RollingLizard1

M&KB or xBox controller?

Recently I was just on a forum on how to set up a xbox controller with DayZ the fighting that started over that war amazed me. M&KB or controller......who cares? As long as a lot of people are buying the stand alone version and the developers are making lots of money, so they keep working on the game to make it better. Now for all you people who keep emphasizing that DayZ is a pc game, if or I should say when they port DayZ to consoles, where do you think the most revenue is going to be made? From all those (insert your favorite term for console users here) not the pc crowd. Another thing to think about once ported will there be separate servers for pc users and console users, I don't think so. Get ready for a huge influx of console users. In my option this will just make DayZ better.

The Main problem with console players is that the want to do everything handholded, look at what happened to the Battlefield franchise...

• Like 2

The thing is, you will get more out of PC. I still feel that next-gen consoles will still not meet the expectations of DayZ. The size of the map and the dynamic features will just strain them. If there will be a console port, map size will be scaled down and some features will not be included. Even if console gets more sales than PC, its all about quality over quantity.

+ I still feel there are too many buttons for a controller to handle.

Edited by BwobBwub

ull never get the most out of arma/dayz if u play with a controller.

there is just too many things u can do in this game.

and no, i doubt pc will ever be merged with console player pool for dayz

Edited by h3retic

I'm confused as to the point of your post.

Are you warning us that a console version if the SA is inevitable, wanting to discuss controllers or just wanting a good old argument that has already been done to death about consoles vs PC's?

I have no idea.

• Like 1

I'm confused as to the point of your p'1370462149' ost.

Are you warning us that a console version if the SA is inevitable, wanting to discuss controllers or just wanting a good old argument that has already been done to death about consoles vs PC's?

I have no idea.

I guess I worded it wrong went off on a tangent sorry. Was just curious why so many people get heated up over what input devices people use to play games.

Well, people get heated up over all sorts of things like controllers, inventory fonts, cans, the list is endless.

I know a few people that play DayZ with a controller and they play well too, it's just a case of what you feel comfortable with. Personally I don't care if people use a potato to play DayZ, it really doesn't effect my own enjoyment of the game so they can do what they like.

• Like 1

I guess I worded it wrong went off on a tangent sorry. Was just curious why so many people get heated up over what input devices people use to play games.

I guess simply because a controller is always going to be inferior against a M&KB in FPS..also, In my personal opinion I believe controllers are a direct association with consoles, which are tending to dumb down all my favorite games lately..

• Like 1

I don't know how you could play DayZ or ArmA properly with an Xbox controller. A controller would get you get raped in PvP... right?

Mouse and Keyboard is significantly better than a controller for any shooter, it's not even a competition.

The reason people get annoyed because there is always the console tards that believe that they are so good with a controller that they can beat PC players - that is far from the case and without auto-aim and sticky targeting controller players are left in the dust.

Microsoft did quite a few experiments and pitted some of the best console players in the world against PC gamers and even mediocre PC gamers were absolutely creaming the players using controllers.

Edit: http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/hp-man-slams-microsoft-for-pc-gaming-fail-704953

Some reading for anyone that is interested.

Edited by Rossums

I wonder what happens if and when DayZ is ported to consoles... I hope there's no cross-platform servers... auto-aim is dirty cheating if only one side has it.

• Like 1

I wonder what happens if and when DayZ is ported to consoles... I hope there's no cross-platform servers... auto-aim is dirty cheating if only one side has it.

It wouldn't work.

Console users would require the usual auto-aim/sticky targeting which would make a significant difference in a game like DayZ.

On the other hand, if they didn't get it they are severely outmatched, even for newer players - I hope if it hits consoles they keep them both separate.

People using controllers (if it were possible) are always going to get dicked on by m&kb players. I suppose it depends on the player but the accuracy and reaction times of a mouse is always gonna beat dual analog sticks.

Imagine the way PC gamers would clean up if you had mixed servers...oh the delicious tears!!

• Like 1

More console players the better, its a lul fest seeing them try to play wasteland, call of duty =/= arma

Another thing to think about once ported will there be separate servers for pc users and console users, I don't think so. Get ready for a huge influx of console users. In my option this will just make DayZ better.

The console version will be a completely different game, there isn't a chance in hell you'll see console and PC players on the same servers, lol.

• Like 2

I bet the console version gets a flashy UI though QQ.

Edited by Fraggle

I mean honestly its your comfort level. Some people are very good with M&KB than Controller. It depends on what your used to.

