phamilton82

Is this smart?

Hey guys. I just finished building a computer that will hopefully run this game smoothly because I've been waiting for months!!! I'm new to PC gaming and the thought of using a keyboard and mouse to navigate scares the living crap outta me lol. I wanted to know if it was a good idea to hook up and use my Ps3 or Xbox controller instead. If I do am i at a disadvantage?? I'll consider buying a pc gaming controller if it isn't too expensive.

Also being a "bambi" are there any tips you guys can give me to start off ? Im a straight up gamer and very loyal.

Thanks guys

There aren't enough buttons on those controllers to effectively map all of ArmA's controls. Just stick to keyboard/mouse combo for now, it's not that hard.

My only tip would be to trust NOONE, and join a private hive unless you want to only die because of invisible and silent hackers the whole time.

• Like 2

Find some friends to play with, you will enjoy squad play more than being alone all the time. Once you get used to the keyboard/mouse setup it's easy.

I use one of these too:

OjxNOSUs.jpg

• Like 1

Trying to use a controller to play this game would not be worth the trouble of getting it configured. Of course thats my opinion and you're free to try whatever you'd like but I would at least attempt to use M&K to start.

Maybe for your vehicle controls, but you'll need a mouse to compete in firefights.

Thanks for the tips guys. Ok looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and use the keyboard and mouse. It's going to take a while because I've never used a keyboard and mouse for gaming before.

And i was told to trust noone before, but how will I make friends?? I want to join a group who know what they're doing while I get acclimated to the game which shouldn't take long.

Thanks for the tips guys. Ok looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and use the keyboard and mouse. It's going to take a while because I've never used a keyboard and mouse for gaming before.

And i was told to trust noone before, but how will I make friends?? I want to join a group who know what they're doing while I get acclimated to the game which shouldn't take long.

You CAN trust people. It's just very hard to tell who.

If you're looking for a great community with a lot of friendly players [whitelisted, also!], look at www.balotabuddies.net .

• Like 1

I use a wired xbox controller/mouse combo and it works great.

If you're looking for a great community with a lot of friendly players [whitelisted, also!], look at www.balotabuddies.net .

Okay I will definitely try that thanks

I use a wired xbox controller/mouse combo and it works great.

How'd you set that up?? I would rather do that if it doesn't put me at a disadvantage

Lol you just want to drop a helicopter on his head.

But yeah balotabuddies is the way to go.

Edited by GOD™
  • Like 1

It's much easier and better to navigate via keyboard an mouse once you're used to it, but if you need to use a PS3 controller or Xbox controller, use XPadder. It allows you to set certain buttons to different keys on your keyboard.

How'd you set that up?? I would rather do that if it doesn't put me at a disadvantage

No matter how you do it, it will give you a disadvantage. Theres no way your reaction on a controller can compare to the reaction of a keyboard and mouse :)

Just compare all console games with the PC version, the concole version are in general a little "slower" because of the reaction using a controller. (BF, CoD etc.)

So unless you are a pro with a controller it would give you a disadvantage, especially in a game with this insane amount of keybindings, theres pretty much a button for everything XD

Edited by Byrgesen

When I read "navigating with a keyboard and mouse scares the living crap outta me"... that was funny. You will find that PC can beat console at every single thing (or has the ability to) and 2x, except ease-of-use. Consoles were debatabely designed as an ease-of-use system for games. Just plug it in, put in a game and play. PC can be a bit more difficult, but it's better in the long run.

Using a keyboard and mouse can be a better experience, especially if you buy a gaming keyboard and mouse. These mouses usually have about 13 buttons or so, allowing for many controls to be mapped and executed very easily, and with ArmA, is an absolute blessing for its many actions. Gaming mice are aerodynamically designed, and flow very smoothly in use.

The gaming keyboard has configurable keys for you to use, as well.

You can plug in your XBox controller and use it, your PS3 one wouldn't work in the computer as there are no drivers for it, I presume. Either way, PS3 won't work. Many of the controls for ArmA are useless in DayZ, so you might be able to fit all of them on with button combinations and such, but you'd have to be smart about it. I myself deleted all the useless controls ArmA had and remapped what I did use. It doesn't make too much of a difference anyway, but it's nice.

A joystick is nice for vehicle controls because it makes steering easy and fun to use, especially in a helicopter.

A PC gaming controller will be expensive for a good one, but will be well worth it if you wish to invest in PC from now on (and trust me, you should!). I've always wanted a controller for ArmA jus' cuz, and I have one, but I can't find the disk for the program, and it was hard to configure anyway, because it wasn't a good one.... lesson learned.

Advice: watch out for hackers. Do NOT get involved with them whatsoever, or you'll find yourself in a worse place. You might get tempted, but it never ends well, no matter what it is.

Don't trust people, who says don't trust no one.

To makes friends it helps being comfortable around zombies and comfortable in populated cities. Move tactically, always move along cover, always move unpredictably, always keep cover close. When you see another player, take cover to prevent misunderstandings and communicate from behind cover. When two players are pointing their guns at each other, someone at some point will get nervous and pull the trigger.

Meeting friendlies is like all other aspects on DayZ, something you can improve by improving your knowledge and survival skills

Hey guys. I just finished building a computer that will hopefully run this game smoothly because I've been waiting for months!!! I'm new to PC gaming and the thought of using a keyboard and mouse to navigate scares the living crap outta me lol. I wanted to know if it was a good idea to hook up and use my Ps3 or Xbox controller instead. If I do am i at a disadvantage?? I'll consider buying a pc gaming controller if it isn't too expensive.

Also being a "bambi" are there any tips you guys can give me to start off ? Im a straight up gamer and very loyal.

Thanks guys

Your reaction time with a mouse and keyboard is much faster in my opinion you just have to train if you're used to ps3 or xbox controllers

+ Trust no one! and get used to die alot of times go on youtube and watch some videos to get a good grip of the game

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions...

-Nicolai

Don't listen to all those people telling you to trust no one. There are more friendly players than what everyone suggests.

Ofc, if they look sus, kill them or run the fuck away.

Edited by Auslovich

Wouldn't recommend using a controller at all for PC gaming. It is PC gaming, isn't it? :P

When I started playing PC games years ago I was the same way, now I don't like using controllers unless I actually am playing a console, even then it can be annoying at times for me, and that's coming from someone who was a console gamer the majority of the time spent playing games.

Lol you just want to drop a helicopter on his head.

But yeah balotabuddies is the way to go.

:D

All i can say is, it won't take long before you are comfortable with a mouse and keyboard and they you will wonder why in the bloody hell you ever used a gamepad for first person shooters in the first place.

No, it's not a good idea to use a gamepad in DayZ. You will be at a huge disadvantage!

WASD+Mouse is a VERY LARGE advantage over a joypad for FPS style games, get used to moving this way lest you loose every fire fight ever.

Edit:

And turn your pointer acceleration off.

Edited by BigglesPiP