Sign in to follow this  
Griffon

At night in the woods not run: It is likely to fall, stumble, slip.

I recently looked letsplay. And it occurred to me.

At night, with no means of lighting, in the real world it is very difficult to run. I bet you will fall, and maybe even get a dislocated leg.

What is the nature of the proposal:

There is a possibility stumble with different severity.

This affects the probability of light and speed.

If you're running at night in the forest at breakneck speed through the forest, you will very soon fall. What would prevent this from happening you need to run with crouch , or even walk at all.

But if you have a light source, the probability of incidence is very low. With a flashlight, you can safely run, but with a red chemical light you can run only crouch.

In a full moon you can run at full height (standing) in a field, but if go into a forest, the light will not be enough and you will start to stumble.

Developing the idea:

If we move along the inclined surface of a hill or mountain, you can not just stumble and slip because of it tumbled down (almost like miasmata). In such areas, increases the probability of slipping if recently the rain poured.

Developing the idea of ​​a little more:

There are trails, which are formed from the players. Motion along them safe. You can move very quickly (I had a deja vu, and then I remembered where I had heard about trails and i found http://dayzmod.com/f...-consequences/. Thought my idea would be a great addition to the idea of ​​-=PA=-Mikhail).

I3POWVL.jpg

Forgot to add that the risk of falling is also true for zombies.

Edited by Griffon
  • Like 8

Seems like a pretty good idea for standalone, could make chases at night intense.

• Like 1

Forgot to add that the risk of falling is also true for zombies.

• Like 2

This is a good idea although knowing my luck I'll be tripping over as soon as I get up :(

I dunno I feel like this is another thing that would stop people playing at night.

I actually love this idea. Maybe you could incorporate it into villages/cities too. Try running around an urban area at night with no light source. You are bound to trip on the litter and kerbs. This would also increase the amount of lights people use at night and also reduce the need for everyone to cheat and whack up the brightness and gamma. NVG's negate both urban and wooded area trip effects.

I actually love this idea. Maybe you could incorporate it into villages/cities too. Try running around an urban area at night with no light source. You are bound to trip on the litter and kerbs. This would also increase the amount of lights people use at night and also reduce the need for everyone to cheat and whack up the brightness and gamma. NVG's negate both urban and wooded area trip effects.

Oh, I did not even think about it, but it really is the reason for using lighting, and will eliminate the cheating with gamma.

• Like 2

Completely remove the option to change the time on the servers, force servers to have night.

http://global3.memec...t_gp_462282.jpg

Needs global settings where the server overrides host settings, i would also want server hosts not to be able to alter the mission to have the same setting and chances for everyone. But then the "don't force me how to play" group would get loud again...

Edited by Enforcer

would be interesting...like if lets say the defecation and feces suggestion was added in along with this idea....could trip and fall into someones sh**.

:|

Edited by GOD™
  • Like 1

It could work, Idk how i feel about it until i test it though.. If it applies to both zombies and players maybe.. but I can see it being a pain in the ass if you're just trying to walk somewhere.

Maybe if it only applies to stressful situations, or sprinting

Bullfrog's right. The idea is fantastic if applied to both players and infected, but with modderation and when sprinting. Otherwise u would get very bored falling all the time.

I helped free a guy trapped inside three rolls of NATO barbwire after he ran straight into it in pitch blackness. My brother's friend kicked over a trashcan at a random house and sprinted straight into a bike rack a drunken night. He only broke one leg, but in two places.

I like the idea, but running with a flashlight should still be pretty useless. You need to swing those arms of yours to keep the momentum up. However I'm willing to concede on rare spawn headlamps. The only problem I see is that if Rocket is capable of fixing the gamma exploitation and people are forced to walk, playing on night servers might be terribly lonely. Maybe apply a trip and fall, sprain foot/break bone(critical fail) percentage in woods only. Running on asphalt is already an increased risk, since your noise level is very high and traveling along roads are already dangerous.

From a previous post of mine:

I would much rather have fixed objects like exposed roots in forests on the map. Running over these would always trip you over, it's just that in the dark they would be harder to spot which would make people watch their step, as in walk, when moving through dark woods. Falling over like this might have a chance of spraining your ankle. I'd like to see as many of these stupid chance procs taken out of the game as possible so I feel that this would be a more realistic way of simulating these 'random' injuries. Since implementing this feature would introduce a new way for players to break their legs or twist their ankles, the random fractures caused by Zeds pounding on you with their fists (how much sense does that make?) could be removed and the game would still feel challenging.

Edited by TheSodesa
  • Like 1

Thats all we need, another way to hear that ear gouging sound of legs snapping like a pile of sticks under a tire.

What I suggested is a very reasonable thing to add. Human ankles are quite fragile, and just having your ankle at a wrong angle (for whatever reason) when you're running on pavement can cause minor injury. One misstep on a staircase or stepping on a root and not expecting it so your ankle is relaxed can fracture it. I've seen it happen, and just 3 months ago I sprained my ankle in a similar manner.

I don't see how adding more environmental hazards to the game could be a bad thing, since there are none currently and in my suggestion I said that Zeds ability to break legs should be taken away, since it doesn't make sense for them to be able to do that. The fact that they can seems to me like a placeholder, until a better mechanic for causing fractures is implemented.

