Sign in to follow this  
Ozelot (DayZ)

.357/10mm handguns and revolvers

If you want stuff like that, go on over to Wasteland.

Also I hate to break it to you but it's already been confirmed that weapons will be much more civilian based in the SA.

No, I'd rather just play this.

Source info?

Also, there's no such thing really as a 'civilian' gun. All guns at some point were manufactured to arm a standing militia. If all you're going to do is include 'hunting weapons from Russian backwater' that's going to be a very tiny arsenal.

Edited by Ozelot

Source info?

Skip to around 9:02

There's other confirmed sources floating around but it's late and I can't be bothered to find them.

Edited by Death Dealer

So basically take out all the cool, superior egineered western rifles and replace them with lame russian plinkers and lead hoses.

Okay.

"Superior engineered"... that's a loaded statement. Which are more reliable? Even the ammunition design is debatable...

M885A1:

Said to pierce 9.5mm of steel at 300m

62 grains at 905 m/s (M4A1)

Ballistic coefficient 0.176 G1

7N10:

Said to pierce 16mm of steel at 300m

56 grains at 900 m/s (AK-74M)

Ballistic coefficient 0.179 G1

Not to mention things like the more tapered case (more reliable feeding and extraction?) although it is steel...

Anyways, yes, take out (most of) the misfit Western rifles. If you think AKs, PKMs, Dragunovs, or Mosins are lame... well, you should work on that issue.

• Like 1

Nodeaglenodeaglenodeaglenodeagle. And I would say no 10mm either, those aren't common in Chernarus-like parts of the world where 99% of handguns seem to be 9x19 or 9x18. .38/357 could definitely work though, as well as .22.

I would also like to see more chamberings, including 7.62x25 Tokarev, but they have to be stuff that would actually be seen over there.

I'm fine with 10mm as long as we get a cameo of Fallout's N99 10mm Pistol.

Depends on the gun in question... my personal opinion:

Not okay weapons

M24 - nope... should be obvious.

M40A3 - nope... should be obvious.

Lee-Enfield - nope... Mosin please.

Winchester - nope... should be obvious.

Revolver - nope, not in .45 ACP that is.

DMR - nope, American. And old.

M14 AIM - nope, American. And old.

M240 - nope, replace with almost identical FN MAG

M249 - nope, replace with almost identical FN Minimi

Mk48 - nope, did SOCOM somehow lose a bunch of these?

L85s - nope, were the Brits in Chernarus?

Remington 870 - nope, they have their own pump-actions and semi-autos.

I agree with you on the M40A3, Enfield, DMR, M240, Mk48, L85 and Remington.

However; assuming that guns like the M4 are in and Americans played some part in this (All the HMMWVs around say something) the M249 should be an albeit rare find. The M24, like the M249 is a common sniper rifle in the US military, and is very commercially exported, I'd expect it to at least remain while being rare. I'd like to have the M14 still in (Without the Aimpoint) because its slightly common worldwide but just in general a nice weapon to have [i'd still like it to be very very rare]. I don't really care about the current Winchester, but I do want an 1887 [sawed-Off].

But then again, I don't really want ANY of the weapons to be 'Replaced', just made very rare. They already exist and having a huge variety of weapons still adds to the depth, but I'd be fine with them only spawning in specific places and at very, very fixed rates.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Depends on the gun in question... my personal opinion:

Not okay weapons

M24 - nope... should be obvious.

M40A3 - nope... should be obvious.

Lee-Enfield - nope... Mosin please.

Winchester - nope... should be obvious.

Revolver - nope, not in .45 ACP that is.

DMR - nope, American. And old.

M14 AIM - nope, American. And old.

M240 - nope, replace with almost identical FN MAG

M249 - nope, replace with almost identical FN Minimi

Mk48 - nope, did SOCOM somehow lose a bunch of these?

L85s - nope, were the Brits in Chernarus?

Remington 870 - nope, they have their own pump-actions and semi-autos.

Those in blue, should still remain in my humble opinion.

