Sign in to follow this  
LancerG2

Uncommon common zombies.

The whole community complains Left 4 Dead is unrealistic but they did seem to implament a realistic feature with the addition of uncommon common infected. So have the idea in DayZ.

Some examples would be (You may list your own):

A zombie in a construction outfit: Wears a yellow vest and yellow hardhat. Basically out of all the uncommon zombies this out would be a target easy to kill. I would feel sorry because out of all the zombies this guy would get picked off first. The helmet though protects it from blunt force trauma to the head and can absorb a few makarov rounds. Only found at building / demolition sites or at power plants.

A zombie with a grenade vest: Zombie has it's thumb stuck on the pin of a hand grenade. On alerting the zombie it would jerk and the pin of the grenade would be pulled and the zombie would sprint towards you. Meaning you have a few seconds to kill it (Explosion regardless where you shoot it) or Run (Safer). Killing the zombie before it sees you gives you a garenteed amount of grenades from as low as 1 - 4. Unlike the construction site worker this zombie would have a very rare spawn rate. Also if you have seen the zombies you notice walk walking and jerking they seem pretty docile. Even stupider to notice a pin of a grenade is stuck around his thumb. Duds may appear with a zombie whos got his thumb stuck on a smoke grenade

A zombie paramedic: Just as rare a the grenade zombie although with a medical pack. May contain a blood bag if really lucky. Usually has a backpack full of first aid gear.

Chopper Pilot zombie (Suggested by applejaxc): Wears a helicopter pilot helmet (SP-4) and has resistance to 9mm bullets aimed towards the head.

Ghillie suit zombie: Hidden in the forest. Near dear stands. Contains a few rifle/shotgun/pistol round in pockets.

In conclusion a rather good suggestion if you want a set of variations on zombies.

Edited by LancerG2
  • Like 1

In conclusion rather good suggestion? I beg to differ, on the second two ideas.

First of all, just no. No exploding zombies. No.

Second: Who the hell carries a blood bag on their person, in a pocket? No one. And even if a doctor/EMT/whatever did slip a bag into his pocket, you think the bag is going to survive him falling and getting torn into by his assailant zombie? There's no reason blood bags should be found outside of hospitals/ambulances.

Speaking of which...

Blood bags should break/"Spoil" after too much inventory carry or being left to sit in your tent for 2 weeks. Blood is kept refrigerated for a reason.

Anyway...

Pilot zombie, with 9mm-proof helmet?

Bomb-tech zombie, extremely bullet proof in his bomb squad suit?

SWAT zombie, also very bullet resistant? Possibility to scavenge *pieces* of SWAT gear, so that after several of these rare bastards spawn, you can get your own SWAT suit? Maybe stencil "DayZ" across the shoulders? Or "WTF?" or "OMG!" et cetera.

Scientist zombie, with lootable scalpel/glasses/head scrunge?

NASCAR-equivalent zombie?

Motorcyclist zombie, with full padded uniform? That'd be pretty awesome, albeit hot.

Winter survivalist zombie, in the cold regions? Fur jacket and moose pants!

Redneck zombie in whitetrash clothes around the swamps?

And best of all...

Homeless/crazy person/advertiser, that has that double-advertisement board thing on? It'd be really slow and clumsy, but pistols at range might not get through the wood/plastic.

090428-235104-811001.jpg

• Like 1

Lets just keep zombies as zombies guys?

thats what makes zombies diffrent from us, the dont shoot guns. they EAT.

i agree to some above, things carried like bloodbags and worker helmets fall off.

I don't see why these type of suggestions are so unrealistic. In the first episode of season 3 of The Walking Dead they had riot gear styled zombies which were very good. It's not like he's suggesting spitters or boomers.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really doubt a construction hat could take a few pistol rounds.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really doubt a construction hat could take a few pistol rounds.

Wanna try it? you go first.

• Like 5

First of all, DayZ has nothing to do with Zombies :)

Its infected much more like "28 Days Later", so most of this "they eat you" and "zombies are zombies" doenst apply here.

