Raider (DayZ)

Suggestion (Dangerous Animals)

Okay,

this may be a zombe apocalypse, but the dangerous animals wouldnt flee?

they would get infected too i suppose. And i dont think zombie should be the ONLY threat in a realistic zombie survival.

So what about adding the native russian dangers and their infected variants?

for example the brown bear, amur tiger, grey wolf, Boars that can charge and possibly break bones, common northern viper, lynx, maybe even ticks and Mosquitoes?

the game would be alot more realistic, immersive and diverse. = more fun.

post-139750-0-99485200-1361027100_thumb.

post-139750-0-76190700-1361027305_thumb.

post-139750-0-41924000-1361027313_thumb.

post-139750-0-16788400-1361027320_thumb.

post-139750-0-13441400-1361027327_thumb.

Edited by Raider
  • Like 1

Suggested before and if it was implemented, would take a ton of coding. I don't see it happening.

And I think that this would make survival harder than necessary. Realism does not always mean fun.

When im traveling from south to north, i find there is alot of open space and nothing interesting going on, i think that a few animals would make the experience of dayz more fun and less of running for 2 hours doing nothing, its kind of a grind.

Edit: and i dont really think people would give up on a good idea because it required 'a ton of coding' thats not what making a good game is about.

Edited by Raider
  • Like 2

Many suggestions for this, However If the animals cannot be implimented then we should have some sounds at least, Wolves howling at night, mumbles heard through the forests, screeching birds.

If memory serves me right there have been some new animal models been made, we will have to wait and see.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25
  • Like 1

And I think that this would make survival harder than necessary. Realism does not always mean fun.
Survival means doing what is necessary, to keep yourself from dying.

DayZ isn't about fun, it's about overcoming challenges and dealing with stressful and dangerous situations.

@OP - If you're going for deadly creatures, add ticks. Lyme disease will fuck you up if there are no doctors around.

Animals that aren't infected but are carrying the infection would be fun in the worst kind of way meaning the best kind of way.

DayZ isn't about fun, it's about overcoming challenges and dealing with stressful and dangerous situations.

@OP - If you're going for deadly creatures, add ticks. Lyme disease will fuck you up if there are no doctors around.

It's not entirely about fun, but no one is going to want to play a game that isn't fun at all.

• Like 1

You make your own fun. Same as you take joy in accomplishing challenges which you set for yourself.

If everything was simple, happy-go-lucky and fun, there wouldn't be the same sense of achievement.

would be good to be on your travels and carefully looking at Zelenegorsk from the tree line with Bino's and see a bear stroll into town looking for some bean cans to lick and instead decide to start ripping zombies up :)

Suggested before and if it was implemented, would take a ton of coding. I don't see it happening.

This game is supposed to be hard as actual survival would be.

So yeah, in this case, realism = fun.

This game is supposed to be hard as actual survival would be.

So yeah, in this case, realism = fun.

You're missing the point I was trying to make. There is such a thing as too much realism. Forget the fact that this has been suggested many times before. Ask yourself this: Would you picture the community REALLY enjoying this? If this suddenly appeared in the list of confirmed features for the standalone, do you think people would jump for joy and cheer Rocket on, or would you see mixed opinions and people generally not liking it?

I personally don't see DayZ having this in the standalone simply because the real danger was intended to be hordes of zombies and other players. Wild animals attacking you would be a completely new aspect of the game, and it would be such a major feature that it would have been in the game by now. But it isn't, and that's what makes me think it won't happen.

If DayZ did not have much fun in it, there would not be a million and a half people playing it. Overcoming said challenges are part of the fun, but there are already lots of dangerous and stressful situations, in my opinion. I've gotten my adrenaline pumping, my hands shaking, my voice wobbling while playing DayZ many times, and that is what many people love about the game. But I believe that this suggestion would make the game have TOO much dangerous situations and stray away from what Rocket was aiming at.

When im traveling from south to north, i find there is alot of open space and nothing interesting going on, i think that a few animals would make the experience of dayz more fun and less of running for 2 hours doing nothing, its kind of a grind.

Edit: and i dont really think people would give up on a good idea because it required 'a ton of coding' thats not what making a good game is about.

