Rakkasan

Genre dun for?

When this MOD first came out the game play was immersive and intense to say the least. It was stressful and exciting. Weeks went by and Arma 2 sales increased two-fold. The mod went player base quadrupled in weeks and the excitement went away as the floods of players who joined in and the waves of beach killings began.

It went from 'wow' this is cool. To wow let me shoot this dude who is sitting here infront of me, in just a matter of weeks. There is absolutely no turning away from this. Millions of players are now turned onto this type of genre of game and awaiting the standalone. From the moment you load into the new game, it will be a shoot out on the beach. The immersion felt by those of us who were some of the few who were the first to play the mod before the growing popularity is gone. I am glad the MOD became popular by all means, I am just sad it became such a fragfest. I want to believe things will be different when the standalone releases, but as I jump from each new MOD of the Dayz MOD (Dayz Origins etc...)I see nothing really changes. You spawn. You get shot.

None-the-less I can't wait for the standalone.

• Like 2

Weird how I barely get KoS, maybe it's because I don't carry a primary weapon and avoid the bandit skin like the plague.

• Like 1

The genre itself is completely new, and stand for further installments to use this recent popularity in order to produce something decent enough for fans of the genre to enjoy.

I know several games that had attempted such ideas, but 2 that practically made me lose hope in the genre are Fort Zombie and WarZ.However, it is a genre in its infancy. DayZ was a good start, one that surely will bring along more games to come. DayZ may have lost it's touch somewhat, mainly as once you know the map and how the zombie behavior coding is, but hopefully DayZ SA can re-birth DayZ once it releases.

Translation of OP's post:

'game was good when no one played it but when it got popular and mainstream it totally sucked'

Great. Another hipster.

Edited by Shrapnell

Translation of OP's post:

'game was good when no one played it but when it got popular and mainstream it totally sucked'

Great. Another hipster.

Great. Another person who can't read.

That's not what he said at all. He said the new players brought CoD with them and turned into a free-for-all, which I can actually kind of agree with. Back in late May last year, there was much less KoS, although it still existed I can say.

• Like 5

He said the new players brought CoD (mindset) with them and turned into a free-for-all, which I can actually kind of agree with. Back in late May last year, there was much less KoS, although it still existed I can say.

Totally agree. Funny thing is most of the people that seem to have a major issue with KOS never get out of Cherno or Elektro anyway.

• Like 3

I think it would be boring without KoS. But honestly, I wish the good loot was a lot farther away from spawn so dying would actually be scary instead of dying and jury-rigging an autorun tool and going AFK for 15mins to get up north.

seriously keeping 3rd person view is waaay more fail than this....

Try the Balota Buddies Hardcore server - No 3rd person, no waypoints.

Great. Another person who can't read.

That's not what he said at all. He said the new players brought CoD with them and turned into a free-for-all, which I can actually kind of agree with. Back in late May last year, there was much less KoS, although it still existed I can say.

Hey, pal, I don't like KOS CoD kiddies either, but right now bandits are the only threat.

I am waiting for the SA for less KOS.

Well, Rocket said he wanted an anti-game. A kind of social experiment. If that what it turns into, death and mayhem, then I guess the experiment was a success. For better or worse, we found out how people behave within this game. I still find people who are friendly. I just want less servers with side chat. Totally removes a lot of the tension. ANYONE IN CHERNO???? IM FRENDLYY. <_<

• Like 1

When this MOD first came out the game play was immersive and intense to say the least. It was stressful and exciting. Weeks went by and Arma 2 sales increased two-fold. The mod went player base quadrupled in weeks and the excitement went away as the floods of players who joined in and the waves of beach killings began.

It went from 'wow' this is cool. To wow let me shoot this dude who is sitting here infront of me, in just a matter of weeks. There is absolutely no turning away from this. Millions of players are now turned onto this type of genre of game and awaiting the standalone. From the moment you load into the new game, it will be a shoot out on the beach. The immersion felt by those of us who were some of the few who were the first to play the mod before the growing popularity is gone. I am glad the MOD became popular by all means, I am just sad it became such a fragfest. I want to believe things will be different when the standalone releases, but as I jump from each new MOD of the Dayz MOD (Dayz Origins etc...)I see nothing really changes. You spawn. You get shot.

None-the-less I can't wait for the standalone.

how many fucking threads do we need about this subject?

when is the book on how dayz changed and made us sad pandas comming out?

djez man...fukkin foul djez smell in the ass...this is like a lesbian spunkmachine that wont turn itself off!

Edited by svisketyggeren

Has the genre even been truly born in as a consumer product? Bit early to say it's dying considering.

Seems to me it's been in testing for a year with one cheap Russian knock-off having made it out of beta (or so they claim).

I started playing again and messing around with some of the new mods of the mod. Immersion and atmosphere are still there. I get sniped or meet KOS people from time to time, but I've had way more friendly/neutral interactions that I used to back in June of last year. Could be your personal interest in the mod is just waning.

• Like 1

If you don't shoot at people you meet, don't hang out near high-value loot areas and aren't crouched behind a rock with your rifle pointed at a guy from 400m away the first time he notices you, you'll be shot at by fewer than half the dudes you meet. The myth that "Everyone is KoS CoD PoS 24/7/365" is a wild exaggeration. Some crybaby loses his map and ALICE pack and he comes in here and calls his killer a mean name and everyone says he's a sissy, so he has to validate his whining by passing it off as a public service announcement about the State of the Game, which is hogwash. Then all those new players you were talking about come to the forum to find out how the game works and the first thing that they learn from experienced players is to "trust nobody", "fear everybody", "be ready to fight for your beans" and do not, under any circumstances, hesitate to use lethal force to do so. The most poisonous of all is, "I only play with my mates, on Teamspeak, and if we see anyone who isn't on our TS, we assume they're hostile and kill them. It's the only way to survive in DayZ."

