PuRe DAYZ

Should there be a campaign for dayZ stand alone?

hey guys i was just thinking about a campaign for dayz and what exactly it would be like, what do you think, should there even be a campaign in dayz, what do you think a camaign in dayz would be like would it be co op i know dayz dev is working very hard and im not asking for anything thanks dayz dev team keep up the good work and leave me some creative posts

-CHEERS-

The players create the story. No written story can outmatch experiences. You make your own story in DayZ, based on decisions. So no i don´t think they should put time into a singleplayer story. Singleplayer on DayZ right now is basicly playing DayZ on your own, and while a story or a objective could spice that up, id rather they focus on making the DayZ experience the best, then they can allways work on a singleplayer later.

• Like 2

hell no the basis of the game is a mmorpg

It would be nice to have a story, particularly about how the infection started and how people got wiped out.

Its not priority, we need a working multiplayer game first, and will proberly not be in either alpha or beta, but in final version it would be awsome.

Perhaps follow an "important character" in the DayZ story and get a sense of what rocket and the devs feel is the start of all this mayhem. So one would be able to see the society collaps, riots and looting,military powers trying to regain control and failing and finally, total collaps and then a screen saying something like: "DayZ, this is your story" in the end, possibly pointing out you can continue "sandbox" style with your own story in multiplayer.

This way people could play the story if they are suckers for lore, or leave it alone if they dont feel like its what they want. Perhaps make it 4-6 hours gameplay, nothing big or anything.

There would be no pressure on the community to accept storyline, as it would be optional.

It would also be a nice way to introduce people to the controls and game mechanics, smoothing out the learning curve abit.

But just to clarify, the multiplayer is most important and should have 100% focus untill its near perfection, then a singleplayer story could be worked on.

hell no the basis of the game is a mmorpg

I see, so the fact that all MMORPG has a story doesnt apply here? :)

Thats kinda what RPG implies tbh, having some kind of story line so you can RP your way through. But since its gonna be sandbox, theres no room for story in multiplayer, coz it would restrict it to much.

Hence singleplayer campaign.

If it was an optional choice, nobody could complain about it being there lol.... (think of 3rd and CH -_-)

Ofc there would be complaints, but none justified, if the multiplayer is perfectly balanced when singleplayer gets introduced, just like you cant justify removing CH and 3rd as it is now :)

Edited by Byrgesen

A possible back story to the game giving information about the infection and possible map locations which have information and hints to the back story like labs etc would be cool, you can go investigating through the land but having a campaign with objectives etc just takes the point of the game out

So no.

That's like saying should there be a campaign for garry's mod.

• Like 1

It would be nice to have a story, particularly about how the infection started and how people got wiped out.

Its not priority, we need a working multiplayer game first, and will proberly not be in either alpha or beta, but in final version it would be awsome.

Perhaps follow an "important character" in the DayZ story and get a sense of what rocket and the devs feel is the start of all this mayhem. So one would be able to see the society collaps, riots and looting,military powers trying to regain control and failing and finally, total collaps and then a screen saying something like: "DayZ, this is your story" in the end, possibly pointing out you can continue "sandbox" style with your own story in multiplayer.

This way people could play the story if they are suckers for lore, or leave it alone if they dont feel like its what they want. Perhaps make it 4-6 hours gameplay, nothing big or anything.

There would be no pressure on the community to accept storyline, as it would be optional.

It would also be a nice way to introduce people to the controls and game mechanics, smoothing out the learning curve abit.

But just to clarify, the multiplayer is most important and should have 100% focus untill its near perfection, then a singleplayer story could be worked on.

I see, so the fact that all MMORPG has a story doesnt apply here? :)

Thats kinda what RPG implies tbh, having some kind of story line so you can RP your way through. But since its gonna be sandbox, theres no room for story in multiplayer, coz it would restrict it to much.

Hence singleplayer campaign.

If it was an optional choice, nobody could complain about it being there lol.... (think of 3rd and CH -_-)

Ofc there would be complaints, but none justified, if the multiplayer is perfectly balanced when singleplayer gets introduced, just like you cant justify removing CH and 3rd as it is now :)

i wasnt implying there shouldnt be a storyline for the multiplayer, my point is the devs shouldnt waste there time on single player gameplay when the thing that attracts people to the game is the fact it is a huge open world online game

i wasnt implying there shouldnt be a storyline for the multiplayer, my point is the devs shouldnt waste there time on single player gameplay when the thing that attracts people to the game is the fact it is a huge open world online game

i never asked i even said in my question i just wanted to see the mixed thoughts, saying it again this is just a question

any way i think it would be quite nice having a quick story to show how the infection started it would give you a bit more purpose but with or without a campain this game seems complete

its nice to see all the different responses as well ;)

Edited by PuRe DAYZ

A possible back story to the game giving information about the infection and possible map locations which have information and hints to the back story like labs etc would be cool, you can go investigating through the land but having a campaign with objectives etc just takes the point of the game out

So no.

