Sign in to follow this  
kasigawa

How about some legitimate DayZ jump scares?

I have an interesting idea, after watching the DayZ dev blog working on their motion capture, I had an idea on how a zombie should have the ability to sneak up barely noticeable to the player (crawling on the ground or casually walking) where the player barely notices he or she is being followed. It makes sense if the player does not check his or her surroundings, especially in the woods (where they assume zombies would never venture out very far from the city) they could be vulnerable to a silent encounter.

I mean what is more scary then camping in a certain spot and suddenly having a crawler slowly crawl up behind you and start trying to bite or attack you with very little warning. Or better yet, have an animation of the zombie pulling the player down to his face level and trying to bite the player from an extreme close up perspective. Almost like a real time cinematic moment.

I think this would introduce a realistic and terrifying feature to the game if the player is too careless, makes too much noise, or if he or she thinks by staying away from urban locations that they are safe. Nevertheless, in a zombie Apocalypse there is no such thing as being truly safe, only a safe state a mind.

i also want to add that this idea was also reinforced from one of the episodes of The Walking Dead (season 3) where they parked a car on the side of the road while ignoring a silent and slow moving zombie walking in the background. ...Or if you want, the zombie in one of the beginning episodes in which was crawling on the ground with her hand reaching out. I'd sh*t myself if something like that came up to me unnoticed (obviously from being careless of course).

Edited by kasigawa
  • Like 4

As fucking awesome as that'd be, I think just making a fuckton of zeds that will just horde you if you fuck up is terrifying enough. If the game was actually really challenging, we'd have enough to worry about and there'd be no more "scare" suggestions.

• Like 2

That's why I like playing at night Scary.

I think this is a great idea though I love getting scared by things that jump out at you.

I think an event would be kind of cool, not exactly like a QTE, but a little like it. Say you're walking, and suddenly, you stop, or trip. You have a couple of seconds to turn around and kill the crawler zombie with your current weapon before he takes a chunk out of your leg and gives you a limp and an infection. Other than that, I think a zombie just steadily making its way towards you out of a dark alley would be scary enough.

Wasn't there talk of a zombie type that behaves more like the classic "slow" zombies of the George Romero movies? One that moves slowly once aggroed but will follow you forever. Not noticing him would be an interesting situation, you're deep in the woods minding your own business when he decides to take a chunk out of your arm.

slender ffs

STOP BRINGING THIS GUY UP EVERYWHERE. Slender isn't scary because he relies on a gimmick.

Jump scares are never scary unless done right. You ever have a immature person pretend he is going to punch you and stop before impact and say "lulz made you blink" yes we all hate those people but they are idiots. You pop something into someones face all of a sudden you are triggering a reflex in the back of their brain that says "oh wtf that thing just popped up all of a sudden, back away". A real scare is when you go to bed and have trouble sleeping. A good scare is something when you get creeped out but then keep thinking about it after its over.

If anyone has played the scary maze game they will know what I am talking about.

The music makes me jump. I'm just walking along and then.... DUN! And I'm like WOAH HOLY SHIT!!! DON"T HURT ME DON"T HURT ME!! FRIENDLY!- oh, damn.

All of it sounds good but the "cinematic" moment thing will never be because rocket doesn't want to put any scripted things in the game like a zombie tackling you and you hitting some keys to get away.

I have an interesting idea, after watching the DayZ dev blog working on their motion capture, I had an idea on how a zombie should have the ability to sneak up barely noticeable to the player (crawling on the ground or casually walking) where the player barely notices he or she is being followed. It makes sense if the player does not check his or her surroundings, especially in the woods (where they assume zombies would never venture out very far from the city) they could be vulnerable to a silent encounter.

I mean what is more scary then camping in a certain spot and suddenly having a crawler slowly crawl up behind you and start trying to bite or attack you with very little warning. Or better yet, have an animation of the zombie pulling the player down to his face level and trying to bite the player from an extreme close up perspective. Almost like a real time cinematic moment.

I think this would introduce a realistic and terrifying feature to the game if the player is too careless, makes too much noise, or if he or she thinks by staying away from urban locations that they are safe. Nevertheless, in a zombie Apocalypse there is no such thing as being truly safe, only a safe state a mind.

i also want to add that this idea was also reinforced from one of the episodes of The Walking Dead (season 3) where they parked a car on the side of the road while ignoring a silent and slow moving zombie walking in the background. ...Or if you want, the zombie in one of the beginning episodes in which was crawling on the ground with her hand reaching out. I'd sh*t myself if something like that came up to me unnoticed (obviously from being careless of course).

yeah I'll be too busy shooting other bandits to notice tons of zombies moaning and walking up to us while Im trying to Dodge a bullet to the head

Never happens. Nothing is scary in day-z

he's right. I would be totally scared if zombies are running around while I'm in a frickin' helicopter chasing a Guy in a tractor

he's right. I would be totally scared if zombies are running around while I'm in a frickin' helicopter chasing a Guy in a tractor

true story though. A troll kept singing his ABC's so I went after him

I practically piss myself everytime I walk through an un-noticed swamp and all of a sudden hear loud water sounds.

STOP BRINGING THIS GUY UP EVERYWHERE. Slender isn't scary because he relies on a gimmick.

Jump scares are never scary unless done right. You ever have a immature person pretend he is going to punch you and stop before impact and say "lulz made you blink" yes we all hate those people but they are idiots. You pop something into someones face all of a sudden you are triggering a reflex in the back of their brain that says "oh wtf that thing just popped up all of a sudden, back away". A real scare is when you go to bed and have trouble sleeping. A good scare is something when you get creeped out but then keep thinking about it after its over.

If anyone has played the scary maze game they will know what I am talking about.

You took that SERIOUSLY?

lol made you blink over the interwebz

Wasn't there talk of a zombie type that behaves more like the classic "slow" zombies of the George Romero movies? One that moves slowly once aggroed but will follow you forever. Not noticing him would be an interesting situation, you're deep in the woods minding your own business when he decides to take a chunk out of your arm.

Deep in the woods takin' a shit then a zombie bites yo ass flaps.....deep in the woods smokin pot when a zombie snorts it outta ya hand.

This reminds me of a similar idea I had where sometimes an infected will not make any noise at all.. maybe he was a deaf dumb mute before all this happened..? 

But the point is the chance of a zombie attacking that made no sound other than perhaps footsteps.. just another small good enough idea i think

Jump scares are the cheapest way to scare someone, there is absolutely zero work involved. It's just exploiting a fight or flight reflex, not actually playing with your victim's mind.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Well, zombies aren't interested in the expense of their scare- So I could understand if some zeds were a little more 'unnoticeable' which could lead to them sneaking up on you... perhaps a little less than 28 days later zeds but crawling ones etc like the orig post said.  Seems a good idea... but like all things- difficult to code.  Currently, the devs are making zed models very uniform and ... probably for a lack of a better word 'un-unique', as to free up resources.  That would probably take up too much resources to have different animations, models, etc.  Still, a good idea nonetheless.  DayZ3 will be a great game. So long as the SA doesn't flop. haha.

>Jump scares aren't scary

>Maze game is scary

I can't even wut