Sign in to follow this  
middors

Something I'd like to see in Dayz SA

First off I'm quite new to the game but I have spent a while browsing the forums and I'm quite excited for the SA. Forgive me if this has been suggested before, and if it has can someone point me to the thread ?

Something I'd like to see in the SA is a couple of scripted events. Imagine walking along through a forest and a fighter jet flies over, or a chopper.Then all of a sudden it either gets shot at or starts to crash. You can see it spiraling out of the sky and hear the explosion.

This would create some more dynamic loot spawns, you could have the chopper be a medical chopper or a fully armed Chinook etc. People would rush to try and get to the new crash site to investigate. See what loot they could find, or maybe even pick off some players by using it as a trap if you're a bandit.

Going even further, you could have these happen in places depending on areas of the map that are popular. Say the entire server population has been playing by the coast for a few hours and no-one's ventured up north. The game could create the crash site north to pull players deeper in-land and reward those that explore.

anyway, just some thoughts ..

• Like 2

I like that idea, they could do a lot of awesome stuff with scripted events.

However, the issue I see with it is that the game is a "MMO".

If it were singple player it would be easy to implement something like that.

But I'm no Dev, and I have no clue if it's possible or not, I'm only going by my understandings.

• Like 1

I don't have anything to add, since Naz wtook the words out of my mouth, but

First off I'm quite new to the game but I have spent a while browsing the forums and I'm quite excited for the SA. Forgive me if this has been suggested before, and if it has can someone point me to the thread ?

Use the search function when you make future posts. It will save you a lot of hate from users and will keep your thread from being locked. Not saying this suggestion has been made before (but it probably has), it's just something to keep in mind.

Edited by FlamingDefibs

Yes, I understand it'd be harder. The way I see it though is that it's no different to having someone fly a chopper across the sky and then crashing it ? I don't know anything about writing code etc so I'm probably way off. Surely you could do something like just give a random path for the chopper to fly on and then have it go down, explode and then the crash-site spawns at that location.

I really think it'd add a lot of atmosphere if they could pull it off !

I don't think these scripted event things should happen.

I think everything that happens should be the cause of the players. Like ArmA.

Players load up a helicopter, they try to fly to Utes, only to be shot down by a sniper. They'd crash, and players nearby would see, and hear the copter crash violently, killing all passengers, but allowing others to go to it and loot it.

I think all events should be by players, not by a script.

• Like 2

I don't think these scripted event things should happen.

I think everything that happens should be the cause of the players. Like ArmA.

Players load up a helicopter, they try to fly to Utes, only to be shot down by a sniper. They'd crash, and players nearby would see, and hear the copter crash violently, killing all passengers, but allowing others to go to it and loot it.

I think all events should be by players, not by a script.

I can totally agree with your point of view. I don't want scripted things to take over completely. My view however is that they have the crash sites in game already for loot. So instead of them just sitting there constantly respawning guns, why not have those crashes happen at different locations. I don't think it should happen often either. I'm talking about maybe once a week the central server would tell all game servers to have the event happen and then each server it'd play out differently on.

edited to add..

You could have like 6 crash sites on a map. Every week one of those would decay and not be available. Then a new vehicle would crash in at a new site. It stays like this for a while then a new one replaces the oldest a week later etc. It'd make hunting stuff more dynamic and you wouldn't always know where they'd be.

Edited by middors

This would definitely make the game much more hardcore

the only problem is that one has to find something that would have shot down that jet/heli

maybe say its something of the map/navy

Just had another thought too. They were talking about maybe implementing radios in the future that you could make and then communicate on frequencies with, right ?

Well how about before going down the plane or chopper would broadcast on a frequency the reference where it's going down. If you had a radio you would be able to tune in and listen when you see it happening.

This would definitely make the game much more hardcore

the only problem is that one has to find something that would have shot down that jet/heli

maybe say its something of the map/navy

Another off the top of my head idea. The infection isn't international. It's only on this certain country. Other countries are trying to shoot down planes and choppers escaping this country in case the infection spreads to new countries.

• Like 1

Hello there

Random events are not a bad idea at all, but they have to be scripted very carefully and be very very uncommon. Also IMHO, they should not lead to uber loot.

Heli crashes are a form of this (except the loot is uber).

