r4z0r49

DayZ Mod 1.7.6 Update

1. A crossbow shoots bolts (shorter, sturdier) and not arrows

2. Bolts are made of steel/carbon alloys, never wood (they would splinter when fired...)

3. Bolts rarely break but if you fire one into woods at 10 meters you will NOT be able to pull it out

4. A crossbow should not be a one shot/one kill, only an headshot could and even modern crossbows would have problems to penetrate the skull

2. There was a time, not so long ago when people had no steel/carbon allyos. But they had and used Crossbows.

So what where they made of if not wood?

4. A modern "Crossbow" can for sure penetrate a human skull, depending on the force, range and where it impacted the skull. Matter of Fact they are designed to penetrate armor not even speaking of bones.

But like you said, you shoot bows, not crossbows.

Edited by Reed

A 'modern' crossbow shoots arrows, not bolts.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a bolt:

various-bolt-images.jpg

These "bolts" look nothing like the things I shoot from my crossbow.

And this would be an arrow.

istockphoto_339422_arrow.jpg

Looks exactly what I fire out of my crossbow.

2. There was a time, not so long ago when people had no steel/carbon allyos. But they had and used Crossbows.

So what where they made of if not wood?

4. A modern "Crossbow" can for sure penetrate a human skull, depending on the force, range and where it impacted the skull. Matter of Fact they are designed to penetrate armor not even speaking of bones.

But like you said, you shoot bows, not crossbows.

You seem to not understand the difference between historical crossbow and modern compound crossbows. The bolts are made of that material to increase range and precision.

Maybe you have seen some movie with ninjas and hand crossbows... Crossbows are slightly more powerful compared to a compound bow, but not that much: you can read here http://www.huntersfriend.com/products/archery/crossbows/performance.html to learn. I buy my bows from that shop and they have plenty of educational material.

To kill an animal, you aim to the heart, there is no other way (look for ethical shot). The head? You have played dayz too much...

Last: I shoot compound bows, they work the same as compound crossbows.

_Anubis_

• Like 2

The whole "zombies moving towards players over time" thing is fucked. I sneaked inside a house and saw someone moving up in the hills, so I got my binoculars and tried to find out where was. I had to stay quiet and invisible.

I was making no noise, not moving and in crouch position when a fucking zombie strolls inside there, like he knew where I was. He attacked me while I was busy getting my hatchet out for one annoying zombie kill. Now everything turned okay, since the guy didn't see the zombie, but still.. No super-sense zombies, please.

As of this update I find the zombies are now broken, Several instances where I have not been moving at all and no zombies anyway near me and then they suddenly aggro on me from a far. Every single time I've had 0 Eye and 0 Ear meters.

• Like 1

You seem to not understand the difference between historical crossbow and modern compound crossbows. The bolts are made of that material to increase range and precision.

Maybe you have seen some movie with ninjas and hand crossbows... Crossbows are slightly more powerful compared to a compound bow, but not that much: you can read here http://www.huntersfr...erformance.html to learn. I buy my bows from that shop and they have plenty of educational material.

To kill an animal, you aim to the heart, there is no other way (look for ethical shot). The head? You have played dayz too much...

Last: I shoot compound bows, they work the same as compound crossbows.

_Anubis_

Since this was a discussion about using the crossbow in DayZ, the notion of the "ethical shot" goes out the window. However, more to the point - even the store to which you link, while mainly calling them "bolts" refers to them also as "arrows". And, as I said, people still make bolts out of wood - even for compound crossbows; so, we can dispense with the argument about bolts never being made of wood.

In DayZ, I just don't see how the crossbow is OP enough to warrant a 20% breakage - considering it is still complicated to retrieve a bolt, they still have a very good chance of being absorbed and if you miss, there's a very high chance the bolt is gone. A wooden bolt capable of being fired from a compound crossbow wouldn't break upon hitting a person, but it would break if you missed and it hit something else - a wall, a rock... whatever and considering that missed bolts disappear 9 out of 10 times, there doesn't seem to be a need for breakage. My opinion is that if the absorption issue were fixed, maybe a small chance of breakage could occur when firing a bolt - having it break or split when it's fired... meaning it wouldn't hit the target.

• Like 1

So, when is a new update coming?

Or is the kitchen still pissed because the guests didn't like the cook's dishes?

So, when is a new update coming?

Or is the kitchen still pissed because the guests didn't like the cook's dishes?

As soon as we can everyone just now is busy with PAX and interviews and such. The patch is ready to go where doing some final tweaks to AI and loot tables to make Ai more aggressive but less one shot bleed every time. We trying to remove as much of the randomness as we can from hearing and sound and attacks.

* [uPDATED] - Zed attacks updated to make them less random. (ie first hit from full hp will no longer put you unconscious)

* [uPDATED] - Zeds overall dmg has been updated per hit/per zed (Max possible dmg if headshot = 1700 blood, Max body dmg = 700 blood)

* [uPDATED] - Bleed from zed attacks will now only happen if the initial dmg is above 0.8 or the zed gives a head shot. (should reduce the amount of bandages needed each time your hit)

Just as an example

• Like 2

That was unnecessary.

can someone help me i dont kno what to do i brought 2nda hand game 2 cd box and it has a bad cd key and its disabled do i have to buy a new one or what??

Since this was a discussion about using the crossbow in DayZ, the notion of the "ethical shot" goes out the window. However, more to the point...

You missed the point :)

The other guy was stating that crossbows are deadly and could do headshots (maybe in some ninja movies yes...).

