many survival mechanics and finding/making shelter is a crucial part of it.

DayZ mod is old now. DayZ SA will, as I said really often now, be different in terms of difficulty and survivial.

Yes I know that, however, the topic is called, "base-building-why-is-it-so-important-to-everyone" not "why-base-building-should-not-be-in-sa."

I'm not a fan of base building either. Granted I haven't actually played a mod where I could build a base, but I think conceptually it takes away from DayZ. Like, what is the point in trying to survive when I can make a house, go hunting for a couple hours, and chock it full of more food than people could steal in an overnight raid? It'd make survival trivially easy.

For me, being a lone wolf is what DayZ is about. Small squad play works too. But making a huge mark on the environment in the way a base does is the same as saying "lol what zombie apocalypse?"... They might as well implement vegetable gardens so players never need to leave their house.

Fact is you'll probably get bored sitting in your house watching your character sitting in his virtual house.  But I think you should have the option to secure a building for awhile.  Typical zombie film trope would be that zombies would eventually swarm your house so you couldn't leave it.  Maybe even break in and overrun it.

I think the only solution that offers much merit given the limited size of the map (yes, it's too small, especially for 100 players) is the use of pre-existing houses.  It comes with a lot of problems though.  For starters, they shouldn't be completely locked.  We should be able to break into them otherwise it's awfully lame.  It would only be a matter of time before a lot of the houses are blocked off and that would create a lot of problems as we've seen in the past with barbed wire spammers.  Barricades would only really be effective against zombies but that's okay in my book.  

Stashing loot in a house could be interesting though.  If items are unique in the world I don't see why we couldn't just jam a rifle behind a bookcase or something, for example, and come back for it later.  It would make searching standard buildings and fortified player homes a little more interesting than mouse clicking some action icon and viewing it's inventory.  You could also stash stuff and not even barricade the building to throw off nosey players.  Imagine a lockbox under a house, stuffing a compass in an airvent, that type of thing.  There could be a lot of clever hiding spots depending on how the interiors are designed.

I think building is cool too.  There's just something natural about it but I just don't see how to make it work well in the spirit of dayz.

• Like 1

Actualy in Zombiespain, we got 3 servers whit base building, and actualy there are a discusión about base building, some people like it some peple hate it, why? base building makes people close ins his bases, and you can play in a full server and no see poeple moving in vehicles or walking around the map, also people not got measure, 1 month after base building released, a clan of the server have closed in his base  56 vehicles the 60% of the vehicles of the server. 

you can see the base building here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaRy8m7b9tvXZ5y7mJrwiLz_an-tGBLCK

Edited by sycopata

Personally i couldnt care less about base building. For me, it doesnt fit in dayz mod. I want to travel and find rare stuff

[...]

p.s. not to forget: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

And you have your answer...

But imagine gameplay without tents, cars, holes, etc

a) you start on the coast, run a little, you die

b) you start on the coast, run a little, find something, you die

c) you start on the coast, run a little, someone shoot you down, you die

d) you start on the coast, found something common, run a little, you die

e) you start on the coast, run a little, found something common, found something rare, you die

f) you start on the coast, you die (respawn becouse you want that someting rare)

g) you start on the coast, you die (same)

h) you start on the coast (close to rare body), you loot corpse, oops, it's already looted....

i) you start to think about bases/spots/hideouts/etc  OR   you quit DayZ   OR   you play 2 hours/week becouse DayZ is SO boring...

It's good for newbie players but it is deadly for advanced teamplay...

Where are the caves ?????  All buildings have basements with fruits and potatos ! Moats ? Tunnels ?!

Where are teams claiming NEA as their own territory/24h ???

X-Com bases and construction facilities ? Or just storage areas for crafting purposes ??

Eve Online ? Yea, good game second job :) Look here:  http://myeveguide.wordpress.com/my-eve-online-guide/06-your-career/

There is nice graph with possibilities, can we have just skeleton of it here ? Pleas...

There is more to do in surviver life then just camp with sniper rifle under pine tree... And system for crafting new weapons is not enought.

And yes, should be possible to change ownership of bases :)

Nst

PS. Can I get login access to closed pre-alpha servers ? ;)

Well iI personally don't view base building as a must have either. Especially not on it's own. But as somebody mentioned: If there were higher difficulty PvE content added that had rare loot it would be nice to have some place to store that stuff a bit more secure than in a tent that you hope is not found.

What I'd like to see lot more than bases is more challenging AI Enemies added. Like Zombie Birds and Dogs for instance. If I were to decide anything about DayZ I'd make the environment as harsh as possible. Being a lonewolfing bandit for instance should have it's risks, like you are absolutely unable to get the best loot because it is guarded by too much and too strong AI to handle on your own. This in turn also means that the guys having that loot are harder targets for bandits too because they have that loot and they are in a group, otherwise they wouldn't have it. Anything that indirectly encourages teamwork in my view is a worthy addition to the game.

But all of that stuff is wasted on the mod anyways, because it's to hard to implement in it. I really hope the team has considered such additions down the road when they rewrote the engine for standalone so such stuff could be added easily.

I just want to be able to build basic platforms in trees, knock a few pieces of wood into a trunk to make a ladder or have a rope type ladder i can pull up after me.

