rocket

Hotfix Build 1.7.1.4 Rolling Update (was 1.7.1.3)

Some things i noticed today..

1) People with weapons etc hunting down new spawners on the beach. Really sucks being defenseless but makes sense so its like hmmm...

2) Noise and Sight are WAYY too touchy. I dont want the zombies to be bumbling idiots like before but now they have superman senses(ok maybe thats a bit too exaggerated) but still' date=' personally i feel it needs some new tweaking.

3) Gender select menu pops up EVERY TIME i spawn for some reason. Maybe bug, maybe not.

4) Zombies dying inside buildings. Perhaps it was because there was 12 zombies chasing me but they all entered the house i was in(black/drk brown house) and then 4 of them died. I assume its because of the hallway they were in, all bunched up. Just wanted to report that.

Now some ideas that may be great or shit...everyone else can decide.

1) Make the flashlight a melee weapon. I know its somewhat absurd but have you ever held a maglight(yes i know the flashlight in this game isnt one but im sure it could be). I get the need for stealth in a Z apoc but leaving noobs defenseless is just...well...a little too mean? People are out for blood in this MOD and the new ones should at least have a minuscule fighting chance.

2) Obviously just tweak the values. IMO zombies are attracted to SCENT and SOUND. Perhaps a new mechanic? I dont know...i jsut think thios may be tweaked a bit too high.

#) and most important...the hostile survivors. I get people are going to troll for fun and kill for no reason but something NEEDS to be done. The server max out at 50 people. There's no reason 45 should be hostile and not be hold somewhat accountable. I understand that the heartbeat feature was supposed to...i dunno..help? I just think its somewhat counter productive to have to place my crosshairs on someone to see if they are friendly or not. The bandit skin auto change was bad, but good in a way. At least there was no question.

Personally i dont want to play this game like its the next FPS, thats what i go to ArmA 2 for(domination and insurgency). It's really fun to meet people and survive. In an apocalypse i have to assume peopel would work together a little more than this.

Hopefully if the zombies are going to stay the way they are it will encourage people to work together but perhaps there needs to be better incentive to band together. Perhaps an adjusted spawn rate on items if in a group. Perhaps a better lobby to assign actual groups. That way if a "group" is near loot thers a 5% better chance or something?

I dont know. Hopefully my rambling makes sense or at least inspires something, although im sure it will jsut get lost in the suckers going "Game is bad pl0x, CoD noob"

Thank you, and goodnight!

[/quote']

i agree with everything you say the sense/ noise and visual setting is way high. crouched running producing 3 noise bars comeon id be better off sprinting full tilt.

rocket your doing a really good job but your making it kinda unfair/ not fun to play with the level of hardness your setting

Hell' date=' it's what Eve Online has been doing for half a decade.[/quote']

EVE Online is not in an ALPHA but in full release

I used SixUpdater to update DayZ, and now I'm getting bad version unable to join on any 1.7.1.4 server. I checked my files to make sure they were upadated and everything checks out. Going to try manually extracting the files into my folder, but is anyone else having this problem?

Hey Rocket' date='

I am thinking it might be a good time to split your code into channels, one called stable and one called dev, this lets you put out a stable release for people that want to just play, and the rest that want to report bugs and test can run on dev. The whole "it's alpha" thing doesn't work when you have such a large userbase that just wants to play. From the sounds of it you are struggling with code management too, having to release big fixes with new features because you can't separate the new code. Proper version control systems such as git make this stuff pretty easy to manage.

I know this might seem like an early step to take at this point, but making the leap to stable/dev channels will make everyones lives easier.

[/quote']

I like this idea, players that just want to play can do so while people who want to help can test. Complaints should minimize and testing should be faster and more concise.

Sry, but: no. This is an alpha. This might be okay during a beta, but seriously it's an alpha version. We are supposed to test it!

Sry, but actually Alpha means its supposed to be tested internally. Beta means a limited group of users test it. If anything, Day Z is a full release already (technically).

Hey Rocket' date='

I am thinking it might be a good time to split your code into channels, one called stable and one called dev, this lets you put out a stable release for people that want to just play, and the rest that want to report bugs and test can run on dev. The whole "it's alpha" thing doesn't work when you have such a large userbase that just wants to play. From the sounds of it you are struggling with code management too, having to release big fixes with new features because you can't separate the new code. Proper version control systems such as git make this stuff pretty easy to manage.

I know this might seem like an early step to take at this point, but making the leap to stable/dev channels will make everyones lives easier.

[/quote']

I like this idea, players that just want to play can do so while people who want to help can test. Complaints should minimize and testing should be faster and more concise.

Sry, but: no. This is an alpha. This might be okay during a beta, but seriously it's an alpha version. We are supposed to test it!

