maxxe22

tutorial suggestion for STANDALONE

Well i read that forced tutorials are a pain but why not have one like combat arms, i think they had one. They didn't require you to do it but any time you can select it and then choose category. From what was said about the mod there are still people who don't know some controls cause they haven't looked them up. But in case you wanna wing you you don't have to do it. Sound good? 

I had my post closed i guess cause i didn't elaborate but in stand alone everything is changing and was said likely on consoles. They even said it will be nothing like arma so controls could be different for computer and will be confusing on console

Apologies, I wasn't aware that this suggestion was for the SA as opposed to the mod.

Apologies, I wasn't aware that this suggestion was for the SA as opposed to the mod.

Don't worry. As i said it was my fault for not elaborating

Hey never said yours was bad but im a hands on learner. Love your idea though but Idk know long the loading screens will stay in SA. And there can be both

• Like 1

Hey never said yours was bad but im a hands on learner. Love your idea though but Idk know long the loading screens will stay in SA. And there can be both

True. Another approach is that we just drop in the player in a small area of the map and let them fiddle with the controls and graphics settings.

meh im against tuts it took me close to 2 weeks to fully learn the game controls and about 2 months to know the map, why should everyone else have it easy :)

• Like 1

I could imagine that an offline-tutorial would be possible.

You could decide to start "with tutorial". You then spawn locally in tutorial-mode. f.e. wake up, have a guy who rescued you show you around and then drop you off at the shore. Then the game connects to the server and you start your regular game.

If you choose not to go through tutorial mode, you can directly join a game.

I think that type of tutorial would help the most and be in the way the least.

• Like 2

I could imagine that an offline-tutorial would be possible.

You could decide to start "with tutorial". You then spawn locally in tutorial-mode. f.e. wake up, have a guy who rescued you show you around and then drop you off at the shore. Then the game connects to the server and you start your regular game.

If you choose not to go through tutorial mode, you can directly join a game.

I think that type of tutorial would help the most and be in the way the least.

Some games have both yours and mine

I would prefer no tutorial, this game isn't supposed to hold your hand, it's supposed to drop you in unfamiliar territory without any sort of information at all.

The game is also not supposed to be a frustrating rubick's cube of doom for beginners. An Optional tutorial (A la bootcamp) is a very good idea

One of the things i liked when first playing Dayz was the complete lack of a tutorial.

saying that im not against an optional offline tut like suggested.

I've always thought, if anything a "benchmark-island" would be all you need.

Stress your rig and wander about. No interactive stuff, no briefings or hints.

Bootcamp, or any game-mechanic tutorials, would detract from the sense of discovery. (and the initial sense of "oh for fuck's sake")

EDIT:

Maybe to teach folks basic functions, there could be an offline, single player, pre-event intro.

You wake up (scroll wheel menu action tutorial)

Get dressed (clothing and gear menu tutorial)

Make breakfast. Cornflakes and Milk (needs & basic crafting combined)

Exit your house - Get killed by zeds.

Now, go play online.

Nothing more than the most basic game-handling instructions.

The whole point should be figuring out for yourself how to survive.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 5

As said by others there should be something very basic (controls), and for no reason should it show you a map, anything loot-ish, anything zed-ish and anything shoot-ish.

Make them learn it the hard way like we did.

EDIT:

Maybe to teach folks basic functions, there could be an offline, single player, pre-event intro.

Now, go play online.

+1

I've always thought, if anything a "benchmark-island" would be all you need.

Stress your rig and wander about. No interactive stuff, no briefings or hints.

Bootcamp, or any game-mechanic tutorials, would detract from the sense of discovery. (and the initial sense of "oh for fuck's sake")

EDIT:

Now, go play online.

Or you are in a ship and it sink (explain why you spawn on the beach)

• Like 1

How i learned was trial and error after I took an hour on the coast fiddling with my keyboard. I soon after adjusted some keys in the menu in arma, which could be cut down alot in standalone to my liking took about 2 weeks to learn most and after that it was the map and tactics.

- sigh - i understand those who wish to do it the hard way but can someone explain why an optional one is so disagreeable?

I would prefer no tutorial, this game isn't supposed to hold your hand, it's supposed to drop you in unfamiliar territory without any sort of information at all.

I understand your fear to loose the sense of unfamiliarity. But a tutorial isn't suppose to show you everything. It should cover movement (walk/run, crouch, prone) and how to interact with objects, how to open the inventory and stuff like that. A small example like "drag purification-tablet onto waterbottle" would introduce the player to the crafting-concept and after shooting two zombies that got close the tutorial ends. You still know nothing about the world, the items in it or what's to be expected. But after you spawned, you at least know how to toggle to 3rd person view and run away.

- sigh - i understand those who wish to do it the hard way but can someone explain why an optional one is so disagreeable?

Some people are bad players but want to be the best. So when a game comes out they play 24h a day to know more about it than anyone else. When the others can learn the same thing by playing the tutorial, their advantage disappears. That makes them sad, so they go online to protest against tutorials for others.

Must be something like that. Most other options I thought about made even less sense...

• Like 1

Some people are bad players but want to be the best. So when a game comes out they play 24h a day to know more about it than anyone else. When the others can learn the same thing by playing the tutorial, their advantage disappears. That makes them sad, so they go online to protest against tutorials for others.

Must be something like that. Most other options I thought about made even less sense...

Well, I know that's not my situation, I think you may be generalizing or assuming a bit too much. I don't believe that there is such a thing as being 'good' at DayZ. You play how you want to play. 'Being good' implies that the game is all about competition. Now, a tutorial on the very basics, as I've seen posts about, I would be okay with, just to make sure a person at least knows how to pick up an object and maybe add a little bit of story. The less it seems like a tutorial, the better.

But everyone should be dropped in at first, with not much of a clue of what's happening or what to do. That's one of the best parts of DayZ.

Well, I know that's not my situation, I think you may be generalizing or assuming a bit too much. I don't believe that there is such a thing as being 'good' at DayZ. You play how you want to play. 'Being good' implies that the game is all about competition. Now, a tutorial on the very basics, as I've seen posts about, I would be okay with, just to make sure a person at least knows how to pick up an object and maybe add a little bit of story. The less it seems like a tutorial, the better.

But everyone should be dropped in at first, with not much of a clue of what's happening or what to do. That's one of the best parts of DayZ.

You couldn't answer like this before when i mentioned it? Starting to think you hate me

You couldn't answer like this before when i mentioned it? Starting to think you hate me

I'm a very hateful person.

I don't have a suggestion but if I was a new player taking up the game now and kept getting infected by un-boiled water I wouldn't really know that fire->empty tin can->water bottle->matches makes clean water.

Not even letting the players know that such features exist doesn't seem the right balance. Neither would waypoints, pop ups or a hint jounrnal.

like I said, it was the only explanation that made sense, but I admit a huge portion of humor to have flown into that statement.

But I agree with you. I think a tutorial should cover the basics, so that players can move and explore the world. They need to know everything that allows them to explore the world, but they shouldn't know about the world.

If you'd crash on the shores of chernarus. you'd know how to walk, open a door or a can of beans. you should know that too when you crash in-game.

Rocket always said that he didn't like the idea of tutorials so I don't think one will ever be implemented. Some kind of benchmarking feature would be nice so you can get your graphics settings sorted before you jump in to the game though.