radivmoe

Ammunition types

THE AMMO POLL!  

79 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of ammunition is the most important to DayZ?

• Incendiary
    • HE
    • Subsonic (SD-ammo)
    • Expanding (hollow point/soft point)
    • WTF dude? why are you even suggesting this crap?
    • Armour piercing

First off i want to mention that i do know that subsonic ammunition is already in the game, the poll asks what is most important, not what should be implemented.

i have been thinking, what if DayZ had more types of ammunition? i would certainly not be surprised to find expanding ammo for hunting rifles in a similar situation, as it is commonly used for hunting. i would not be surprised to see other more military ammo types.

this is what i have come up with so far:

Incindiery: i would say a plain damage boost plus irrepairable damage to tissue if the medical system will support it. this would be very rare, and when you also have to find the right caliber, this would be reasonably balanced.

HE: this type of ammo could be used for increased damage to vehicles, and could be (with the incindiery) be one of the rarest types available.

Expanding: this would be the civilian equivalent to incindiery, with a damage boost against infantry. the bullet could do less damage to vehicles as the ammo is softer than normal.

Edit: NOW WITH AMMO BOX!

fne5gg.png

i take no credit for this 3D model or skin.

Suggestions and criticism is appreciated.

Edited by radivmoe
  • Like 1

It's deep into the post apocolyptic area, Chernarus.

Based in Russia I do believe.

How many people, would go for the military (I'm pretty sure only them would hold such ammunition) in search of ammo?

Alot.

Cool idea, just not for DayZ in my opinion.

Ah yes....sure 100% will run for the ammo dumps and weapon factories for special ammo if there would still be anything left if not already broken.... that would be a fraction of a fraction IRL in case DayZ happens. Normal ammo is good enough, AK rounds can punch through the slanted rear wall of a HMMWV in game FYI, guess what it will do to a Lada.

Edited by Enforcer

now, don't get too angry please, this was a suggestion. also expanding ammo is (at least as far as i know) the primary ammo type for hunting, and my father uses a bolt rifle with the same calibre as an M-16. so. yeah. duct tape?

Edit: civilian version of the calibre, about the same but with slight differences.

Edited by radivmoe

Maybe with The crafting System The ability to saw of The tips of your ammo, provided you have a saw ;-)

Pros: you do more damage to soft targets, bigger wounds/ harder to heal.

Cons: decreased Range, due to inferior aerodynamics , worse bullet Penetration (less damage vs Hard targets/ Body armor )

• Like 2

Maybe with The crafting System The ability to saw of The tips of your ammo, provided you have a saw ;-)

Pros: you do more damage to soft targets, bigger wounds/ harder to heal.

Cons: decreased Range, due to inferior aerodynamics , worse bullet Penetration (less damage vs Hard targets/ Body armor )

i was thinking something like that, just that you can find produced stuff for civilian weapons, as it is quite common.

Edit: the produced stuff would have no loss in range because the aerodynamics are exactly the same.

Edited by radivmoe

I dont think any military stocks up on HE, incendiary and hollow point small arms ammunition, as its banned on the hague convention, the smallest HEI round i can think of is .50 Rauifoss. So these different ammunition types would be rarer than FMJs.

I dont think any military stocks up on HE, incendiary and hollow point small arms ammunition, as its banned on the hague convention, the smallest HEI round i can think of is .50 Rauifoss. So these different ammunition types would be rarer than FMJs.

i do think i said that hollow point ammo was for civillian gear, and HE/Incindiery was to be very rare, maybe it can be 50. only as well.

EDIT FOR SPELLING

Edited by radivmoe

I would only add subsonic and "expanding", which refers to hollowpoint, right?

Also, to add more bolts, I would like wooden and steel bolts. Wooden bolts would have a chance to break when retrieving/pulling the bolt out of your target.

Edited by Sutinen

i do think i said that hollow point ammo was for civillian gear, and HE/Incindiery was to be very rare, maybe it can be 50. only as well.

EDIT FOR SPELLING

Hollow points would fit in, especially if in the standalone theres less military weapons, it would be logical that there would be less military ammunition then.

I doubt there will be that much hollowpoints or other special ammo since a lot of rifles ( Enfield, Mosin Nagant ) also use military calibers and they usually go with FMJ, even the 9mm parabellum and 9x18mm are jacketed. The next round that came after FMJ would be AP imo which isn't that common at least in the hands of civilian shooters.

Hollow points would fit in, especially if in the standalone theres less military weapons, it would be logical that there would be less military ammunition then.

i know, thanks for feedback

I doubt there will be that much hollowpoints or other special ammo since a lot of rifles ( Enfield, Mosin Nagant ) also use military calibers and they usually go with FMJ, even the 9mm parabellum and 9x18mm are jacketed. The next round that came after FMJ would be AP imo which isn't that common at least in the hands of civilian shooters.

special ammo would be very rare, soft points are the most used ammunition for hunting rifles, since it is not illegal to use on animals.