Im having abit trouble understanding.

So your saying having a small singleplayer campaing, showing the "prelude" to DayZ would take the point out of the game?

Hmm in my world it would only add more of a point to the game, giving people the option to explore what really happened in Chernarus :)

And since you most likely DONT have to play any kind of singleplayer to play multiplayer, it would not affect you in any way what so ever.

Hmm would hardly call it a waste of time if they "finish" mutiplayer before taking singleplayer on?

I see what you are saying, sandbox is the spirit of this game, no doubt. But theres alot of people out there hungry for lore, hence DayZ Origins's popularity.

I think all im trying to say is, theres no way a small singleplayer campaign, developed AFTER multiplayer, can lover the quality of the game.

If anything it would add quality, because it would be the ideal place to start for new people, wanting to learn the game.

Its also an element, which could potentially draw more people to the game, as they arent thrown into crazy chaos with no clue right from the start.

Maybe we can compare it to arma, where the multiplayer is the core funtion in arma, but the singleplayer doesnt hurt one bit and its a great place to learn the game.

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 1

So your saying having a small singleplayer campaing, showing the "prelude" to DayZ would take the point out of the game?

Hmm in my world it would only add more of a point to the game, giving people the option to explore what really happened in Chernarus :)

And since you most likely DONT have to play any kind of singleplayer to play multiplayer, it would not affect you in any way what so ever.

Hmm would hardly call it a waste of time if they "finish" mutiplayer before taking singleplayer on?

I see what you are saying, sandbox is the spirit of this game, no doubt. But theres alot of people out there hungry for lore, hence DayZ Origins's popularity.

I think all im trying to say is, theres no way a small singleplayer campaign, developed AFTER multiplayer, can lover the quality of the game.

If anything it would add quality, because it would be the ideal place to start for new people, wanting to learn the game.

Its also an element, which could potentially draw more people to the game, as they arent thrown into crazy chaos with no clue right from the start.

Maybe we can compare it to arma, where the multiplayer is the core funtion in arma, but the singleplayer doesnt hurt one bit and its a great place to learn the game.

you have my beans i love you <3

I don't think a campaign would fit into DayZ. It's a multiplayer mod that thrives on player v player interaction as well as player v environment and you can't capture both in a single player campaign.

As for a story me personally I could care less. I never bother with stories or the characters tbh so for me no doesnt need it.

In my eyes, the game is an open world survival game, its not meant to have a point to the game other than to create your own story. I can use minecraft here as an example, although they added the end game credits after defeating the dragon in the end, the game has no real objective other than to survive and make the game your own. I believe dayz having small easter eggs and clues dotted around which reveal a story could be fun because its just something on the side which is optional and it gives an indepth look to the game while free roaming, But having missions and objectives just turns it into a linear single player game like 'Dead Island' and thats not what dayz is supposed to be :)

Hehe thank you :)

Can only agree with you, its not a bad idea for the game, but it wont hurt if its left out :)

A single player that's the same as the multiplayer? It'd be boring, but sure.

A campaign is a no in my books though. There doesn't need to be a story about how it all happened. If the first time we played, there was an intro saying something like "A virus has spread through the country. With no way of escaping, you are one of the 1% remaining. This is your story" (I'm terrible at writing, just an example) then I would be happy. There doesn't need to be a huge backstory.

I love the idea that Rocket is implementing where you can find books that were wrote just before the apocalypse or during it. It leaves you guessing.

Ultimately, DayZ is about creating your own story, that's what makes it such a great experience. You make your stories, you don't have them shoved in your face in the way of cut scenes or story lines

Edited by AussieStig
  • Like 1

I think it would be cool if there were dayz based scenarios set during the start of the outbreak that could either be SP or MP. Apart from lore I would keep it compeltely seperate from the existing Dayz games though.

