Sign in to follow this  
Draco122

[Standalone] Bloated Corpses

An idea for Day Z: Standalone to come along with their disease mechanic.

The idea is of a bloated corpse that after a period of time are brimming with disease and infection to the point the corpse is bloated with natural gas. Other means refers to a water source where a body had polluted it, has become water logged, washed ashore and is brimming to burst.

If it bursts in close proximity to a living human besides being coated in gorey mucus, there is a strong chance they can pick up an infection through this, the chance is higher if they have a recently bandaged wound or is exceptionally high if they are bleeding. Now a bloated corpse could be an animal or a human, why would you get near it. Sometimes you wouldn't have a choice in the matter when moving around inside a building, you could have just noticed a corpse and investigated it, there could be some loot lying nearby for you to use.

The idea is that a bloated corpse could potentially burst if you get too close or stand around for too long, showering you in a gross mucus that could potentially increase your risk of catching a disease. It can be washed off via rain or swimming in a pond or if you changed your clothes and discarded them.

• Like 2

well, i dont know but i think this is far away from reality, exploading corpses if someone gets close, maybe a highly infected player dies and his corpse infects almos everything nearby in some time... i think no to explosions....

• Like 3

BOOMER!

But seriously.. corpses dont just explode. Not unless you are in L4D, or Diablo. (maybe a few more)

I like the idea of seeing propper stages of decomposition for dead players and bloating is part of the break down of the human body. It would add so much more depth to the game, think coming across a skeleton with just a bit of flesh left on him and a few scrubbings of clothing. You could investigate the corpse and check for bullet holes, broken bones, stab wounds, impact trauma etc. Seeing a skeleton or a badly decomposed corpse would mean that the person who lay before you died a long time ago and that the threat of whoever or whatever killed him may very likely be long gone aswell.

Besides, it just seems real in a zombie apocalypse to find bloated, badly decomposed, unburied humans lying on the road and in the woods as a testimate to the insane difficulty of survival.

Don't know about the exploding part though, that sounds a bit unrealistic. I do agree that there should be a very high risk of disease and I think adding a few maggots crawling around the body would look good.

Edited by PracticalTactical

There is a slight eruption in the bladder because when you die you lose muscle control and gas builds up but its a very small eruption and the only way it could infect another human is if someone tried to loot his/hers body. That seems bit more realistic than exploding corpses.

• Like 1

Hello there

I do like the different levels/types/states of decay idea, but not the *exploding* corpses. They don't blow up like red barrels. Rupturing of thinned parts and a general oozing is more common.

L

maybe we could add some kind of death smell that can be transfered through the computer screen so we know when we are close to a decomposed body

well i could live with the OP's idea, under the condition the zombie has reached its final state of decay and has died then naturally. The rotting process could lead to bloating of the corpse.

FunFact: cows can explode, when they eat far to much clover (http://www.lifestyle...-in-cattle.html)

The emergency operation involves plunging a sharp pointed knife into the distended rumen and making a short incision into it. Sometimes the gas will explode outwards but it may be necessary to scoop the excess stable foam out by hand. Oils like liquid paraffin or antifoaming agents like pluronics should be added to the rumen contents, then the site should be cleansed and sutured like a standard operation site.

Edited by joe_mcentire

...keep in mind.our zeds are no Romero zombies but infected...

I'm glad sometimes as Romeros zombies now ride horses and want 'peace'. To be honest I think they're only 'infected' -28 days later- styled because of the crap animations they had to play with along with them being slow means easy mode for looting.

Some seem to be confused on this topic...

There is a slight eruption in the bladder because when you die you lose muscle control and gas builds up but its a very small eruption and the only way it could infect another human is if someone tried to loot his/hers body. That seems bit more realistic than exploding corpses.

This ^ is how I intended the Bloated Corpse, nothing regarding the corpse exploding (like the L4D Boomer or a grenade) you have to be physically touching the corpse in order for it to potentially pop. Looting it or merely touching it could cause a rupture.

And by "Corpse" I'm referring to dead bodies, players who were killed ages ago, Animals that are left to rot, Zombies who have been killed , ones you'd find naturally or those that are normally static (like the dead soldiers you sometimes come across at Airfields). By no means do I intended for "Bloated" Zombies