HamHamm

As a new player, This mod is so difficult its un-playable.

No what happens is all the "run and gun" type players' date=' get weapons and camp known spawns and just kill people while they are defenceless.

[/quote']

Prone, crawl, and stay away from cities.. same as it's always been.. a makarov is not going to help you survive spawning in a crappy server populated by cod asshats.

They are not "going away" they are getting so much joy out of making others game experience a "bad" one .

They will' date=' but you need to give it time.. When a new office block is constructed, the insurance company will factor in a premium, to cover the breaking of windows, inside a certain time frame, from idiot kids in local area.. after a certain time, they stop because they get bored.. it's cause and effect..

I love the "Not the game for you" and those type responses, as if they are the spokes people for the game lol, who appointed them this ? (no-one I'd wager), so they're partaking of this "sense of entitlement" that they are so keen to point out in others, and much worse so as they are actually telling other players to leave....

I'd love this to be the mod for everybody, but you can't please all the people all the time.. Sometimes, you might just have to say, 'This isn't my cup of tea', in which case, thank you for time spent here, and we hope to see you in another universe, at some time in the future.. (I agree that some people can't articulate a goodbye to comunity members, that don't like the mod, but it doesn't help when those leaving members shout 'FUCK YOU THIS IS FUCKING WANK BECAUSE I DONT LIEK IT FFS ONE!!!1').

A lot of the "realism" in this game is the kind that works against you as a player. All the type of "realism" that would benefit the player just is not there.

I'm all for realism' date=' it's great, but it has to be both ways, like for instance, sure I need matches and wood to light a fire, but do I really need a hunting knife to butcher an animal for food ? - pretty sure the trusty hatchet would do the job to hack off some meat and cook it.

And the starting area, ok, don't start with a gun, but surely you could get some stick type weapons / at least be able to punch someone (difficult considering the ArmaII engine does not have melee), things like that, and bags in water.... are you backpacks really going to just "dissolve" ?

[/quote']

Right, this is where we get back to the alpha argument.. a lot of what you say is not realistic, and a lot does not make sense, but this is what the alpha is for.. to find out what does work and what doesn't.. to find one thing that doesn't and do the above 'FFS IM LEAVING THIS PIECE OF SHIT', does not advance the mod in any way.. it just makes you look like a tool..

I would wager that many of the "hardcore" crowd are the ones running around with brightness and gamma turned all the way up . . . .

Right I'm going to stop this critique, on this point right here, becasue you obviously have no idea what people that consider themselves 'HC' with Arma2, actually bother to go through, to make sure they ARE 'HC' .. I'm not; I won't claim to be, but I won't bother fiddling with gamma settings to make it easier... the people that you consider HC, if they fiddle with the gamma, are not 'HC' (your definition), and your petty insinuation, that they do, will not earn you any favours, even from myself, and I am absolutly NOT Arma2 HC..

The realism is coming, but, since this is an alpha test, you have to keep playing to make your voice heard, not throw your toys out of the pram when it bites you on the ass.

There are two main schools of thought surrounding this debate.

You have on the one end, people that find fault with others that want aspects of "realism", and say that these people are hurting the game's playability. Thus wanting to make the game more forgiving.

Conversely, you have people touting realism as the objective of the mod and an expression of the spirit of the mod. These people often neglect to see the whole picture, but are nevertheless expressing a more correct view of the mod (in my opinion).

I'm more from the school of thought of, making the mod more difficult and giving the player fewer crutches to stand on is what MAKES this mod so unique. If we make everything revolve solely around playability and "gameyness", then we lose sight of the true spirit of Day Z as a realistic depiction of the zombie apocalypse as it were. Furthermore, we betray the simulator roots of the mod in general by watering down ARMA 2.

Where there is little being done, is in the realm of prudence. Obviously, because someone wants an -aspect- of realism, doesn't mean that they want the game to be wholesale realistic. I doubt, besides a few trolls and idiot-faced realism junkies, anyone wants to have bowel movements and sexual urges to fulfill.

Nobody is seeking to find a fusion or synthesis between playability and realism, which can be sought. But most people are either in one camp or the other, there is no middle ground.