Lee Enfield = While not as "Common" as Mosin Nagants they are still used throughout most countries, both in Europe and the Middle East, plus in a game stand point, it offers a higher capacity over the mosin at 10 rounds instead of 5.

M14 = I agree in removing the use of the Aimpoint scope, but have the default M14 in-game, like the M16 they have still seen widespread use throughout various countries and to argue the weapon is "old" is like saying the Mosin Nagant is a brand new weapon

Remington 870 = Indeed they have their own pump actions and semi-auto's, however the Remington 870 is still one of the widely distributed firearms across the globe. Granted I could see the Military version being replaced with a more common Express or Hunting variant.

As for the rest of the weapons, we still don't know the true backstory behind DayZ and the Standalone. Who are we to tell whether or not before the outbreak that the US and the British came in to provide national aid. It's not unusual for a small country to call on another much larger and powerful country such as the US or the British to help them out in a crisis.

• Like 2

While we're at it, where the fuck are the KSK's?????

Thousands were produced in Russia and China in the 50's and 60's, some of them had to have gone somewhere.

While we're at it, where the fuck are the KSK's?????

Thousands were produced in Russia and China in the 50's and 60's, some of them had to have gone somewhere.

And don't forget Yugoslavia, the Bosnians were even mounting scopes on them in Sarajevo. I bet it will be in the standalone...

W1xgOhN.jpg

And don't forget Yugoslavia, the Bosnians were even mounting scopes on them in Sarajevo. I bet it will be in the standalone...

W1xgOhN.jpg

It HAS to be, I didn't even bother mentioning the YUGO SKS because Russia and China practically should make it a sold fucking deal.

I own a Yugo SKS myself. One of my all time favorite guns to shoot, and 7.62 Wolf is cheap as dirt.

• Like 1

However; assuming that guns like the M4 are in and Americans played some part in this (All the HMMWVs around say something) the M249 should be an albeit rare find. The M24, like the M249 is a common sniper rifle in the US military, and is very commercially exported, I'd expect it to at least remain while being rare.

The M24 is used by a few other countries but the base Remington 700 or any of the countless variants are still a more likely choice... even considering those I'd rather have a European rifle. As for the M249... meh. I'd still rather have the Minimi, it's used by so many countries worldwide and in-game it would be virtually identical, so why not?

Those in blue, should still remain in my humble opinion.

Lee Enfield = While not as "Common" as Mosin Nagants they are still used throughout most countries, both in Europe and the Middle East, plus in a game stand point, it offers a higher capacity over the mosin at 10 rounds instead of 5.

Perhaps - but the British Empire wasn't lording it over Eastern Europe / the Balkans. I'm not terribly opposed to the Lee, though.

Although:

Former German Karabiner 98k rifles were widely distributed throughout the Eastern Bloc, some being refurbished two or three times by different factories.

Germany was much closer and German troops were all up in the area! So wouldn't a Mauser be more commonly found? 20 million + Mausers produced... Yugoslavia also refurbished and produced millions of Mausers.

I heard someone say a Mauser is confirmed for the standalone but don't quote me on that...

Heh just looked it up:

Also being worked on are a Gas Mask, Pilot Helmet, Mauser Rifle, pen/paper, mess tin, can opener [...]

Yup, Mauser in.

M14 = I agree in removing the use of the Aimpoint scope, but have the default M14 in-game, like the M16 they have still seen widespread use throughout various countries and to argue the weapon is "old" is like saying the Mosin Nagant is a brand new weapon

The "old" part was in reference to it and the DMR being largely replaced (or in the process of being replaced) by both the US Army and the USMC. If the weapon was supposedly of USMC provenance, then wouldn't it be an M39 EMR, which was in service as early as 2008, while the USMC entered Chernarus in 2009?

Remington 870 = Indeed they have their own pump actions and semi-auto's, however the Remington 870 is still one of the widely distributed firearms across the globe. Granted I could see the Military version being replaced with a more common Express or Hunting variant.

