Tiger205

Tents & Vehicles General

So I came up with this idea for a thread today when I was searching for information regarding tents and vehicles in DayZ and I've noticed one thing - sure, the info is all there but it's scattered around the whole General Discussion. Considering it's easier and more conveniant to have everything in one place, especially for newbies, I thought this would be a good idea. This could be even stickied if there'll be enough info and the thread is actually worthwhile.

So far I've gathered:

Regarding tents:

- a tent requires 3 inventory slots to be carried

- it can be put into a backpack when you have it in your inventory

- it is movable after you set it up however you can't pick up someone's tent

- you can have as many tents as you like

- if you move a tent without taking the items they will appear in a big pile of loot nearby where the tent originally was

- tents can hold 50 items and 10 weapons in them (Binoculars and other tools count as weapons as well) and up to 5 backpacks

- for now you have to use the "Save" command from the mouse wheel menu in order to properly save a tent although there still is a 50% chance that a server will eat your tent no matter what

- tents are tied to servers and survive server restarts

- EVERYONE can take items out of your tent

- tents actually require a bit of space to be placed at (around 3x3m)

- tents disappear after 2 days when you died - you can make a new tent after your death or reclaim items from the existing one - you can't pack it up even if you are the owner

Regarding vehicles:

- the mythical Huey does in fact exist

- Huey takes 50 jerry cans to be fully refueled

- vehicles have different fuel capacities; when refueling, the vehicle's fuel quantity is read from config, and increased by 20L

- vehicles are supposed to respawn in the same place after they were destroyed however that's not the case

- vehicles appear to be persistent after force saving with the "Save" command from mouse wheel menu however, just like with tents, there is a possibility of a server eating your vehicles along with all the items inside

- vehicles spawn on each server restart, they do not respawn however when destroyed or left somewhere

- all vehicles have storage in them (except bicycles). If you can't open it from outside, take a seat, open map, select Units and then Gear

How to repair a helicopter by Hei:

"When fixing a Huey, the only available chopper that I know of, you want to get into the pilot's seat and give a good look at the top left corner. You want everything to be green = fixed.

- First is hull, it needs scrap metal to fix. When you approach the chopper, it's called hull or body or something similar.

- Next comes the engine, you'll need engine parts to fix that. Again, should be self explanatory.

- Then you want to fix the MROT or the main rotor. For that you need to find the main rotor assembly. It's called main rotor in the menu.

- Afterwards comes the ATRQ, or the secondary rotor/vertical rotor. This is arguably the most important part to fix, for it counteracts the torque, stops it from spinning out of control. You need scrap metal to fix it. In the fixing menu, it's called the V rotor.

- Last but not least come the instruments, relatively important, depending on what difficulty level the server is in. It shows your speed, altitute, et cetera. It requires scrap metal to fix, and is called avionics(?) in the menu.

Next comes the refueling. Unlike cars which usually take 4 jerry cans to refuel to maximum, choppers require A LOT. 4 jerry cans is like a drop of piss for a chopper. I personally haven't counted, but my group easily needed more than twenty jerry cans to refuel a chopper, therefore you absolutely must bring it to a refueling point, to jerry fuel back and forth from a fuel tank, to the chopper.

That's all there is to it. Don't rely too much on the red/green text in the context menu, it's not always reliable. Always enter the pilot's seat and look at the top left for true chopper's condition."

List of vehicles:

Cars & motorcycles:

- GAZ (car), 4 player seats, ? slots in trunk

- offroad pickup, 2 player seats(?), ? slots in trunk

- pickup, 2 player seats, ? slots in trunk

- military offroad, 6 player seats(?), ? slots in trunk

- bus, 12 player seats(?), ? slots in trunk

- Lada, 4 player seats, ? slots in trunk

- ATV, 2 player seats, no storage trunk

- Volga, 4 player seats, ? slots in trunk

- Skoda (red), 4 player seats, ? slots in trunk

- motorcycle, 2 player seats, ? slots in trunk

Helicopters:

- UH-1H Huey, 8 player seats, 21 slots in trunk, 2 M240 MMGs

Boats:

- fishing boat, ? player seats, ? trunk

- PBX, ? player seats, ? trunk

- small boat, ? player seats, ? trunk

How to get gear out of a vehicle when there is no "Gear" option in the context menu:

When that happens all you have to do is enter a vehicle, open your map, go to units, if you are not selected then select yourself, click on Gear on the right upper hand side under your nickname and you will be able to take whatever you want from a vehicle, even on the move. This works with all vehicles.

And yes, you may call me Mr Tent.

Hueys now take at least 6 scrap metal, engine, main rotor, and not sure what for the instrument panel... it works but we haven't repaired it. And the Huey takes roughly 30 jerry cans to fully fill, might be more, I lost count after 4 trips of people.

Each vehicle's fuel tank is different. It takes 100-200 Jerry cans to refuel Huey for example while only 2-3 Jerry Cans to refuel ATV (Quad bike).