However, I will say this, people need to stop taking the approach of "This isn't the way I like it, so let's change it". Instead, they need to weigh the empirical consequences of in-game mechanics and judge them based on whether they add something to the game.

I don't like having hunger and thirst, but it adds something to my experience when I have to forage for food and drink. Things that are difficult, risky, and things that are often irritating are what makes life interesting and rewarding. Things like spawning without a weapon add something to the mod, they add a different aspect.

I personally could care less if you spawn with a Makarov, or nothing. To be honest, Day Z isn't going to be -your- mod. Sure, we as a community may determine certain things, but one must consider the objectives of the mod and the spirit of the mod before considering personal preferences.

Don't know why this feature was implemented because I haven't heard of anyone complaining about starting with a weapon.

Not to mention that for me' date=' coming from England, this is more realistic because noone here owns a firearm :P. I also like the fact that it removes the chance of someone coming to get revenge on you after you killed them, since they don't start with a gun.

[/quote']

Not starting with a gun doesn't remove the chances of revenge....now I just sprint through a pack of zombies, find you, then run laps around you as you waste ammo shooting at us. Later, I come back and loot your corpse. Not very realistic, but that is what I have been reduced too since I have been shot for no reason so many times. Seriously, what is the deal with every one shooting unarmed people? 19/20 times of running into someone while I'm unarmed today I was shot. I even made it super obvious I meant no harm. Stood up, slowly spun in a circle( its what I make people do in real life to check for weapons), purposely avoid weapons in the room...still, they open fire.

Don't know why this feature was implemented because I haven't heard of anyone complaining about starting with a weapon.

Not to mention that for me' date=' coming from England, this is more realistic because noone here owns a firearm :P. I also like the fact that it removes the chance of someone coming to get revenge on you after you killed them, since they don't start with a gun.

[/quote']

Not starting with a gun doesn't remove the chances of revenge....now I just sprint through a pack of zombies, find you, then run laps around you as you waste ammo shooting at us. Later, I come back and loot your corpse. Not very realistic, but that is what I have been reduced too since I have been shot for no reason so many times. Seriously, what is the deal with every one shooting unarmed people? 19/20 times of running into someone while I'm unarmed today I was shot. I even made it super obvious I meant no harm. Stood up, slowly spun in a circle( its what I make people do in real life to check for weapons), purposely avoid weapons in the room...still, they open fire.

Shooting unarmed people gets you more loot. Earlier I was raiding the deer stands out side of Balota. And if someone approached while I was there I shot them on site to prevent them from taking anything useful from me. It's as simple as that, at least for me. And sometimes you get lucky and that unarmed guy might have something useful tools, medical supplies or ammo I might need.

[/quote']

Shooting unarmed people gets you more loot. Earlier I was raiding the deer stands out side of Balota. And if someone approached while I was there I shot them on site to prevent them from taking anything useful from me. It's as simple as that, at least for me. And sometimes you get lucky and that unarmed guy might have something useful tools, medical supplies or ammo I might need.

Ah I see...well I'll remember that next time I am chasing you down with my friends( pack of 50 zombies :)). Hope all the ammo and med suppplies you use fighting us was worth the one bandage i had when you shot me. Lol. All you had to say was " give me all your stuff and piss off if you want to live." I would have been fine with that. Honestly people who let me get that close to them should shoot themselves for letting their guard down. I could make better use of their supplies anyways. Now they are just going to die alone by the next guy who isn't as nice as me with a gun.

Annnnd, for all the above posting, I alt-tab out to check in with a TS server.. and alt-tab back in to a bullet in the back of the head..

The guy that got me has some nice stuff tho.. all tools, map, compass, tool kit, etc.. everything you could want. and he likes the barns to the west of the NE airfield, on 'Sacred Warriors'.. might want to check around there for some tents etc :)

And guess what, 1 hour later, I have a primary, some tools, am 1/2 way to a nice loot point, in - out inside 15 mins should give me everything I had before....

I still don't see what the fuss is about (I did have to zig-zag up a few hills to loose a few zed's), but.. meh.. it wasn't an epic panic..

