Sign in to follow this  
dekartz

Permanent injuries

Greetings, organic meat-bags.

I was watching the Mad Max trilogy a couple of days ago when something occurred to me: After getting his leg run over in the first movie, Max had a limp through all the movies from that point on (Though admittedly it didn't seem as pronounced in Thunderdome) This got me thinking: How is a little morphine and maybe a splint going to completely fix my leg?

Instead of a lengthy leg healing process, after breaking their leg the player should walk with a limp. For the rest of their life. Initially (For the first fifteen minutes after repairing the break or so) it will be outright debilitating, plodding along and dragging your busted up leg behind you. Though after that timeframe is up your character will always have a slight hit to their movement speed (Maybe 6-5%), take a bit longer to get from prone to standing, and generally just have a bum-leg.

Broken arms (If they're to be integrated) would be a bit harder. Initially it would just be shaky-as-hell aim with two-handed weapons. Then after some time a slight (But predictable) lean towards the previously injured side when aiming.

• Like 33

Actually a nice idea.

But I think it won't get in the game, 'cause DayZ is not the most realistic game and it shouldn't be it. Like now... It's totally unrealistic to fix a broken leg with a morphine injector, like "Hey buddy, I got a broken leg. No problem I got a magic morphine injector that spawns quite common, that fixes your leg completly in a second.".

Well Rocket said something, that they want to make something like a stabilizer to fix your broken leg in game.

Thanks for this Suggestion, though :)

Actually a nice idea.

But I think it won't get in the game, 'cause DayZ is not the most realistic game and it shouldn't be it. Like now... It's totally unrealistic to fix a broken leg with a morphine injector, like "Hey buddy, I got a broken leg. No problem I got a magic morphine injector that spawns quite common, that fixes your leg completly in a second.".

Well Rocket said something, that they want to make something like a stabilizer to fix your broken leg in game.

Thanks for this Suggestion, though :)

loot respawning there was a thread about no loot respawn some guy typed.

A good idea but should only be implemented when all the buggy leg breaks out of most weirdest places are fixed, in my opinion.

Edited by Soux
  • Like 7

Yes, oh god yes.

This will add so much character to our survivors.

Can you imagine getting your fingers shot off? Or scars criss-crossing your back and face? The possibilities are endless.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 2

Yes, oh god yes.

This will add so much character to our survivors.

Can you imagine getting your fingers shot off? Or scars criss-crossing your back and face? The possibilities are endless.

Yes, I really love the idea of seeing what you've experienced on your avatar. Scars, wounds, old injuries etc. All this would add a lot to the survival experience.

but leg breaks are too common, everyone would have a bum leg

Depends on the severity, then!

Zombies shouldn't break legs as much, though.

Also, this is an idea for SA, where presumably leg-breaks would be less common.

Right now if you shoot someone in the leg with any reasonably powerful gun, BOOM BROKEN LEG. I like the idea but they need to tone down on the leg breaking and add in a couple other injury levels, like a relatively shallow wound or a more serious "flesh" wound that misses bone...

It would also be cool if you hit an artery and there was an animation of blood spraying half a foot in the air as your character quickly bleeds out. :lol:

This would also affect survivors' ability to escape zombies... people would have to be a lot more careful if they walk with a limp, especially if zombies are going to have improved pathfinding and the ability to run indoors.

• Like 7

I like it. Chronic injuries tend to make your friends a more useful asset as well.

• Like 1

How about things such as if you were to get shot by a firearm in the chest, you could have breathing issues like that other zombies could possibly hear you at a certain range or even players around you. The longer you survive, the sooner you would recover from wounds.

I don't think it should be permanent but for a long while. Depending on how strenuous you push your character and how it impacts your wound. Maybe even make complications even worse.

I like the idea, but what about the people who get shot at the right spot in the back, are they just gonna have to crawl everywhere they go forever? Actually that doesn't sound have bad, instead of killing a bandit, cripple him, that is worse torture then finishing him.

How about things such as if you were to get shot by a firearm in the chest, you could have breathing issues like that other zombies could possibly hear you at a certain range or even players around you. The longer you survive, the sooner you would recover from wounds.

I think you would die if shot in the chest. You cannot survive severe injuries like this without proffessional surgery i dont think. It would be cool though for you to be able to tend wounded, like try to stop the bleeding with many bandages but the guy just dies. This will lend intensity to every wound taken.

Also it would be a good idea to have a medical system like in ACE/ACRE where you have to use many bandages to stop bleeding from bad wounds.

I don't think it should be permanent but for a long while. Depending on how strenuous you push your character and how it impacts your wound. Maybe even make complications even worse.

Agreed here.

Edited by Zarniwoop

well, if your leg gets chopped off with a hatchet walkingdeadgame maybe make a wooden leg? :D

EDIT: the letter m decided to flip upside down.

Edited by GOD™

The idea is very good, as long as it does not overtax the system. Injuries should not burden too much character performance either, otherwise everyone who feels that the handicap is too great will get themselves offed and start afresh.

• Like 1

The current DayZ system of "Morphine and forget" would RUIN your legs; just because you don't feel pain (morphine is a painkiller) doesn't mean your leg isn't broken to all hell. Every step you take, your leg could get worse and worse. Eventually the bone would cut through the muscle and regardless of how high you are on painkillers, you own't be able to walk.

So yeah, a new healing and damage system would be nice.

It'd be great to meet a player and ask, "So, what's with the leg?" and get some epic story.

And I agree with the poster above me; a significant non-aesthetic affliction would cause characters to make camp, suicide, and run to grab all their gear back, which is already done by bandits who won't risk other players giving them a blood transfusion or who are sick without medicine.

Edited by Applejaxc

I like the idea, but what about the people who get shot at the right spot in the back, are they just gonna have to crawl everywhere they go forever? Actually that doesn't sound have bad, instead of killing a bandit, cripple him, that is worse torture then finishing him.

Haha. I have this habit of driving thoughts like that into the extreme.... Just broke own laughing, thinking wether one would rather kill himself, or wait for his pals to come online and push his wheelchair. Followed by the question, what happens if a wheel on the wheelchair is broken. Will the wheelchair-player be able to shoot from his chair while waiting for his friends to return with a new wheel?

@Topic: At least in standalone, we'll probably get a far more complex system than the current one. Considering the leveling-system that was proposed, having a doctor who's able to permanently fix an injured teammate again, to a certain point, might even create a world, where a player who's permanently impaired ingame, might choose to take on his fate, rather than loosing all his abilities. His knowledge might be valuable enough, to motivate other players to push his wheelchair around and still give him back enough to make it worth playing for him. Interesting thought, how physical impairment vs. learned abilities will be seen in the future.

Edited by liquidmind

I think that if you treat yourself properly or have another player help you, you could avoid these permanent injuries.

This would just make it that much more epic.

As a newspawn I run into a character geared to the teeth with a limp arm, bum leg, and a scar across his face.

"looks like youve been through some shit."

• Like 3