Sign in to follow this  
skywalker1162

Should zombies only walk ?

This topic has probably seen a lot of debate but the more I think about , the more I wonder . The zombies are in a state of decay . If they run they would need muscles but through muscle degeneration as well as degenerative tissue how can they run as fast a fit survivor . I understand that rocket's brother is a virologist and that this might change in future patches and the standalone but I somehow doubt they can move that fast and yet have enough hitting power to break your bones . It just doesn't add up . Maybe the zombies need to move a slow jog or a brisk pace and to make it realistic . It ain't a fact just my opinion on the matter .

• Like 2

Nope. They are 'Infected' not zombies.

Plus, how boring would the game be if they only walked? They are already too easy to avoid.

• Like 4

Realistically, I suppose there has to be some suspension of belief in a game like this in the first place. From a gameplay standpoint, the zeds just need to be quick enough to pose some threat to a person on foot. I like how they are now in that I can still outrun them, but should I hang around too long, they will be on me like white on rice.

In all honestly, we dont even know what the disease could have done to them - if they have super strength, senses, etc.

Edited by Fryd Chickunz

depends. If zombies walk then zombie spawns should increase by a lot. So there are zombies EVERYWHERE! Currently we have fast zombies so there are usually only 8-10 in a area. If they walked there would be to be 30-50 in a area to compensate for slow easy to kill zombies. I personally prefer walking zombies.

As for you people who want faster and stronger zombies. NO! Zombies are NEVER super humans. Zombies in dayz should not run faster then us. At pace would be fine but they run 10x faster then us. Even in 28 days/weeks later they were not this fast. And no super senses! They already have that and it sucks! If you want super humans THEN CALL THEM SOMETHING ELSE!

Its like if I made a movie called "vampires" and the vampires were reptiles with wings that breathed fire...

Edited by harley001
  • Like 5

Plus, how boring would the game be if they only walked? They are already too easy to avoid.

Three words.

The Walking Dead.

There weren't any zombies that straight-up ran around, but it was a very intense and enjoyable game.

The bad part though, is that there couldn't be as many zombies in-world as The Walking Dead depicts.

But yes, the "zombies" are infected, not undead. Go watch the movie "28 days later" to get a somewhat similar understanding of what the zombies are supposed to be like.

Edit;

NO! Zombies are NEVER super humans. And no super senses!

Resident Evil?

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

As for you Fryd Chickunz. NO! Zombies are NEVER super humans. Zombies in dayz should not run faster then us. At pace would be fine but they run 10x faster then us. Even in 28 days/weeks later they were not this fast. And no super senses! They already have that and it sucks! If you want super humans THEN CALL THEM SOMETHING ELSE!

Not saying that's what I want - quite the opposite. Just using an different view to illustrate my point, my good man. Sometimes I wonder though, those guys can scare the bejesus out of me coming and busting through closed doors.

• Like 1

so they are infected but are not undead ?? then explain the rotting skin on their bodies ?? if they were merely infected then maybe they should look like us also. The rotting skin suggest decay of the body which should not allow them to run that fast anyways . And yeah they should compensate by adding more zombies with a slight damage increase .

• Like 1

Not saying that's what I want - quite the opposite. Just using an different view to illustrate my point, my good man. Sometimes I wonder though, those guys can scare the bejesus out of me coming and busting through closed doors.

Ah. I will change it so it says people who want zombies to be buffed in general.

• Like 1

depends. If zombies walk then zombie spawns should increase by a lot. So there are zombies EVERYWHERE! Currently we have fast zombies so there are usually only 8-10 in a area. If they walked there would be to be 30-50 in a area to compensate for slow easy to kill zombies. I personally prefer walking zombies.

As for you Fryd Chickunz. NO! Zombies are NEVER super humans. Zombies in dayz should not run faster then us. At pace would be fine but they run 10x faster then us. Even in 28 days/weeks later they were not this fast. And no super senses! They already have that and it sucks! If you want super humans THEN CALL THEM SOMETHING ELSE!

Its like if I made a movie called "vampires" and the vampires were reptiles with wings that breathed fire...

