Grumpy (DayZ)

Please don't put defecating in the standalone

I agree that how it is used and what can be seen on the ground matters a lot. Not from a prudish standpoint, though, but from a 'I really don't think 100's of piles of shit laying around Elektro add anything but stupidity to the game'.

If it involuntarily forces you to crap your pants, I can only hope people start KOS anyone with that skin, like they would a bandit skin.

I look at it this way:

You don't leave DayZ running 24/7. Nor does your character sleep. So while you are offline, it can be safely assumed that your character has magically found a place to safely sleep. Someone who is crouched or prone in hiding and AFK in the bathroom can be considered to be relieving themselves in-game because they are just as vulnerable as if they were really and truly caught with their pants down.

If we aren't going to urinate, there is no reason to defecate. And the very last thing any game needs is the ability to show another player your digital penis.

As much as I would absolutely cherish the ability to knock an opponent unconscious and piss all over them, zip up, and leave them to wake up having probably observed me helplessly defiling them, I want to do that in a different game.

This is just not the game for intimate bodily functions.

• Like 1

This is just not the game for intimate bodily functions.

I disagree, I think it is exactly the game to pull it off in a meaningful way.

Believe it or not, there are people out there who do not behave like 12 year olds. It's all about finding the right server.

With the largely expanded disease mechanics in the standalone it's a necessity to have a way for diseases to spread, defecation is a good and authentic approach to this in my opinion.

Just try to see past the 'omg-poo!' part, and take it for what it is. A normal bodily function, the management of which is of extreme importance to any society on the planet. Big and small, apocalyptic or not.

Have you seen a city with no sewer system? Not pretty.

• Like 2

the dedicated troll/griefer player, who will proceed to get himself any and every weapon available and then proceed to blow the heads off any player that moves all over highly-populated areas in order to deliberately murder and kill as many others as possible.

Because mindless horrific violence is so much more acceptable than bodily functions .

I think if it is relevant to your survival in extreme conditions , then it should be a consideration as part of this game , which is all about survival of extreme conditions .

There's a difference, though - as far is immersion is concerned, a player who roams the streets of Cherno laying waste to all comers with a FAL is a lone madman driven insane by the end of civilization, or simply a bandit who's snapped - whatever flavour you want to put on it. It's still more or less justifiable in-universe.

Now, unless immediately prior to the outbreak Cherno was visited by a travelling band of unusually well-fed and nervous elephants, I can't really see an in-universe reason why damn near every available surface in a city-wide area would be covered with butt-dumplings.

I'm not suggesting one is more offensive or 'worse' than the other, but the fact is, for a game like DayZ to really work as well as it can, there needs to be a certain amount of willing suspension of disbelief, and for me, most people are willing to overlook a lone gunman far more than they are a city full of crap.

• Like 1

I really doubt shitting in DayZ SA will cause as much BS from the media as 'Blood on the Screen' in COD did. Besides it's a normal bodily function. In fact it's really not that different than exhaling.

• Like 1

Now, unless immediately prior to the outbreak Cherno was visited by a travelling band of unusually well-fed and nervous elephants, I can't really see an in-universe reason why damn near every available surface in a city-wide area would be covered with butt-dumplings.

I don't know where people got the idea that players will be able to produce unlimited amounts of shit and that said shit will stay indefinitely.

Given Rocket's wish to keep things authentic, we will probably only be able to shit every so often, and the shit will get deleted from the server eventually.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 2

I can only see it working if there is some kind of reason not to poop everywhere. Of course, there will likely be some kind of poop meter, and you can only do your business when it is ready to go. Perhaps this could be every 2-3 hours to stop excessive poo griefing; TBH they need to do some kind of re-jig anyway with the food meters and whatnot. If it fit to the time frame of how long you had to wait between eating, then it would make more sense.

If you think about it, a 'regular' person goes perhaps once every 24 hours or thereabouts. If the day/night cycle was shortened to 4 hours each way, then you'd only need to shit once every 8 hours. Maybe that's a bit too sparse, so let's say once every 4 hours.

On a 50-player server, with everyone in Chernogorsk, and restarts every 8 hours, you have a maximum of 100 craps spread around the city at any one time, unless they are not planning to remove them upon restart. Not everyone's going to be in Cherno, though, so let's say maybe 30 craps in Cherno, 20 in Elektro, 15 in Stary and 10 at the NWAF, with 25 spread around the forests and such, and that's on a full server. Added to the facts that many of the loot-spawning mechanics are being redone, loot tables will become virtually non-existent and that a much higher number of buildings will be enterable, I reckon that it will have much less of an effect than people think.