Vehicles should not disappear after restart, it was bug of last versions.

Can you do list of different vechiles that exist and for how many people there are seats, and if the vehicle has storage?

Like:

* GAZ(car), 4 players, no storage trunk

Thats the only one I've ever found

All vehicles have storage in them (except bicycles). If you can't open it from outside, take a seat, open map, select Units and then Gear.

Tents and vehicles seems now persistent AFTER FORCE-SAVING ( don't forget ). Tested them tonight.

Also thanks for the useless drama and ungrateful attitude in general for people paying servers for you. It's always cool.

Also thanks for the useless drama and ungrateful attitude in general for people paying servers for you. It's always cool.

:dodgy:

Regarding tents, I lost one yesterday to a server crash, respawned today though, no idea why - but the one who placed it can't pick it up any more.

Today after patch that tent and a new one disappeared, might return later will update if it does :)

Both tents had been saved

- Whitey

Updated the OP, thanks for your input. I'd still like to have more info though.

My mistake: Items are NOT deleted when tent is packed, I think I just missed them the time I tried it, they actually appear nearby in one big pile of loot.

Thanks for the correction. OP fixed. Waiting for more info.

150 jerry cans of fuel, What the fuck...

at 20L each can thats like 3,000 litres. The max tank afaik in a Huey has a 2,000litre tank. And military choppers have even less, like around 1000 litre tank.

150 jerry cans of fuel' date=' What the fuck...

at 20L each can thats like 3,000 litres. The max tank afaik in a Huey has a 2,000litre tank. And military choppers have even less, like around 1000 litre tank.

[/quote']

The UH-1's fuel capacity (without extra ferry tanks and the like) is approximately 240 US Gallons. At 5 gallons per Jerry can it should only take 48 to fill it up.

ETA: With the UH-1Y variant (so far in game I've only seen the Hotel model) the fuel capacity was increased to 380 gallons, or 76 Jerry cans. Still far less than the currently required in-game amount.

I'd like to express general appreciation here.

Tent facts were a pain in the arse to get together and it's always hard to filter superstition and subjective opinions from informations like that.

[/quote']

The UH-1's fuel capacity (without extra ferry tanks and the like) is approximately 240 US Gallons. At 5 gallons per Jerry can it should only take 48 to fill it up.

Is this 48 ArmA cans or 48 real life cans? Because that's a big difference.

Lord Frost - that's what this thread is for. I'm happy someone actually found this useful.

[/quote']

Is this 48 ArmA cans or 48 real life cans? Because that's a big difference.

Lord Frost - that's what this thread is for. I'm happy someone actually found this useful.

The jerry cans i've seen in game look like 20L real life jerry's. I dont really know if they're 20L or not. Why wouldnt they be?

Jerry cans in game are 20L

When refueling, the vehicles fuel quantity is read from config, and increased by 20L. If there is an error with the amount a jerrycan is filling, it will be associated with an error in the config for that vehicle.

Well update to my tents disappearing.

If you are patient they comeback apparently ^^ Just logged in and both tents that were gone are there again... So I'm guessing tents are kinda safe to use now :)

Note on tents inventory size

Currently got 44 items in my tent, plus three rifles (30 slots) and two pistols (10 slots). So that's 84 slots currently.

There are 25 individual types of gear in the tent.

It seems as if there isn't a limit but I'll report back if I find one :)

Okay just reached some kind of cap at around a 100 slots

- Whitey

Found a Pickup - civilian look, wasn't called offroad, only two seats, storage in back

Found a Offroad - Military look, room in front and back, maybe four seats in back, storage in back as well

- Whitey

How does tent reclaiming and death work exactly?

If I die is the tent up for grabs by anyone? I understand that if I don't reclaim it within 2 days it disappears. Is reclaiming it just the act of picking it up and dropping it again?

Okay tested tent slots some more and currently got 82 items in the tent... Special items (clock, map etc.) disappears when I try to put them in, but food and water are no problem so when I get some more tents and equipment I don't mind losing I'll test some more

- Whitey

Well multi-tents seems broken. I lost one tent like that, the first i place is still up and running, but the other one vanished.

Anyway.

How does tent reclaiming and death work exactly?

If I die is the tent up for grabs by anyone? I understand that if I don't reclaim it within 2 days it disappears. Is reclaiming it just the act of picking it up and dropping it again?

This " tents disappear after two days " thing is shit. I mean sure, they can't stay all the time, technical stuff etc... but there is an issue with that.

If you die, the tent is no more considered as " yours " meaning you can't pack it back. Meaning you need to find another tent, or have a friend with another tent.

And if you friend dies, this shit starts again and again.

And everytime you need to find another tent if the owner of the said tent die, because you can't pack it back. You or the owner ( with an awfully low percentage of 0.47, trust me, it's hard time ).

You can clearly see where the problem is, if you try to do a big camp.

Boring as hell.