SmashT

E3 Expo - June 2013 - Interviews and Gameplay

I think he was just playing it safe. In other interviews and reddit posts he has said everything from "release is imminent", "very soon" and "we just have to deal with some administrative stuff". So my guess is that anything can happen.

• Like 1

I think the only major weird animation I saw is the "lowered gun run" animation...the dude kinda keeps his body straight up and his head static and sorta just cradles the gun around

I honestly don't think it will be a few months. Every other time he or Matt have been asked they have said very soon.

He actually said both "very soon" and "a few months" when asked about when people would be able to get their hands on it. "Soon" means something very different to developers vs. consumers.

• Like 1

Guys Dean has talked about this before, and him saying "in a few months" I don't think was meant for the alpha but for the real release. He stated multiple times he doesn't wish for lots of ppl playing the alpha will not cater to lots of people. That's exactly why he said "in a few months", targeting the general audience.. imo

To me it sounded a lot like he's setting up for a let-down, what with all the talking about not buying the game in early alpha, it having a lot of bugs and still needing a lot of work (few months till playable) etc.

But this is just how I interpreted it. I hope that both I am wrong and that the game is progressing nicely. I really do wish Dean and his team the best.

Broader audience watching the gamespot stream, rocket wants a smooth release and not so many people playing the game right after first release, nor build any hype. Maybe that's why he gave the 'a few months' estimate.

Guys Dean has talked about this before, and him saying "in a few months" I don't think was meant for the alpha but for the real release. He stated multiple times he doesn't wish for lots of ppl playing the alpha will not cater to lots of people. That's exactly why he said "in a few months", targeting the general audience.. imo

Not possible to have full release in FEW months with the amount of stuff new and redesigned that he wants to put in game. It will be next year for the full release if we are lucky. Just look at other indie games how long they were/are in alpha and beta stages even minecraft.

Edited by MACtic
  • Like 1

I did not meant full release. What I meant was a version of that game that is enjoyable by the majority of the people. Not a specific moment(alpha/beta/full) but just at some point where most of the major bugs will have been resolved, vehicles have been incorporated and other improvements making the game worthwhile for lots of ppl.

• Like 1

Release = The game is at a point where it has most of the intended features in place, some bugs, exploitables and glitches remain, patches follow to address such issues. A WELL CRAFTED BED FRAME, MINUS THE WOOD POLISH.

Sorry. Exploits, bugs, and glitches should never make it into a release. They do, and it has become a common thing, and so people find it to be "normal" but not something anyone should expect.

Games should be tested, bugs and glitches should be reported and fixed, and this is all done during our Alpha/Beta stages. Once the game is solid then it moves to release, but I guess that's a perfect world. Adding new content may create a new bug/glitch so I understand the need to patch, but releasing a game that hasn't been fully tested on the premise that you'll just patch things later is ... crappy ...

I realize that games years ago would have glitches and bugs, and it's just something we lived with because they didn't have the ability to patch games, but I think developers rely too heavily on that function now and release games without proper testing just because they can "patch it later". That's just my opinion on the gaming industry as a whole.

That all being said I think this game needs a lot of work, but I think it's in a stage where it's alright to release to public so mass testing can be done and proper feedback can be given.

I am liking the clean and simplistic inventory system, minus the font. Something about that font bothers me but otherwise I think it's good. Will see how they improve on it.

• Like 1

I did not meant full release. What I meant was a version of that game that is enjoyable by the majority of the people. Not a specific moment(alpha/beta/full) but just at some point where most of the major bugs will have been resolved, vehicles have been incorporated and other improvements making the game worthwhile for lots of ppl.

That sounds like a reasonable assumption, but it's still best to not get your hopes up.

Whatever happens, it (open alpha) won't start until Rocket's happy with the state of the build. And his opinion of it could be changing every day for all we know.

That would essentially be the full release...

That would essentially be the full release...

Says who?

We have no idea what kind of content will be added 2/4/6 months down the line.

The scope of the project, I think, is bigger than we can see right now.

Disregarding bugs that will inevitably arise, content-wise DayZ will have a LOT to offer, even while it's still under heavy development.

Hmmm... all this vehicle talk from Dean has got me thinking.

Honest to god, I wouldn't mind DayZ without vehicles for a while. I really wouldn't mind if they were put on the backburner for other things.

I'd rather have barricade-able houses than customizable vehicles. But, on the other hand, customizable vehicles could be a good testbed for houses. I don't know, I just really could care less about vehicles. Is anyone with me? Or am I alone?

• Like 3

Honest to god, I wouldn't mind DayZ without vehicles for a while. I really wouldn't mind if they were put on the backburner for other things.

I'd rather have barricade-able houses than customizable vehicles. But, on the other hand, customizable vehicles could be a good testbed for houses. I don't know, I just really could care less about vehicles. Is anyone with me? Or am I alone?

I plan on having a lot of fun without them. I'll take my time, explore, etc.