The link explains that the KE of a compound crossbow is slightly higher compared to compound but it is still very low compared to a rifle (depending on the caliber of course). You can't kill an animal (or a human) with an headshot in RL. *That* is the reason for the ethical shot.

Before you start saying that animals have different sizes and skull morphology, I can tell you I have sadly seen pictures of animals shot with arrows/bolts in their skull, still alive of course. In some cases (a cat I remember - I would gladly kill the asshole who did that) vets were able to save them.

I have even seen a picture of an hunter hit in the back of his head at point-blank range by mistake. There was skull penetration but no brain damage and he survived without problems.

About bolts made of wood: the link you provided is about a poor guy thinking to DIY arrows hoping they would not splinter (he even wrote it!) and it is the first link of google (hint: look better).

Sorry, no shop sells wood shafts for high-power compound crossbows (historical crossbows yes, as I explained).

_Anubis_

As soon as we can everyone just now is busy with PAX and interviews and such. The patch is ready to go where doing some final tweaks to AI and loot tables to make Ai more aggressive but less one shot bleed every time. We trying to remove as much of the randomness as we can from hearing and sound and attacks.

* [uPDATED] - Zed attacks updated to make them less random. (ie first hit from full hp will no longer put you unconscious)

* [uPDATED] - Zeds overall dmg has been updated per hit/per zed (Max possible dmg if headshot = 1700 blood, Max body dmg = 700 blood)

* [uPDATED] - Bleed from zed attacks will now only happen if the initial dmg is above 0.8 or the zed gives a head shot. (should reduce the amount of bandages needed each time your hit)

Just as an example

thx for the update!

i personally just think that removing randomness is maybe a wrong approach, as randomness is the key!

maybe just lower the chances for first-hit-unconsciousness, lower the hit points etc. but KEEP IT RANDOM.

the worst thing to happen for a game like dayz is that one can PREDICT stuff.

so if you don't know if the first zombie hit could down you, you are more afraid of them and seek more distance.

You missed the point :)

The other guy was stating that crossbows are deadly and could do headshots (maybe in some ninja movies yes...).

The link explains that the KE of a compound crossbow is slightly higher compared to compound but it is still very low compared to a rifle (depending on the caliber of course). You can't kill an animal (or a human) with an headshot in RL. *That* is the reason for the ethical shot.

Before you start saying that animals have different sizes and skull morphology, I can tell you I have sadly seen pictures of animals shot with arrows/bolts in their skull, still alive of course. In some cases (a cat I remember - I would gladly kill the asshole who did that) vets were able to save them.

I have even seen a picture of an hunter hit in the back of his head at point-blank range by mistake. There was skull penetration but no brain damage and he survived without problems.

About bolts made of wood: the link you provided is about a poor guy thinking to DIY arrows hoping they would not splinter (he even wrote it!) and it is the first link of google (hint: look better).

Sorry, no shop sells wood shafts for high-power compound crossbows (historical crossbows yes, as I explained).

_Anubis_

My ole 75lb eastern eagle can smash a broad head through a goat skull just fine(@ 30yards... IRL with a broad head, with a bodkin, piss easy).... i wouldnt bank on it with say a buffalo/ cow, nor will some rifles... but human, hell yes it would, the chance o deflection is increased, it could glance/ graze, but hit square, they will smash through a skull no problems at all.

Yes, you can make bolts/quarrels/ or arrows or what ever you want to call em outta wood.. they need to be thicker than alloy, and thus heavier (ive heard o carbon fibre arrows smashing on release with an 80lb bow, so F that, id only use em on a lil target bow) remember, its mass times velocity squared, my bow set at 55lbs will throw a lighter arrow just as fast, as when at 75lbs, but it can throw a heavier arrow at the same speed with more energy... they dont compare to high powered rifle o course. But they sure as hell have the kinetic energy to penetrate skulls, im not guessing.

Edited in, you shoot for the shoulder when hunting, with rifle or bow, because it is a huge target, youve got the heart and lungs, lots o major blood vessels, and the shoulder blade will be smased also, meaning it aint going far, the brain can be harder to find than yah think with head shots, but if yah shooting an animal from behind, with a bow, back o the neck at base o skull is ideal(with a rifle, yah can just send a round from its back side out its brisket, but the ball joint is still the best shot to take in my eyes)... and an arrow will punch right through from there.

Edited by KingOchaos

thx for the update!

i personally just think that removing randomness is maybe a wrong approach, as randomness is the key!

maybe just lower the chances for first-hit-unconsciousness, lower the hit points etc. but KEEP IT RANDOM.

the worst thing to happen for a game like dayz is that one can PREDICT stuff.

so if you don't know if the first zombie hit could down you, you are more afraid of them and seek more distance.

We said less randomness not removed :-)

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103845-rolling-changelog-for-community-builds/#entry1255653

* [NEW] - Zeds can now push players to the ground when attacked from behind.

Ahaha! Feature we had for months, then a member of your team (not going to name) pays our server a visit, and what do you know...

Explain yourself.

Just as an example

Lol R4Z0r you guys just keep dumbing down zombies, what a shame.

Lol R4Z0r you guys just keep dumbing down zombies, what a shame.

Let me know once you have tried the new system :-)

I don't know what you want me to explain.

When you have proof of any wrong doing shout ill look into it.

When you have proof of any wrong doing shout ill look into it.

I cannot see the code because you keep it private, and now I know why. I bet you anything this guy used the same animation by the sound of it.