Now that IS a problem. In this case, yes, wild animals would be a welcome change of pace from the boring forest hiking, but it still seems like wild animals are too "Far Cry-ish". On the topic of coding, if they used the zombie AI, it might work. But with every new change, there are always more bugs that come with it. Perfecting wild animals, if Rocket wants to have them, would probably take weeks or even months.

Edited by FlamingDefibs

Forget the fact that this has been suggested many times before. Ask yourself this: Would you picture the community REALLY enjoying this? If this suddenly appeared in the list of confirmed features for the standalone, do you think people would jump for joy and cheer Rocket on, or would you see mixed opinions and people generally not liking it?
Well, just taking this topic as a rough cross-section, it's 6 to 2 in favour. 75% Think it's a good idea.

EDIT: If you REALLY want to find out, you could make a poll.

"Do you want DayZ to be improved? Yes or No." :lol:

Edited by Chabowski

Well at least something is needed to fill in the boring gaps of traveling miles and miles to a 'hot spot' on the map, if something isnt added to fix the grind i think id consider DayZ to be unfinished to be honest.

• Like 1

Well at least something is needed to fill in the boring gaps of traveling miles and miles to a 'hot spot' on the map, if something isnt added to fix the grind i think id consider DayZ to be unfinished to be honest.

Now that's something that everybody can agree on.

Well, just taking this topic as a rough cross-section, it's 6 to 2 in favour. 75% Think it's a good idea.

EDIT: If you REALLY want to find out, you could make a poll.

"Do you want wild animals in the wilderness?" Yes or No." :lol:

That seems like a good idea.

Raider, would you be so kind?

To be fair, at this stage DayZ should be considered unfinished. (because it is)

The fact is, without more wildlife, Chernarus isn't going to ever feel properly alive.

Implementation of a proper food-chain (of sorts) is a way for us to bring about one thing that's pretty much vital to the survival experience: A natural feeling world.

• Like 1

To be fair, at this stage DayZ should be considered unfinished. (because it is)

The fact is, without more wildlife, Chernarus isn't going to ever feel properly alive.

Implementation of a proper food-chain (of sorts) is a way for us to bring about one thing that's pretty much vital to the survival experience: A natural feeling world.

Agreed. I always love the sound of birds chirping as I run through the forests. It's so ironic that a military sim has paid more attention to wildlife sounds than other games with a wildlife focus, such as Assassin's Creed III.

Edited by FlamingDefibs

As a slightly alternate version of this suggestion, how about simply more animal sounds, like Michael suggested?

Still a more "alive" feel to DayZ, while maintaining the feel of the apocalypse as soon as you leave the forest.

Maybe we should take it up a notch: If Rocket decides to put wild animals/predators in the SA, then maybe as soon as one approaches your campsite in the forest, the chirping of the birds stops? This happens in real life as well. That would be a nice touch as sell as a subtle early warning system (and something more to strike fear into the hearts of noobs, MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH).

As a slightly alternate version of this suggestion, how about simply more animal sounds, like Michael suggested?

Still a more "alive" feel to DayZ, while maintaining the feel of the apocalypse as soon as you leave the forest.

Maybe we should take it up a notch: If Rocket decides to put wild animals/predators in the SA, then maybe as soon as one approaches your campsite in the forest, the chirping of the birds stops? This happens in real life as well. That would be a nice touch as sell as a subtle early warning system (and something more to strike fear into the hearts of noobs, MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH).

imagine...night, in the forest, a dense fog and suddenly the howling of owls...or wolves in the distance...

Imagine...night, in the swamp, a dense fog and toads creating a constant noise...

imagine...night, in the forest, a dense fog and suddenly the howling of owls...or wolves in the distance...

Imagine...night, in the swamp, a dense fog and toads creating a constant noise...

Quite beautiful, isn't it?

What's the bets they end up with the pacific tree frog "ribbit" noise? :P

I would be VERY impressed if they sampled native (to a real-life parallel location) wildlife, as opposed to just using the old Hollywood sound effects like everyone else does.

btw will we get some nice fog at all ??

Volumetric Cloud system

This has now been fully configured for use within DayZ, used to great effect in Bohemia’s previous product Take on Helicopters (and coming in ArmA3 also). There are several pictures of this included in the screenshots for this blog update. Running around the world taking pictures, it was hard toresist really. It adds a real sense of realism when compared with the previous result.

I guess you could simulate fog with this mechanic as well or am i wrong?!

Edited by joe_mcentire