This is from Rockets own mouth and not something ive just made up.

Second, i would like to see a wieder diversity in the "infected", with different clothes and what not, but thats it.

The 2nd one with the grenade would not work either, as Rocket has stated several times now the infected have "twitches", meaning they have a lot of involuntary movement, so the grenade split could be pulled at every second after the server starts up.

I think a wider variety would be welcomed, but it's not necessarily high-priority.

In the long run, when player clothing gets to the point where it's providing very real and measurable benefits and drawbacks, these same effects should apply to zeds who wear similar items.

Eg. Body armour is body armour, no matter who's wearing it. Same goes for helmets, warm clothing, footwear (traction/speed), camo etc.

Some of the impact will depend on whether zeds feel cold and stuff like that, but it's worth thinking about IMO.

Ideally there would be some system of randomisation to zeds cothing, to stop it becoming stale and predictable.

Obvioulsy uniformed zeds won't have as much variation as civillians, but there would still be the chance for a mix of armoured and non-armoured military / police zeds.

I don't see why these type of suggestions are so unrealistic. In the first episode of season 3 of The Walking Dead they had riot gear styled zombies which were very good. It's not like he's suggesting spitters or boomers.

Well it's not the gear but the fact that they still have the knowledge left to use those things...if a zombie has his thumb stuck in a grenade pin why didn't he already pulled it off and waited until he sees a player? Every "stupid" animal would try to get out of something that traps a body part of it, this would also apply to zombies.

And a plastic construction helmet isn't designed with ballistic protection in mind...

I'm not against variety but in the end i all comes down to wanting a zombie with an AS50 TWS portable machine gun sniper with anti matter warheads...

First of all, DayZ has nothing to do with Zombies :)

Its infected much more like "28 Days Later", so most of this "they eat you" and "zombies are zombies" doenst apply here.

This is from Rockets own mouth and not something ive just made up.

Second, i would like to see a wieder diversity in the "infected", with different clothes and what not, but thats it.

The 2nd one with the grenade would not work either, as Rocket has stated several times now the infected have "twitches", meaning they have a lot of involuntary movement, so the grenade split could be pulled at every second after the server starts up.

They are zombies. 28 days later is a zombie film.

I think a wider variety would be welcomed, but it's not necessarily high-priority.

In the long run, when player clothing gets to the point where it's providing very real and measurable benefits and drawbacks, these same effects should apply to zeds who wear similar items.

Eg. Body armour is body armour, no matter who's wearing it. Same goes for helmets, warm clothing, footwear (traction/speed), camo etc.

Some of the impact will depend on whether zeds feel cold and stuff like that, but it's worth thinking about IMO.

Ideally there would be some system of randomisation to zeds cothing, to stop it becoming stale and predictable.

Obvioulsy uniformed zeds won't have as much variation as civillians, but there would still be the chance for a mix of armoured and non-armoured military / police zeds.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this, don't get me wrong I do enjoy some variety in the "infected" but I think it's best not to overcomplicate it. For example:

Armored Infected: Former Soldiers, SWAT, Uniformed Police or even some rag tag Militia wearing some form of body armor, it protects their torso from body shots, making small caliber weapons such as Handguns, Sub-machine guns or Shotguns firing buckshot generally useless, if they are wearing a helmet only a rifle or a shot to the face would kill. Killing them gives players a chance to scavenge usuable or damaged armor, the downsides are evident with increased chance of infection to the wear when equipped.

Backpackers: It would be nice to come across an odd Infected with a backpack, he'd be slower based on the stuff it has loaded into its pack. The loot inside is random too, so you could just kill an infected and find a bunch of empty bottles and tin cans if you were unlucky enough. The chance to find rotten/diseased food is high too and possibilities of finding broken equipment even more so. It'd be rare to find a backpacking infected who's equipment and gear is still within a workable condition.

