FrostDMG

Anyone else agree?

Alright guys, first of all I don't want to start any flamewar or controversy, but I just wanna get my opinion out there and hear what everyone else thinks about this...

Basically, what I'm referring to is the lack of updates we're getting from DayZ devs.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, I mean I love hiking and climbing and shit, but c'mon guys... You release video of the dev talking - that's cool - but what would be cooler would be to see some screenshots or even better, gameplay videos...

Why? Because that keeps the interest up. If we're not getting any new screenies and are just given a lack luster interview (sorry to be blunt) the interest for the game will rapidly decline. I know there are a LOT of dedicated DayZ fans such as myself that will follow the game regardless, but even we would love to see how the game progresses.

I made a similar post back in the "mod" days, where I basically the dev-community interaction was almost non-existent. I don't think the DayZ devs realize how much of a difference releasing one or two screenshots a week will make and how much interest that will generate! Sure, release the screens with a big "THIS IS STILL WORK IN PROGRESS" watermark, go ahead, but we just wanna see how the game looks.

Anyone agree? I was reading through the comments the youtube video and there were a lot of angry viewers...

• Like 1

I think everyone would love some more screenshots, videos, etc. Personally, though, I don't really care.

I think everyone would love some more screenshots, videos, etc. Personally, though, I don't really care.

Yeah, but do you not agree that we're not really getting enough info from the devs?

Personally I'm not fussed with the frequency or content therein regarding the dev updates. My view is probably based on the fact that I let the released version do all the 'talking' rather than the 'hype'/build-up.

I'm sure others with disagree =D

• Like 2

this is how to get weekly updates

its simple, if you want to know what they are doing now, look at the last thing they told us

then you look at this every week

the reason there is no new updates is because there is nothing new to tell, the things they where working on before is what there are working on now, because there not done yet

when they are finished with the stuff they are doing now the game will be released

and besides do you really want to know EVERYTHING about the new map and game ??

you really want no suprizes?

Edited by King Tubbs
  • Like 4

Yeah, but do you not agree that we're not really getting enough info from the devs?

Hmm. Perhaps, but because I don't really care about how often information about the Standalone is released, I am not too sure how to answer that question.

Edited by Inception.

And the culture of entitlement rears it's demanding head again.

I'm thankful for what they have shown...now lets let them develop in peace what i hope to be the eventual magnus opus of 'shooters'.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 2

this is how to get weekly updates

its simple, if you want to know what they are doing now, look at the last thing they told us

then you look at this every week

the reason there is no new updates is because there is nothing new to tell, the things they where working on before is what there are working on now, because there not done yet

when they are finished with the stuff they are doing now the game will be released

Yeah true, but getting screenshots to see how the game is progressing would also be nice, you know.

Also, I remember the ETA being Xmas 2012, then Spring 2013 and now? I know it's better not to set a release date and rush the game making it crappy, but on the other hand if the devs gave us a ballpark date of when they expect a beta release (ala Minecraft) to come out

And the culture of entitlement rears is demanding head again.

Wow, really?

I never said we "deserve" updates. I want the game to be successful because I had so much fun on the mod and in order for that to happen a game has to sell. A game only sells if people ACTUALLY KNOW ABOUT IT. Look how the DayZ playerbase exploded when people actually heard about the game on popular youtube channels. This wouldn't have happend if people were't aware of the game.

This is why keeping players' interest in the game should concern the devs.

Yeah true, but getting screenshots to see how the game is progressing would also be nice, you know.

Also, I remember the ETA being Xmas 2012, then Spring 2013 and now? I know it's better not to set a release date and rush the game making it crappy, but on the other hand if the devs gave us a ballpark date of when they expect a beta release (ala Minecraft) to come out

there was never a spring release date

rocket was asked Q"when will it be out?" A " dont know we have no idea" Q "will it be out by april" A "i should think so"

that within 2 hours becam a comfermed release date in the world of the net noobs

and no i dont want screenshots we have had a few of the zombies but i want the first time i see most of then is when they are comming towords me

Edited by King Tubbs

Wow, really?

I never said we "deserve" updates. I want the game to be successful because I had so much fun on the mod and in order for that to happen a game has to sell. A game only sells if people ACTUALLY KNOW ABOUT IT. Look how the DayZ playerbase exploded when people actually heard about the game on popular youtube channels. This wouldn't have happend if people were't aware of the game.

I don't dissagree the last dev blogs were meh...for gameplay content...it's not as if i need a constant reminder that DayZ is being developed or that they don't work on it when they don't blog. I take the not blogging as a good sign, the amount of changes they must need to make and the weight of expectation upon the team. I don't mind a semi infequent blog.

