LancerG2

SVD Camouflage vs M40A3 Camouflage.

Better sniper?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. What do you perfer. The M40A3 or SVD?

• SVD. Semi-auto rifles are better.
    • M40A3. Bolt action rifles tickle my fancy
    • Neither. I don't like a gun matching my ghillie suit.
    • I don't even snipe at all.
    • Good sir, I rather perfer the CZ550. The authentic sniper rifle seems to do the trick against the undead fiends!

If SVD ammo was more common, then I'd definitely go with the SVD camo.

Buuuut, it's not.

M40A3 any day.

Fancy gimmicks? op rifles? hill campers?

Jesus you nailed me exactly, but on a serious note isn't the cz 550's damage glitched atm?

It is a two hit kill I believe, but one hit has always knocked out a target. I've used it as a sort of "non-lethal" lethal rifle to take care of people I'm unsure of. I'll nail em' a second time if they're still awake, if not I'll give them some blood and an epi-pen after I've confiscated their weapons. But I usually use the AKM, as it is a very useful rifle with the most common ammunition of any high-tier rifle.

Edited by Cap'n

But I usually use the AKM, as it is a very useful rifle with the most common ammunition of any high-tier rifle.

Yeah the AKM is a good rifle but I still would prefer an AK kobra over it, just for the sights of course but the zeroing on the AKM is handy.

Fair enough i'm just used to seeing it's ammo in the 7.62 crates you find in barracks, besides they do close to the same damage, but I see your point.

Different rifles? dude in game they are practically the same I'm not talking about real life i'm talking about arma.

Go into armory put down a random character and a us special weapons box you will see an M24 and an M40A3, there is no denying they are basically the same, same zeroing range, same ammo, just a different covering.

No. They aren't the same. They're dead similar though. But I'm not going to correct you any more. Because I know I'm right. But then you may think I'm wrong. Anyway do what you want, Say what you want. Whatever.

• Like 1

No. They aren't the same. They're dead similar though. But I'm not going to correct you any more. Because I know I'm right. But then you may think I'm wrong. Anyway do what you want, Say what you want. Whatever.

You are correct I'll give you that, but seriously I just feel they are the same gun in game, but you have proved your point.
  • Like 2

You are correct I'll give you that, but seriously I just feel they are the same gun in game, but you have proved your point.

You have much honor sir.

Edited by LancerG2
  • Like 2

I like both but the M40 is worlds ahead. The SVD is one of my favourite rifles of all time but the M40 outclasses it for long distance shooting. The SVD fits in the same class as the DMR, fast rate if fire with reasonable accuracy. The M40 on the other hand is a lot more accurate and the zeroing and added zoom make it a lot better for anything over 400m. Although the SVD is capable of hitting targets over 1000m (I've done it on wasteland) it really shouldn't be used passed 800m, it's amazing in the 200-500m ranges though

Bolt Actions are gentleman's rifles.

That's why I shoot gentlemen. No place for chivalry currently in DAYZ.

SVD for me in DAYZ and Arma. I adore it.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 2

So the SVD camo does more dmaage? interesting, I may pick up this rifle when I'm done with my enfield.

• Like 1

I USE A HATCHET BITCHES.

COME GET ME.

;)

• Like 1

M40A3 - Love the mil-dots better than the SVD Range Scope. I really like the SVD, but I'd rather use mils than range it in scope. Just comes faster to me. One of the best rifles in the game.

Ha, I spit on you seaweed hill campers! You cowards rely on fancy gimmicks and overpowered rifles, whilst us real men headshot you at 800 meters with a CZ550. Anything below that and the AKM is the boss of all that is mid range.

HOW DARE YOU. IT'S BUSH HILL CAMPERS NOT SEAWEED. Also adding CZ550 rifle for those authentic firearms lovers.

Ha, I spit on you seaweed hill campers! You cowards rely on fancy gimmicks and overpowered rifles, whilst us real men headshot you at 800 meters with a CZ550. Anything below that and the AKM is the boss of all that is mid range.

"Overpowerd" oh dear..... the CoD terms have reared their ugly faces in this thread.

If I really had to choose I would choose M40A3 :).

I USE A SVD BITCH. COME AT ME.

(Damn quote feature is screwing up, My internet is a potato).

Edited by Goos

I prefer the SVD for practical uses, I play solo and wander around the map, and I need a rifle which is also good at those unexpected close and medium range encounters. The SVD works great in any reasonable range engagement up to about 700m - the only time you'd really need more magnification and accuracy is if you're camping...

eiXfQuX.png

>Day Z

>Camping.

Excuse me?

• Like 1

Gews did a whole run of weapons with thier accuracies. If I remember correctly, the M24 was the most accurate sniper in the game. I already liked the M24 before that. I know how the mil dot system works when it comes to finding the range of your target. As Gews said earlier in this post. He likes the SVD because of his ability to use it at about any range. I would agree with his play style but I prefer the M16 ACOG for the same reasons he likes the SVD. I just don't get that range he can with an SVD.

So we are comparing a marksman rifle(SVD) witha true sniper/scout rifle.

An SVD in soviet doctrine is used at squad and platoon levels.

M40 scout/snipers operate as teams on batalion levels as attached elements or organic teams.

Both feature a rangefinder in the scope. The SVD uses the PSO the M40 the mildots.

However its clear the m40 can be zeroed while the SVD can not.

So +1 for the m40 as a sniper rifle.

However the SVD has semi function and a lower mag scope.

So +1 for the SVD as marksman rifle.

They are both diffrent beast with some role commonality.

However they both shine in their own intended role.

SVD suits my roaming play style better than the M40 I just wish the ammo would drop more!

For those who don't know how to use the sight on the SVD here's the video that I learned from.

Hope it helps!

First off in they fire the same 7.62 round, and if you read my post above you would know that the m40a3 is just an m24 with the covering.

They fire different rounds actually. 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x54mm 7N1. I m not sure how thee damage differs

Depends on the situation. If there is a small amount of targets and i'm in very good cover etc etc then the m40a3, otherwise the svd with its higher rof, seemingly less clunky feel, better x hairs * think you can be more precice with the chevs* wins the day. Kinda the same for all bolt action to semi auto matchups.

I personally prefer svd camo, cause its usable on closer range, when you can just spread out bullets onto the target, and even though its still usable till 700m pretty much