DEEEEUUUUURRRP

Edit: for hunting that is, i rarely see soft points at the shooting range.

Edited by radivmoe

The great majority of hunting rifle ammunition uses soft point bullets as they give far greater consistency of expansion and penetration.

The only exception are those loaded with the Nosler Ballistic Tip (nylon tipped hollow points) which do nothing apart from wound game and only utter spunktrumpets use them.

special ammo would be very rare, hollow points are the most used ammunition for hunting rifles, since it is not illegal to use on animals.

DEEEEUUUUURRRP

Edit: for hunting that is, i rarely see hollow points at the shooting range.

The great majority of hunting rifle ammunition uses soft point bullets as they give far greater consistency of expansion and penetration.

The only exception are those loaded with the Nosler Ballistic Tip (nylon tipped hollow points) which do nothing apart from wound game and only utter spunktrumpets use them.

And that's why i posted above...how many genuine hunting rifles are in the game.... only one. Too many weapons with a military background. Apart from the AK and it derivatives there is not really much to choose from because a rugged rifle that doesn't need a lot of maintenance and is easy to handle ( point, aim, shoot, oil it ) is the first choice in a country like Chernarus, or else the AR would have been the first choice for your neighborhood terrorists ( the chinese would have built them even without permission if there was a market ).

And that's why i posted above...how many genuine hunting rifles are in the game.... only one. Too many weapons with a military background. Apart from the AK and it derivatives there is not really much to choose from because a rugged rifle that doesn't need a lot of maintenance and is easy to handle ( point, aim, shoot, oil it ) is the first choice in a country like Chernarus, or else the AR would have been the first choice for your neighborhood terrorists ( the chinese would have built them even without permission if there was a market ).

and more civilian weapons are to come in the SA, so... duct tape?

I like the multiple types idea, partially at least:

HE doesn't really exist for rifles IRL, so no

incendiary is only useful against vehicles, I wonder how much use it would be?

Subsonic... only for larger calibres (nope, there is no 223/M16 subsonic ammo, AK subsonic is also just about non-existent, so 308 and pistols only...) but with totally different balistics

holow-points - OK

would include a special "sniper" HPBT ammo which would make the sniper rifles a lot more accurate (so with regular cheap army ammo they would not be as accurate as they are now)

how about AP ammo?

IMO it's probably best if there aren't a myriad of different ammo types, because you'd start getting unrealistic.

I like the multiple types idea, partially at least:

HE doesn't really exist for rifles IRL, so no

incendiary is only useful against vehicles, I wonder how much use it would be?

Subsonic... only for larger calibres (nope, there is no 223/M16 subsonic ammo, AK subsonic is also just about non-existent, so 308 and pistols only...) but with totally different balistics

holow-points - OK

would include a special "sniper" HPBT ammo which would make the sniper rifles a lot more accurate (so with regular cheap army ammo they would not be as accurate as they are now)

how about AP ammo?

good feedback.

thanks for the suggestions, you probably know more about this than me.

IMO it's probably best if there aren't a myriad of different ammo types, because you'd start getting unrealistic.

is it unrealistic to find special military ammo used for special operations?

Edit: SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL!

Edited by radivmoe

I agree it shouldn't be on top of the dev's list, but if we can find candy like military type weapons it would also be "realistic" to find military type ammo;

to some extent at least; military ammo is nothing special IRL, usually civilian ammo is of better quaity anyways, except for AP and incindiaries.

Honestly don't most militaries just use one type of ammo (other than Special Forces Groups which even then would somewhat limited and their ammo would usually be stored in an armory in their home country when not being in active use). Keep in mind Chenarus is something of a backwater fomer Soviet and Im pretty sure the only reason were seeing makarovs revolvers and 1911s in civilian hands/homes is because of a black market and people keeping Grandpa's old sidearm from his military days. So other than stuff that could be easily acquired by East European civilians or stuff that you would find in an old Red Army Armory. Speaking as an American, this isn't America where you can go down to Kamenka's Walmart and buy 3 boxes of .45 Wadcutter, 2 boxes of .223 'plinking' a box of of 9mm FMJ ect ect ect, or go to some website like cheeperthandirt and order 1000 rounds of 'tallonpoints' or AP.

Well FMJ and Hollow Point is the only ammo that makes sense of using, altough the 12 gauge could be loaded with all sorts of crap like sand, gravel, coins, nails, bolts, batteries and stuff like that.