HamHamm

As a new player, This mod is so difficult its un-playable.

Yes, the things you mentioned are pretty bad except for one thing. The inventory system is one of the best in all of the games I have ever played. It's difficult to get the hang of at first, but once it makes sense it allows for a lot more freedom than most. The only two problems with the inventory system I see is the automatic drop of ammo that doesn't fit whatever you just picked up, and the inability to drop things from the backpack directly on the ground without using a middle-man such as dropping an item first so that it now acts as a loot pile.

If you're someone who has been alive for the last few days and haven't had the experience of spawning with no weapon, you simply do not have the perspective to argue against the difficulty of first 45-60 mins of game. Provided you get that far.

The beginning is rough. Worse, it doesn't negate the bean warrior attitude. If anything it amplifies it, since now bean hunters will ruthlessly kill fresh players knowing full well that they have nothing of value on them. They know they can't be opposed, there is no recourse for the fresh player; no way to defend him/herself

I witnessed this first-hand. After being killed 3 times in succession by armed survivors who could plainly see I was not armed. They did it just because they could. I do not oppose this in principle. I oppose the idea that they could do this without any contest from me.

EDIT: Threads merged.

Yep it is tough but i love how tough it is! How many environments do you get to compete in against so many tough or ruthless gits. You do get cases of well dayz humanity too of course.

Im a noob, but i find avoiding the areas most players frequent, or cautiousness can save the day!

Good luck!

If you're someone who has been alive for the last few days and haven't had the experience of spawning with no weapon' date=' you simply do not have the perspective to argue against the difficulty of first 45-60 mins of game. Provided you get that far.

The beginning is rough. Worse, it doesn't negate the bean warrior attitude. If anything it amplifies it, since now bean hunters will ruthlessly kill fresh players knowing full well that they have nothing of value on them. They know they can't be opposed, there is no recourse for the fresh player; no way to defend him/herself

I witnessed this first-hand. After being killed 3 times in succession by armed survivors who could plainly see I was not armed. They did it just because they could. I do not oppose this in principle. I oppose the idea that they could do this without any contest from me.

EDIT: Threads merged.

[/quote']

And at the same time, every time I play I find many more people than before who are willing to let me live, help me out and possibly even group up with me simply because I don't have the ability to shoot them. They give me the chance to approach them and communicate. So far, I have not once been killed while unarmed at the beach. Only when I've been in a silly mood and run into Elektro or Cherno!

I'm finding it difficult as well, but I think I started at the worst time for a lot of reasons.

I started off at night, first off (with a flash light that only turns on or off half the time, for whatever reason).

I actually haven't died yet, but that's because I'm starting to think I might have overemphasized in my head how important stealth is.

I was more or less under the impression that you can't draw zombie aggro ever if you don't have a gun, and of the three towns I've been to so far, there hasn't been less than 15 zombies in any of them.

This has sort of led to me not approaching them at all because I can't see anything, am afraid to turn on my flashlight and have no means of defending myself if they breach my line of site.

I suppose I'm going to have to learn to be a little more aggressive with the trying and the dying.

Haven't drawn any zombie aggro yet in this game, but the only things I've looted were two newbie corpses with extra flashlights/painkillers/bandages, and I'm pretty sure I'm about to get my first death regardless (dehydration)

As a new player ( i joined at the patch where they removed the starter pistol) I love this game. the vastness of the world. the fact that your only limitations are yourself, it is everything i have always wanted in a zombie shooter survival game. I do however have a few things I find irritating/annoying/unfair/don't make sense.

1.) Zombie run speed is ridiculous. Not every zombie is a Kenyan olympic sprinter, and none, if any, would be totally undamaged to even make that speed. (example; someone gets bitten in the leg and then turns. that wound would still affect zombified person.)

2.) I'm no where near the roleplayer I've encountered in games but I do like it when there is SOME storyline behind everything. WHY is the player near the shore? How did they get there? How are they alive with NO weapon, even a melee?

3.) When I am being chased I look for ladders, stairs, closeable doors, as a way to at LEAST slow their advance. Ladders are nice cuz I have only ever encountered ONE zombie that knew how to climb. Stairs slow them down giving me time to find an exit or to hide. Doors however seem to only exist for players. I'm tired of closing a door only to watch as a zombie walk right through it like it wasnt even there.

4.) The spawning of zombies is hella annoying. I walk into a town and only see a handful of zombies. i look left, then right and when i sweep back left there are 10 more zombies that werent there before. also they are spawning VERY close sometimes. Also clearing out an area doesnt last long either. Minecraft did it rather well imo. creeps only spawn a certain radius away from the player and in certain conditions (nighttime). I'm not saying limit the sprinting dead to night spawning but It would be nice to be able to clear out an area and not have to worry about it repopulating in 5 minutes. It would make for groups "owning" a territory MUCH more dynamic.

I know it sounds like I'm whining but really I am not. I LOVE this mod and enjoy it greatly. I would piss myself with joy at the mere mention of DayZ if some of these issues were addressed in the coming days. I understand the Arma 2 engine is a finicky wench that is hard to tame.

