joe_mcentire

give us what we (do not) need! - junk and unique loot

I want those little packets that you throw out the ground and they pop and explode. I want to distract people with them and run through the streets.

• CD's, cassettes, DVD's.

• can be found occasionally
  • can be used to broadcast music/info from radio stations?
  • could contain background info to the outbrake or other mysteries (maybe investigated by local police forces)
  • well could CD's/DVD's reflect light??

throwable CD's/DVD's would be awesome! shawn of the dead anyone?

i thought to reactivate this thread for the "newer" ppl in here and to help create many nice items for the future

trying to come up with few ideas..

Edited by joe_mcentire

• bones - of diseased mammals or humans. adds a creepy layer and more atmosphere to the world; could be used to create weapons such as shivs, spears, arrows...
  • balls - footballs, tennis, volleyballs, - use to distract or even just for fun
  • gas cartridges
  • tooth picks, needles - blowguns anyone ;)
  • bicycle pumps - for almost anything to inflate

Edited by joe_mcentire

two sticks+plastic film = suffocation method (sneaky and stealthily from behind ofc)

Hello there

I skipped a few posts because of the pointless glass/reflective thing. I may clean the thread later. Pedants :)

Sting/rope/thread wire - useless or a million and one uses.

Gardening tools - from hoes (comedic value) to hedge trimmers (cqb)

A Towel - a million and one uses, never be without one.

Shopping trolley - motorise for a death chariot or useful for lugging around even more junk. - cannot be taken in buildings - do you dare leave all your empty bean cans outside?

Rgds

LoK

some loot, that could be used later in the game for more than just aesthetic purposes:

• cigarettes, also possibly used for transaction purposes --> leaves later possibility for decreased appetite due to nicotine ergo food-bar decreases more slowly; also chances for addiction and withdrawal effects
  • fertilizers (russia is one of greatest producers) at farms --> leaves later possibility for self-crafted explosives; farming?
  • polaroid camera --> leaves later possibility for instantly taking and placing pictures ingame, use with batteries and film
  • empty bullet casings --> leaves later possibility to create bullets yourself; along of course with some other ingredients eg. gunpowder..
  • duct tape --> watch myth busters
  • crutches --> leaves later possibility to walk upright and faster when legs are broken
  • brooms/broomsticks --> leaves later possibility to use as splint for broken limbs (along with duct tape)
  • med. braces --> obvious

edit #1:

• at least some old destroyed/ruined books (Marx, Engels, Lenin, Trotsky, and of course former soviet/russian literature) --> maybe in a future release books would have an "exploding"-animation when shot
  • pencils (durable, but written text in a possibly impl. note-system eventually will fade) and pens/ ball pens (not durable, but text won't fade)
  • mugs, pots, cups, glasses, plates --> well these just as props

This post reminded me an awful lot to Fallout just based on the specific items and mechanics.

This post reminded me an awful lot to Fallout just based on the specific items and mechanics.

i guess you have many ideas then...well yeah they were inspired by fallout series, but i tried to take the things that could fit and would be almost useable in dayz' world

• coins! - imagine later purposes like: shopping carts, coin operated spyglasses, vending machines, public toilets... ;)
  • loose bricks or cobbles - quick melee weapons against zeds; to distract, to hit windshields
  • perfume bottles/ room scents - smash a bottle of "Sex Panther" against a wall to distract zeds, use a febreze with a cable tie
  • salt and pepper pots - other shakers for herbs
  • hunting trophies - creepy as hell in cabins in the middle of nowhere; could scare the shit out of you at night
  • CONTAINERS - briefcases, lockboxes, safes, cardboards...

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

- I would really like to see old busted up diaries of different peoples perspective of the outbreak while it was going on. (ex. kid, ex-militant, farmer, psycho) You know, something that really shows the destruction of humanity and the falling off into insanity.

- Old sports trophies that kids get.

- Birthday Cards (Any letter would work work too.)

• Like 1

so i read the other day about faking death in dayz, so I thought about: fake-guns!

realistic looking toy guns, or carved wooden pistols

Edited by joe_mcentire

AFAWK there will be loads of new items and loot in the game. However i really would like to know how many junk-items will be ingame. there was not one piece of "trash" so far. everything had a (even alienated) purpose.

Edited by joe_mcentire

*ahem*

Glass cannot reflect light, as light passes through instead of bouncing off of it. How else do you see sun rays through windows? This one can and will not work, seeing as it is basically impossible for glass to reflect light.

When capitalising make sure you are right...

Hmm what is usless that we can add? Garden gnomes and other ornamental shit. Collect it and make a base...woot,woot.

And animals heads and or antlers!

Edited by Trizzo

I like these ideas and why not.. A game like this has to thrive on atmosphere and surroundings while they put more shit in the game to actually do.. anyway i was thinking it would be cool to have some areas over run with useless objects and mess on the ground, not everywhere just some places to make you have to spend that bit more time looking and not placing value on every single item.

The Interior(s) of buildings houses/factories and you sift through the mess to find usefull objects... now i can see how some may think its a bad idea have lots of useless stuff but as long as it didnt affect the gameplay/lag to much It would be fine

This all seems pretty awesome, If explored it would highly improve the crafting system, there's so many things of those you said that could be combined , and these random loot all around the place would make the scavenging harder and would add a great immersion to the game.

btw, the only thing i kept thinking about the mirror is this : http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/almost-invisible-mirrored-tree-house-built-in-sweden.html .

I like the ideas in the OP but there should also be more useless 'trash loot' like empty whiskey bottles and toilet rolls. It makes the world and your search for supplies feel more real when you're rummaging through useless crap to find what you're looking for.

I like the ideas in the OP but there should also be more useless 'trash loot' like empty whiskey bottles and toilet rolls. It makes the world and your search for supplies feel more real when you're rummaging through useless crap to find what you're looking for.

i agree... what i really love with this new spawn system dean wants to go with: you could literally spawn in THE LAST vac-packed cat-shit coffee or a Sovereign bootle (25l!) of crimean sparkling wine.

Edited by joe_mcentire

• guy fawkes mask
  • leatherface mask
  • hockey mask
  • stapler
  • fans (usb,mid-,max.sized)
  • old computer
  • sterile disposable scalpel
  • cane with compass and a glass flask integrated
  • flint
  • rotten food/vegies/meat
  • larvas

Edited by joe_mcentire

what if we could get some pictures of new loot...just sayin'...:D ;)