Sign in to follow this  
Bororm

SA shoot guns out of hands

So it's probably not feasible to implement but I would love to be able to shoot people's guns out of their hands or shoot them in the hand to make them drop their gun. I think it'd add to the whole none-KOS deal. I say this as a bandit who KOS's, I'd just like more options.

It'd be pretty hard to do, and probably would actually just happen more randomly than not. I know currently you can hit people's weapons, because I've shot at guys point blank just to be surprised that they won't die, and upon reviewing the recording I was just hitting their gun. I think the main issue would be to make it balanced so you aren't just having gun fights and constantly losing your gun because a guy is spraying at you and randomly hitting your hand/gun, which would just be annoying. Not entirely sure how to get around that without making it too gamey though. I know in red orchestra you can get your gun shot out.

additional thought:

You should be able to loot unconscious player's weapons/main inventory. This would also reduce KOS.

Edited by Bororm

How will shooting a gun out of someones hands prevent KoS?

And I have to say I disagree with this, like you said, it would just feel too 'gamey'.

How will shooting a gun out of someones hands prevent KoS?

And I have to say I disagree with this, like you said, it would just feel too 'gamey'.

It would reduce KoS'ing a lot, many people only kill for the fear of being killed.

• Like 2

i must say i would like a way to disarm people. i want more traps than anything, beartraps should come back!

This sounds like it could get annoying, also I'm not an expert but I don't think it's that easy to shoot a gun out of someone's hand. Maybe if it's a pistol it would work if held with one hand but if someone has a rifle pressed up into their shoulder with a firm grip it isn't going anywhere easily.

I think if your gun gets shot it should break, not fall to pieces from 1 bullet but I mean it can't be good for the gun especially if it's something powerful like a 7.62.

It's just another non lethal option is how it might reduce KOS, albeit a very difficult one. I don't think the actual disarming people is too "gamey," I think the implementation of it would be difficult without making it "gamey" is what I meant by that bit.

I dunno how often people actually get hit in the hands/gun as is, so without that statistic it is hard to say how often it would happen randomly and whether that is even an issue.

I threw an extra bit in my OP but I think you should also be able to loot/disarm an unconscious player. That one would definitely help reduce straight up killing imo.

Edited by Bororm

I'm not sure if we'll be shooting guns out of peoples hands but the way they've re-written the engine for DayZ SA means that each item will now have it's own "history" or attributes. An example rocket used is that if you shoot someone in the head when they're wearing NVG's then you'll probably damage the NVG's. I'd imagine the same goes for weapons and other equipment too.

• Like 2

It's just another non lethal option is how it might reduce KOS, albeit a very difficult one. I don't think the actual disarming people is too "gamey," I think the implementation of it would be difficult without making it "gamey" is what I meant by that bit.

I dunno how often people actually get hit in the hands/gun as is, so without that statistic it is hard to say how often it would happen randomly and whether that is even an issue.

I threw an extra bit in my OP but I think you should also be able to loot/disarm an unconscious player. That one would definitely help reduce straight up killing imo.

Agree you should be able to disarm unconcious player, combine that with non lethal ways of knocking people out and theres going to be lots of fun had robbing people.

Shooting guns out of peoples hands isnt a bad idea either so long as it doesnt feel like a forced mechanic and theres a high chance of damaging the gun,

Would be great to see more accurate body damage, shoot someone in the arm/hand for example forces them to use the gun with only one hand making it extremely inaccurate, maybe firing a rifle one handed can only be done from the hip and suffers from high amounts of shaking from the pain.

shooting people's guns out of their hands or shooting them in the hand to make them drop their gun... Sounds pretty nice but it should not be something being able to happen so likely...

However I would like to see shooting people's weps would make their accurate worse for 1-2 seconds... So they should again try to aim what they have been aiming before getting shot in hand/on the wep they hold.

there is not enough velocity in a bullet to shoot a gun out of someones hands, period.

there is not enough velocity in a bullet to shoot a gun out of someones hands, period.

I disagree with this although I have no knowledge or evidence to support my argument.

Well, real life disagrees

• Like 6

Yay! I knew peeps would have some facts to back up my suspicions. I'd say that gun left his hand in a hurry. He's lucky he can still count to ten without having to take his socks off.

Edited by Fraggle

As well as shooting guns out of hands, Id like some non-lethal weaponry.. so I wouldnt really need to worry about the weapon they were carrying unless I got careless.

