SmashT

DayZ Devblog 15th February 2013

imagine all zombies would stand upright.

if you see a crawling or crouching person, you would instanly know its another player.

but if the zombies crawl and crouch as well you have to look very closely.

just a guess but i think it makes sense ;)

I think he's questioning the physical reason as to why a zombie would hop around.

• Like 2

This idea is so asinine that it makes my head hurt.

I suppose your explanation for how this mechanic should work is that you'd have a cadre of magical faeries who secretly rummage through your knapsack and quietly take out the items when someone completes the mission. These wonderfully magical forest dwellers will then fly of to the Gnomes who hold the negotiated items in escrow, and are more than happy to transplant them at the secret location for a small fee. The faeries will then return and whisper softly in your ear that someone has completed the mission you posted, and your items are waiting to be picked up.

Brilliant!

In fact, they would be the same faeries that allow you to shoot a sniper rifle with ease while foregoing hours upon hours of practice. These same faeries already allow you to even start up a huey as well as fly one without crashing and dying upon take off. Those are, however, a completely different set of mythical forest creatures from those who allow you to experience a zombie apocalypse, which, whether you recognize it as fact or not, has not yet happened on planet Earth. Did you shed actual tears when Twilight decided their vampires should sparkle, because you sound like you did. I always laugh at fools that think make believe stuff should somehow be something other than make believe stuff.

• Like 1

I think he's questioning the physical reason as to why a zombie would hop around.

um cuz its a infection that made people go crazy..

theres no reason to beleive the Zs would simply act like raging normal humans more so then hopping crazy animals..

i have no trouble beleiving Zs would hop or crawl, maybe its the postion they were in when the infection took over ?

maybe the equilibrium organ in the ear is damaged, forcing it to crouch and balance out with its hands.

"sorry needed google translation for this, strange grammar will occur" ;)

• Like 1

Did you shed actual tears when Twilight decided their vampires should sparkle, because you sound like you did. I always laugh at fools that think make believe stuff should somehow be something other than make believe stuff.

I guess that making an inference from a sarcastic remark is not your strong point... In which case, let me make it clearer.

There are far better ways to accomplish the goal of a 'job' or 'quest' system that do not involve items magically appearing or disappearing from one's inventory.

The 'jobs' you spoke of would ultimately be managed by an algorithmic process (a.k.a. agent) as evidenced by when you stated:

and the reward I offer is immediately taken out of my inventory. Whoever completes this trade or job has the thing I want removed and both things are placed into secret caches that only the recipient has the coords for.

The goal here would be to conceal the agent's automated functionality as much as possible from the user by giving him a more human appearance; Instead of the items being abruptly removed from the inventory by some 'invisible man' it would be a far more immersive experience if the 'invisible man' were replaced with the image of an actual algorithmically controlled image of a man/woman in the form of an NPC.

Or, a more organic approach would be for an in game forum for player communication to be developed. This should take the form of a bulletin board placed in the center of the the town square. Players could then leave written messages on the post board requesting items for exchange etc, with a possible date and place where the two parties could meet. This would of course be at great personal risk to both players, as you never know who you are negotiating with. The poster would also have to check back every so often to see if there were any responses. The town square message board becomes the agent in this case.

I believe both strategies could be employed and work well together. The NPC could also leave jobs in the town center, without you ever having to see him/her at all.

An interesting addition could be that this townsman might only speak and write Chernerusian, in which case, your first quest would be to go find yourself a translation dictionary. LOL. Once in your possession, you'd be able to see messages in your home language.

The reason why I am still arguing for NPC's is because it is highly unlikely that in the mist of a zombie apocalypse, you wouldn't find at least one person in the town who'd decide to hunker down in their home and ride out the apocalypse. This type of character would usually be a very difficult to find loner-survivalist hermit type, living on the outskirts of the town, well versed in knowledge of the surrounding districts, and in possession of plenty of lore to hand out in exchange for items. This is not unreasonable at all, and in many ways, adds to the richness of the entire experience.

Edited by codestargod

um cuz its a infection that made people go crazy..

theres no reason to beleive the Zs would simply act like raging normal humans more so then hopping crazy animals..

i have no trouble beleiving Zs would hop or crawl, maybe its the postion they were in when the infection took over ?

Hopping puts a zombie at a distinct disadvantage in mobility. If this virus is to function as the infected in 28 days later/I am legend (I'm assuming this as the current dayz zombies closely mimic those from these movies), the virus results in mindless aggression and brain operation based solely on base need functions.

1) That would mean the infected would naturally move in a way that resulted in highest speed and efficiency.

2)They would not use strategic advancements which will explain why they will advance towards players in a direct path (mentioned this will be in standalone).

3) Lastly, since their thought process is based off relentless aggression, or lack of cognitive thought entirely (whichever way you would like to think of it) this would explain their higher speed and higher endurance. We, as humans, put a great deal of limitation on ourselves mentally due to doubt, low willpower, and or self preservation. Without the thought process, these limitations are lifted. Furthermore, if the virus affects the production of adrenaline, this will also account for increased speed and strength.

Nowhere would it really make sense to hop around, however, I'd like to see how Rocket's brother addressed this behavior in the write up of chemistry/effects of the virus. All this aside, it adds to the variation of zombies, which I like, so despite it not making sense to me yet, I have no problem with it being in the game.

maybe the equilibrium organ in the ear is damaged, forcing it to crouch and balance out with its hands.

"sorry needed google translation for this, strange grammar will occur" ;)

1) I could understand this, very plausible.