Was just curious why so many people get heated up over what input devices people use to play games.

Simple. People are dickheads.

I have a mate that prefers to play Dayz with his controller. Doesn't bother me and why should it? If that what HE likes, go for it.

• Like 1

I use a PS3 controller AND keyboard/mouse. For driving, I use a combination of controller and mouse... controller to move and mouse to look around. For flying, I use just the controller. It took a bit of tweaking to get the sensitivity right, but it works really well. For example, when driving, I have the Fast Forward set to up on the left analog stick, so I can creep along slowly (slower than Q speed) or jet down the street and any speed between depending on how much I push the stick forward - can't do that with the keyboard. I can make really minor adjustments and riding the moto is a blast. For flying, I have the rudders set to the analog buttons so I can make minor adjustments in the heli. And I look around using the right analog stick... Not as smooth as a mouse, but good enough.

I don't use it for infantry/survivor movement. The transitions are jerky (especially when zigging and zagging) and there are too many options to make it practical. So, I use mouse and keyboard for that. Each has it's place in the game. I wish I could afford track IR - tried a free alternative and was disappointed... that would be a dream setup. But, I don't need it, really.

Edited by entspeak

More console players the better, its a lul fest seeing them try to play wasteland, call of duty =/= arma

Are you implying that all console players play ArmA like Call of Duty?

Generally speaking it does not matter what they use but in a way some people try to help them along, controllers put you at a huge disadvantage to anyone with a mouse and keyboard, which is.. pretty much everyone.

Mouse gives you almost 2x as much control of your aiming, is more responsive (Tweaking DPI, Polling, etc..) and just feels better. I currently play ArmA with head bobing turned off and smoothing turned off (Makes looking around smoother), combine that with 4000 DPI which is what I play at and you can do a full 180 in a split second and kill that sneaky basterd who comes up behind you. Try doing that on a controller, even if you adjust your sensitivity, you will you will end up dead.

You also find on controllers some buttons will have two/three assignments on games, where as on a gaming keyboard were you sometimes have the extra keys, you can assign everything to its individual key, all within comftable reach of your fingers. Some mouses even come with buttons that you can assign keys to so you don't have to move your hand from one side of the keyboard to the other. I have a logitech G35 (I think thats the one anyway...) and half my keyboard is assigned to that thing.

To sum it up, you have almost double the amount of customisation and flexability with a mouse and keyboard. But to each his own. I used to play 95% console gamer my entire life until last year.. Now? It feels weird to hold a controller.

The console version will be a completely different game, there isn't a chance in hell you'll see console and PC players on the same servers, lol.

no it wont it will be 99 percent the same . control method will be about on difference. the new consoles have a better spec than av pc gamer so they will be more than capable of runnning dayz as good as most gamers on pc platform. before the next rant about pc specs being higher look on steam for eg at avg gamer and youll see most have old crappy pcs or older lower spec dualcore rigs . so the newer xbox 1 and ps4 will trounce them and are basically a med pc anyway.

they could cross platform them and have done in other games and it always comes down to one thing = controllers and keyboard. if they added full keyboard support for xbox 1 and ps4 boom ! you wouldnt know the difference. i dont get why they wouldnt add that as it would sell alot more units and 99 percent of games are ports for console anyway.

if they added full keyboard support for xbox 1 and ps4 boom ! you wouldnt know the difference. i dont get why they wouldnt add that as it would sell alot more units and 99 percent of games are ports for console anyway.

So you buy a £400-£500 console only to use a keyboard and mouse anyway? Surely that cancels out the point of buying a console?

The console is designed so that you can sit back on your sofa away from your TV, with a wireless controller. Could you get a wireless keyboard and mouse? Yes, but then you need a solid platform i.e. A desk, so that really comes back to what this arguement is about... Why not just buy a PC in that case?

You could easily put together a mid-end gaming PC for around the same price tag, seriously.. YouTube, some of these guys get insane price to performence.

I don't care if DayZ does end up on consoles. But the genre of the game itself doesn't fit consoles, and the genre in general has never fitted consoles. If it did, MMO's would be largely multi-platform. It doesn't fit the audience, and would fail badly. Just my two cents.

So you buy a £400-£500 console only to use a keyboard and mouse anyway? Surely that cancels out the point of buying a console?

If your reasons for buying a console is so you can use a controller sat on your couch, that's a very expensive controller you're buying.

Edited by Boshed