I'm finding it difficult as well' date=' but I think I started at the worst time for a lot of reasons.

I started off at night, first off (with a flash light that only turns on or off half the time, for whatever reason).

I actually haven't died yet, but that's because I'm starting to think I might have overemphasized in my head how important stealth is.

I was more or less under the impression that you can't draw zombie aggro ever if you don't have a gun, and of the three towns I've been to so far, there hasn't been less than 15 zombies in any of them.

This has sort of led to me not approaching them at all because I can't see anything, am afraid to turn on my flashlight and have no means of defending myself if they breach my line of site.

I suppose I'm going to have to learn to be a little more aggressive with the trying and the dying.

Haven't drawn any zombie aggro yet in this game, but the only things I've looted were two newbie corpses with extra flashlights/painkillers/bandages, and I'm pretty sure I'm about to get my first death regardless (dehydration)

[/quote']

The flashlight doesn't actually piss zombies off! Only players!

I've been playing games since the NES. I host live-streams of DayZ and play for hours at a time (11 hours was the last livestream) I play with 5 other players and we hold our own pretty well.... Until the new update. We did a live-stream last night for 6 hours and got nowhere. We went to the armory/editor and messed around in there for the remainder of the stream..we felt that Rocket is taking the game way too far. It's NEVER going to be realistic..it never was realistic..it's unbearibly difficult and frustrating now. I know there are people on here who have nothing to do in their life but play games for days on end.....but for most of us...we can't be sneaking for an hour to a small town, only to be killed because the game is just insanely unforgiving...the mod needs options to cater to other players....I love this game so much I wanted to do weekly live-streams but it's borderline unplayable right now.

It went from fun to a frustrating mess. The more you tinker with it the worse it gets. Decisions like spawning with no weapon or making zombies aggrivated from an even further distance even while prone...are decisions that change the game ENTIRELY. The game was balanced enough before where you could roll out with your squad, maintain for a while, sneak by zombies into big cities...now it's just a mess...

I really hope the game becomes more playable in the future for most players.

lol problem is I think the dev's are listening to much to some people on this forum rather than developing the game as they see fit. It happens with all good games. Take for example BF2. It was a great game when it was released. Sure' date=' it wasnt perfect, and it did need a patch to fix a few minor issues but all in all it was a great game. But as the dev's listened to the 'community' they released more patches to fix shit but they had to nerf stuff and 'balance' shit and slowly but surely they fucked it up to the point no-one wanted to play it anymore.

Its like I read somewhere here that they decided to remove weapons from your original kit to make things more challenging, and that 'most people' here voted for it. Thing is I don't recall seeing a vote on it so who are these 'most people'? Are they people that just happened to be on the forums when the question was raised? Are they people with multiple accounts that voted multiple times for it? Polls can be rigged just like elections can in real life. Like my previous example with BF2, apparently 'most people' voted for the US jets to be nerfed because they were too powerful against the MIG's and then the balance went the other way to the point no-one wanted to fly a US jet though in my opinion they were fine left alone as they were. And most people I spoke to were of the same opinion they were fine as they were so who were these people that voted for the nerf?

[/quote']

What a load of rubbish. Can you even get any more hypocritical?

Firstly, BF2 was broken beyond belief at the start and it took quite a few patches to become a great game. Secondly, this "no one wanted to play anymore" say's who? who is "no one" because people STILL play it now, quite a lot of people. YOU might not have wanted to, but you are not the mass.

Then you complain about the voting and how it can be rigged, and who is "most people" yet a sentence later, say that "most people" YOU'VE spoken to are of the same opinion as you. Ironic that, but I'm sure you didn't listen to/don't remember those who had a different opinion. However, to the point, I'm sure the dev's aren't going to do a poll and suddenly change the game their trying to get good and go against what everyone wants. Their "most people" influence is almost guaranteed to be a huge sight more than your influence of most people.

And then you go on more about how "no one" wanted to fly US jets in BF2. No one =/= you. Firstly, you're not everyone, you don't speak for everyone and you only have one (singular) opinion, yours, I wanted to, I loved the US jets, so there goes your argument. Secondly, this isn't BF2.

As a new player doing some forum research before trying this game out (I don't own Arma 2), this thread is rather discouraging. I think it saved me some time though....

So First of all my friend suggested I pick this mod up and try it as he has been having a blast with it!

So after tinkering around' date=' and missing a new patch (patch updates 10 minutes after I download 1.7.1.) Get on finally and see no gun. all I have are bandages and pain pills. Okay cool that just means I have to find them.

Well first time through, I get over to a building after much running, and get swarmed by zombies and die before I get close to it at all.

Alright, Fine. So I wasn't being stealthy enough. got it, Re-spawn

Now I'm sort of near a town and I move in semi crouched and am dodging a good number of zombies, trying to meet up with my friend. Check a few places, most I find is empty bottles and cans. after a few empty stashes I run into another player and get shot at immediately and Die.

Okay cool, players instantly think everyone is bad, even when they have no gun. Got it, Re-spawn.

