whatsmynameagain

friendly fire should be an option on servers

i agree with this, server host should have the option to turn on or off friendlyfire. If people like 99% of the replies here don't like it, they don't have to play on it. There are hundreds of other servers to play on. By turning it off friendly can enourages teamplay, for example clearing out a town full of zombies as a group. Also, this will also turn away the lone pricks which probably play the game once a week just to ruin games for others.

• Like 1

i agree with this, server host should have the option to turn on or off friendlyfire. If people like 99% of the replies here don't like it, they don't have to play on it. There are hundreds of other servers to play on. By turning it off friendly can enourages teamplay, for example clearing out a town full of zombies as a group. Also, this will also turn away the lone pricks which probably play the game once a week just to ruin games for others.

Weird statement...FF off doesn't make teamplay better. It's the people who do. They never put FF off in any mission before, not even in a player made mission i played and i'm pretty sure it will sure stay that way. That's the spirit of the game to learn not to shoot everything on sight when playing with others and still hesitate when not sure if you see an enemy or not even if you have a clear shot, often enough you have enough time to ask a second or third time, no answer and still FF? Bad luck for the one who didn't answer or knew his position to tell if it was him or not. If you can't even manage these basics ( know your position and that of your teammates, communicate ) you should play lonewolf. There are enough options to distinguish teammates from enemies ( like team black guy or team braveheart ) until we have full options for character customization. Even then will FF happen when people lack team and communication skills and sometimes there might be a lookalike...

Edited by Enforcer

Perhaps team discipline and communication needs to be looked at? you don't change game mechanics because you and your friends can't communicate.

Are you all armed with AS50's? where are your first aiders?

No, it just encourages you not to shoot straight because it no longer matters.

And how exactly do 'lone pricks' ruin the game? I consider myself a 'lone prick' most of the time but am pretty friendly up to a point (or is that a prick).

I sense some play style punishment occurring in this thread .

How could any one who is for 3rd person server options , have a logical argument against friendly fire server options ?

Having said that , playing dayz with friendly fire off makes the game almost pointless .

How do you know who is friend or foe ?

Edited by Jars
  • Like 2

Where is the immersion in that?

What a stupid suggestion.

To those who want FF optional, go play something else. When you've finished and want to play a survival sim, DayZ will be here waiting.

My idea was that FF off could be an option(server optional) that you choose when you make your caharacter. All the people who choose friendly fire would not be able to kill eachother. Meaning they are looking to team up

These people could stil be killed by people who don't want to choose this option.

It would create a divide in players who want to team up and those who want to watch it burn.

But people here are crazy control freaks who think the way somone else plays on a private hive server effects the way they play on thier own. It's freakin insane.

Control freaks seems a bit rash, we just like the game for what it is, that's why we play it - and harshness of the game distinguish it from other games, its one of a kind; with options such as friendly fire you basically change the game completely

look at it on the bright side, it will force you and your mates to communicate better, which in turn will make you a better team in other games.

If you really don't want to play with FF on, play the shitty single-player version of day z that someone wrote up a script for.

It's quite boring considering that there is absolutely ZERO threat of any kind. What fun is it to "survive" a zombie apocalypse by yourself? The only reason to keep surviving would be the hope of finding other civilization and continuing the human existence.

It'd be cool to have some sort of a single player version of Day Z, but it'd have to have NPC bandits, heros, bambis, experienced npcs, etc. Which to do that right, would be damn near impossible. If those NPCs never have to forage for items, they'd never really be vulnerable or exposed, they'd just be creeping around or running around out in the open like the dumb ass Arma NPCs do. I've heard of servers that have NPC bandits or whatever, but I wouldn't expect to see anything like that anytime soon, for the masses at least.

Edited by McGuyver

How can you consider turning friendly fire on in a game that does not consist of actual teams? Sense make you none.

By the same logic I demand that death be made a server option.

• Like 1

There is a reason why removal of Friendly fire is not a good idea.

From past arguments on this topic, it comes down to a player wants to have it their way- plain and simple.

The player wanting an easy mode might like to sugar coat it but it's plain and simple- I want it to be easier for me to play.

I hear the - if I buy a private server then I should get to set it up the way i want to.

No, you don't have full range to alter the game just because you bought/rented a server.

DayZ SA when it goes to Private server rentals- DayZ Devs will give you a small amount of options based on their testing of the game.

You are renting a server to run DayZ SA (a game) not something you can reshape into what you want.

DayZ SA is not DayZ Mod.

Players seem to get this mixed up that the structure of Dayz SA is different- It's a Game , not a mod.

If you want a large amount of freedom with servers then just have the DayZ Mod.

DayZ SA needs to be balanced and tested which means an easy mode would conflict with this.

As for Private Hive and servers- We won't see those for awhile. Remember the goal of this Alpha/beta release is to help get the game to a finish state not asking for a redesign of the game.

The removal of friendly fire is similar to those who want an Easy Mode, they touch on the same points- I want to make the game less punishing so I can run around with God mode on- basically.

Even though DayZ has elements of a FPS, it's designed to function as an MMO- by looking at the new Architecture for Servers/clients..

From what I have researched- BF3 does have options like the friendly fire but BF3 is a different game then DayZ SA. One is a quick deathmatch or conquest which focus on strict combat while DayZ is a survival game where combat between players is optional. What BF3's server options don't have are options to change the game's mechanics or it's over all rules.- what you experienced when playing it.

Now let's look at MMOs, Planet Side 2- This is a FPS MMO which has friendly fire. There is a reason why it's there- If players had FF turned off then players can go into combat spamming attacks not caring if they run in front of their team mate's gun fire. The purpose of Friendly fire in PS2 is to make player's fight with caution and tactics. You remove FF in PS2 and the game's design and mechanics have been changed.

Imagine if Guild Wars 2 gave players in main game the ability to attack each other? This would go against the design of the game- GW2 is designed for players to team up and work together. Having players be able to kill each other would change the whole dynamics of the game and take all the effort of the Dev team and throw it out the window- breaking the game.

Getting back to DayZ SA- anyone who has been around the DayZ Mod from the beginning or before it blew up can see where Rocket wants to go with the DayZ game.

DayZ is a game meant to trigger emotions/ reactions from the player but this is only possible when the game is harsh but fair- meaning the game gives you a bunch of tools in this sandbox to play with, from guns, food, barbwire, traps, etc. DayZ wants you to play in this world and create your own stories but also to invoked the fear of death and make the player feel tension.

A removal of FF would break this core design principle. These two ideas would remove tension in the game- it's core.

This is like taking out all the curses in a movie that's meant to be edgy, think pulp fiction. Yeah you have an idea what they are actually saying but the removal and replacement of the original content and editing just water downs the movie experience.

When your playing DayZ SA- it's and experience created by the difficulty and unpredictability of it's world. It's harsh but will keep you and your friend's at the edge of your seat due to the unpredictability each time you jump into the game. You never know who you might bump into or what gear you will find. Removal of FF would destroy this.

I know some players will say but it's not doing any harm, but i say yes you are- you are damaging the core of what Dayz is.

You want this mode for personal reasons not because it would make the game better.

And if you want to alter this- why not alter perma death or amount of damage Zeds do or etc. Just a bad idea- play the game as the Devs intended - like you do with every other game you play.