Sign in to follow this  
philbottle

DayZ = No Mo Money

Nothin stoping you from trading now. Honestly dayz isn't real life. You don't die for real and you log off when u want. Irl people would be forced to band together for protection. A lone jerk with a sniper rifle wouldn't last long. But since you can't build and defend safe zones in dayz, its just non stop banditry

@bfisher I haven't played enough yet to be certain but it sure feels, to me, like since it became harder to survive and the zombies aren't such pussies, that the instagibbing-CoD-Style has waned slightly. Which is a hugely good thing.

Correction. Justin Beiber himself, with his purty face would be a valuable commodity. I'd be like a lending library. Fill in the rest yourself.

As to a currency, how about bullets? I put some inside your body and you give me everything you own?

Trade is the way forward. "Currency" be it bottletops or cash will have no value without some sort of central governing body.

Rgds

LoK

Dammnit, beat me to it...

Like everyone else states, trade.

The thing is, with a monetary system, you need a mint to produce the stuff, not only that but the money needs to hold value to people. Currently we have fiat money (in real life.) Because we went off the gold standard, the only value it has it that we trust if we give it to someone else they will take it in exchange for items.

So whatever we have in this game it would need to be abundant, but the whole community would have to agree that those things have value, and with that we need suppliers of well, supplies and after we have stores we need banks, housing, etc.

You could back it up with bullets as a form of backing, not the shut bullets either, the good unused kind.

This is why a currency wouldn't work.

TL;DR There would need to be lots of the stuff, and we need everyone to agree it has value, possibly backing it with something, like beans.

Edited by Zancie

@bfisher I haven't played enough yet to be certain but it sure feels, to me, like since it became harder to survive and the zombies aren't such pussies, that the instagibbing-CoD-Style has waned slightly. Which is a hugely good thing.

It's hit or miss. The thing is, there isn't really much reason to trade. It's not that hard to find supplies. I mean has anyone actually ever died by starving or dehydrating?

• Like 1

I have a plan where we can just replace currency worldwide with a simple system of blowjobs and cheeseburgers

Doug Stanhope

That's how you get into some clubs isn't it?

I can say nothing to further this discussion other than,

If Blowjobs and Cheeseburgers isn't the solution,

It's bottle caps.

The more I think about it I actually think that some well organised players could band together and form an economy on a server with little more than the addition of a loot item that can be carried in bulk without much gain in weight (I like cigarettes, personally). Banks and depositories are really only places where wealth is aggregated that, at base, occurs naturally, not unlike loot in DayZ. A well organised group could work hard to collect the best loot on a map and centralise it in a well guarded compound. This would work particularly well in SA where weapons and equipment are instanced and controlled instead of continually and randomly spawned.

Other players are left with an offer that they really can't refuse; Play DayZ as you would normally, try to loot in highly sought after areas and get shot by the "authorities" for what is essentially poaching. Or they could submit to the authorities and legally "purchase" weapons and equipment for the currency of the authority's choice. The authority can impose a currency by garanteeing a price for loot and gear and making the aquisition by normal means of all but the lowest end gear too dangerous to attempt.

This way a kind of tyrannical authority could control a server, one that is part bank, part government and part army. It would be amazing to see such an authority establish itself only to be crushed by a band of "Freedom fighters". Destroying the government forces, tearing open ammo crates and armouries to disperse to the general population, making the server wild and dangerous again. Or to be taken over buy what is essentially another rival group performing a coup d'etat and hoping to capitalise in the same way as the previous tyrants.

• Like 2

Trade... couldn't we just use bottle caps?

Beat me to it you clever dog you.

Set up your own government. Install a police force and an army. Return society to what it once was!

In reality some twat would do that..and we would all be back here one day going about our daily business.

• Like 1

The more I think about it I actually think that some well organised players could band together and form an economy on a server with little more than the addition of a loot item that can be carried in bulk without much gain in weight (I like cigarettes, personally). Banks and depositories are really only places where wealth is aggregated that, at base, occurs naturally, not unlike loot in DayZ. A well organised group could work hard to collect the best loot on a map and centralise it in a well guarded compound. This would work particularly well in SA where weapons and equipment are instanced and controlled instead of continually and randomly spawned.

Other players are left with an offer that they really can't refuse; Play DayZ as you would normally, try to loot in highly sought after areas and get shot by the "authorities" for what is essentially poaching. Or they could submit to the authorities and legally "purchase" weapons and equipment for the currency of the authority's choice. The authority can impose a currency by garanteeing a price for loot and gear and making the aquisition by normal means of all but the lowest end gear too dangerous to attempt.

This way a kind of tyrannical authority could control a server, one that is part bank, part government and part army. It would be amazing to see such an authority establish itself only to be crushed by a band of "Freedom fighters". Destroying the government forces, tearing open ammo crates and armouries to disperse to the general population, making the server wild and dangerous again. Or to be taken over buy what is essentially another rival group performing a coup d'etat and hoping to capitalise in the same way as the previous tyrants.

I love this idea. The only problem with groups and organizations when it comes to DayZ, is that there's literally no way to be online at all times.

I mean yes some groups have so many memebers that it's possible, but to regulate entire life schedules to 'guard a base' on any game is a near impossible task.

By all means props to the organization that can accomplish this.

• Like 1

With the hostile atmosphere (K.O.S, betrayal, banditry...) and the infinite ressources (loot respawns) I don't see a complex trading system working out.

also, returning to a monetary system after an apocalypse, would be pretty stupid.

The thing about your other ideas i.e government forces vs freedom fighters (personally i love it) is that I really think you need one or two areas that just naturally lend themselves to being very easy to defend and these would naturally become the seat of 'government' forces or whatever.

I also think this is a totally badass and awesome idea, especially vis a vis the cigarettes. One other possibility though might simply be coins... there could be vending machines in the stores for example that you can only use with coins or bank notes.

There could even be a kind of server-wide quest to crack open a vault somewhere to distribute (or quarrel over) a finite number of coins / notes (this way they will maintain value and there can be no duplication).

What money would mean is that essentially you are always able to get a set number of supplies from the vending machines, and hence they would be very valuable as trading items..

Love it; we're all freedom fighters in this game, and this time we got the guns :D

• Like 1

Love it; we're all freedom fighters in this game, and this time we got the guns :D

I like that, lets pretend the zeds are politicians.

• Like 1

I like that, lets pretend the zeds are politicians.

They'd call us terrorists :(

Actually, no they wouldn't, 'cos the dead don't talk :lol:

The lack of property rights is pretty devestating for trade, which puts the kibosh on the whole currency thing.

Clans in DayZ are usually pretty egalitarian - property belongs to the clan and members share it. At some point clans could decide to ration out property to members and they would be free to trade it amongst themselves, this could lead to a currency being established.

For everyone else it's a barter and bandit system until society reforms,