Sign in to follow this  
Bambo (DayZ)

My Perspective (1.7.5.1)

TL;DR at bottom.

Basically I have been reading a lot of posts lately that contain a lot of talk about Day Z being "too hard" since the recent release of patch 1.7.5.1. So I thought I would share some of my thoughts with the members of the DayZ community. In regards to some of the complaints being made, I would have to say that some of them are, in fact, quite valid. DayZ has gotten quite a bit more difficult (and this is coming from someone who has been playing the game for several months now) since the patch release. However, I cannot say I am entirely on-board with the whole "DayZ has gotten too hard" ship.

Indeed, the zombies now are a lot more difficult to deal with. Their tenacity, viciousness, and sheer numbers now make them much more formidable opponents. Firing an un-suppressed firearm in a town or city will inevitably lead to massive, unending swarms of undead descending upon you quite rapidly. Death by zombie has become a much more common method of expiring as of recently.

While I do believe that this is the way it should be, I do not agree that DayZ is ready for this yet. Let me explain (with numerically designated points!):

Forewarning: This is the part of the post where a sense of humor is required:

1. The zombies, at the moment, are endless. There are far too many to deal with/sneak past. No matter how many you kill, more and more will take their place. Don't believe me? Go to Elektro. Try killing ALL the zombies. Not just the ones in your area. ALL of them. You will notice that when you move to go kill the zombies outside your area (i.e. from the church to the general store), more spawn back in to replace the ones you just slaughtered. Hell, sometimes you'll notice that even if you stay in one spot, the zombies never stop coming at you.

2. The zombies, in their current state, are retarded. This is no secret. Everybody knows this. The zombies will dead sprint across a field, possibly run past you, then turn around and try to assault you by bringing their arms up in an entirely unrealistic, spastic motion. If you've ever wondered if zombies can have Down Syndrome, well, the zombies in DayZ will give you the answer you've been searching for. But, unfortunately, that's not the only issue with our undead friends. These infected, former communist swine can also be seen, as many of you already know, performing miracles that can only be matched by Jesus Christ, Himself. They will move through doors, walls, glass, fences, tank traps, barbed wire, solid metal, and other objects that I was fairly certain were not permeable without the application of considerable force by literally phasing right through them.

3. The collision detection associated with the zombies is, well, unfortunate. The zombies lack the ability to accurately land a hit on a player without twitching and almost teleporting to its desired target.

Now before any one of you twats says "The game's in Alpha, bro!", I would like to make it clear that the game is in its Alpha (yes, you read that right). This is EXACTLY my point. The game is in its Alpha. The game needs more development before it is truly ready for this "zombie rape" patch. Once the game has been smoothed over then, by all means, let the non-consensual sex between zombies and survivors begin.

And finally, let me make this clear:

I am not complaining. I will continue to play this game regardless as to whether or not my suggestions are taken to heart. I really, in all honesty, just want to see this game succeed. It is truly a magnificent piece of work, and I want it to become even more renowned. Anyway, that's pretty much all I have to say at the moment. Let me know what y'all think.

TL;DR:

Lazy bastard. Go back and read.

Edited by Bambo
  • Like 16

TL;DR at bottom.

Oh, how nice of you. I'm really in a rush but I'm interested in your opinion, so I'm glad y-

TL;DR:

Lazy bastard. Go back and read.

Oh.

th_okay.png

EDIT: Just read it. Bravo to you, for voicing your opinion maturely. Have some beans.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 6

For me this patch raped my performance. I was averaging about 20-50 before the update and now after it I get 10-20. Its shit.

Managed to get rape, religion, politics AND birth-defects in there. What a guy. ;)

I think we all want DayZ to be a success, that's one of the only thoughts most people have in common round here.

It seems to me (judging by the backlash) the latest patch might be a case of running before you can walk for DayZmod.

On paper, increasing the difficulty is EXACTLY what needs to be done. It just doesn't mesh well with the mod's, currently very buggy, system.

To note: I've been playing DayZ since August, and AFAIK zeds have always done the insta-spawn thing.

Anyhoo, does it feel better getting that off your chest?

Ive still found the zombies to be pretty easy to avoid/get rid of. Nothing new for me in terms of zombies except they are a little more annoying when you get into a fire fight with someone. Ive never really had them run through things for a year or so. All this patch has done really is made it harder for the bad bandits to kill noobs.

Hello there

Whilst I doubt I would have put it in quite the same terms as OP did, I do agree on the whole.

9/10 for the idea

minus several million out of ten for the Downs reference.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Managed to get rape, religion, politics AND birth-defects in there. What a guy. ;)

I think we all want DayZ to be a success, that's one of the only thoughts most people have in common round here.

It seems to me (judging by the backlash) the latest patch might be a case of running before you can walk for DayZmod.

On paper, increasing the difficulty is EXACTLY what needs to be done. It just doesn't mesh well with the mod's, currently very buggy, system.

To note: I've been playing DayZ since August, and AFAIK zeds have always done the insta-spawn thing.

Anyhoo, does it feel better getting that off your chest?

I don't always post on DayZ forums, but when I do, I make sure to cram as much controversial material into my threads as possible. Glad you enjoyed it, haha. But, in all honesty, I was not really making this post to complain/get something off my chest. I'm a fairly adaptable player when it comes to this game. I just thought that the game could potentially benefit from my two cents.

