griffinz

DayZ Devblog 4th February 2013

Holy shit, the EVE char creation system is even more elaborated than in Aion.

I think everyone's forgetting dayz will use the minecraft model. I think a player face creation tool would be neat, but that would be something they add after its been released.

Indeed. I'm sure for the initial release, they are mostly looking to create a stable game with the refined core features in place. From there, they can tweak stuff here and there, as well as get creative with new features in updates.

For the game to be successful, the core features have to be successfully implemented above all and that seems to be what they are working on. I think some people don't seem to understand this. I mean if they only fixed the problems that plague the Day Z mod, the standalone would be amazing.

The features they plan to implement later on is just extra greatness! There's a bunch of extra features I'd love to see but I do believe that those features should be put off until a later update after the initial release though. The core features must be correctly implemented first and so far they're doing a great job.

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 1

I'm not really fussed about a detailed character creation. I mean, obviously it would be great, but we've got to be practical here. We can't have a system that will take us an hour to create a character, only to be killed within 3 minutes of spawning. Unless they make a 'face import from dead character' feature, it'd be kind of pointless.

I personally, at least on a basic level, would rather have these things:

1. Pick your race

2. Pick a basic face shape, which includes a variety of skin colours (Caucasians and asians should have fair to tan options, etc)

3. Pick an eyebrow shape

4. Choose your eye colour

5. Choose your hairstyle

6. Choose your facial hair

7. Pick a colour for your hair/facial hair

At the very, very least we should able to choose race, a face and a hairstyle/colour.

From here, I'd like to see more intricate detailing such as:

Scars on face

Scars on body

Tattoos on face

Tattoos on body

Lip colour

Skin pigmentation, such as freckles, tan lines etc.

Change the face structure separately, such as jaw, chin, cheekbones and eye shape

Possibly a makeup option with basic options such as eyeliner and blush.

I don't find it completely necessary to have an extremely detailed customisation system such as EVE, only that we get enough options to distinguish ourselves. Having a huge variety of clothes will already do that, but things such as hair, and beards (from a distance) will make people much more unique.

Also, something that is sort of similar to character creation, I think another great way to make people more distinguished from bandits and heroes is to change the level of 'Healthiness' they look. Right now, if you're a bandit, your appearance is completely changed. However, I think something more subtle and fluid would be more appropriate. For example, if you're a bandit, your skin colour becomes more sallow. You get dark circles under your eyes, blotchy pigmentation, grazes on your face and body, etc. Basically look a lot more haggard and sick looking.

I don't really mind what happens, as long as we get a huge variety of clothing options, and hairstyles that aren't just military buz cuts and up-do buns. I wanna see Jesus hair, frizzy, short, long hair, patchy hair from scars, etc.

These things will make us that much more unique, without even getting into much customisation depth

• Like 1

If we are dealing with apocalypse, a couple years after some unknown virus made people become zombies, I don't think survivors would have time to make fashioned hairstyles or makeup.

IMO it would be cool to have the opposite of common char creations, where instead of having clean, shaved, good looking people, we would have to choose between very ugly people.

I'd like to reference here the movies The Book of Eli and The Road.

• Like 2

Holy shit, the EVE char creation system is even more elaborated than in Aion.

It really is amazing. Something like that with a DAY-Z Theme to it in Day-Z would be epic.

I'm not really fussed about a detailed character creation. I mean, obviously it would be great, but we've got to be practical here. We can't have a system that will take us an hour to create a character, only to be killed within 3 minutes of spawning. Unless they make a 'face import from dead character' feature, it'd be kind of pointless.

The Character Creation System doesn't have to take you an hour to make your character, a person who doesn't care about what their character looks like could just hit a random selection button for a random face and they would be on their way to zombie killing in less then a minute.

A person like me who cares about the detail and what my character looks like would have all the options in the world to make my character unique from the others.

Also, the face that you make ideally would be kept as your character's default face if you die (like how in DAY-Z mod when you die you have the same stock face you used before), you wouldn't have to redo your characters face over and over again but you would always have the option to if you wanted too.

I know something like that would take awhile so i wouldn't expect it at launch,after all Rocket is using the Minecraft model. But it would be nice to hear Rocket say he has plans for something like that in the future.

Either way Day-Z is a day one purchase for me.

Edited by SuperJesusDude

If we are dealing with apocalypse, a couple years after some unknown virus made people become zombies, I don't think survivors would have time to make fashioned hairstyles or makeup.

IMO it would be cool to have the opposite of common char creations, where instead of having clean, shaved, good looking people, we would have to choose between very ugly people.

I'd like to reference here the movies The Book of Eli and The Road.

Yeah,a Character Creation System With a Day-Z Theme.Think Book Of Eli style or whatever your favorite end of the world movie is,exactly.I think people should have the choice to make thier character ugly or not though... lol.

It really is amazing. Something like that with a DAY-Z Theme to it in Day-Z would be epic.

The Eve Character Creation System Model doesn't have to take you an hour to make your character, a person who doesn't care about what their character looks like could just hit a random selection button for a random face and they would be on their way to zombie killing in less then a minute.

A person like me who cares about the detail and what my character looks like would have all the options in the world to make my character unique from the others.

Also, the face that you make ideally would be kept as your character's default face if you die (like how in DAY-Z mod when you die you have the same stock face you used before), you wouldn't have to redo your characters face over and over again but you would always have the option to if you wanted too.

I know something like that would take awhile so i wouldn't expect it at launch,after all Rocket is using the Minecraft model. But it would be nice to hear Rocket say he has plans for something like that in the future.

