Very Ape

Maiming without killing

I'd like to see a health system wherein you could be shot and incapacitated without necessarily bleeding out at such a rapid rate, and without necessarily being unconscious.

For example, if I were to be shot in the stomach with a makarov at close range, and I wasn't wearing a bullet-proof vest, my character would fall on his ass and start writhing in pain, clutching his wound. You wouldn't bleed out as rapidly, but you would die after a few minutes.

Can you imagine the psychological impact of seeing your friend agonizing on the ground? This could be a deadly tool for snipers, who could purposefully shoot to maim in order to draw out some good-intended friends.

The same could apply to gunshot wounds to the legs.

Basically, what I'm suggesting is creating a wounded animation, wherein you're fully conscious but you can't move (busy applying pressure on the wound and screaming your ass off) and you don't necessarily bleed out as rapidly. Once you lose enough blood, you would then go unconscious and bleeding would resume at a rapid pace.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 9

Any addition along these lines gets a thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

DayZ needs more states of injury than just "fine" or "dead".

We also have "shot in the leg, crawling to hospital to get a morphine" and "wounded to different degrees"

Any addition along these lines gets a thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

DayZ needs more states of injury than just "fine" or "dead".

HAHA this system is clearly based on Erwin Schrödinger!

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

maybe an option in the scroll menu: apply pressure to wound.

so your buddy can bandage you.

or:

if you bandage your self, while doing so, you will loose blood more rapidly until the bandaging is done. (because you lift you hands from the wound).

Edited by Gert-Jan

maybe an option in the scroll menu: apply pressure to wound.

so your buddy can bandage you.

or:

if you bandage your self, while doing so, you will loose blood more rapidly until the bandaging is done. (because you lift you hands from the wound).

I really like that idea, If by apply preassure you slow the rate of bleeding by 50% or so giving your friends time to come and help you out in your hour of need.

Love that idea i really hope its addopted into the game, its small things like this that i find Great !

I agree with Gert, you should be able to move (although very slowly and impaired), but you bleed more slowly if you put pressure on the wound. Maybe crawling, or hobbling around, hunched over from a torso wound. Your condition would get worse until someone stops the bleeding/removes the bullet, and you won't get better for a while, if you survive.

• Like 1

An excellent idea but hard to implement effectively, remember that life (and death) in DayZ is cheap. If you get shot in the belly and are facing the prospect of death in a number of minutes. Why not ask a friend to put you out of your misery and respawn?

The fact remains that no matter what the mechanics of death, injury, first aid and recovery are. We need a reason to fight to stay alive.

I agree with Gert, you should be able to move (although very slowly and impaired), but you bleed more slowly if you put pressure on the wound. Maybe crawling, or hobbling around, hunched over from a torso wound. Your condition would get worse until someone stops the bleeding/removes the bullet, and you won't get better for a while, if you survive.

Removing a bullet is dangerous.

Most medical professionals don't even do this unless asked.

Anyway, yeah, I dig your idea.

An excellent idea but hard to implement effectively, remember that life (and death) in DayZ is cheap. If you get shot in the belly and are facing the prospect of death in a number of minutes. Why not ask a friend to put you out of your misery and respawn?

The fact remains that no matter what the mechanics of death, injury, first aid and recovery are. We need a reason to fight to stay alive.

In my mind, you could be treated. This is where more advanced medical operations such as "field surgery" could come into play.

I don't see why you would kill your teammate then. In standalone, players will become more attached to their heavily-customized characters.

Edited by Very Ape

Add the most bloodcurdling screams.

Anyway, yes, yes, I love it.

^^

The screaming alone would fufill my eternal bloodlust.

Removing a bullet is dangerous.

Most medical professionals don't even do this unless asked.

Anyway, yeah, I dig your idea.

Say if the bullet or bullets aren't removed there is a chance of lead poisoning. The only way to remove the bullet(s) would be to use a safe house or a secluded house with a bed in it and have an 'experienced' medic perform surgery. I suppose this promotes some form of team play. Also the medic would have to have been trained in this type of surgery somehow. Not sure if this is adding too much depth tbh.

Say if the bullet or bullets aren't removed there is a chance of lead poisoning. The only way to remove the bullet(s) would be to use a safe house or a secluded house with a bed in it and have an 'experienced' medic perform surgery. I suppose this promotes some form of team play. Also the medic would have to have been trained in this type of surgery somehow. Not sure if this is adding too much depth tbh.

I think in the case of certain organs, such as the stomach, being penetrated, field surgery would be necessary, but with only a 50% chance of success. You'd need a proper toolkit, found in certain hospitals. In order to transport the patient, if need be, one could bandage his wounds and give him painkillers so he can at least hobble to the hospital with you.

As for any other injury, I don't think removing the bullet would be necessary.

I think in the case of certain organs, such as the stomach, being penetrated, field surgery would be necessary, but with only a 50% chance of success. You'd need a proper toolkit, found in certain hospitals. In order to transport the patient, if need be, one could bandage his wounds and give him painkillers so he can at least hobble to the hospital with you.

As for any other injury, I don't think removing the bullet would be necessary.

If the surgery is performed then there should be some kind of recovery time involved or constant use of antibiotics/painkillers for a period of time.

I'd like to see a health system wherein you could be shot and incapacitated without necessarily bleeding out at such a rapid rate, and without necessarily being unconscious.

For example, if I were to be shot in the stomach with a makarov at close range, and I wasn't wearing a bullet-proof vest, my character would fall on his ass and start writhing in pain, clutching his wound. You wouldn't bleed out as rapidly, but you would die after a few minutes.

Can you imagine the psychological impact of seeing your friend agonizing on the ground? This could be a deadly tool for snipers, who could purposefully shoot to maim in order to draw out some good-intended friends.

The same could apply to gunshot wounds to the legs.

Basically, what I'm suggesting is creating a wounded animation, wherein you're fully conscious but you can't move (busy applying pressure on the wound and screaming your ass off) and you don't necessarily bleed out as rapidly. Once you lose enough blood, you would then go unconscious and bleeding would resume at a rapid pace.

i like the idea, but i think it will give people more reasons to camp cherno/elektro, can only imagine 15 people in elektro all having seizures and break dancing on the ground because theres a douchebag in the hills shooting to "maim", i'de rather they just kill me and let me respawn then troll me and watch me die.

i like the idea, but i think it will give people more reasons to camp cherno/elektro, can only imagine 15 people in elektro all having seizures and break dancing on the ground because theres a douchebag in the hills shooting to "maim", i'de rather they just kill me and let me respawn then troll me and watch me die.

they want your stuff.

they're not going to just shoot you.

and even if they did, you still have a chance to live.

you could crawl away from the area, or await your death.

it's not like it's going to be a 45min wait time.

HAHA this system is clearly based on Erwin Schrödinger!

we gonna trap them in a box and release poisons upon them? >:D

You would die, but it wouldn't be within seconds.

Don't walk into a street littered with survivor corpses. If you walk into a street filled with wounded, near-dead survivors, you deserve your fate.