Edited by TheSodesa

We should add in a chance for your character to randomly get cancer, too, 'cause that's real life. Getting struck by lightning should be a chance, too. Why don't we add a mechanic where every once in a while your character gets a leg cramp and you just fall over until you tap your mouse buttons enough to simulate rubbing your leg. It would be totally awesome, too, if sometimes when zombies were around your character would just sneeze or accidentally drop his gun or flashlight, just to like mess with you.

Seriously, random tripping in the woods at night is a stupid idea. Has anyone ever once in this game been running a long distance across Chernarus at night and thought to themself, "hey, you know what would make the game more fun right now? If my character just started randomly falling down from time to time and maybe even breaking his leg so that I can just swear at my monitor and then turn the computer off and go play something else." I'd be willing to bet that if you asked most players to list the most boring parts of the game, one of the top activities would be running across Chernarus at night without NVG. The game play at that point pretty much involves just holding down W for fifteen minutes until you get to where you wanted to go. How does a tripping mechanic make that already boring experience any better? All it does is tell a player that instead of holding down W for fifteen minutes, he now needs to how down shift-W for forty-five minutes, otherwise he might get f'd. This game needs more engaging, and interactive gameplay, and not more tedium.

From a previous post of mine:

I would much rather have fixed objects like exposed roots in forests on the map. Running over these would always trip you over, it's just that in the dark they would be harder to spot which would make people watch their step, as in walk, when moving through dark woods. Falling over like this might have a chance of spraining your ankle. I'd like to see as many of these stupid chance procs taken out of the game as possible so I feel that this would be a more realistic way of simulating these 'random' injuries. Since implementing this feature would introduce a new way for players to break their legs or twist their ankles, the random fractures caused by Zeds pounding on you with their fists (how much sense does that make?) could be removed and the game would still feel challenging.

while we're at it, can we add that zombies only knock you unconscious if they hit you in the head? that would require that zombies hit different parts of the body, but it would be cool!

• Like 1

We should add in a chance for your character to randomly get cancer, too, 'cause that's real life. Getting struck by lightning should be a chance, too. Why don't we add a mechanic where every once in a while your character gets a leg cramp and you just fall over until you tap your mouse buttons enough to simulate rubbing your leg. It would be totally awesome, too, if sometimes when zombies were around your character would just sneeze or accidentally drop his gun or flashlight, just to like mess with you.

Seriously, random tripping in the woods at night is a stupid idea. Has anyone ever once in this game been running a long distance across Chernarus at night and thought to themself, "hey, you know what would make the game more fun right now? If my character just started randomly falling down from time to time and maybe even breaking his leg so that I can just swear at my monitor and then turn the computer off and go play something else." I'd be willing to bet that if you asked most players to list the most boring parts of the game, one of the top activities would be running across Chernarus at night without NVG. The game play at that point pretty much involves just holding down W for fifteen minutes until you get to where you wanted to go. How does a tripping mechanic make that already boring experience any better? All it does is tell a player that instead of holding down W for fifteen minutes, he now needs to how down shift-W for forty-five minutes, otherwise he might get f'd. This game needs more engaging, and interactive gameplay, and not more tedium.

that is basically asking for easy mode, and if you had a brain you would use a flashlight to keep you from tripping. or are you going to argue that you become a sniper beacon. if you're right the snipers won't be online.

that is basically asking for easy mode, and if you had a brain you would use a flashlight to keep you from tripping. or are you going to argue that you become a sniper beacon. if you're right the snipers won't be online.

Please, people need to stop with the "easy mode" nonsense. DayZ is a game. Weather or not something is "easy" or "hard" is completely secondary to weather it's fun or not fun. Random tripping or random injuries at night are simply not fun. On top of that, it's not even a proper "hard" mechanic. When it comes to adding any feature to the game, with the goal of making the game harder, you need to ask yourself some questions...

1. Does the new challenge require sufficiently complex planning, strategy, and/or reflex on the part of the player to overcome?

2. Does the new challenge involve a sufficient level of player interaction and control?

3. Is the gameplay reward for overcoming the new challenge sufficiently rewarding to the player?

4. Is the penalty for failing to overcome the new challenge appropriate when compared to the award granted for overcoming the new challenge?

5. Is the theme of the new challenge something that is engrossing and stimulates the player's imagination and desire to achieve, and does it add to the escapist nature of the game?

6. Is the new challenge occurring too often in the game so as to become repetitive?

7. Are the gameplay benefits of the new challenge worth the coding effort?

The tripping mechanic proposed in this thread fails at ALL of the above questions. It doesn't require any depth of strategy or planning to overcome. The nature of the challenge involves random negative penalties, instead of direct player interaction. The only reward for overcoming the challenge is that you don't get saddled with more down-time between the prime focus of the game. The penalty for failure is increased tedium, and in the case of possible leg breaking, there's potential for catastrophic punishment. Simulated tripping is incredibly boring thematically, and it's not going to add to an individual's desire to take a break from the real world to "escape" into the world of DayZ. The new challenge, would be present all the time and be extremely repetitive. And the coding effort that would be required to add a tripping mechanic at this point in the game is no where near the benefits (if any) that the mechanic would add to DayZ's gameplay.