JohnMadden (DayZ)

Respawn Confirmation

Was alive for about a week' date=' fully equipped and got 700+ Zeds kills.

I was going to change video options, when missclicked and pressed "Respawn" :D

R.I.P

Demoralization complete :D

Please, make additional conformation for "Respawn".

Smth like: "Are you sure? If you press *Yes* you will lose... blah, blah, blah,... To stay alive and to continue the game with your current character press *No*"

Thanx!

[/quote']

THIS. Had this happen to me twice now since purchasing the game last week, normally id suck it up and carry on but when we’re dealing with something like permadeath, there needs to be a checkbox pop-up! I have been messing with the video options pretty much constantly to try and fix the FPS crash bug from the latest update so I guess it was bound to happen again, eventually. When you’re present in a dangerous game environment like this, filled with hostile players and zombies you really do want to be in and out of the options screen as quick as possible since it puts you at a huge disadvantage visually. So a misclick under those circumstances is a very likely, very possible outcome (and for some reason potentially deadly!?). The bottom line for me is that I don’t think a player should be punished this severely (or at all tbh) for misclicking "Video Options" It's just absurd and hugely demoralising when it occurs, If you wish to implement suicide in a post-apocalyptic environment into a game then please find a way to do so within the game and keep it out of the interface options. People have suggested in other threads that "Hey this is ArmA, be more careful lolz" and yes ArmA rewards patience and careful planning within the game world but I didn’t think that applied to the configuration and options menu too! It feels like there is a landmine embedded into my interface, I cannot be the only logical person who thinks it’s very silly to have an instant suicide button embedded into the menu system! Surely it couldn’t be difficult to add this to the mod, prompt boxes are one of the first things they teach you in programming class afterall. Heck the funny thing is they even have a prompt box asking if you’re sure about logging out, so it’s there, it’s been done, it’s in engine already. Y NO RESPAWN PROMPT BOX RAWKET?

Other people have had this suggestion before.

Please use the search function.

As for you sir, I’ve seen you post the EXACT same reply in several threads on this issue, if there is a dedicated thread on this matter then why not be helpful and provide a link to it, not only to help out the original poster but anyone else who comes across this thread. I have searched this issue and found a handful of threads on it, all with 2-3 replies, none of which are helpful and none with confirmation or thoughts on the issue from the dev team. This issue needs addressing now, I’m sure the guys at Bohemia have realised that they have struck gold with this mod and it’s only going to get more popular over time if handled right, if it ends up being a standalone expansion released to the market, then it could end up making them more money in the future than the upcoming ArmA 3 title (Sorry fanboys), ArmA has always been niche after all, it’s good but it’s not for everyone, that’s clear, zombies are very much pop culture right now, zombies sell. Anyway I’m going off topic somewhat, what I’m trying to say that as this game goes forward it’s going to need certain, very basic implements like the one in question, Its standard, its expected. Imagine some buffoon at IGN or other mainstream press site giving a preview of the game, only to have this issue crop up for him, it’s going to piss him off, he is going to think it’s stupid and he is probably going to write about it in his blog/preview or whatever. I’m not saying it would hurt the games rep irrevocably (especially if it came from someone like IGN) but it’s going to make the product SEEM very amateur, which isn’t the case imo. I get that it’s an alpha, I get that it’s not finished its just it’s a very simple yet omitted feature that’s been left out (Unclear if its intentional or an oversight), it’s not like it would take weeks to write the code for a simple prompt box after all, I have heard the ArmA engine can be a pain for programmers but seriously? I didn’t rage when I died from the crashed heli bug, I didn’t rage when the respawn misclick happened (TWICE) so please don’t take this as a rant. This is just an issue I’ve been effected by and I hope it will be fixed in the future. It just made me feel a bit defeated after getting pwned by a menu misclick rather than an inworld mistake.

TL;DR VERSION: ROCKET! WHEN THE INTERFACE MENU IS MORE DEADLY THAN ZOMBIES OR PLAYERS, YOU GOT PROBLEMS SON.

Even though my hand–eye coordination is vastly superior to anyone else's, I feel I need to help those less fortunate than me. Bring on the confirmation boxes!

Hey i think i speak for a lot of players when i say i think there should be a confirmation box after pressing the respawn button as a lot of people are miss clicking and loosing all there hard earned items

Hope this can be implemented into the game as it would be a really useful thing for a lot of people

Best regards

Harry

Just be more careful. If this has happened to you more than once I'd say you need to slow down a bit.

yes, it happened to me once. i learned my lesson now. but i dont think its a whole lot of code to implement. there is already a thing like this when u abort. it asks u if u want to abort. its the exact same thing.

While slowing down would cut down on the mistaken respawn but shit happens and it would be nice to have that one last confirmation before you respawn.

I find it funny that there is a confirmation for exiting but not repawning.

No reason not to have one. The devs probably intend to add one but it is just not deemed a priority.

Fully support it though as, like you say, it can't be very hard to implement and would save a lot of heartache.

Guys, please add confirmation dialog after clicking Respawn. I've just misclicked it (wanted to go to Options) and lost days of gameplay. I am... demoralized.:@

Same thing just happened to me. Please please please add this feature.

And sorry mods, I just made a post about this *before* searching for other posts.

Saying "just be more careful" is stupid when it could easily be added, would take nothing away from the game, and is included in virtually every professionally made game. Not to mention the huge amount of confirmation dialogues used in operating systems, software, and on certain websites.

It's just common sense. People misclick, even when they're really paying attention.

This would totally help. I've done this once before and it was just the worst feeling ever. I wanted to hit 'Options' and hit 'Respawn' instead. Significant FML moment.

Small thing that could save a huge amount of heartbreak!

It has never been in any Arma game but it wouldnt hurt I suppose. Cant see it being a priority.

Oh and remember, this is an Arma 2 thing, not something to do with the Dayz mod.

Brother just did this as well after a few days of being alive and building up some gear. Mad inconvenient for the rest of our group...

I think this just happened to me, only way I can explain it. Was about to log off and was hit by a lag spike (screen froze) next thing I know I get a "You are Dead" background. My friend said he heard no shots, and there were no zombies nearby.

My guess is when i clicked 'Abort', the lag caused it to clicked 'Respawn'. I am pretty annoyed cause I had Ghillie suit and some good guns, but I guess you have to just accept these things when playing an Alpha version of a game/mod.

The point is, if it was caused by this and not some weird death glitch then a respawn confirmation box could have easily avoided it.

day 9, NW airfield, changing options, accidentally hit 'RESPAWN'. Died and cried. I know I'm not the only one who has done this.

Can I suggest... 'Are you sure? Yes/No' window for respawning to prevent such tragic accidents.

Of course, on an Oceanic server ANZ11 so it crashed before my team could grab my equipment... sooo tragic.

I am sure I am not the only one who has done this. You go to click options and accidentally click respawn. Bam! You're dead. Its not a huge issue, me and my buddies usually get a laugh out of it when someone does it(Like me last night). But didn't think it was a bad idea to just put a small dialog box or something.

Regards,

Dizzymagoo

I really want a window that pops up asking if you're sure you want to respawn. Just now I lost an M4A3 CCO, M24, and M9SD because I clicked "Respawn" instead of "Options".