8-10? What servers you been playing on? Only time I've had less than a dozen on my ass is if I play the standard map.. Lingor, Panthera, Namalsk? One shot from an m16 or an enfield and my kill count is a guaranteed 30+. Especially the last week or so. Don't know what it is, but all the walkers have gone screwy on most servers. I can be on the second floor of a building, crouching, in walk, on carpet and I take one step and it creates an endless loop of spawning zombies that all flock right to wherever I am that they shouldn't be able to see or hear me.

As for speed, I'm fine with either the fast or slow, or perhaps a healthy mix of the two. In any rate the zombies need to be reworked one way or the other, and they need to be less glitchy. It looks like the animations and all were scripted and designed for slow zombies, and then they just sped them up. What you end up with is a spazoid, flailing, glitchy pile of meat that's impossible to shoot while it's charging at you, not because it's moving to fast, but because it's just flailing and jerking to the left and right every two steps. It's the same reason that the Chiefs still have a football team. Sure they have all the organization of a bunch down-syndrome double-amputees, set on fire and fed gallons of pcp, which makes them pretty ineffective, but you just can't get them to hold still long enough for a clean shot until they're chewing on your face.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't care if they are fast or slow, as long as they have a decent enough animation to make them properly fightable

• Like 1

If you look on rockets twitter a while back he stated zombies were chasing him indoors.

so I think this whole walking thing is a tad uninformed,

so they are infected but are not undead ?? then explain the rotting skin on their bodies ?? if they were merely infected then maybe they should look like us also. The rotting skin suggest decay of the body which should not allow them to run that fast anyways . And yeah they should compensate by adding more zombies with a slight damage increase .

http://puu.sh/1Q250

http://puu.sh/1Q25U

http://puu.sh/1Q25r

http://puu.sh/1Q26H

http://puu.sh/1Q269

A fore-warning to anyone reading this:

If you have a weak stomach, it's advised not to click on the later(3rd-5th) links in the list above.

Those are examples(pictures) of various skin diseases. These people are very much alive, and not rotting.

The zombies are infected, and there are a lot of things in the real world, right now, that will turn you into a "zombie" by your looks.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

It would make this game even easier than it's now. Currently everyone advises to just run and not giving a fuck about the zombies. I guess that's a good advice, because that's literally all you have to do, so you could avoid zombies.

Maybe you're not looking at the right game if you want to kill survivors and ignore zombies, or then I'm the only one who wants a challenge, not a deathmatch with hunger and thirst.

Edited by Sutinen

It would make this game even easier than it's now. Currently everyone advises to just run and not giving a fuck about the zombies. I guess that's a good advice, because that's literally all you have to do, so you could avoid zombies.

Maybe you're not looking at the right game if you want to kill survivors and ignore zombies, or then I'm the only one who wants a challenge, not a deathmatch with hunger and thirst.

Personally, I don't care how many zombies there are or how fast they move, or even if they are undead or just some sort of infection. I just want to be able to fight them without them already being on me and eating me, or completely unaware of my presence. Either fast or slow, zombies and infected (See 28X laters) work on basic instinct and motor function. They will follow a pretty direct route to get to you (IE charge straight at you). What we have though is something that moves fast, and ducks and weaves like it's trying not to hit a branch on his speeder bike.

Personally, I don't care how many zombies there are or how fast they move, or even if they are undead or just some sort of infection. I just want to be able to fight them without them already being on me and eating me, or completely unaware of my presence. Either fast or slow, zombies and infected (See 28X laters) work on basic instinct and motor function. They will follow a pretty direct route to get to you (IE charge straight at you). What we have though is something that moves fast, and ducks and weaves like it's trying not to hit a branch on his speeder bike.

Actually, killing zombies currently is pretty easy. Run backwards and wait until they try to attack you and they miss. Then you got 2 seconds to shoot them in the head.

And sometimes, when they are 20+ meters away from you, they run completely straight.

Edited by Sutinen

what somehow lacks , is a proper description of infection we're dealing with.

Many Infections untreated, most likely lead to a mortal danger. So physical and mental conditions"The Infected" will ultimately degrade over time leading to their death. So it seems plausible to me that there are (newly infected) pretty fast, sidestepping versions and naturally more disabled ones that just walk around like in "The walking dead".

Therefore the superhuman aspect should also be wiped off completely.

Senses may be afflicted more over time, pain receptors become blunt... it would make sense to pack things like these into the infection-system to notice actual signs of infection.

