joe_mcentire

give us what we (do not) need! - junk and unique loot

i would like to see some loot that gives the average or new player the perception that they can have a purpose. I like the Fallout idea where you have this junk and you always get angry about finding all that useless stuff until you find out, that you can build a weapon with it or eventually use it in a quest. But also the ultimate certainty that they were useless all along..

And when I say "quest" maybe you'll find that interesting: http://dayzmod.com/f...ng-new-content/

My topic about "already built-in objects" that can be interacted with so to set free the urge to create a small/long-term goal. Just check it out, these two threads fit perfectly together.

Edited by joe_mcentire

• portable ladders --> "unlocks" new areas, such as attics, or rooms of collapsed buldings etc..
  • ropes --> "multi-craft" items
  • blankets --> possibly useable to stabilize a very low body-temperature; dark blankets can be used to (poorly) disguise
  • brushes of any sorts and soap --> how about hygiene; higher chance to get rid of all bacteria/viruses from clothes and equipment

• Like 1

Maybe you can use the CD's, cassetes to broadcast messages & music from radio stations (eg. Green Mountain). Imagine being chased by zombies and hear some old rock music from a radio in the house, or an old military radio message from a radio you just found in a house. Would add a lot to the immersion.

Plastic wrap/tarp (the industrial stuff):

- Can be used as a makeshift poncho

- Can be used for simple storage. Wrap up items, then buried them.

- Makeshift "window" on vehcles.

Plastic bags/ bin bags

- Can have simular uses as the "industrial" plastic, but less effective.

- Can be used like a backpack

some loot, that could be used later in the game for more than just aesthetic purposes:

• cigarettes, also possibly used for transaction purposes --> leaves later possibility for decreased appetite due to nicotine ergo food-bar decreases more slowly; also chances for addiction and withdrawal effects
  • fertilizers (russia is one of greatest producers) at farms --> leaves later possibility for self-crafted explosives; farming?
  • polaroid camera --> leaves later possibility for instantly taking and placing pictures ingame, use with batteries and film
  • empty bullet casings --> leaves later possibility to create bullets yourself; along of course with some other ingridients eg. gunpowder..
  • duct tape --> watch myth busters
  • crutches --> leaves later possibility to walk upright and faster when legs are broken
  • brooms/broomsticks --> leaves later possibility to use as splint for broken limbs (along with duct tape)
  • med. braces --> obvious

edit #1:

• at least some old destroyed/ruined books (Marx, Engels, Lenin, Trotsky, and of course former soviet/russian literature) --> maybe in a future release books would have an "exploding"-animation when shot
  • pencils (durable, but written text in a possibly impl. note-system eventually will fade) and pens/ ball pens (not durable, but text won't fade)
  • mugs, pots, cups, glasses, plates --> well these just as props

cigarettes should mellow out the player increasing aiming stability and decrease fear levels (if implemented) but decrease running speed since its harder to breath and multiple uses if cigarettes will make these long term effects

keep 'em comin' guys!

some things that would add so much to the game:

14mxg5s.jpg

25pmfrn.jpg

30952tt.jpg

adrenaline shots-syringes of adrenaline that increase speed, accuracy and power

well tbh i think this has no place in dayz. too "arcadey"... i think of FarCry3 when i read such a suggestion

Add alcool for trading and maybe as a painkiller (im no expert about alcool)

of corse you have bad point like getting drunk

I would like to be able to write notes for other players/zombies to see. For example, I found a player's base with a heli. I would like to be able to write to him and say, "thanks for the heli, IOU"

I also thought of implementing keys to the game or something of that sort to be able to gain access to a vault that spawns randomly on the server. A player has to get 3 keys with a 1% chance of spawning to gain access to a randomly located vault that may or may not have been open by a player that got to the vault first. Just something to work towards instead of getting a hero skin or an AS50.

hej i was just recently thinking about that: suction lifters

2h6dh68.jpg

therefore you could use almost anything as shield...