Edited by Lights Out

Hopping puts a zombie at a distinct disadvantage in mobility. If this virus is to function as the infected in 28 days later/I am legend (I'm assuming this as the current dayz zombies closely mimic those from these movies), the virus results in mindless aggression and brain operation based solely on base need functions.

1) That would mean the infected would naturally move in a way that resulted in highest speed and efficiency.

2)They would not use strategic advancements which will explain why they will advance towards players in a direct path (mentioned this will be in standalone).

3) Lastly, since their thought process is based off relentless aggression, or lack of cognitive thought entirely (whichever way you would like to think of it) this would explain their higher speed and higher endurance. We, as humans, put a great deal of limitation on ourselves mentally due to doubt, low willpower, and or self preservation. Without the thought process, these limitations are lifted. Furthermore, if the virus affects the production of adrenaline, this will also account for increased speed and strength.

Nowhere would it really make sense to hop around.

It's great to know that you're an expert in THINGS THAT HAVE NEVER HAPPENED.

• Like 2

jacked up neurochem

Visit a psych ward and see for yourself.

It's great to know that you're an expert in THINGS THAT HAVE NEVER HAPPENED.

Obviously you didn't read the part in which I was using two movies as a reference coupled with obvious common sense. Good to see your comprehension skills are top notch.

Not to mention your argument pertaining to the inability to be knowledgeable on a subject based solely on the fact that it hasn't occurred is irrelevant. What do you think the CDC does? They are experts at predicting and preparing for outbreaks that don't exist and have never happened. I'm not claiming to be an expert but someone that is well read or knowledgeable can formulate valid scenarios and effects based on events that have never occurred. You probably do it daily, people get paid to predict what has not happened whether it's a business decision or a natural disaster.

Now, for future reference, you might want to join in the discussion and leave a constructive opinion or just refrain from posting at all because honestly, you're not as clever as you think. Good day.

Edited by Lights Out

Make a coctail out of Rabies, Ebola and Avian Influenza, add some fiction (Rage virus) and there you go...you've got all symtoms needed for our scenario

Make a coctail out of Rabies, Ebola and Avian Influenza, add some fiction (Rage virus) and there you go...you've got all symtoms needed for our scenario

and kool-aid?

Edited by Lights Out

i want dev-blog update: with dev-blog previews at thursdays and and dev-blog reviews at saturdays with a huge round-up on Sundays.

and kool-aid?

yap cherry...but it is or better was called Quench over here :)....the Quench virus...hmmmm

i want dev-blog update: with dev-blog previews at thursdays and and dev-blog reviews at saturdays with a huge round-up on Sundays.

yap and some small teaser vids in between

Edited by Private Evans

My brain don't work too good today, but does anyone know/seen anything regarding the actual disease system? Is it something we can expect to see in the initial foundation build of the standalone, or is it something that will be developed gradually with new builds?

My brain don't work too good today, but does anyone know/seen anything regarding the actual disease system? Is it something we can expect to see in the initial foundation build of the standalone, or is it something that will be developed gradually with new builds?

Since the new health and disease system will be one of the most important features of the game it should be in right from the start....but the whole thing seems to be a huge secret ;)

Most likely;

But I'm still wondring why a zombie would be crouch-hopping at all?

Probably because Dean mentioned the virus having a "progression" where zombies that are freshly zombified will run, have vigorous attacks, etc. Zombies that are in later stages of the virus are weaker, maybe they can't completely stand. Zombies in the last stages of the virus prior to dying are the prone crawlers, they're too weak to stand bur crawl along still in search of nurishment.

Or it could be the other way around, start off weak and end up in an empowered rage prior to end of life-cycle.

This idea is so asinine that it makes my head hurt.

I suppose your explanation for how this mechanic should work is that you'd have a cadre of magical faeries who secretly rummage through your knapsack and quietly take out the items when someone completes the mission. These wonderfully magical forest dwellers will then fly of to the Gnomes who hold the negotiated items in escrow, and are more than happy to transplant them at the secret location for a small fee. The faeries will then return and whisper softly in your ear that someone has completed the mission you posted, and your items are waiting to be picked up.

Brilliant!

Clearly his idea isn't fully fleshed out however there are plenty of ways to deal with these things in-game without the use of lame NPCs.

You have done one thing successfully though, codestargod, you've become a troll. Congratulations!

Edited by Cinnabuns
  • Like 1

Clearly his idea isn't fully fleshed out however there are plenty of ways to deal with these things in-game without the use of lame NPCs.

Agreed. See my last post. Not fleshed out? More like flushed down the toilet.

You have done one thing successfully though, codestargod, you've become a troll. Congratulations!

Whatever dude. That word 'troll' is played out and doesn't work on me. When you're right you're right, so hey!.

How 'bout you try to take my comments on board objectively instead of as someone overdosing on estrogen. Peace out.

Edited by codestargod

I really hope that they've done something with the current crawler zombies soldier-like commando crawl.

Re-modelled them to have no legs, and drag themselves, more than crawl you mean?

• Like 2

So.. Technically.. In the Stand Alone, we could say we're killing Rocket each time we brutally murder an Infected?

Edited by Zionist Wabbit

So.. Technically.. In the Stand Alone, we could say we're killing Rocket each time we brutally murder an Infected?

yes

I hope there will bo no humanity sys in palce counting how many inf..Rockets we've killed

Well I see that Steam is offering to let people download the mod now instead of having to go somewhere else and get it.

http://store.steampo...com/app/224580/

Yea, I still prefer to use DayZCommander so I can install updates for Arma 2, DayZ and additional maps etc. Even though I love Valve/Steam and I would otherwise go through them for everything else.

Edited by twinturbonet