If each "event" had many random variables then no two would realistically ever be the same and I believe in everyone having a unique experience as much as possible.

Rgds

LoK

Definitely. They should NOT have uber loot.

They should only have loot depending on the vehicle. Medical chopper etc. So it'd in effect create a new place for medical supplies that people would fight over rather than static hospitals etc.

I don't want uber loot and I don't want scripted events constantly, at all. I only want to make things more dynamic and give more reasons to explore.

Also, assuming that they take the underwater expirience that will be in Arma III and implement it in DayZ.

What if there was things within the Sea that you could loot. For those that didn't see the Arma III gameplay, you can dive in the ocean.

So say a ship/boat gets shot in the water and eventually sinks, what if a player could swim or boat to that location and dive for the loot.

Or old ship wrecks with rare and key items that wern't affected by the "infection" and preserved by the sea.

They could scatter the necessary items for an oxygen tank around the world, or just have a set timer for how long you can hold your breathe. It would add a new dynamic to the game.

Edited by Naz187
  • Like 1

Brilliant ! Sounds like a good idea too. Especially the oxygen tank thing. No reason you couldn't have the chopper crash into the ocean then too.

A lot of people are saying that they want everything to be player driven, which is good, but this is really just adding a cool element to the already existing heli crash sites. It's a good idea. And, someone said there would need to be something that brought the heli down, but I don't see why it can't just be a malfunction or infected pilot.

99% of the things HAVE to be player driven. There shouldn't be any traffic or NPC convoys etc. Just modify the existing gameplay elements to point players in their direction and randomize them. I just really want a way to move players around the map more and in my eyes a big explosion and smoke coming up from over a hillside etc to a new crash site would bring players together in new areas away from towns etc on a dynamic basis.

99% of the things HAVE to be player driven. There shouldn't be any traffic or NPC convoys etc. Just modify the existing gameplay elements to point players in their direction and randomize them. I just really want a way to move players around the map more and in my eyes a big explosion and smoke coming up from over a hillside etc to a new crash site would bring players together in new areas away from towns etc on a dynamic basis.

Right, that also gives the methodical players a choice.

Go into the city or town and take what you can while there are minimal players around.

Or take your chances and go to the crash site and risk your life for the potential military grade loot.

• Like 1

Hello there

Random events are not a bad idea at all, but they have to be scripted very carefully and be very very uncommon. Also IMHO, they should not lead to uber loot.

Heli crashes are a form of this (except the loot is uber).

If each "event" had many random variables then no two would realistically ever be the same and I believe in everyone having a unique experience as much as possible.

Rgds

LoK

Could they perhaps run something like this with the chopper crashes? Instead of crashes just 'spawning' they actually fly in, are visible, and crash (for whatever reason, pilot/crew succumbs to the infection and takes out everyone else for example, or a player manages to shoot it down before it gets to its 'preset' crash site). Anyone lucky enough to be in the area when it happens has more of a 'hint' to where the crash is. Even if the heli passes them going 200kmh and disappear on the horizon they got a general direction of where to look. Or if they add radios anyone in range would hear a static mayday call shortly before the crash. It would make more sense now that crashes don't spawn on restart.

• Like 1

They change the spawn crash site on the new update. They now spawn minute/hours after still that would be nice to see the heli fly and crash on the ground or in the water (damn i would love to check underwater wreck.) and that would make people move a bit more into some ''empty area''.

I think this is a really great idea, and they could even take the system they already have for spawning crash sites, and just use the already intelligent AI of arma to fly a chopper and go into a spiral/dive to the location (and i'm fairly sure this is possible to do with the AI already).

It wouldn't change how choppers work after the chopper is crashed. It'd add to the game to see a chopper spiral and crash, and then see a bunch of zombies stumbling out of the wreck.

BigMike wrote:

if they add radios anyone in range would hear a static mayday call shortly before the crash.

In my opinion, AWESOME idea. so much potential for further immersion.

Edited by SGT_SMUG

I'm glad you guys are all excited by something like this too. I just hope the devs are A) listening, and B) able to add it !

Its a good idea.. I've suggested something simliar a while back..

but Imagine being in a forest at night by yourself and a chopper with a search light comes that would be SCARY.

I'm all for scripted events it would be mega awesome