So, no starting equipment? Doesn't really make any difference, apart from focing people off the coast..

Annnnd' date=' for all the above posting, I alt-tab out to check in with a TS server.. and alt-tab back in to a bullet in the back of the head..

The guy that got me has some nice stuff tho.. all tools, map, compass, tool kit, etc.. everything you could want. and he likes the barns to the west of the NE airfield, on 'Sacred Warriors'.. might want to check around there for some tents etc :)

And guess what, 1 hour later, I have a primary, some tools, am 1/2 way to a nice loot point, in - out inside 15 mins should give me everything I had before....

I still don't see what the fuss is about (I did have to zig-zag up a few hills to loose a few zed's), but.. meh.. it wasn't an epic panic..

So, no starting equipment? Doesn't really make any difference, apart from focing people off the coast..

[/quote']

I was digging the game last week. Now it is nearly impossible to find any sort of weapon before being eaten by zombies.

The inventory system is a big learning curve that many players will not even live long enough to figure out before quitting in frustration.

Is a new player really expected to run full speed around a map loaded with fake buildings that you can easily die trying to enter, and check a bunch of locations they don't yet know, for items they don't yet know how to manage, in order to fend off a train of zombies they don't yet know how to fight, using weapons they don't yet know how to use, IF they are lucky enough to find one?

Never being able to find a daytime server with a ping of under 300 is also problem, as total lack of visibility at night makes the aforementioned learning curve approach the asymptotic.

If you want to really make the game difficult to play, why not just make the launcher crash?

I started with ... 1.5 or 1.6 i think. Was hard to play. Work got more, less time to play ... started again with new Version.

Login -> No AIM at all? Where is the Aiming Cross? Removed? That sucks, but okay, at least i should be able to use the iron-view ... but how can i use the iron-view? Could anyone tell me please? i already tried to ask ingame, but no one responses @all

Died -> respawned with NO Weapon.

Why isn't there at least SOME KIND of Melee Weapon? No Weapon really sucks.

When you want new Players and want the mod to rise in public like it did some weeks ago, you maybe rethink that newest change ...

just my opinion...

Thanks for the tips guys, I was also wondering about the "missing" pistol, guess I'll be crawling on my gut and heading North or nearest Barn in the land where FEAR RULES!

Honestly, the newest patch isn't hard as long as you take your time and are slow. Remember you can use axes as a viable weapon when you don't have one or are out of ammo. Once you learn how to use the axe, it is a good weapon to be honest. Just be quiet and travel in packs and always have morphine!

Just started playing the game today and I'm not the least bit put-off by not starting with a weapon. I found the sense of vulnerability very refreshing in a world where our games tend to load our trousers with no less than ten high-powered rifles, shotguns, hand-cannons, and explosives.

Honestly, the best weapon in the game for dropping zombies is the Hatchet, if I'm not mistaken. Silence is precious when a stray gunshot attracts the scope of every trigger-happy sniper within a mile (not to mention any zombie in the immediate area). No ammo to take up space. Just funnel your zombies in a hallway and start hacking!

Steam: PandaSandwich!

Status: Friendly(ish) - You can't be too careful with strangers...

Add me to buddy up!

I just started this game. I just loot one of the big cities in the beginning, then head north for the rest of that guys life. I found that the hatchet is a huge help though, I must have killed 100 zombies with that thing by now (that was an exaggeration,in case you didn't get it) I'm new, and this isn't unplayable. My only problem at the moment is finding ammo for some of the guns, but the revolver can get me out of most tight situations, so I don't really find that troubling.

Okay so now an update. I just went all the way north to Berezino in the north. Started in Solnichny and moved east to Dolina' date=' then north to the factory and then to southern edge of Berezino. That entire trip I did not find ANYTHING other than empty cans, empty bottles, and other trash, I've checked basically every building that was highlighted on the map on dayzmap.info and still didn't find crap. Did they remove item spawns too? because this is ridiculous. I was able to dodge countless zombies and finally got killed in Berezino. Is this fun? running around with nothing to defend yourself for hours on end.

