Sign in to follow this  
person915

SA Suggestion: Making An Effort

Here's a suggestion for the devs:

-lots of guns

-lots of cars

...but really freaking messed up. Getting a car and gun should be as easy as it is now, but getting it working should be a different story. Think about it. It's been 5 YEARS. The military has scattered their weapons and now they're battered and torn, broken and need fixing. The civvies have used and used their guns and the rest lie in ever-changing conditions for the time after that. There's a lot of guns, they're just BROKEN.

Getting a gun should be an effort. It makes you feel invested, and will have other effects that I don't want to make a point of because they aren't relevant to the suggestion and don't support it, and I don't want to derail this quickly on discussing these effects and whether or not I'm correct. It also gives a sentimental feeling, and makes DayZ a game that you can't just go into, shoot a bunch of people and be done with. It's now a survival game, something that people have wanted. That sniper on Elektro hill better have everything he needs to clean that grease-trap, especially the good military stuff for his high-end gun.

Same with cars. There will be TONS on the roads, but they will be crashed, busted, and need fixing, and few that don't.

Think about it. It's been 5 YEARS.

I'm sorry have I missed something?
  • Like 4

It is not mentioned how long the outbreak has occurred.

For all we know, it could have just happened recently.

It's been known the outbreak happened for 5 years since 2007, to 2012,and also DayZ 2017 is set 10 years after the infection 5 MORE years after this DayZ.

I think he may be mixed up with DayZ 2017

Alternatively, play Wasteland?

It's been known the outbreak happened for 5 years since 2007, to 2012

No it isn't - you've just completely fabricated that.

DayZ hasn't had an official background story developed/released yet.

• Like 2

In the Mod its apparent to me that the Outbreak happened some time ago. Which doesnt make much sense how has my Character survived all this time. The Buildings clearly were abandoned for what looks like Years. I hope the SA deals with this issue, but the SA Pics once again look like the Outbreak happened a considerable time ago

Alternatively, play Wasteland?

Ummm... While i reserve judgment on the suggestion in question...

I do believe you may need to read the OP again....

;)

• Like 1

I'm sorry have I missed something?

This should not be a concern. It disheartens me to think even if you TRY to prevent thread derailing, people will still come in and plant the seed.

So maybe I have a misconception about the year, or timeframe, but that doesn't fucking matter. You come in and say one thing that barely has to do with the thread except that it's in the OP,and you don't even give anything to the actual suggestion! Come on people. And no, this isn't queue for you to highlight a sentence and reply to me about thread derailation, topic relevance,or timeframe. You want to do that, shoot me a PM, and I'll edit as needed.

Talk about the suggestion, please.

Okay - in my view, it's a bad idea.

They've completely reworked the loot system to make it more of a challenge to find things - you have to search every nook and cranny for loot; whilst I can sympathise at the availability of weapons should be more expansive, and not locked to specific loot locations, your suggestion just seems a little killjoy. It's not gonna be exciting finding a weapon if they're literally all over the place.

I think the fact you'll have to maintain your weapon's status will be sufficient enough, but the idea of all weapons being broken and rusted over is null and void anyway, because you don't know the timescale the storyline will be following.

I would like to see more vehicles totalled/borderline unrepairable for the sake of atmospheric value too.

• Like 1

In the Mod its apparent to me that the Outbreak happened some time ago. Which doesnt make much sense how has my Character survived all this time. The Buildings clearly were abandoned for what looks like Years. I hope the SA deals with this issue, but the SA Pics once again look like the Outbreak happened a considerable time ago

no dude. thats just what it looks like in russia.

• Like 2

DayZ 2017 is set 5 years after the outbreak. For all we know the outbreak started in the first days of April (Mod released). No one really knows since there is no background story yet.

Agree that everything should be busted up and difficult to repair, but guns should be rare, really make finding that AK-74 an event.

Vehicles should be all over the place but so wrecked that most of the time you'll be lucky to salvage one or two good working parts from them.

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 2

Not sure about this... it depends where would you be finding the guns, I suppose. Lying in a ditch, or in someone's house?

I'd find it a bit unrealistic to have every gun start out broken... they're made to be rugged and dependable.

• Like 2

Not sure about this... it depends where would you be finding the guns, I suppose. Lying in a ditch, or in someone's house?

I'd find it a bit unrealistic to have every gun start out broken... they're made to be rugged and dependable.

Fair point, I'd like it if at the least they would need some maintenance before you can safely fire them,

Edited by Fluxley

It is a bit odd that some aspects of Chernarus look as though the outbreak happened years ago (rusty cars) but the grass is immaculate and there are no potholes in roads etc.

It is a bit odd that some aspects of Chernarus look as though the outbreak happened years ago (rusty cars) but the grass is immaculate and there are no potholes in roads etc.

Now now - just because the country is in a crisis, doesn't make any excuse for a lax approach to gardening and roadway maintenance!

Yeah, this doesnt bother me at all in the mod as its just a mod, but really hope they sort it out for the standalone.

As it is you could reason that as a result of the military attempting to aggressively quarentine the civilians a civil war broke out explaining all the burnt out wrecks and rubble everywhere, but with that in mind there should be more damage to the buildings.

Edited by Fluxley

Guns are rugged and dependable, but they've also been used. No doubt battered and beaten, fighting off the zombies,and that causes damage. Then they're just left there. Finding a gun shouldn't be exciting, it should be getting one WORKING that's exciting (pertaining to this idea).

Au1fWBJ.jpg

Guns are rugged and dependable, but they've also been used. No doubt battered and beaten, fighting off the zombies,and that causes damage. Then they're just left there. Finding a gun shouldn't be exciting, it should be getting one WORKING that's exciting (pertaining to this idea).

Im hoping that finding absolutely anything will be reason to rejoice in the standalone.

• Like 2

Not so much, my 91/30 Nagant was dragged all over WWII then thrown into storage for 60 years, bought by me, cleaned of the cosmoline and it fires like a boss, the AKM's left over by the russian in the sand box work to this day, with little to no care given to them. Working fire arms won't be an issue.

• Like 1

How about vehicles then? You all have convinced me on the guns, but what about many,broken vehicles?

they're made to be rugged and dependable.

(For the most part)

And to the OP;

No.

I want to feel lucky when I find an empty tin can. That should be the most you'll likely find 90% of the time.

5% of the time it might be clothes. 4% of the time it can be a leftover bag of chips or a really, really rotten pizza. 0.99% of the time it can be some form of working gear. And 0.01% of the time there is a 0.001% chance of a 0.0001% chance that you have a 50% chance that some weapon could spawn if the game likes you.

Edited by Chaingunfighter