Most things i have seen have been pretty meh TBH. Zombie pathing improved video? What running in circles on a straight road? The best bit I have seen was the new fluid movement and aiming animations, it looks really good. When it's all come together it will be great.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

there was never a spring release date

rocket was asked Q"when will it be out?" A " dont know we have no idea" Q "will it be out by april" A "i should think so"

that within 2 hours becam a comfermed release date in the world of the net noobs

and no i dont want screenshots we have had a few of the zombies but i want the first time i see most os then is when they are comming towords me

"World of the net noobs". No. First of all, nobody said it was confirmed, people said ETA. Estimated Time of Arrival.

You make your conclusions very quickly and they're wrong, also it doesn't help that your posts are riddled with spelling mistakes

Wow, really?

the game is going to be released in ALPHA there is no need to keep peoples intrest the game is well over a year from being finished (the point that most games would be released

• Like 3

"World of the net noobs". No. First of all, nobody said it was confirmed, people said ETA. Estimated Time of Arrival.

You make your conclusions very quickly and they're wrong, also it doesn't help that your posts are riddled with spelling mistakes

1 my spellcheck is down on hear for some reason sorry about that

2 ever herd of rinocrunch??

3 that's right people said eta NOT rocket or the dev team, it was said once, in direct awnser to a question

4 i am not wrong i saw the vid of the qestion being asked and awnserd withing 2 hours of it being put up, and i watched on here as it went from, should be to, proberbly, to ETA, to defernatly will. i aslo saw the rage comming from some people when it was not out in april

"nobody said it was confirmed" really??

Edited by King Tubbs

the game is going to be released in ALPHA there is no need to keep peoples intrest the game is well over a year from being finished (the point that most games would be released

And how do you know that it's over a year from release? That wouldn't make any sense since by then there will surely be another company that will come out with a similar game (ala WarZ) but without the nonsense

And how do you know that it's over a year from release? That wouldn't make any sense since by then there will surely be another company that will come out with a similar game (ala WarZ) but without the nonsense

he said finished...which implies that most of all "we're looking into that" things also will be implemented by then

Edited by joe_mcentire

snip*

Because writing a small post, or hell, even 140 character twitter update would take hours out of their working schedule?

i think one main issue still is the bullet-proof server-architecture. this was an fairly ambitious aim and that is maybe what now comes back as some sort of boomerang at the moment.

but that's just speculating

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

he said finished...which implies that most of all "we're looking into that" things also will be implemented by then

To be honest I can't decipher what he was trying to tell us

EDIT:

i think one main issue still is the bullet-proof server-architecture. this was an fairly ambitious aim and that is maybe what now comes back as some sort of boomerang at the moment.

Good point. I wonder how they're gonna pull that off

Edited by FrostDMG

Because writing a small post, or hell, even 140 character twitter update would take hours out of their working schedule?

A minute ago you where asking for a video (or not)... Well anyway I don't think making a post like the one under really satisfies the hunger of demanding gamers waiting for their favourite game. So why make it anyway? Do people honestly think they are just lounging about doing nothing if we don't learn about what they are doing?

MINI Blog April 10th

Matt Lightfoot says:

- At the moment I am following up from meetings at PAX/GDC, keeping Dean updated with development progress, keeping external artists tasked, Ivan Buchta (The Lord Mayor of Chernarus) is helping me a large amount on the design side while Dean is away.

- Our Programmers are still working on the client/server architecture, radios/VOIP and solving several bugs.

- In house art cell are working on path lods in buildings to improve zombies movement in buildings and texture passes on assests.

- External art cell, working on a couple of weapons, some more clothing items and some items.

- Our animation cell, are working through a backlog of animations we want to do.

- SenChi with the help of Ivan are going through existing towns now and making improvements through changing layouts slightly and such.

I'm sorry for the lack of communication, I've just been exceptionally busy.

Edited by Zarniwoop

eh im really not all that concerned with it, even if its not released for another year what have I lost by waiting? yea I might lose interest by then but with how unique each new life can be its not apt to happen that fast. admittedly waiting forever for a game to be released can cause people to grow bored of it prior to, that's what happened with me and minecraft I got bored long before the game was ever released, but that was because the game never offered anything new for me. with dayz its not like that, plus the added benefit of knowing I didn't have to pay for it (technically) makes it even less of a worry.

Edited by Whatsausername
  • Like 2

Yeah, obviously screenshots and video would be IDEAL, but any sort of signs of the game progressing would be welcomed with open arms.

Yeah, obviously screenshots and video would be IDEAL, but any sort of signs of the game progressing would be welcomed with open arms.

yes but knowledge of the next update seems to suffice.

i'm totaly ok with mini-blogs which give an insight when there is probably not much to show or tell.