Because finding bugs with a server full of 50 people is somehow harder than foisting obviously untested changes onto 50,000? If rocket actually wanted to get the bugs fixed he could just get 10 servers running off the master server list with easily accessible weapon/vehicle/loot storage and spawns. Nothing transfers over so you can bugtest away. Hell, it's what Eve Online has been doing for half a decade.

just posted about this in the suggestion forum

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16188&pid

1) Couldn't pick up a hatchet. Tried many spawn points in many different servers. I also redownloaded the equip.rar file to make sure. And I run the beta with latest 93825 build. I get the error message almost all the time saying "couldn't find hatchet_swing.config" or something like that? Shouldn't be getting this error message all the time should I?

2) When picking up or dropping a primary weapon into a loot spawn on the ground, all the clips I have in my side-arm slots are also automatically dropped for some reason.

I have answered this question once before but here it goes.

To pick up the hatchet you must drop your primary by putting it on the ground or in your pack.( I haven't tested it )

Now you have it in your hands and you can attack/gather wood with it.

To gather wood with it have it in your hands and walk into the woods up to a tree. While looking at a tree open your gear menu and right click. There will be 2 options "Drop Hatchet" and "Harvest Wood". Click "Harvest Wood" to put a woodpile in your inventory.

To drop the hatchet, open your gear menu and right click on the hatchet. Click "Drop Hatchet" and you will drop your hatchet on your ground and you are free to pick up your primary again.

I dont know how many slots it will take up in your pack or if you can even put it in your pack, I have not tested that. Hope this helps

"You cannot place a tent here. The area must be flat, and free of other objects"

All the time. Anywhere, forest or valley plane without any object close to hundreds of meters.

Same problem since version 1.7

thanks

BUG REPORT: If I stand near a hatchet and bring up the gear menu' date=' the hatchet does not show up.

BUG REPORT: If I stand near a hatchet and choose "get hatchet" I get a message that says I don't have enough inventory space followed by my binoculars being auto-selected. Reproed it several times

BUG REPORT: Tried to pick up hatchet with 6 free inventory slots and still get the message indicating I don't have enough room in my inventory to pick it up.

[/quote']

Me too. Can't seem to pick up a hatchet at all now even with should be enough open inventory space. Afraid to drop my sidearm and ammo to try picking up hatchet first since I'd be really toast with no firearm OR melee.

Same problem with the hatchet here. It's worth saying that I had both weapon slots occupied, although a lot of free space in the inventory and no watch or binoculars or any of that kind of items

Hey Rocket' date='

[/quote']

Sry, but actually Alpha means its supposed to be tested internally. Beta means a limited group of users test it. If anything, Day Z is a full release already (technically).

Sorry, but actually Alpha is a testing stage, and just because Rocket decided to release the Alpha openly to the public, doesn't mean that it is even in the slightest way a full release. This is a testing stage, and I know Alpha's are supposed to be tested by a group of local people the devs choose, but that does not make this a release because we are allowed to stress test the Alpha.

There is a bug when you log out or the server crashes you come back in and your hatchet or crowbar has no ammo and you can't swing it causing me to instantly die.

Wow. Neverending zombie train. Killed about 20 by myself, then a newbie trained another 30-40 on us, tried to steal my AK out of my backpack, and paid the price. it still sounded like the building was surrounded so maybe I'll wait out the next hot fix...

Yeah the zombies aggro from miles away. I don't mind it to be honest, although I just encountered a bug where I killed a guy who was at the Stary Sobor military camp, I watched him through binos run back to a barn about 4 times to kill zombies who he drew aggro from from miles around, when I killed him and got to his corpse about 10 seconds later it had fallen through the floor. Flies buzzing all around but no corpse.

Playing 1.7.1.4 now and FPS seems to have become more unreliable than it was during the weekend patch.

Some notes about things me and my group have found really annoying though:

1) Most hatchets can't be picked up. They instead turn into invisible items that only re-appear when you drop your main weapon on the ground. In that case all the invisible items show up as little green ammunition pouches. When looting they carry the green shotgun shell graphic and the name "Hatchet". Looting them does nothing.

2) When you are finally able to pick up the hatchet (One of us found a hatchet floating in mid-air, that turned out to be lootable), it replaces your main weapon? I suppose it's understandable since it's very powerful and durable, but perhaps balancing it so that you can use it to fend off one or two infected rather than being a main weapon might be an option? I don't know how rocket intends for it to work.

3) Zombies attract from miles away now regardless of what you're doing. I crawled across a main street in Berezino today and got spotted by two infected that were 50-80 meters away from me. It's happened repeatedly through house-walls and the like as well. Basically getting close to a town, even if you're prone, will very much include you being detected within minutes. If you're crouching or walking, it's a different story altogether, as zombies from as much as a kilometer away will flip their lid and start chasing you, even if there are several buildings between you and them.

One word to describe the situation: (nearly) unplayable!

agree i loved 1.7 brill plyaed 70+ hours in 4 days (no im not a guy that lives of the goverment/tax payer. im on holiday from work for 2 weeks)

now i havent played anymore than 10mins as i just get pissed at the fact a zombie can hear me from like 60 meters away and see me behind a house or a factory. no weapon is ok dont mind that but when you are getting agro from zombies then theres no point in playing.