Ive still found the zombies to be pretty easy to avoid/get rid of. Nothing new for me in terms of zombies except they are a little more annoying when you get into a fire fight with someone. Ive never really had them run through things for a year or so. All this patch has done really is made it harder for the bad bandits to kill noobs.

If you haven't had zombies glitch through walls in over a year, then I honestly don't know what game you've been playing.

Hello there

Whilst I doubt I would have put it in quite the same terms as OP did, I do agree on the whole.

9/10 for the idea

Rgds

LoK

:D

I like the idea that if you fire a weapon in a city you are going to have a really bad time.

Not too keen on the never ending spawning zombie hordes though. A bit of respite (even 5 minutes) after slaughtering 200 zombies wouldn't go astray.

• Like 1

Now, I'm gonna say the same thing I have been saying about this patch ever since it's release:

It NEEDS a hot-fix for bugs.

The entire zombie spawn situation is certainly irritating, but if you are to shoot a firearm in the middle of a blasted city:

you are going to have a really bad time.

It's a top rule of zombie survival to ALWAYS be silent within a city, especially in DayZ. Though I am not a fan of the path-finding glitches or the walk-through bugs, I am certainly liking the idea RAZOR has given us.

All I ask is a hot-fix for bug fixes, perhaps a few tweaks, but other than that, this can be a solid update.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Probably because i'm not nearly that coherent. I replied in another post about some players having the illusion that by just adding difficulty will magically create better gameplay.

Just the fact that DayZ was modded in to a game that has no melee combat is quite a telling statement. The zombies don't work very well. And most players and the community developers too it seems do not know that fact. They're making balance patches and adding weapons. But I guess that's all you can really do since the real development has already moved forward in to the actual game.

They will either keep breaking it until no-one really cares to play it anymore or just try to minimize the issues inherent in the mod. None of which can really be fixed.

I have been wanting to say something like this for a while now but I could never put it into words. Bravo, beans for you.

Edited by TheBambiAvenger

Glad i found this topic, i share your thoughts OP

The PVE/ Survival still needs to be much MORE difficult IMO. I find surviving way to easy, Food and drinks are plentiful, and your hunger/thirst meters last a long, long time. Tempeture/sickness rarely happen. - The Zombies are only a real threat in extremely large numbers (they are dumb as bricks and move like drunk puppets.), this patch helped bringing some in from further away while shooting, but meh. The game has turned into a shoot on sight any player that moves, find helicopters and fly around in them all day shooting more people because they can't do anything to us until we crash.... Might as well play vanilla Arma if you like that. It's really a walk in the park besides hackers and douches that shoot every living player. I honestly can't remember the last time I've died to environment or zed.

IMO, make the environment pure hell, it will force people to work together to Survive.

OP, you cannot have the ability to clear a city or area zombie free for long periods of time/forever, this would break a lot of looting. People already flip the loot inside buildings by taking it and moving it outside waiting for new equipment to spawn. Someone at a military base could do this all day until they get something they want? I don't think so.

Edited by Beans

Really want to greentext so I guess I'll have to:

>confuses Down's syndrome with Cerebral Palsy

>nope.avi

A bit... tasteless, Don't you think?

Edited by Ingasmeeg

They want to add difficult? Remove the 'safety ground' from inside trees and bushes, make zombies run into buildings. Now you have a really difficult gameplay.

It's just a shame that NO one would play it, cause it would be total garbage, as the engine is totally bugged, the mod have various aspects just ridiculously far from realistic and... well, the mod will be forgotten in 2 or 3 months, as development will be totally transferred to the SA.

I dont even know why am i playing this thing anymore.

Pretty much what I have been saying. Fix the zombie bugs before cranking them up.

If you cant fix them because its an alpha them you cant crank them up.

• Like 1

Because there is no SA?

yeah, totally.

i REALLY, REALLY HOPE that this kind of bugs are fixed on SA, or i'll consider it another WarZ.

Oh, how nice of you. I'm really in a rush but I'm interested in your opinion, so I'm glad y-

Oh.

th_okay.png

EDIT: Just read it. Bravo to you, for voicing your opinion maturely. Have some beans.

What did he say?

Really want to greentext so I guess I'll have to:

>confuses Down's syndrome with Cerebral Palsy

>nope.avi

Ain't really sure where I confused Down Syndrome with Cerebral Palsy...but whatever.

Very tasteless indeed, and not a nice *joke* for those who have family members with it.

I put it down to a moment of idiocy rather than a truly malicious remark hence no warnings, rather a comment.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Yeah, the zoms are endless, but that still doesn't detract from how easy they are to kill or lose still. I find the Zoms in standard DayZ too easy still, even with all the bugs and glitches, getting hit doesn't really do anything to you and the only way you'd die is by firing an M240 and attracting an entire city of Zoms to you.

I'd be all over this opinion if the Zoms were as hard hitting as they are in DayZ+ (which, I think, is how they should be in standard DayZ - deadly), but they're just walking meatsacks with no brains. I can't remember the last time I died from Zombies in standard DayZ, there is no challenge whatsoever. Fix the glitches then bring over the hard-hitting Zoms from DayZ+!