Sign in to follow this  
TacticalTuna

Players should develop Mental illness

Okay so ive seen some kind of silly things on on the forms of what people think should happen to bandits, like cry after they kill or something silly. My idea is that if you have killed mass amounts of people that haven't fired upon you You should start to develop Schizophrenia. Some examples are, have the sound of a shot wiz past your head but there was no actual shot, or some on talking is side chat else where played near the bandit, this would freak the player out. or maybe even see a play for a brief period and then disappear. This is almost like a form of PTSD for them, to kill someone in a war is hard enough on a person imagine what would happen to a person after killing someone simply because they saw them.

This should also happen to players who spend long times alone, They should here other players in the direct chat, but no one is around. Spending long periods alone is know do make people develop Schizophrenia. (It happened to me in real life i spent 1 year of my life so depressed i talked to no one saw no one and then i started to hear things and see things that wort really there, I am now medicated and do not see or hear thing as often)This should also happen to people who use drugs often in the game

I really this Mental illnesses should be implemented into the game, there is no human being that could stand a zombie apocalypse and not develop some sort of a mental illness

I would like to here what you guys have to think so please do post your thoughts on the matter

• Like 1

Well, a lot of players do develop Tourette syndrome when you shoot at them..

• Like 11

Hello there

I think we have to very careful with the mental illness tag as in reality mental health has many different meanings and levels and the awareness surrounding it is still rather poor.

However as a side effect to being a homcidal killer effects such as this could be interesting to reflect ones increasing "paranoia" due to mistrust.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

We already have that in the game. It's called bandit syndrome... I think being a bandit is their mental illness since they have no other way of coping with the apocalypse.

Edited by Beck
  • Like 5

I like this idea. Then again, I'll support anything that supports less KoS and more player interaction

I like this idea. Then again, I'll support anything that supports less KoS and more player interaction

Maybe you should try playing other games like habbo hotel.

Maybe you should try playing other games like habbo hotel.

Thin ice...

• Like 1

?

He means "you're walking on thin ice". Which means you are pretty close from getting in trouble.

Anyway, I think mental illness is taking it a little too far. While it sounds like an interesting idea now, you'll probably hate it if mental illnesses actually become a part of the game.

No. "Mental illnesses" and the like are destructive to what dayz is meant to be. The PLAYER is the one who aims poorly. The PLAYER is the one who loses sleep over things they have done. The PLAYER is the one who can either kill 1000+ people and say "whatever bruv" or kills 1 and feels guilty for mins/hours/days/weeks/years.

Punishing a player for playing the way he enjoys is a bad idea. What needs to be done is give players who work together benifits, while at the same time making it harder for people who play solo to survive.

As it stands people can be douchbags, not because they need your supplies, but because supplies are so easy to obtain that they might as well just fool around. Dayz is too easy. The bandits have nothing better to do. I really dont mind being killed by a bandit, as long as he genuinely needs my beans to survive. Unfortunately this is NEVER the case. The abundance of resources in dayz is hilariously broken.

• Like 1

Penalizing bandits with in-game afflictions, mental disorders, etc..., is a poor idea that only makes the butthurt feel vindicated while gimping a percentage of the player-base for playing the role of bandit.

nerfing one play-style to make another play-style feel better/safer has never been a good thing - in any game.

• Like 1

Here's the only thing to be done about bandits. Get a crew together, get highly organized, and hunt them down like the opportunistic dogs they are. Hopefully they'll get organized as well and then you'll have a truly amazing DayZ experience.

Most fun I've had in DayZ was organizing an intense elimination of a bandit group. The group consisted of seven to ten kids who all killed on sight and caused much grief, especially to new players on our server. We planted a very brave mole, noted all their base coordinates, and after a week of cat and mouse, destroyed or took everything they had gathered and systematically killed them all.