Doctors/Nurses/Paramedics: Refers specifically to those within a medical industry. I say no to them carrying blood bags, morphine and epi-pens for infected such as Doctors or Paramedics at an extremely rare chance. Nurse Infected should carry Painkillers and/or Bandages but they carry an extremely high risk of infection when used.

"Suits" and Special Clothing: By Suits, I mean specific clothing types, Infected Doctors that wore white/red Cleansuits or Soldiers with NBC gear before they turned or firefighters wearing a fire retardent jacket, construction workers wearing high visibility vests. Anything that covers a specific profession should warrant an infected a small chance of wearing that clothing related to said profession.

• Like 1

They are zombies. 28 days later is a zombie film.

No.....

They are infected, not dead, but alive humans with a virus.

http://en.wikipedia....i/28_Days_Later

http://28dayslater.w.../wiki/Main_Page

So again, it has nothing to do with a zombie, its an infected person, which is alive and breathing.

Rocket has mentioned this several times by now, they are NOT dead and they are NOT zombies and we (players) are immune to the virus.

Biggest clue ever:

They starve to death............

Also do have a look at the Devblog with the motion capturing and tell me he is picturing a "true" zombie, coz he isnt. He even says that in the video.

Another source:

http://www.dayzrp.co...-dayz-infection

Official thread on subject:

http://dayzmod.com/f...nd-of-argument/

Edited by Byrgesen

Guys I had to rush this topic. Few tweaks are being listed and a few of your suggestions are implamented.

Yeah a few realistic variations of the infected sounds like a good idea. It would also make it a little more interesting.

Edited by Noszombie

A zombie with a grenade vest: Zombie has it's thumb stuck on the pin of a hand grenade. On alerting the zombie it would jerk and the pin of the grenade would be pulled and the zombie would sprint towards you. Meaning you have a few seconds to kill it (Explosion regardless where you shoot it) or Run (Safer). Killing the zombie before it sees you gives you a garenteed amount of grenades from as low as 1 - 4. Unlike the construction site worker this zombie would have a very rare spawn rate. Also if you have seen the zombies you notice walk walking and jerking they seem pretty docile. Even stupider to notice a pin of a grenade is stuck around his thumb. Duds may appear with a zombie whos got his thumb stuck on a smoke grenade

good ideas except this one ! haha.. I have always wanted more variety in zom textures for sure.. business suit geebus zombie in the city and dominatrix zombie near the sex shop

• Like 1

I want Infected:

- Estate Agents / Realtors

- Charity Collectors

- Street Mimes/Buskers

- Human Resources Managers

So I can shoot them from afar with my trusty Lee Enfield and not feel slightly bad because they could have been a decent human being before they were infected..

I want Infected:

- Street Mimes/Buskers

Mimes are cool.

If you two want to argue the definition, go start en edit-war on Wikipedia or something. :P

@Byrgesen, as far as I and most folks are concerned, 28 days later is a zombie movie.

If you want to be pedantic, George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead doesn't have zombies in it either. They're ghouls.

Zombies are Haitian, supposedly dead, and under the control of their voodoo master. Actually brain-damaged from being in a tetrodotoxin induced coma.

EDIT:

On-topic

I think I'd prefer less specific types of zeds, in favour of more variety in civillan clothing.

From playing plenty games over the years, pedestrians and mobs get repetitive fast.

I'd rather have mix n match zeds than just more "mythbuster" or "knitted breeks" models.

Even just simple texture-swaps would allow for variation, if actual changes in clothing are unreasonable.

Edited by Chabowski

It's already been confirmed that there would be more zombie models and even female/children zombies alike.

I believe that children zombie have been ruled out for the time being (possibly permanantly) due to having to create brand new skeletons for them and legal issues.

• Like 1

why the hell would the zombie have his finger on the pin. if anything the bomb zombie when he was still human would have pulled the pin before getting infected

he was attacked by zombie and we has going to commit suicide by pulling the pin but he got infected and since hes a retarded zombie he doesn't care if its on his finger. He likes his wedding ring the green apple gave him.