griffinz

DayZ Devblog 4th February 2013

I think the idea of a dog companion would be a great idea but how do you implement a NPC Dog. Does it just follow you about or can you tell it to attack or search for food. Plus its something you could not over do if everyone had a Dog it would just become a joke. Maybe two or three on a server if you go into dog kennels or something and click “Bond with” to form a partnership. Trouble is when you log out with your dog does it come back when you log in and what if three other players had logged in with there dogs.

Be interesting going prone and the dog instantly doing the same beside you.

Now a Ai scripted Zombie Dog would be easy to limit the number, make them rare and control in game.

Birds should be worth full blood...

If you are skilled enough to shoot, feather, cook and eat that bird...you deserve it!

nice, today i ordered a 2..DayZ t-shirts and got to watch a vid on the standalone...a good day

• Like 1

The velociraptors ate them.

Opps, I've said too much!

You'll see...

the new fence did not stop them....??

• Like 1

the new fence did not stop them....??

Nope, they jumped over it like that.

They are so fast that even the automatic sentry turrets can't track them.

I hate those things.

• Like 2

This was posted on Reddit by Rocket yesterday, for those of you that can´t wait for devblog updates:

<_<

it was also already posted in this thread, for those of you that can't read 2 pages back

Nope, they jumped over it like that.

They are so fast that even the automatic sentry turrets can't track them.

I hate those things.

I saw this coming...

<_<

it was also already posted in this thread, for those of you that can't read 2 pages back

yap..a lot of dead horses in the suggestions thread as well...

Lol, F it. I had no problem reading it again! :D

lol, I just didn't like the " for those of you that can't wait for devblog updates" part

Edited by daze23
  • Like 1

rocket2gunsRocket 19 points 1 hour ago

the zombie speed has been reduced. Currently it is above the players but below the mod's. This will again be revised once AI and pathfinding has been altered.

Good to hear the infected will finally pose a serious threat.

Edited by Lights Out

Thanks for the update. I'm not like the others on here... I don't follow Twitter, Reddit, Rocket's Social Security, Rocket's ATM History, and all the other media tools that exist. :)

I always thought it was so strange how the zombies in the mod would run so fast and have to stop because they catch up to you lol. I wish there were slow and fast zombies.

The zombie speed has been reduced. Currently it is above the players but below the mod's. This will again be revised once AI and pathfinding has been altered.

However, the important thing is not the reduction of speed, so much as that zombies will no longer be as retarded and busted. Please note, my use of "as". I think it will take a great deal of time and effort until they are completely unfucked.

• Like 1

The zombie speed has been reduced. Currently it is above the players but below the mod's.
Does that mean Smasht, Fraggle, orlok and the rest of the fellas will be running faster than all us proles? :huh:

(I crack myself up sometimes)

Seriously though, it'll be nice to have zeds attacking like the wild monsters you expect, instead of trying to flank us with their recycled AI and speed-boosted animations.

This thread is very handy.

(I refuse to join twitter. I don't like the idea of being followed)

Ta very much, fellas.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 2

Cheers also for the Info, always nice to know someone will pass it on.

I also don't use the other mediums of yap, get enough of that at home.

We're going to answer some questions about standalone in the next blog update. Ask question with hashtag #AskDayZ and we'll choose some.

If you don't have twitter, I made a thread here and I'll forward them

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123589-ask-a-question-to-be-answered-in-next-blog-update/

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 2

Since I don't have Twatter, would anyone mind asking him how the 3rd person/1st person thing will be handled?

• Like 2

Since I don't have Twatter, would anyone mind asking him how the 3rd person/1st person thing will be handled?

I think he's already answered that. He'll be having it a menu option, so you can't just switch in a second anymore. You'll have to go into the menu and change it, which takes time.

I think he's already answered that. He'll be having it a menu option, so you can't just switch in a second anymore. You'll have to go into the menu and change it, which takes time.

I saw that, but was wondering whether there would still be '1st person only' servers for those of us so inclined.

this option is maybe for your prefered perspective.

he is switching from 1st to 3rd person instantly in the video at 3:55 ;)

Damn...I hope there will still be servers that allow 3rd-1st person switching...I liked travelling in 3rd person and switching to 1st person iron sights with a right-click when aiming.

Does this mean that this way of playing won't work any more?

I hope not, It will be a real change, I was hoping it was only replaceing the enter key, which was now used for something else (ie Numpad enter and all those lovely numbers)