Edited by DrGonzo
  • Like 2

Penalizing bandits with in-game afflictions, mental disorders, etc..., is a poor idea that only makes the butthurt feel vindicated while gimping a percentage of the player-base for playing the role of bandit.

nerfing one play-style to make another play-style feel better/safer has never been a good thing - in any game.

this is not "nerfing" a play style as i said this should be implemented for lone wolfs too. My idea is to implement a Bit more realism to the game. Also seeing as people kill and feel no remorse in real life something needs to be implement in game. This isn't something game breaking it will just be confusing and scary to the player.
  • Like 1

You're unlikely to develop Schizophrenia if you are not originally predisposed to it (ie genetically). PTSD seems more realistic and a viable "option" for "mental illness". OP please do a search before posting a new topic in the suggestion forums.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/89759-hunamity-group-play-and-mental-illness/page__hl__%2Bmental+%2Billness

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/84982-suggestion-about-having-delusions/page__hl__+mental%20+illness#entry801150

• Like 1

"In this world, there is no sanity or insanity. Here lie only the thousand faces of madness."

Edited by Lady Kyrah

"In this world, there is no sanity or insanity. Here lie only the thousand faces of madness."

Deep

You're unlikely to develop Schizophrenia if you are not originally predisposed to it (ie genetically). PTSD seems more realistic and a viable "option" for "mental illness". OP please do a search before posting a new topic in the suggestion forums.

http://dayzmod.com/f...s<br /><br />http://dayzmod.com/f...ess#entry801150

My is very different from his

I don't think we should punish bandits (this is coming from a hero). However it would be great if your character started to develop...problems. Maybe after he killed someone he talks to himself for a few minutes debating if he had a choice or not or if he is evil.

I don't think we should punish bandits (this is coming from a hero). However it would be great if your character started to develop...problems. Maybe after he killed someone he talks to himself for a few minutes debating if he had a choice or not or if he is evil.

But that would break the "this is your story" mentality. If you don't feel guilty and your player does that would break your story.

This idea would seem very forced and would totally ruin my roleplay.

My character doesn't have visions or mental illness, he has terrible OCD. He won't open doors without having toilet paper in his inventory (it protects his hands from "contamination").

id like to hand out beanz/likes but i'm out for the day. If you deserve 'em you know who you are. revel in my virtual approval. l

• Like 1

People who request bandit avatars have audible and game-affecting conflicts of morality are basically stating that the avatars are being forced to do something they think is wrong.

Right and wrong are subjective:

• In ancient many civilizations (ancient Rome, for example), people had no issue whatsoever with the killing of slaves when they did wrong. Today it is wrong, 1000 years ago, killing a slave (who wasn't a citizen of Rome), wasn't.
  • Soldiers kill the enemy; my Grandfather stormed the beaches of Normandy and i can only guess what he witnessed in his experiences, but it didn't drive him mad - because he felt he had to do what he had to do to survive a war he had to fight.

Who are we to decide how other people play their avatars?

Who are we to decide how their avatars view the zombie apocalypse?

Who are we to force our morality on everyone through game systems?

"Thou hast murdered, Thou shalt babble to thine imaginary goat and randomly shooteth the sun for looking at you funny." - Jesus H. Christ

Imposing your personal opinion of how being a murderer may affect you on another person is borderline retarded. Who is to say that someone who murders for thrill has any kind of tangible mental issues. Just because you would be conflicted to do something you think is wrong doesn't make it a viable game mechanic to force on everyone.

There is no argument in this thread that can justify forcing fictional avatars to feel or behave in certain ways because some people can't comprehend that these fictional characters, placed in a situation of absolute survival and constant threat, can do things without feeling guilt.

End of story.

• Like 1

In ancient many civilizations (ancient Rome, for example), people had no issue whatsoever with the killing of slaves when they did wrong. Today it is wrong, 1000 years ago, killing a slave (who wasn't a citizen of Rome), wasn't.

Interesting point, Romans loved to watch unarmed people be ripped apart by wild animals and other cruel spectacles...

I think that when you become a bandit your peripheral dots either disappear or start doing funky things....not that they don't already:)