[hr']

Am I doing something wrong? is this odd to not find anything for that long of a search? I don't know. It seems wrong to me.

Probably a combinatin of "doing it wrong" and bad luck with loot already been taken or bad spawns.

Lemme give you a hand:

- Firs priority grab preferably a hatchet or a crowbar from most any industrial building, this will be your stealthy weapon from now on

- Hunting stands always will have something interesting to loot as in weapons and ammo, but for food you are best off visiting the salmon or redbrick coloured two story buildings

- Before you have any valuable possessions, make a run to the hospital for some morphine

- Barns with 2 stairs left & right plus stables are always worth a look as well.

If you do that you will usually end of with enough food, drinks and some kind of primary weapon to at least make it to the next supermarket-town without trouble.

To me it seems you don't have your priorities right and a spell of bad luck in-between.

This mod is very unforgiving. It has an insanely steep learning curve and, just like real life, you have to balance luck with skill and patience.

One of the things people like to do after they just spawn is to get to one of 2 cities, Cherno or Electro. These cities are so huge that there will almost definitely be some good gear left in them.

Cherno is larger so I prefer to just head to Cherno. There are 'routes' you can take through the city that help minimize your chances of meeting bandits, but your safety can never be guaranteed.

The good news is, once you've collected some essential gear from the city, you can start heading inland and it'll seem much easier to survive then.

The mod used to give everybody guns at spawn, but it was removed a while ago.

This mod is actually easy.

Run in town, grab your gear, run out north.

I actually managed to find PDW and AKM in two minutes after spawning.

And I've only played for a week so far. I had 3 days old character (With about 25-30 hours of playing), and just suicided, I had all good gear and it was boring.

Guess I'm just pro? But it can't be that hard.

And here are some tips for starters:

- Get a friend to play with, you won't live long without one. He's the one giving you the blood transfer.

- You need morphine, something to drink, food, few bags of blood.

- Fuck the sneaking in the start, run and grab your gear. Just be quick.

- Getting killed by a bandit? Well, you just lost your 5 minutes old character, better luck next time.

- Loot deer stands and helicopter crash sites.

- NW Airfield is usually empty, even though there are stories of some bandits. If you need good gear, go there.

I recommend finishing all single player missions to grasp the basics of this game.

also It's so damn fun.

this si why the game is good. every life you get a bit better, but its gonna take you a lot of hours to be decent.

i've spent 140 hours so far playing, and now i can keep a character alive for longer then a week. it takes me less then an hour to be a fully euqiped guy with a 20 slot backpack, automatic weapon, a pistol and hunting gear.

keep playing, don't think of death as a defeat, its a vital part of the game. you will improve, and the game will give ou back more and more.

thats why the learning curve is great, so the rewards you get from playing happen the longer you play. if the game was easy, you would not feel the same satisfaction for a long time.

i think they need to give the mak back just only 2 clips to start, at least then if you bump into one zombie, you don't have to sprint past 20 more to break line of sight with 1

i think they need to give the mak back just only 2 clips to start' date=' at least then if you bump into one zombie, you don't have to sprint past 20 more to break line of sight with 1

[/quote']

nope. the mkarov was removed so the new players who have nothing to lose, dont go all out on people who actually have loot.

if you have guaranteed 2 clips on a weapon+ clips spawn everywhere anyways, your life isn't worth anything, so you will atack anyone on sight.

if you bump into zombies, its your fault, and you should face the consequences.

Join a server with a lower difficulty' date=' da-derp :P

[/quote']

Still can be quite confusing - the server tags aren't always correct, i've also seen "Veteran" servers with 3DP on (although it said 3DP:0) and nametags etc. Almost every server has a different configuration which leads to lots of oddity.

I really wish there was a server ruleset for DayZ. Currently you can get 7-8 different flavours of difficulty depending on how the server admin thinks its cool to play the mod.

Of course the admin is paying for the hosting and has a right to choose his own flavour, I'm just missing some kind of minimum standardized playing experience, servers that do not follow should not be listed like official servers.

The part of being killed by zombies , players and not being able to find anything is part of this mod , you'll have to experience those things if you want to improve.

Good Luck.