Apart from the 12-year-olds and the griefers, however, I think many people will get over the initial 'I can shit in game! Let's shit on everything HUEHUEHUE' very quickly. Maybe zeds could be attracted to the smell, and it could be a reasonably long process (say 20-30 seconds of inaction). In a place like Cherno, taking a crap could be very dangerous.

Edited by Ingasmeeg
  • Like 4

I hope they add this. I'd like to take a massive shit on someone's campsite and vehicles as a going away gift.

Hello there

As long as the mechanic is carried out well then I do not see an issue with this.

"won't somebody think of the children?" surely exposing them to human functions will destroy their fragile brains!?

I think society will cope just fine. I think we as gamers will cope just fine.

I'm amazed this has caused so much division.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Fort he record this wouldn't be the first game to feature pooping. the following game even involves eating poop, and the fact that I played it as a kid has made me more mature when it comes to reacting to game content, I think.

Edited by TheSodesa

A. the hyperactive kiddies who think poop is hilarious and that spreading it over everything and throwing it isn't something that should be left to chimpanzees and

B. the dedicated troll/griefer player, who will proceed to get himself infected with everything from the common cold to galloping knob-rot and then proceed to crap/vomit/ooze all over highly-populated areas in order to deliberately infect as many others as possible.

You have convinced me. It's hilarious. Add it to SA.

What a funny coincidence that toilet paper has just been added to DayZ.

Hello there

re: Griefers

They'll grief with whatever is easy and at hand. Don't limit our game experience to combat them.

If I'm being griefed with poo or a makarov, it makes no difference, I'm still being griefed.

Also, do remember these are just point of light. It isn't real poo.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

You have convinced me. It's hilarious. Add it to SA.

What a funny coincidence that toilet paper has just been added to DayZ.

Pros don't use paper. Instead we do the Asian squat rinse.

You guys are serious?? Well, first of all I really didn't see it coming in the first place (shitting simulator) - OP could you link e to the article confirming it?

And second does it add to the glorious realism? yes it does but but shaking your dick after you drink too much is also realistic but it's not something I really strive for in the SA...jeesus

You guys are serious?? Well, first of all I really didn't see it coming in the first place (shitting simulator) - OP could you link e to the article confirming it?

And second does it add to the glorious realism? yes it does but but shaking your dick after you drink too much is also realistic but it's not something I really strive for in the SA...jeesus

Hello there

This is exactly the reason why there is this divide. Folk are just hearing about the mechanic and assuming. Use that search tool folks!

Read up on what's actually being planned.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

re: Griefers

They'll grief with whatever is easy and at hand. Don't limit our game experience to combat them.

If I'm being griefed with poo or a makarov, it makes no difference, I'm still being griefed.

Also, do remember these are just point of light. It isn't real poo.

Rgds

LoK

I see your point, but to me, I don't see why we need to poop to increase the feel of realism. I can honestly say that in my near-25 years of gaming, never once has the thought occurred to me that 'you know what this game is missing? Bowel movements'.

There are a lot of things that would make the game more realistic - the need to rest occasionally after running/walking for ten days non-stop, for example, but there are certain things that are considered acceptable breaks from reality.

I get that there are good intentions behind the mechanic, and that it's not just been thrown in for shits and giggles (pardon the pun!), but I don't see why we need to give problem players a free tool to upset people. It doesn't matter that it's just pixels on a screen, it's the intent that is key - an example is 'teabagging' - it's generally considered a disrespectful thing to do in gaming, and is reserved for instances when someone is specifically looking to extract a negative emotional response from someone for whatever reason. Both parties know that it's just pixels clumsily giving the appearance of placing one's scrotum on the forehead of a downed player, but that's not the point - it's the intent behind the action which is key here.

As much as I'm loathe to admit it, we live in an age where morons have easy access to public games and the ability to remain anonymous while doing so. For as long as that's the case we will have to tread the line between giving legitimate players as many features as possible and preventing future experimental lobotmy candidates from abusing said features.

I'm just not convinced that the benefits of including defecation outweigh the potential grief it would cause.