Grip up, you weenies. You're drunk on fear and you have nobody but yourself to blame. Here's what happens: Someone gets shot and is butthurt. They start a thread about how hurt their butt is. Someone else reads the thread and decides they won't be a victim, they're gonna stay safe at all costs. Then they see a player and shoot them out of fear. The victim starts a thread about his hurt butt. You jerks are making it happen more by telling everyone it happens all the time.

• Like 5

I'm really hoping that the gameplay in the SA will be much more focused on survival, and less on guns and weapons.

In it's current state the game is just a FPS with a few survival mechanics tacked on (even with the new disease mechanic), which is why people are so focused on combat.

I'd like to see the amount of gun spawns reduced drastically, since this would very probably reduce the importance of PvP, and melee weapons would start playing a bigger role. Taking the place of guns would be makeshift ranged weapons like the sling, that could be assembled using the crafting system.

I'm not suggesting that guns be removed entirely, just reduce their usefulness by either limiting the amount of guns or make the ammo for even the common guns really rare.

Not everybody should have access to a gun.

Edited by TheSodesa

If you don't shoot at people you meet, don't hang out near high-value loot areas and aren't crouched behind a rock with your rifle pointed at a guy from 400m away the first time he notices you, you'll be shot at by fewer than half the dudes you meet. The myth that "Everyone is KoS CoD PoS 24/7/365" is a wild exaggeration. Some crybaby loses his map and ALICE pack and he comes in here and calls his killer a mean name and everyone says he's a sissy, so he has to validate his whining by passing it off as a public service announcement about the State of the Game, which is hogwash. Then all those new players you were talking about come to the forum to find out how the game works and the first thing that they learn from experienced players is to "trust nobody", "fear everybody", "be ready to fight for your beans" and do not, under any circumstances, hesitate to use lethal force to do so. The most poisonous of all is, "I only play with my mates, on Teamspeak, and if we see anyone who isn't on our TS, we assume they're hostile and kill them. It's the only way to survive in DayZ."

Grip up, you weenies. You're drunk on fear and you have nobody but yourself to blame. Here's what happens: Someone gets shot and is butthurt. They start a thread about how hurt their butt is. Someone else reads the thread and decides they won't be a victim, they're gonna stay safe at all costs. Then they see a player and shoot them out of fear. The victim starts a thread about his hurt butt. You jerks are making it happen more by telling everyone it happens all the time.

truth told

Zeds need to be a threat like in Left 4 Dead. Plain and simple. They need to be a game mechanic element that you are forced to co-op against.

Zeds need to be a threat like in Left 4 Dead. Plain and simple. They need to be a game mechanic element that you are forced to co-op against.

So solo play should be impossible?

I have played since May and have never been shot on the beach.

It's all about the server... Find better servers.

djez man...fukkin foul djez smell in the ass...this is like a lesbian spunkmachine that wont turn itself off!

My IQ significantly decreased having read that.

I've never seen players getting killed at the beach. There are a lot of killing on sight incidents though, even towards unarmed players. Unfortunately it will always be this way in the mod. In the SA however, gameplay will be much more focused on survival and teamwork rather than mindless killing.

ROFL. Some peoples kids. Keyboard warriors. Anyhows. What I was getting at is how new the game felt when I first played it. It was a different type of game play. I different type of game. Not the run and gun. Then couple of weeks later it became run and gun. Not intentionally I am sure. Lets face it, how many people actually killed anyone because they actually needed the beans or can of coke. Please. Just do it because you can. Kiddies do it because they want to claim they are bandits, ew, the self proclamation of being a B.A.M.F. (bad ass mother fucker). Please. Internet is full of B.A.M.F. 's

So I am playing Dayz Origins now, doesn't seem to be as bad. Hit Random spawn and survive a little longer. Seems to be a little more fun and new because I have never played Taviana before and I am completely lost. So I am getting back into Dayz a little. Just a little put off by the last guy who shot me in the store and his comment of "Fuck you mother fucker, thanks for the cans"...as I didnt even have cans and he sounded about 10 years old. Again I can't wait for the standalone so we all will be on the same noob level.

Not everybody should have access to a gun.

Yeah, I'd like to see guns/ammo be a lot more rare too. Even more rare than say DayZ+. It would be cool if every 9mm mag you found was a big score. I'd be fine, shitty as it may be as a main weapon, to run around with a double-barrel for a week before finding my first AK.

I think the game would be in a perfect state of balance when people have to ask themselves, "Is this worth a bullet?". Rocket has said that The Road was part of his inspiration when making the mod. Bullets being precious is a big part of that story.

Seriously...do people even WATCH zombie films and shows like The Walking Dead? 90% of the people you meet who aren't zombies are total assholes who will either kill you or are so annoying you should kill them. Why should DayZ be any different?

I have to agree that over time this genre has devolved into something of a free for all to an extent. However I would also agrue that the genre is still new and not much has been fleshed out besides the killing and looting.

Seriously...do people even WATCH zombie films and shows like The Walking Dead? 90% of the people you meet who aren't zombies are total assholes who will either kill you or are so annoying you should kill them. Why should DayZ be any different?

maybe cause flims and shows are written with those kind of interactions in mind. With a larger sample size of player interactions you are bound to come across out-liners and exceptions to those descriptions for both extremes.

Edited by Orthus