SmashT

PAX East - March 2013 - Presenation/Q&A/Interviews/Articles

Thanks so much for this! Really enjoyed the video.

A couple of points that stuck out to me: the key to aim and teamwork.

I hope they keep the key to aim. If you can toggle lock it up, that'd be great, but I think the default should be lowered (and it should require more energy to keep your gun up.) And, I hope they have adopted Arma 3's ability to have a lowered pistol, as well. What would also be awesome is the ability to walk with nothing in your hands, your rifle slung on your shoulder or in your backpack and your pistol stowed as well. You could really freak out some sod aiming badly with a pistol who thinks you're unarmed when you duck around a rock only to lean out and shoot them with an AK you've pulled from your backpack.

As far as teamwork goes, I hope they find a good balance between the need for social interaction and the ability to play the game alone. I agree with the notion that it should be much more difficult for a lone wolf play style to succeed as compared to playing as part of a group, but it shouldn't be futile. So, I'm excited to see what challenges it presents.

As regards the reduction/prevention of KOS - given the mentality that exists, it seems the only way to achieve that is to make the actual ability to kill harder. Because when you listen to things like streamers on YouTube giving long, rambling justifications why they shoot unarmed players or reading, as I did yesterday in a chat room, a statement that killing new spawns is eliminating 'the threat at the source,' you can see that those who KOS will always find a rationalization for doing so. Some mod variants have approached this issue by making it harder to KOS... I mean, you can shoot on sight, but, unless you're really good with iron sights, the odds of getting a kill are much lower. Obviously, based on what was stated at PAX, it will be harder to KOS in the alpha at the start due to the weapon limitations... my question to Rocket would be, how will the Standalone deal with this issue as development progresses?

And will there be a way to identify bandits? In the current system, with ghillies and other skins rendering bandit identificaiton virtually impossible and this is also currently used as a justification for KOS. How will Standalone address bandit identification, if it will at all?

• Like 2

And another Zombie vid, this time pathfinding.

Edited by RedNome
  • Like 2

And another Zombie vid, this time pathfinding.

Any way of seeing the whole presentation?

• Like 3

MMROPGcom interviews Dean Hall

I have a feeling that when he says that they are going to go into lockdown till June that we aren't going to see or hear any info till then. So no more dev blogs or tweets or vids or anything. Just what I think not sure if that's what is going to happen.

Part 3:

• Like 2

I have a feeling that when he says that they are going to go into lockdown till June that we aren't going to see or hear any info till then. So no more dev blogs or tweets or vids or anything. Just what I think not sure if that's what is going to happen.

Tbh, I think between all the devblogs so far, the PAX videos we've seen and the upcoming devblog that Rocket has said he is doing before his Everest trip, we've seen everything that we need to see at this point.

Lets leave the rest as a surprise for when we all get access to the game itself so it's all nice a fresh and new.

In other words, I think we all need to go into lockdown now and look ahead to the good things in store for us, I for one can't wait.

• Like 5

he kinda mentioned things that could be upcoming dev blogs though. he also mentioned the cost of internet access from Everest

I had the chance to hang with Dean and Matt for a bit at PAX East 2013 and Dean was nice enough to give us an interview and show us some epic footage of the new standalone. Video link is below, hope you guys enjoy.

• Like 10

Nice work all, cheers for the last one Ripper :thumbsup:

Rocket:

" Post it on reddit or something and I'll read it."

So, is this still the official forum?

No, but it is a fun place to hang out nonetheless. Laughs are being had.

But let's not expect any news besides what we (that is, Smasht) put here ourselves.

• Like 3

Rocket:

" Post it on reddit or something and I'll read it."

So, is this still the official forum?

No, but it is a fun place to hang out nonetheless. Laughs are being had.

^ That's pretty disappointing tbh

^ That's pretty disappointing tbh

Yea would be nice if this forum was used more, but It's not that hard to check reddit and it gives me something to do.

Am I the only one that likes the fact that first person and third person are both connected to one another? It really does show that whatever you do outside of third person is going to look the same in first. The only problem I really had in ArmA 2 with first person was that the gun would leave your sight when jogging, and now they've fixed that. I hope that the ability to see the upper part of your gun stays in DayZ standalone.

• Like 1