scaramoosh

The number one issue my friends talk about is how the game has turned into kill on sight.

1 out of 4 players I meet are friendly, but unfortunately 1/4 of the time I'm playing as a bandit instead.

KoS is a problem, but it ain't half as bad as people complain it is.

Did anyone notice that a much larger majority of this thread response were people basically saying "This is the way it is, try playing pure hero it's super challenging and fun" rather than just whinning right along with the op? I think the dayz player base may be changing just a bit :P

So it's this thread again.

I kill on sight because that's what I enjoy doing, there is no other endgame for me and the PvP is all that matters to me. Once you have played long enough, I'm sure you will be able to relate to the fact that players are the only challenge the game can provide and perhaps even appreciate the more complicated aspects of PvP and how rewarding some experiences are.

If it were the other way around, and 9/10 players would be friendly, the game would become extremely boring after a matter of days; what are you going to do, farm gear to kill zombies that don't even require killing?

Maybe I'm wrong but making ammo scarce would solve a lot of KOS mentality. In example, finding an AK with half a magazine instead of 3 full mags etc.

This combined with tougher Zeds, that we'll see in the next patch, I believe most players would choose cooperation to increase their odds of survival. That is as soon as everyone realizes that almost nobody has enough ammo to be worth killing for or taking that risk anyway.

Bandits will always be bandits, and DayZ wouldn't be as fun without them, but hopefully this would encourage some of them to try and rob others from time to time to preserve ammo.

This is all based on my experience because:

1. I always have more than enough ammo and,

2. I was never robbed and forced to run butt naked in the opposite direction since I started playing a year ago

This game needs to decide what it is a FPS or survival MMO? Because in the latter scarce ammo should go without saying.

Main reason people kill on sight must be because the game gets so incredibly booring over time. Running around with an M4 SD and Rangefinders shooting zombies gets very booring over time, so then they are like "hey, lets get our heart pounding and go to the north-west to kill some people and have some fun".Thats how i look at it and why i kill people.

• Like 1

now Dayz has just turned into crap and it's because it isn't doing anything to promote not shooting on sight.

You are limited by your imagination. Be creative, make fun happen.

• Like 1

Its very simple i said it before.

You need a squad type system ( or factions)

Ppl wont kill on sight if punished. It might kill the imersion a little but you could have a faction for lone wolves and im sure it can be tweaked to not look so formal.

• Like 1

Yup, I mostly use Dayz to pvp by now, I can't say that this is not fun (everyone can enjoy to drop down 3-4 players from 600-800m in less than 5min). I'm just saying that this is a waste of potential. This game could be different, for now it’s just ‘one of these games’ with the difference that you have to eat and drink. And since most of the time we are also wasting your time waiting for a target, sometime it’s even more fun to play on a server with AI, at least you have 3-12 targets in each town, less boring when the AI work in team and have a good aiming.

Dayz is for pvp? Yeah sure, we can have a lot of fun, every soul here seem to love the ‘hunting’ aspect of the game and being ‘a skilled sniper’, but stop claiming that Dayz is unique, there are plenty of pvp arena game like that out there. In my opinion, and of course I can be wrong, I think that we could have a better game if we only had 10-15-20% of bandits per server and that they were clearly identified from the start. I will not elaborate because that only a personal opinion motivated by some arguments that have already been debated.

But please, think outside the box, even people like me shoot on sight by now and understand the meaning of ‘sandbox’ and the great idea to be able to do everything we want when we want it. Even people like me enjoy the trill of dropping down 3 players single handed with an ak-74 or by sniping them with an m107/dmr. But at the end, this is possible that ultimately, we don’t feel that this game is unique and yeah, we may thing that 1-2 rules can make this game memorable. You may thing that this is far to be a good idea, but stop thinking that people have a limited mind or are soft-hearted when they give their opinion, seriously, you are insulting your own intelligence when you do so.

Personally, I think the game is great the way it is - speaking to the permissiveness of PvP. Really, for a free to play mod that has provided me with months of long play sessions, what DayZ gets right is amazing. Whatever remains that one might classify as unpolished ... well I get into quirks and foibles in PC games. They heighten the experience. Just pretend you're taking a stroll through a seventy year old minefield.

But seriously, without bad guys or the freedom to be bad yourself from time to time, DayZ would lack something ... essential. I do not like KoS. However, from time to time I meet other survivors who I come to dislike even more than KoS. Thus the beauty of the freedom of choice. Just let the aspect you dislike most make you a better player by your own standards.

DayZ is not about the game adapting to you. It is about how well you adapt to it in order to conquer adversity.

Edited by Saethkept

I think map design has a lot to do with it as well, everyone is basically at Cherno or Elektro because the rest of the map is quite dull and people don't want to waste their time running to places that offer nothing else. Running to the airstrip at the top isn't worth it as half the time there is never anything worthwhile there, might as well just go to the fire stations, military tents or Balota.

In the standalone they need to add like a river going through the map, a major city in the middle, spice up some of the smaller towns. It just needs more....

This is probably the most discussed topic on the forums. Just sayin.

since when? :thumbsup:

Just a heads up, if you don't like getting shot, use cover and concealment.

There just needs to be a reason NOT to shoot. We don't have to discourage PvP.

The other problem is that the main loot in the game is guns. I mean really, what's the first thing you wanna do when you get a gun? You want to shoot something that's fun to shoot- a human. Zombies are too easy to kill, so they're not satisfying to shoot.