Tasers: Some with projectile barbs and others without. Causes target to be stunned for a bit. Repeated stuns can cause health issues such as reduced running speed and whatnot. Ultimately, death. You could have death be more likely if you have health related issues due to a poor diet of sugary foods.

Tranquiliser guns: Shoot an animal or person and eat the meat raw could cause some issues). Knocks out the target for a while.

Pepper spray: Target drops his weapon and vision is impaired for a while.

Tear Gas: Can be thrown or set off by traps. Target's vision impaired.

There is a tonne of stuff that can be done with minimal work compared to implimenting mechanics such as survivor communities and stuff which can help reduce PVP. Just throwing out ideas!

A gun should definitely break from being shot. How could a weapon work after being hit with a bullet? I know that guns break from being shot/blasted in the STALKER games. I like that level of detail.

Explanation by the guy here:

"A round struck the tube by my hand of the 203 grenade launcher which knocked it out of my hands. When I picked the rifle back up it was still functional but the grenade launcher tube had a nice sized 7.62 cal bullet hole in it and was rendered useless. "

Edited by Sutinen
  • Like 2

As well as shooting guns out of hands, Id like some non-lethal weaponry.. so I wouldnt really need to worry about the weapon they were carrying unless I got careless.

Tasers: Some with projectile barbs and others without. Causes target to be stunned for a bit. Repeated stuns can cause health issues such as reduced running speed and whatnot. Ultimately, death. You could have death be more likely if you have health related issues due to a poor diet of sugary foods.

Tranquiliser guns: Shoot an animal or person and eat the meat raw could cause some issues). Knocks out the target for a while.

Pepper spray: Target drops his weapon and vision is impaired for a while.

Tear Gas: Can be thrown or set off by traps. Target's vision impaired.

There is a tonne of stuff that can be done with minimal work compared to implimenting mechanics such as survivor communities and stuff which can help reduce PVP. Just throwing out ideas!

Tasers: Meh. Could be a potentially cool weapon but they wouldn't be useful after they are shot off and could only be used on one person.

Tranquilizer Gun: Sounds like an interesting concept, but these aren't very common at all (even in the civilian world). The only agencies that use these are wildlife administrations and possibly law enforcement in case they have to deal with the same situation. Tranquilizers, while they can be used against humans, generally aren't because of different potency of chemicals in the gun. For example; shooting someone with a tranquilizer meant for a giant lion or an angry bull is going to have a chance of actually killing the person you shot at. Besides that, it is not a practical gun at all (Even less so than the crossbow); tainted meat, does not work against zombies, slow and low ammunition, not common. It's like the crossbow, if you really found it you wouldn't take it unless you had absolutely nothing else available.

Pepper Spray; Forcing someone to drop their weapon seems like this is more of a trolling weapon than ever. Besides that, the person you're after must be a really bad shot if you get within attack range. Pepper spray also runs out really quickly, and the worst part is that once the effects wear off, you still have a guy chasing after you.

Tear Gas: I'd have to go against this, simply because it's such a rare thing to be used outside of quelling riots and small countries like Chernarus would have little-to-none.

you should be able to shoot guns out of hands already.. this feat was in the 1st red orchestra game and it was excellent.. it just should be in the game because it can actually happen.. whats with all the debate ?!?!

Why not add a scroll option "Disarm", to be used on unconscious players. Without dropping your gun, the other player's weapon is automatically deposited next to his body. He'd have to pick it up again before shooting. Much quicker than fumbling with your inventory to get his gun off of him.

Shooting the weapon out of someones hand = too gamey / hollywoodish. But the probabilty of dropping your gun when hit in the arm would be ok. Not that it's impossible because i know that video, too. But not with an aimed shot in the heat of battle...

Edited by Enforcer

If someone were to lose their gun because of a bullet it would be because they were scared, not because the bullet simply knocked the gun out.. Also it would matter alot wich kind of gun you have.

Maybe a .50 cal would knock a makarov out of your hand. if it didnt go trough it.

Whether a round will punch a hole in a particular object/surface/material depends on the size and speed of the projectile, as well as what it's made of (or coated in). It's just common sense.

In general, a smaller, firmer, higher-velocity round is more likely to puncture compared to a larger, softer, slower-moving round.

If a bullet, travelling ~1000 feet per second, hits a gun in your hand and doesn't puncture it, that's a LOT of kinetic energy looking for somewhere to go.

It's not necessarily going to throw the gun out of your hand, but it's going to give you a fair "ding" whether or not you're shitting bricks.

But forget about that.

It wouldn't be totally unrealistic to include it, it's just that there's a good chance it would end up feeling cartoonish.