Edited by joe_mcentire

keep 'em comin' guys!

some things that would add so much to the game:

14mxg5s.jpg

25pmfrn.jpg

30952tt.jpg

This is the thing I would like to see . Nearly same as in chernobyl . Also I would like to add some newspapers with Zombie outbreak headlines .

I would like to see, like what @Jakub-SK said, newspapers with 'ZOMBIE OUTBREAK' or TV's running a 10 sec video loop of some news footage saying 'This is a recorded message! Please head to the nearest city immediately! This is a recorded message! Please head to the nearest city immediately....'

Or notes like in The Last Stand: Union City, left by people saying like 'Dear X, I've gone out to get some supplies, stay inside....'.

Umbrellas

- right click: hit target

- left click: open/close umbrella

umbrellas...the gentlemen of melee weapons..

help this thread!!

Fraggle! you! i demand at least 3 suggestions and they better be good!

- cow bells: can be used as signals for whatever, or are just for traditional costumes..

- old WWII medals from nazis as well as from commies (only stylized ones)

- hobbyhorse: also useable as crutch or as melee weapon

- oil lamps/lanterns: well we have communities with outhouses...so i guess they would have also needed something like that ;) (Amnesia anyone?)

- mannequins: in shops, in warehouse maaybe..

could be used later when there would be electricity available at some point

- fuses (both for vehicles as well as for normal building el. circuits)

- light bulbs

- el. cords

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

ok..so one last time..

- PEZ-dispenser: everyone knows why!

- iron saws: maybe in garages or attics -> could be used against padlocks -degrade after several uses

- coffee beans: maybe later on to brew your own coffee ;)

- step-ladders: important for my idea of "unlocking" new content/areas; get access to otherwise non-accessible attics e.g.

- thermos bottles: brew tea (yes HERBS please) and keep it as source of warmth at your body, or to "fight" colds etc.

- tea bags: green, black, yellow, camomille, sage, fruit, peppermint, ginger...

loot to enhance the repair-system of vehicles or simply to add more variety

- acid

- brake fluid

- motor/gear oil

- (mentioned before) fuses

and now i'll leave it to that...can't come up with ideas all by my own without any help :(

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

When I saw that you have suggested mirrors, I thought about Saving Private Ryan scene on the Omaha Beach, when Capt. Miller (Tom Hanks) peek over the corner of a concrete pillbox to check the MG nest. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKByABo-ISk at 4:50)

I think could be useful for peeking around corner while scavenging cities, in 1st person. (in third person will lose the way to exist)

What do you think?

flare gun- good for signals and can burn a guy to a crisp

i really miss that thing in dayz. Also i would love to see a bulletproof vest. It would stop all pistol shots into body.

Q: Anything else people should be on the look out for especially in regards to upcoming blogs etc?

A: I think the biggest thing is crafting and that's what we are most excited about at the moment, one of our key programmers really loves the concept of crafting in games and some of the work he is doing is just amazing. We have already got it and what I will probably try and demo tomorrow is the initial basis of drag and drop crafting. So we didn't want it to feel like a real pushed version of crafting, it's very much you have to experiment with things, drag things on to other items and see what you can do. The idea is to make certain items interact with other items, so you might put duct tape onto your torch and then put that onto your weapon and that kind of stuff so it really encourages players to experiment with items they find - something you find that looks like junk you might actually be able to use later on, a new one now is making a splint from a bandage and two pieces of wood. We think it's not just exploring the world but also the items and their potential uses for them. These aren't things that are spelled out, you have to figure them out by seeing the interactions available when you drag and drop items.

Q: So there will definitely be a time when players just have their bags full of every piece of junk they find until they figure it out.

A: Yeh and we just have an explosion of content at the moment, we have found a couple of artist (many external) who are providing us with everything from new sneakers through to gas canisters and butane torches, hammers, everything. A lot of things will be used as weapons but they may also have other uses in terms of crafting.

hell yeah!

Edited by joe_mcentire