Either way Day-Z is a day one purchase for me.

Oh don't get me wrong, I would love an EVE online character creation. Any game that boasts a feature with character creation should have as much depth as EVE's. I enjoy spending a lot of time customising my characters in games that allow it. My favourite part of APB was the character creation, I downloaded EVE purely for there's and the World of Darkness MMO will surely be step closer into a more in depth system which I am excited about.

My post was to point out (what I find) the main necessities of a character creation and how initially, or in a not-so-short term perspective, a customisation feature as intricate as EVE's isn't exactly necessary. A much loved and welcome feature if it were to happen, but not a necessity. I would be happy with the basics of the basics, as long as I am able to select from a variety of faces, hairstyles, hair colours, beards and skin colours, as I find these the most obviously distinguishable features. I find these selections absolutely necessary for a survival game like this. The additional features that come with the EVE system (i.e changing the width of the jaw separately from changing the shape and position of the cheek bones, changing eye colour etc) would be a great additional bonus. But for the time being, we need something that is simple and effective.

I didn't mean a makeup system that would make you look like a well groomed celebrity, I meant it in a way to personally put details onto your skin texture. When I mentioned blush, I meant it as a detail that would give your face texture more colour and shape (remember, a lot of people have naturally rosie pink cheeks, a lot of people don't). When I say eyeliner, I mean it because some people have naturally darker (or lighter) skin tone around the eyes. When I mention lip colour, it's because everyone's lip colours' are different. Some people have very light lips, some people have very dark lips. I was using the 'makeup' option to get more personal detail on your character, in a natural way. No crazy colours', just giving us control over what kind of features we want.

When I mentioned hairstyles, I didn't mean anything crazy like an afro, or a mo-hawk. But in an apocalypse, every man wouldn't be running around with a buz cut. Every woman wouldn't be running around with her hair in a bun. Everyone's appearance would be extremely varied, including hair, and I want those options available to me.

• Like 1

When I mentioned hairstyles, I didn't mean anything crazy like an afro, or a mo-hawk. But in an apocalypse, every man wouldn't be running around with a buz cut. Every woman wouldn't be running around with her hair in a bun. Everyone's appearance would be extremely varied, including hair, and I want those options available to me.

I think a mohawk hairstyle would fit the game pretty well... not too crazy to my taste. As far as there's no emo/kawai haircuts available it's fine by me!

Again I don't think different haircuts are possible for now, as the face models look like one "block" without possibility to change specific parts. I guess in the beginning just give us a lot of faces with lots of variation in hair/beards would be enough. And I mean, yeah it takes time and if at release there's only one face to choose from I wouldn't really mind.

More content will be added on the long term.

I think a mohawk hairstyle would fit the game pretty well... not too crazy to my taste. As far as there's no emo/kawai haircuts available it's fine by me!

Again I don't think different haircuts are possible for now, as the face models look like one "block" without possibility to change specific parts. I guess in the beginning just give us a lot of faces with lots of variation in hair/beards would be enough. And I mean, yeah it takes time and if at release there's only one face to choose from I wouldn't really mind.

More content will be added on the long term.

Yeah I've been thinking... there's already in the game an overlay for helmets... what if the haircut used the same overlay, and was substituted by the helmet once the player puts one on?

That could work, but only with short haircuts. But who would use long hair in a zombie apocalypse? Clementine knows that this is not good! (get the reference? :D)

Is it F5 time already?

I certainly hope so :)

i want to see the other 20Gb of fraps rocket made :)

No chance 24gb wound up to 15min.

Really want to see the progress of the map and z's

Come on rocket, will give you my 5 a day :thumbsup: :beans:

custom haircuts? Because there'll be so many unisex salons in Cheanarus after "The Event"?

Just use different custom skins (for the mod).

L

edit: fyi fraps and the like eat HDD space like a hungry thing.

Edited by orlok

custom haircuts? Because there'll be so many unisex salons in Cheanarus after "The Event"?

Just use different custom skins (for the mod).

L

edit: fyi fraps and the like eat HDD space like a hungry thing.

Haha yeah, when i used to do more gaming youtube vids i would fraps to a stiped 1tb drive, used to smash the usage :lol:

@capricornone

Im sure i saw a post from rather rocket or one of the devs say every friday will be updates !! :D

It's all about roleplay here. It's not important but it gives you another degree of immersion in the game.

Ideally I'd like to see hair and beard growing as you survive, and having to cut your hair/shave with tools looted in the world.

@capricornone

Im sure i saw a post from rather rocket or one of the devs say every friday will be updates !! :D

I saw that too but there hasn't been much said in the past few days regarding one today. I sent Rocket a tweet asking if he'd one planned but didn't get a reply!

I saw that too but there hasn't been much said in the past few days regarding one today. I sent Rocket a tweet asking if he'd one planned but didn't get a reply!

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/184qer/should_we_expect_a_devblog_update_from_rocket/

rocket2guns - The plan is to release a devblog every Friday. I've tried not to talk about it much on twitter because everyone (including me) gets absolutely sick and tired of all the announcement of announcements.

I haven't had the chance today because it's been an incredibly busy day, I won't work on the devblog at the expense of the project. I may end up doing it tonight, or I may end up doing it tomorrow. Or I may do it on Monday. It depends what disasters befall me between now and then.

Regardless - the official position is this: Friday's are Devblog days. But the devblog is a lower priority than actual development itself.

• Like 1