• Like 2

You're not. I'd rather they don't bother porting old ARMA 2 vehicles and just redo them completely later on. Exploring the new map is going to be more fun without vehicles. In the early days of the mod you would rarely come across one anyway and it was great. As for barricade-able houses, it seems to me like one of those ideas that sound cool in theory but in practice would never work. What would be the purpose of barricading an existing house in DayZ world?

You're not. I'd rather they don't bother porting old ARMA 2 vehicles and just redo them completely later on. Exploring the new map is going to be more fun without vehicles. In the early days of the mod you would rarely come across one anyway and it was great. As for barricade-able houses, it seems to me like one of those ideas that sound cool in theory but in practice would never work. What would be the purpose of barricading an existing house in DayZ world?

It makes temporary base-building fun. And, it could have its advantages in prolonged firefights.

There's no greater feeling than holing up in a factory and barricading some of the entrances with tank traps and whatnot, and sitting in your little castle like a king.

• Like 1

Probably because it's a free roam world and you might want to setup camp in a structure. Board up a window, a door, or whatever to fortify your position... People like choices and customization.

I've discussed this a lot, but it would have to be accompanied by a few things. First, storable containers indoors. Second, shelter needs to be made significant (benefits to health and stronger effects of weather). Likewise, and Rocket has said as much, it will be possible to clear an area for at least a while. Which could make for exciting gameplay if a clan manages to cordon off a town for their own uses, which leaves endless possibilities.

All of the benefits of the proposed "underground" shelter can be applicable to existing houses, while being more organic and immersive in my opinion.

Or am I alone?

I think you're in the minority. It's a nice achievement to get a vehicle working after you searched for hours or days looking for parts. Now you can travel to locations quicker with a higher level of protection all while painting a huge target on yourself. I really like what they've done with vehicles in Arma III so I think not porting over Arma II stuff was a wise choice, plus again I like the customization features proposed with the new ideas.

I think you're in the minority. It's a nice achievement to get a vehicle working after you searched for hours or days looking for parts. Now you can travel to locations quicker with a higher level of protection all while painting a huge target on yourself. I really like what they've done with vehicles in Arma III so I think not porting over Arma II stuff was a wise choice, plus again I like the customization features proposed with the new ideas.

I may very well be, but I actually think it might be good for the community to do without for a while. I mean, I still walk 90% of my time in DayZ even on high vehicle count servers/mods. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I think a lot of people have been spoiled by how easy vehicles are to maintain.

To prove my point, I see people whining (yes, actually whining, not just hyperbole whining) for rides from the coast. This never used to happen, and really sort of underscores how spoiled people have become when they expect pickups along the coast. Granted, I attribute this more to the faults of sidechat more than anything, but the sentiment is still there.

Edited by Katana67

I may very well be, but I actually think it might be good for the community to do without for a while. I mean, I still walk 90% of my time in DayZ even on high vehicle count servers/mods. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I think a lot of people have been spoiled by how easy vehicles are to maintain.

When I played Day Z I would nearly always be on foot. Trying to coordinate with friends to meet up when you're on two sides of the country sucks though, and when you have a goal like.. "Hey, we're in Kamenka lets go to NEAF" ... You basically are forced to just run through the woods for 40 minutes to reach your destination, but that is kind of where the Standalone will hopefully shine. In the fact that any area could potentionally have good loot and you won't know unless you look for it, although I still think high end things should naturally appear in their respective locations so things like the military areas will still be popular areas to b-line for.

When I played Day Z I would nearly always be on foot. Trying to coordinate with friends to meet up when you're on two sides of the country sucks though, and when you have a goal like.. "Hey, we're in Kamenka lets go to NEAF" ... You basically are forced to just run through the woods for 40 minutes to reach your destination, but that is kind of where the Standalone will hopefully shine. In the fact that any area could potentionally have good loot and you won't know unless you look for it, although I still think high end things should naturally appear in their respective locations so things like the military areas will still be popular areas to b-line for.

I guess I don't really get that, as I play alone most of the time. But, to me, that's part of the magic... and a valuable weight on gameplay. Rather than just beaming over to NEAF for ten minutes and back off with some nice loot, actually preparing for a journey, scaring the crap out of myself at every snapped twig in the woods on my way there, then the tension of looting the place and making it back to base in one piece is just more rewarding to me.

It's not that I don't like vehicles, whenever I find one, you can bet your ass I'm using that bad boy. But, my main issue is that they're far too easy to repair and maintain to justify their benefits. Tires fit EVERY vehicle, engine parts fit EVERY vehicle. Which I'm sure is a problem they'll rectify in SA. But if vehicles were made harder to repair, with scarce fuel availability, I think they'd be more valuable... less likely to be used... and would fall more in line with the tension of DayZ. Plus, if sidechat were disabled across the board, I think they'd be seen as less of a common occurance and more of a significant "thing" if that makes any sense.

Doing without for a while might help get back to that baseline.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 5

In regards to vehicles, i personally have never really bothered with them, with the exception of the bicycle. I have never had much patience to fix one up but i can really see how some players and groups want them in asap.

And to be honest hearing a vehicle or chopper heading your way is one of those classic DayZ moments.

• Like 5