Some things i noticed today..

1) People with weapons etc hunting down new spawners on the beach. Really sucks being defenseless but makes sense so its like hmmm...

2) Noise and Sight are WAYY too touchy. I dont want the zombies to be bumbling idiots like before but now they have superman senses(ok maybe thats a bit too exaggerated) but still' date=' personally i feel it needs some new tweaking.

3) Gender select menu pops up EVERY TIME i spawn for some reason. Maybe bug, maybe not.

4) Zombies dying inside buildings. Perhaps it was because there was 12 zombies chasing me but they all entered the house i was in(black/drk brown house) and then 4 of them died. I assume its because of the hallway they were in, all bunched up. Just wanted to report that.

Now some ideas that may be great or shit...everyone else can decide.

1) Make the flashlight a melee weapon. I know its somewhat absurd but have you ever held a maglight(yes i know the flashlight in this game isnt one but im sure it could be). I get the need for stealth in a Z apoc but leaving noobs defenseless is just...well...a little too mean? People are out for blood in this MOD and the new ones should at least have a minuscule fighting chance.

2) Obviously just tweak the values. IMO zombies are attracted to SCENT and SOUND. Perhaps a new mechanic? I dont know...i jsut think thios may be tweaked a bit too high.

#) and most important...the hostile survivors. I get people are going to troll for fun and kill for no reason but something NEEDS to be done. The server max out at 50 people. There's no reason 45 should be hostile and not be hold somewhat accountable. I understand that the heartbeat feature was supposed to...i dunno..help? I just think its somewhat counter productive to have to place my crosshairs on someone to see if they are friendly or not. The bandit skin auto change was bad, but good in a way. At least there was no question.

Personally i dont want to play this game like its the next FPS, thats what i go to ArmA 2 for(domination and insurgency). It's really fun to meet people and survive. In an apocalypse i have to assume peopel would work together a little more than this.

Hopefully if the zombies are going to stay the way they are it will encourage people to work together but perhaps there needs to be better incentive to band together. Perhaps an adjusted spawn rate on items if in a group. Perhaps a better lobby to assign actual groups. That way if a "group" is near loot thers a 5% better chance or something?

I dont know. Hopefully my rambling makes sense or at least inspires something, although im sure it will jsut get lost in the suckers going "Game is bad pl0x, CoD noob"

Thank you, and goodnight!

[/quote']

No. Nothing needs to be done to hostile survivors. It is fine right now, people getting shot and robbed like they would be in real life. There is no room for the weak.

I imagine Rocket is in development hell right now with everything breaking every time he adds/fixes something else.

Lighten up guys, I have a feeling this is just as frustrating for him as it is for us.

If you read this, rocket...Dude you are a fucking trooper. Keep it up, as those of us who are NOT on here constantly complaining about an alpha are behind your experimentation 100% and understand that not everything will be perfect right when it gets released.

I still can't believe this mod is a thing. Bravo.

80% of the people joining our server do NOT use the latest beta patch. Get your versions right before reporting bugs, guys!

Hey Rocket' date='

[/quote']

Sorry, but actually Alpha is a testing stage, and just because Rocket decided to release the Alpha openly to the public, doesn't mean that it is even in the slightest way a full release. This is a testing stage, and I know Alpha's are supposed to be tested by a group of local people the devs choose, but that does not make this a release because we are allowed to stress test the Alpha.

Sorry, but this only makes us both half right.

Im going to make a game and im going to call the alpha testing a full release, then when the game releases im going to call it the Alpha stage version.

I can do so because in reality I can do whatever the hell I want, but a definition of things exist, thats why I said technically.

Anyways, the truth is...

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

Sorry' date=' but actually Alpha is a testing stage, and just because Rocket decided to release the Alpha openly to the public, doesn't mean that it is even in the slightest way a full release. This is a testing stage, and I know Alpha's are supposed to be tested by a group of local people the devs choose, but that does not make this a release because we are allowed to stress test the Alpha.

[/quote']

if nothing else it makes it an unconventional alpha. I don't wanna get into the semantics of all this, but words have definitions

And also, the zeds hits you like 4 times before you can hit them with the hatchet.

So, lots of bandage you will need. haha

The latest hotfix/update broke the Zombie detection method. Their "investigative" script must have screwed with the way how Zombie's detect players, because it is overly sensitive at the moment to the point that it is unreal.

In the 1.7.1.2 with the bad loot tables, Zombies would only see me when I'm within a reasonable viewing distance of them. At this point, they are pretty good at pinpointing me at various distances, some which are abit too unreasonable.

The performance updates are working fine. Picking up hatchets is impossible for me. Keeps saying I don't have enough room.

Honestly I think the investigate script is only handy when they are not as lightning fast as they are now AND without super senses.