What boggles me, are they treatable? Is there a incubation time where you can still cure yourself? IS there a secret cure implemented ;)?!

Considering some basic things, i think the npc reflect a quite "believable" behaviour.

can someone please tell me what is the difference between the "infected" and zombies? zombies are former humans that try to eat normal humans. so what is the difference if they are "infected"?

There are other zombie mods for Arma2 where they dont run at you, go try them. Thats the beauty of Arma2, theres something for everyone.

I think it should be a mix of fast, slow etc I think would be really good.. just NEEDS MOAR ZOMBIES

can someone please tell me what is the difference between the "infected" and zombies? zombies are former humans that try to eat normal humans. so what is the difference if they are "infected"?

A zombie, in the movie sense, is a dead body that has been reanimated through any means (A virus, ritual, curse, no more room in hell, etc)

The infected (This would be 28 days/weeks later) Are humans infected with a disease that basically gives them the appearance and mannerisms of a zombie, but they are, for all intents and purposes, still alive. they may not think above base instincts and needs any longer, and typically move faster (Lack of rigor mortis that would be found in the undead), but really can be killed by anyhting that would kill a normal human (remove all the oxygen from the room, dead. Shoot them in the heart or cut a major artery, they'll bleed to death eventually). Best example of this is the end of 28 days later, and really the whole foundation of 28 weeks later. They retook London not because they had an army going building to building to kill everything that moved, but because they waited several months and let most of the infected starve to death, then went building to building killing anything that wasn't quite dead.

Edit: Another example of the infected would be the creatures from 'I am Legend'. They're considered infected as well, but are more like vampires than zombies. In the book they were a lot more like vampires, and many of them had human level intelligence. I'd really recommend picking up the book. Don't wanna give anything away, but it actually explains what the fuck name of the movie meant. (He was Legend for completely different reasons)

Edited by Westerburg

Ok true they may have been infected and for all purposes might still be alive but then its the AI that needs work and run straight at you . I always assumed a zombie is a dead person who was reanimated and which is why they can't run . I have not seen 28 days later but since everyone mentioned I have already set it up for download . The problem is that since zombies don't actually exist there are many different concepts for them . They can run and they can walk . Maybe this game needs more zombies and more varieties of them . If they do run indoors now in the SA , then let me say this . We are DOOMED .

Naw...the undead typically shamble slowly typically because they may be animated, but they are dead. They don't need to eat to survive, they eat because they are driven to. They can't digest the food and it sits and rots and festers. They move slow because of natural decay processes. A 'fresher' zombie would be able to move a lot more easily than an older one. If you want to go into the super cheesy (The return of the living dead series, which is like a spinnoff series of the original 'Night of the living dead' and 'of the dead' movies). One of the zombies they capture actually explains to them why they need to eat brains. Not for food, but for the electrical impulses in the brain itself. Appearently being a zombie is extremely painful (rigor mortis), and the electrical impulses in the human brain was the only thing that seemed to quell the pain (At first, by the third movie the main character starts excessive body piercing and mutilation in order to keep herself focused and not eat her boyfriend)

Ok true they may have been infected and for all purposes might still be alive but then its the AI that needs work and run straight at you . I always assumed a zombie is a dead person who was reanimated and which is why they can't run . I have not seen 28 days later but since everyone mentioned I have already set it up for download . The problem is that since zombies don't actually exist there are many different concepts for them . They can run and they can walk . Maybe this game needs more zombies and more varieties of them . If they do run indoors now in the SA , then let me say this . We are DOOMED .

You aren't doomed, you need to learn how to sneak. You're not supposed to run around.

You aren't doomed, you need to learn how to sneak. You're not supposed to run around.

Yeah for the first week or so I just used to stay prone and crawl through town . Now that I have acquired all A grade weapons I guess I forgot that kinda stuff .

Well a 'zombie' is mutated, it could have been given super-human abilities like in I am Legend (they weren't zombies but I like to relate to them)

Ideally I would like zombies to walk in straight lines. They shouldn't be able to inflict too much damage but should be slightly harder to kill. The payoff is there needs to be swarms of them. So many in fact that once you go into cherno, you could struggle to get out without most routes being blocked by them.

Unfortunately this isn't really possible. So many zombies would bring the server to a grinding halt.