I was having this type of discussion with my friends while playing the mod awhile back, thinking ahead.

My only input I could think of was:"A player neutral town with NPC Merchants and interior guards, surrounded by cover, or Forrest so as it would be difficult to get there, just as well as to get out alive."

A neutral ground introduces much more things to deal with, but it also brings with it great atmosphere and it can produce a social environment in my opinion.

Not everyone in a crisis chooses to be bare bone with their emotions, people adapt and survive in many ways.

People who are driven to just post up and kill will be deterred by the survival aspects, as well as fighting for their own lives to be one track minded. (I hope)

There are many concepts they as a team could do to make this a great experience in the long run. I just hope they are thinking about these things with clarity.

Rule of thumb for free choice games without restrictions:

KCl9yKQ.jpg"

Hence why such a game hasn't been made.

It's not the bandits that are a problem - you can avoid them.

it's the wubdublensflarewarfieldofduty #45 players hoarding what should be anti-vehicle weaponry, sitting somewhere they're absolutely impossible to see outside a hotspot and dropping everyone they see because they can.

Bandits steal gear, hence the term bandit and not just psychopath/sociopath - the current deathmatchers would rather just kill you and leave your body as bait to kill the next sap which is (dean voice) un-authentic feeling, note i didn't say unrealistic because for all I know you all are psychopaths and sociopaths.

The increased high yield areas of the SA, the weapon down by default, the lack of ability to spawn in barrets and as50's with the amount of ammo needed to deathmatch will all factor into a more balanced game. But there will always be douchebags, and this game just empowers them. If you find that to be a problem it's time to find another game because any forced restriction will make 90% of the players playing quit, because well... you can figure that part out from your own post.

I just don't enjoy the experience like what I had just now... person spawns in behind us and kills us... like wtf? Why allow players to spawn on players? Just a dumb mechanic for a start but why kill sumone who doesn't even have a bandit skin? Makes me think those Frankie videos are staged because he meets friendly people, I never do, always kill on sight. I never kill on sight, only ever speak first and then get shot... just dumb because the game gives no benefit to working together. The only grouping mechanic is blood bags and no one cares because you can just respawn and be back to where you were at max 30 mins later.

Just had a game after not playing DayZ/ Deathmatch for 2 months and got KOS by the fist player I came across on a server with 7 players.And that player that shot me was KOS before I died

I seen a post from Rocket a few days ago saying DayZ is a MMO and Arma is fps...Dont think so.

It has been like this always unless you was one of those few that played the mod in April or so. I've met a lot of friendlies though.. One guy even had a .50 in his backpack and I had a crossbow. I would have been concerned about my gear at that point. But I never shot him. He helped me fix my bike.

Edited by Sutinen

1. There's no such thing as a 'Real' Zombie apocalypse, and 2. Even if there were, you've never been in one, so how would you know?

This is a logical fallacy, it doesn't stop you making educated guesses.

The Argument from Ignorance is when something is unknown to you, therefore it must be unknown to everyone.

Edited by disorder

This is a logical fallacy, it doesn't stop you making educated guesses.

The Argument from Ignorance is when something is unknown to you, therefore it must be unknown to everyone.

And an educated guess in this situation could easily go either way.

Look, this argument keeps coming up over and over again.

1) The game is KOS because that's how people want to play it. That's why you have all the "600 vehicles! Custom bases! Spawn with a machinegun!" servers. They want to run and gun through cherno and not care if they get killed because they can just pick up more gear in 5 minutes.

2) Who told you the game is NOT KOS? From the moment I heard about this game, the one consistent message was "beware of other players and especially bandits".

3) Maybe you need to work on your people skills? I meet friendly (or at least not immediately hostile) players all the time. If you jump out at someone with a ghillie suit and a silenced M4 and don't say anything, they are going to shoot you. If you don't want to get KOS, you need to see the other guy first, and then try to communicate with him from a tactically advantageous position. If he doesn't respond or acts weird, then kill him.

4) As it stands, the game is more or less accidently designed for KOS. There isn't much to "do". Other than some pretty scenery, there isn't a lot to explore. Once you know the lay of the land, surviving is pretty easy. Living out in the far wilderness gets pretty boring. So what do people do? They run to Cherno and Electro to get their basic gear. Then they run to NWAF or Stary Sober or try to find a heli crash in the fields up there so they can grab military hardware. Then back down to the coast to kill people in Cherno and Electro.

I think the standalone might fix some of the KOS problems. The way rocket described them - controlled on the server, attracted to sound, wont stop chasing you - it sounds like it will be a lot harder to just snipe at people or start a running gun battle without attracting every zombie in the area.

Holy fuck this thread again im starting to think these threads are all made by one person surely not all of you are this stupid

The ruleset makes you think back to UO times, but the current game lacks mechanics to make a friendly playstyle viable or desirable for more than a fraction of the players.

Ideally, I would like to see some mechanics in place to reward friendly play. Perhaps access to some NPC city at a certain Hero level. Origins has a pretty thought out system, but something like an NPC city or other substantial reward for friendly play would be needed to make it a more popular playstyle.

This topic has been discussed to death and beyond the grave countless times. No argument here is new, for either side. I am going to lock this for such reasons.

OP if you feel as if my reason(s) for locking are not valid, please PM me.