Yup, true, it wouldn't be absurd to see an 870 over there... but you can only have so many shotguns. Therefore I would replace it with a more "local" type. They'll all be functionally identical in-game so there's no advantage to having the US-made one.

As for the rest of the weapons, we still don't know the true backstory behind DayZ and the Standalone. Who are we to tell whether or not before the outbreak that the US and the British came in to provide national aid. It's not unusual for a small country to call on another much larger and powerful country such as the US or the British to help them out in a crisis.

This is true, but you don't see huge amounts of US weapons in Taliban or Iraqi hands... I doubt the US would stay and watch their entire forces be eaten by zombies (zombies are essentially unarmed people anyways, so I find all zombie apocalypse scenarios a bit unrealistic, whatever :lol: ).

Personally I hope the standalone avoids that - I kind of view it as an excuse, or a method to help suspend people's disbelief (in lieu of creating a well thought-out and authentic weapons list)...

Edited by Gews

"Superior engineered"... that's a loaded statement. Which are more reliable? Even the ammunition design is debatable...

M885A1:

Said to pierce 9.5mm of steel at 300m

62 grains at 905 m/s (M4A1)

Ballistic coefficient 0.176 G1

7N10:

Said to pierce 16mm of steel at 300m

56 grains at 900 m/s (AK-74M)

Ballistic coefficient 0.179 G1

Not to mention things like the more tapered case (more reliable feeding and extraction?) although it is steel...

Anyways, yes, take out (most of) the misfit Western rifles. If you think AKs, PKMs, Dragunovs, or Mosins are lame... well, you should work on that issue.

The AR is more reliable, and the M14 beats the SHIT out of any Russian rifle.

If there were no M14 I probably wouldn't even bother with SA, lol. They won't remove it though. They'll keep all the main staples from the mod, that's just a given.

Are we watching the same interviews and devblogs?

And why wouldn't there be a Desert Eagle? Are you saying there isn't a single Cherno-Russian with exotic taste, there are no crime syndicates that would be interested in a loud, scary sidearm?

The Desert Eagle is an utterly useless heavy piece of shit. There. I said it. It's not controllable, it's not cheap, it's ammunition is not cheap and it's worthless in a combat situation.

And I highly doubt a remote place like Chernarus has crime syndicates.

If there were no M14 I probably wouldn't even bother with SA, lol.

Not sure what to say to the first one... maybe if the AK is an old unmaintained POS with worn-out mags and crappy ammunition. As for the second if there isn't any Gabilondo Plus Ultra with the 5.5 inch extended barrel, I probably won't bother with the standalone either. Doesn't matter that it totally doesn't fit the scenario.

I need this gun

VDDZNgC.jpg?1

• Like 1

They won't remove it though. They'll keep all the main staples from the mod, that's just a given.

Really? Are you sure?

I have a feeling you may well be disappointed. I may be wrong...

Rgds

LoK

If there were no M14 I probably wouldn't even bother with SA, lol. They won't remove it though. They'll keep all the main staples from the mod, that's just a given.

Aren't AK weapons known for being some of the most reliable weapons around? Pretty sure they are, while AR16s and the like are known to jam much more frequently. Also, if you're playing DayZ just because one gun is in it, why don't you play CoD: Black Ops instead? It has the M14 and the shooting mechanics are quite a bit less clunky.

Edited by Clumzy

Aren't AK weapons known for being some of the most reliable weapons around? Pretty sure they are, while AR16s and the like are known to jam much more frequently. Also, if you're playing DayZ just because one gun is in it, why don't you play CoD: Black Ops instead? It has the M14 and the shooting mechanics are quite a bit less clunky.

M16 jamming is old.. Those were the M16A1's that they used in Vietnam. I don't know the background that good, but all I know is that the soldiers were complaining about frequent jamming in the jungle. The modern AR's should be more reliable.

Hello there

I think you'll find that they are both reliable weapons. One can get anal and get statistical but it's hardly worth having a peeing contest here thats available at any game gun forum. Let's get back OT.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

They'll keep all the main staples from the mod, that's just a given.