Not many people look up ;)

Absolutely spot on, same with going into a house say an attic area let us block it off,so i have an area to call my own even for just one to a few days, unless someone finds it and then they would have to have say an axe to break it down(noise would attract zombies), and the amount of enterable buildings in the SA it might be hard to find :)

Not all of us are part of  clans that have the man power to go out and build  bases, some of us don't want to be part of clans, just surviving in a messed up world :D

Maybe we should find a definition and some purposes for base building first before discussing if base building will be an important. feature of the SA or not..

Why would people build bases ?

Basic stuff :

(can be already done ingame  and could be easily enhanced by adding some nice game mechanics like barricade building (has been confirmed) or barricading doors and windows)

1. to store and hoard supplies ( in tents, vehicles crates etc etc)

2. to have a relative safe places for their vehicles  ( will not work with undergrond bases btw)

3. access to fresh water supplies ( will be very important in the SA)

4. shelter from rain and cold temperatures including also fire places for cooking and boiling water ( could be very important in the SA)

5. fortification (against the infected and other players using barbed wire ,sand bags vehicles, tanktraps and all kind of barricades and traps)

6. setting up trading places  ( could be cooler than trading via the forums or Reddit)

7. setting up quarantine zones ( could be very important in the SA )

8. safe zones for events like masses for example (don't laugh it has already be done )

setting up trading zones, quarantine zones and events could work very well with the radio thing btw !

No need for fancy base building features and especially NO underground base building !! 

Advanced stuff :

(stuff that could be implemented and added to bases ):

1. power generators

2. science labs

3. medical facilities

4. work benches

This shit should be defenetely not placed all over the map but could simply be limited in different ways ( severwide or worldwide) to avoid server lags.

As well no need for base building as a speical feature and especially  NO underground base building.

Instances should be used instead to extend the map and to build "dungeons" to explore. This could be caves, basements, bunkers, mines etc etc  :)

Maybe we should find a definition and some purposes for base building first [...]

2. to have a relative safe places for their vehicles  ( will not work with undergrond bases btw)

5. fortification (against the infected and other players using barbed wire ,sand bags vehicles, tanktraps and all kind of barricades and traps)

setting up trading zones, quarantine zones and events could work very well with the radio thing btw !

As well no need for base building as a speical feature and especially  NO underground base building.

Everything depends... Is DayZ a try to build new civilization or help survivors last longer ? No ? Ok, some other game dev company

will do that ;) Or maybe DayZ is a place where everyone is doomed to die, join zombies or be shooted by last other survivors ? So far

we have exactly this.

Base definition: actually place to hide things. It will be much more important when crafting will require many components...

I hate Origin player owned buildings, espacially player-proof locks... It's few steps to far. Maybe common things like maps, compasses,

watches should be so common and easy accesible that no one want to kill for it ? Maybe on north side of map (respawn still south coast) ?

Just zombie-proof buildings. This allows to collect basic stuff in "houses" (in case of death) and allows to have realy valuable stuff hidden somewhere...

X-Com like bases (BIG, underground) would be nice but maybe in DayZ 2.0 :) Still, way to hide helicopters is needed - pine-tree-camuflage ? Just axe for that pls...

Fortifications could be done just with masonery tools... Castles with openable gates ? Easiest thing is just pit with roof and tunnels. Caves

would be ok but everyone will know where caves are... It need to be player-done, in additional table in database, maybe with loot loaded on-enter() ?

But trading zones should still be PVP zones... Or it will changes everything. Such safe zone makes playerbase grows in numbers :) And such zones usually are centers of universe. But IMHO it's not a priority now.

Quarantine zones ? Maybe around safe zones but what this realy means ? Place to die, medical center or cages ?

But why no underground things ? X-Com like bases, anti-robots hideouts from Terminator movie, Matrix Zion or Metro-like places, it's impossible now. But imagine: tunnels from basement to basement or into woods to escape hecliopter camp above... And maybe zombies entering tunnel chasing you (if no wooden hatch), from two sides of the tunnel :)  Man, that would be something !  Tunnel TTL can be set by server admins.

Nst

its important to me because my life of "nomading" is over, seen everything nothing to explore. I only loot certain buildings for certain things, I don't camp towns or am a new player. Nomading to me means your a bandit hunting players or a new player. There is literally nothing for me to do as a nomad anymore, I can navigate with out a map on chenarus just fine and I know were the best loot is, so no need to loot every building like a newb (newb meaning new player). So basically to me mostly everyone in this thread including the OP is a newb or a player hunting bandit. 

I can't find any long term benefits for nomading. Its a fact if you nomad, you will die because you roam cities the most, looting or hunting players or camping cities. The only time I find nomading necessary is when someone is busy a lot with real life and can only play a few hours a day.  

Edited by Phrosst

One thing I do like about the bases is that it gives me an objective. If they are able to get into and steal from I would not mind bases bein in the SA. When your ou of things to do like you get a gun head to a military position have some fight, then what? Go raid a base or take over a base. Start with small easy targets and eventually get a group to go capture another clans base and take their loot and vehicles.

However I do not care if they are implemented but as long as there are no glitches and stupid things such as building a castle inside a fire station which allows you

To see

Out

But no one to see in

for me special I prefer stash ... - BUT - entrenchment-tools and sandbags are hard to find... :/