• Like 2

I agree with OP, pooping has no place in this game at all. It's a terrible, stupid, extremely juvenile idea. On top of that, it's a complete waste of developer time. There's a million different ideas for engaging and cool gameplay aspects that could be added to DayZ, and any time spent programming some ridiculous pooping mechanic would demonstrate a complete lack of priorities on the part of the devs. Seriously, maybe we should add a fingernail clipping minigame, too, or maybe every so often your character would get an itch somewhere on his body and you have to stop and press the right key to scratch it. Every player should have a remote random chance to get cancer, too, 'cause that would be totally real and awesome. F'ck spending time coding better base building, or more vehicle customization options, or better zombie AI, or an expanded crafting system, or more weather options, or more elaborate PvE locations, or better player customization, etc... What this game really needs is a f'ucking pooping mechanic, plus all the other boring minutia we can think of, 'cause that's what gamers are hungry for, right? I mean, I don't know about you guys, but whenever the topic of a zombie apocalypse comes up, pooping, and the strategy behind it, are the first things on my mind... thoughts about how you would get food, water, shelter, defense, and all that other jazz is just secondary to making sure you've got a good shit-taking plan in place.

What if..

...pooping animations just have one purpose: They are an indicator for a disease (e.g. cholera). Meaning you don't have to. It is just a feature of the new disease-system! Well that sounds reasonable to me.

(bear with me if it was mentioned before.)

There's a million different ideas for engaging and cool gameplay aspects that could be added to DayZ, and any time spent programming some ridiculous pooping mechanic would demonstrate a complete lack of priorities on the part of the devs.

Making it sound like that's a new discovery...

really sad to see that so many people simply don't understand what this game is about.....this game simulates the total collapse of the modern world as we know it....being back in the middle ages or even worse...infections caused by people wet pooing at the next waterhole would for sure kill more peope (as it does in RL) than any wannabe bad ass shoot out would do...

beside this I would advise you to simply check the wiki pages about Cholera, Typhoid, Hepatitis and Shigellosis....deseases that will be in the SA

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 1

Are perventative/counter measures to disease spread in this way being planned?

It would be a neat idea but the benefits are really overshadowed by the cons. Griefing, bad publicity, time and effort it takes to implement... not really worth the realism it adds. Vomiting and stomach ache can still be implemented without diarrhea. Vomiting and other disease sympthoms would not result in juvenile shenanigans like uncontrollable bowel movement would

• Like 1

I see your point, but to me, I don't see why we need to poop to increase the feel of realism. I can honestly say that in my near-25 years of gaming, never once has the thought occurred to me that 'you know what this game is missing? Bowel movements'.

There are a lot of things that would make the game more realistic - the need to rest occasionally after running/walking for ten days non-stop, for example, but there are certain things that are considered acceptable breaks from reality.

I get that there are good intentions behind the mechanic, and that it's not just been thrown in for shits and giggles (pardon the pun!), but I don't see why we need to give problem players a free tool to upset people. It doesn't matter that it's just pixels on a screen, it's the intent that is key - an example is 'teabagging' - it's generally considered a disrespectful thing to do in gaming, and is reserved for instances when someone is specifically looking to extract a negative emotional response from someone for whatever reason. Both parties know that it's just pixels clumsily giving the appearance of placing one's scrotum on the forehead of a downed player, but that's not the point - it's the intent behind the action which is key here.

As much as I'm loathe to admit it, we live in an age where morons have easy access to public games and the ability to remain anonymous while doing so. For as long as that's the case we will have to tread the line between giving legitimate players as many features as possible and preventing future experimental lobotmy candidates from abusing said features.

I'm just not convinced that the benefits of including defecation outweigh the potential grief it would cause.

Hello there

In many ways i completely agree with you. But as this is a survival sim also incorporating diseases, waste is a known vector for transmitting them.

It's the handling of waste and the issues it presents which are apparently going in game.

Remember early Britons used poo for many many uses.

Infecting water sources etc is an important and interesting game dynamic.

Wiki "Merril's Marauders" (ww2) to see what can happen to a fighting force drinking sullied water.

Rgds

LoK

Are perventative/counter measures to disease spread in this way being planned?

Yes, you'll have to think about where you crap if you are in a camp for example.

Same thing in real life. Agreeing on where to empty your bowels form the very basis of human society, it simply cannot function without this.

Maybe I'm biased due to being a health professional, but I had no idea that defecation was this much of a taboo.

Methinks someone were not allowed to look in the potty when they were wee.

You could say that teh OP thinks it's a "shit" idea.....

That pun was pushed out.

• Like 1