Do you have some sort of source to back up that particular claim?

If not, don't make assumptions so quickly. I think you will be disappointed when the SA comes out.

The M24 is used by a few other countries but the base Remington 700 or any of the countless variants are still a more likely choice... even considering those I'd rather have a European rifle. As for the M249... meh. I'd still rather have the Minimi, it's used by so many countries worldwide and in-game it would be virtually identical, so why not?

The "old" part was in reference to it and the DMR being largely replaced (or in the process of being replaced) by both the US Army and the USMC. If the weapon was supposedly of USMC provenance, then wouldn't it be an M39 EMR, which was in service as early as 2008, while the USMC entered Chernarus in 2009?

Well, obviously the M14 hasn't been standard issue for any unit (Except I believe one Washington National Guard unit) in the United States Military since the 1980s and most were replaced early on in Vietnam. However, we sold off a ton of those to our Cold War allies so I'd like to believe at least some would militarily show up. It also begs the possibility that Chernarussian guerrillas or arms-dealers [Which it is quite obvious that it has its fair share of] would have some of those. Of course, that's just speculation, because arms dealers will generally use any weapons they deem sell-worthy. I'd also be fine with an M1A and the DMR replaced by the M39 (For realism, the DMR actually is no longer in US service at all.) but of course I'm mostly against the concept of 'replacing' weaponry but moreso making it super rare unless it makes absolutely no sense [Like the DMR, which no other countries use].

I agree with you on the Minimi and MAG too, but it wouldn't be consistent with the idea that US forces entered there. Then again, I don't really care, as long as I see some sort of that gun I'm fine with it. I'm sure the only people that play the game who REALLY do care whether the gun is an M249 or a Minimi would probably be us forumers :-P.

M16 jamming is old.. Those were the M16A1's that they used in Vietnam. I don't know the background that good, but all I know is that the soldiers were complaining about frequent jamming in the jungle. The modern AR's should be more reliable.

You're right and wrong; Yes, the main problems with the jam actually came from the M16 [The original variant] when they were issued to US Soldiers. That was because they did not issue ample gun maintenance supplies and that version was very prone to jamming. They then upgraded to the M16A1 which had far less jamming problems, however they still had quite a lot of problems.

They weren't really 'solved' until the M16A2 when jamming became a lot less prevalent and the military started issuing better cleaning and maintenance gear. Nowawdays your M16 model will probably not jam as long as you keep it maintained, but it still has problems left unmaintained. Still, modern versions are much more reliable and in combat I'd still prefer an M4 over an AKM.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

The Desert Eagle is an utterly useless heavy piece of shit. There. I said it. It's not controllable, it's not cheap, it's ammunition is not cheap and it's worthless in a combat situation.

And I highly doubt a remote place like Chernarus has crime syndicates.

I know it's shitty. And Chernarus isn't remote. Where there's ex clients, there's crime. I'm not trying to defend the Deagle as a good weapon.

Hello chaps, I'm an English gentleman on vacation when this terrible apocalypse thing happened and i want this gun..

Webley-Fosbery-left-sm.jpg

Good day.

Ahhh the old automatic revolver.

I bought this one up quite a while ago.

Only me and Zardoz use 'em

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

The hell is wrong with the Desert Eagle? Or the smaller, .45 cousin, the Double Eagle?

Anyway:

Rocket has pretty much confirmed civilian pistols, hasn't he?

Because they are far from common, and are kind of impractical.

Why don't you go play CoD and quit hamming up the forums with such tripe?

Do you have some sort of source to back up that particular claim?

If not, don't make assumptions so quickly. I think you will be disappointed when the SA comes out.

I doubt it.

Most things in the SA so far have just been copy-pasta'd straight from ARMA 2 and the mod, I'm pretty sure they'll be about as thorough with the arsenal. The video you sent me just seemed like a minor off-hand comment.

I'll check first of course before I even buy the SA, no cool guns, no buying 8)

Who would want to play a zombie survival game with only limp Russian garden hoses in it? LoL!

Edited by Ozelot