Edited by Talibambi

Hehe thank you :)

Can only agree with you, its not a bad idea for the game, but it wont hurt if its left out :)

In my eyes, the game is an open world survival game, its not meant to have a point to the game other than to create your own story. I can use minecraft here as an example, although they added the end game credits after defeating the dragon in the end, the game has no real objective other than to survive and make the game your own. I believe dayz having small easter eggs and clues dotted around which reveal a story could be fun because its just something on the side which is optional and it gives an indepth look to the game while free roaming, But having missions and objectives just turns it into a linear single player game like 'Dead Island' and thats not what dayz is supposed to be :)

Very true, we dont want DayZ Island rofl.

But it seems like you think we meen objectives and story in multiplayer, we dont.

It should be a seperate campaign, explaining the beginning of the end. It should not have any kind of effect on MP games, it was just ment as a way of discovering the cause of it all.

But i must say i love the idea of notes lying around explaining stuff about the past. ;) Its a nice way to give people more RP options, or just leave it alone if they dont care.

I don't think a campaign would fit into DayZ. It's a multiplayer mod that thrives on player v player interaction as well as player v environment and you can't capture both in a single player campaign.

As for a story me personally I could care less. I never bother with stories or the characters tbh so for me no doesnt need it.

Well just because you dont like story, doenst mean the rest 1,49 million players have the same opinion :)

But can you honestly say it would ruin the game for you if there was a singleplayer button in the main menu? :)

I understand the point with pvp and pve interaction, but thats not the point of the singleplayer we are talking about, its merely a story about how it all came to be. Call it an introduction to the game mechanics, with a story in front of it :)

Ultimately, DayZ is about creating your own story, that's what makes it such a great experience. You make your stories, you don't have them shoved in your face in the way of cut scenes or story lines

Love that sentance :) I agree with you, we make our own story.

But you would still be able to do so, if you dont care about singleplayer it would not affect you at all.

TBH its about giving players choices and making the game as appealing to as many people as possible, without compromising the core ideas of the game.

Edited by Byrgesen

This is my story, not Rocket's,

in my personal opinion you could play the campaign looking at what and how the map of churnurus changed you could go into the multiplayer knowing what happened it would make you feel very haunted knowing what actrually happened as youre walking though churno so you can can see a peacefull world turn into a shithouse i think that if there was a campaign they should make it as short as possiable letting the player get straight into the multi-player and have a insite of what happened

• Like 1

i would rather they continue to update the multiplay than consider a single player

Love that sentance :) I agree with you, we make our own story.

But you would still be able to do so, if you dont care about singleplayer it would not affect you at all.

TBH its about giving players choices and making the game as appealing to as many people as possible, without compromising the core ideas of the game.

You're kind of contradicting yourself there. You say "we make our own story" but you want a campaign with a story in it.

A campaign would tell you the story, it would give you everything you need to know about what is happening. I'm all for a singleplayer mode, just not something outside of the multiplayer mode that dictates the entire story. The story needs to happen in the multiplayer side of things, or not at all.

• Like 2

i dont think the campaign should be like every other campaign it should just be there to give you insight of what happened in the past and nothing else no flying around in a chopper shooting zombies the campaign should stop just after the out break begins so you feel like you are continuing i hope rocket sees this and maybe considered what i just said i know campaigns are not for everyone but just think of it as a flashback just reminding you of what happened someone please tell me they understand what im saying PLEASE

thank you for all youre creative responses this is now a hot topic in just 6 mins :)

The question is, wether the game and wether the player should have a story.

The game definitely should. We need at least some vague facts about what happend and what's going on.

But as rocket already implied a few times that he already has a great explanation worked out with his brother, that's going to be the case anyway I think.

The player himself on the other hand... no... never... don't see it...

At best a general explanation why players start where they start. wether we were living in chernarus, fleeing the city and started or just arrived to chernarus because of whatever reason.. but I would hate to see any storyline that I should follow. Even if I don't have to follow it.

You're kind of contradicting yourself there. You say "we make our own story" but you want a campaign with a story in it.

A campaign would tell you the story, it would give you everything you need to know about what is happening. I'm all for a singleplayer mode, just not something outside of the multiplayer mode that dictates the entire story. The story needs to happen in the multiplayer side of things, or not at all.

i agree

• Like 1

I see hehe.

What i ment is, i want a prelude. I can make my own story with a prelude easily :) Just a quick view of event, with you ending up on the beach and MP starting.

But if its possible to incorporate more RP in MP im all for it :D

I can make my own story any day, simply by ignoring SP, but i want to hear Rockets story tbh :)

So perhaps campaing is the wrong word for it, coz i dont want the whole story. I want a quick outline of events leading to you starting on the beach.

Rockets story in fracments, for you to build on or ignore at your own will.

Edited by Byrgesen