I then go through about 10 deaths of me looking around for ANYTHING and finding absolutely nothing anywhere I look and either getting killed by Hordes of zombies or people just killing me.

I'm all for the whole hardcore vibe it gives off, but at least give us some sort of defense early on. as it is right now there's no way for a new player to get a feel for the actual "survival" part of the game. My suggestion is up the drop rate of some weapons near the coastal buildings, or start off with a gun and maybe only 1 clip of ammo.

[/quote']

If you happen to find yourself on one of the CQF servers (EU24, EU 25, US20, US21) I'm sure an experienced CQF member could help you out and give you a few pointers. In my experience, a big part of getting geared and surviving is knowing where to go to gather gear (relatively) safely. Even if you don't wind up with a guided tour, I would recommend printing off a road and loot map of Chernarus, and learning how to navigate with it. Figure out how to get to the central/north-western cities like Zelenogorsk, Pustoshka, and Vybor (supermarkets in all three). Or, learn how to get to Berezino - a rather diverse wealth of gear to be had there, usually. Learn how to get to these places quickly, so you don't have to spend much time on the coast. All I can think of for now.

-{CQF}PV2 Bee

I made it for two hours without a gun then found a hatchet and a AK 47

i dont get why people keep complaining it is too hard... i just respawned and found a lee enfield on the first barn i visited.. :s

dont be a little kid and put your pants on...

As of 1.7.1.5 the loot tables seemed fixed to me (as in food/water/weapons ect. spawned in as normal).

The flashlight doesn't aggro the zombies (which I take advantage of, but still think should cause them to at least walk towards you). It's the players watching for flashlights that you have to worry about. In a meta-game sense, there were only about 5 to 10 players in the whole server when I was playing.

It was night time and I wanted to see if I could navigate through chernogorsk or electrozavodsk in the pitch darkness. Long story short, no I couldn't. It could have been due to my impatience. When you cross the threshold of many buildings crawling, you stand bolt upright. I blame that. I've taken to going crouched when crossing the doorways now.

The game changes dramatically when it is night time. The sense of accomplishment from patience and feeling paranoid in the dark really outweighs that of day-time survival. Daytime for your casual bandits, night time is for the zombies.

I'll have to be honest, It is so frustrating, that I'd rather just sleep till daytime, or equip myself well in advance for a night run (multiple flares+carrying a chemlight, and a gun with ammo). If you want to RP it, it can be considered too risky to explore zomble infested areas at night.

Either way, the only reason I'm not playing now, is because my router died and I can only send emails through my work computer.

One bit of advice: use your unarmed time learning how to throw those heaps of tincans. They've saved my life more than once via going up one stairwell, throwing the can to the other side of the barn, then crouchwalking my way out the other doorway when they were congo-line investigating the noise of the can-throw(yes there were like 6-8 of them).

Experiment, have fun, report obvious bugs.

Another person who needs the sand cleaned out of his vagina.

Nothing to see here folks!

I know there are people on here who have nothing to do in their life but play games for days on end.....but for most of us...we can't be sneaking for an hour to a small town' date=' only to be killed because the game is just insanely unforgiving...the mod needs options to cater to other players....I love this game so much I wanted to do weekly live-streams but it's borderline unplayable right now.

It went from fun to a frustrating mess. The more you tinker with it the worse it gets. Decisions like spawning with no weapon or making zombies aggrivated from an even further distance even while prone...are decisions that change the game ENTIRELY. The game was balanced enough before where you could roll out with your squad, maintain for a while, sneak by zombies into big cities...now it's just a mess...

I really hope the game becomes more playable in the future for most players.

[/quote']

With all due respect mate, this isn't a casual game - and I can't speak for any of the developers, but I don't think it's their intention to make it one either.

I am not a good gamer by any stretch of the imagination, but my opinion of DayZ right now, is that if you die, whether it's by player or zombie, it's your fault. If you die, that means you fucked up. Maybe it was something little, maybe you fucked up big time, but you did, even if you don't know what you did wrong (yet). That is, dying by traditional means, not bug or glitch related, you can't help those obviously.

I manage to survive rather easily, just by using experience you get from playing the game. There is a steep learning curve, and slowly but surely you WILL climb on that curve. You will get better, you will start knowing how far you can stay away from zombies at what postures (crouch, prone, etc) instinctively. I've died alot. Many times, oh yeah. I'd guess my average lifespan is around 2 days real-time, actual in-game time that would be around 10-15 hours. The difference is, every time I die, I know what I did, and I know I fucked up.

Maybe I got lacks, maybe I didn't watch out carefully enough - but you fucked up something. That's the key phrase here; "you fucked up".

There is a steep learning curve, it will take you a while to get used to it.

This game is unforgiving, this game wants you to fuck up, it will give you many opportunities to fuck up, and it will be there when you do, and you will, often. My entire point is, get used to the game, if you're dying alot, you're doing something wrong, it's not because the game is too difficult.

Don't stop trying, you will eventually get the hang of it. You don't have to play 15 hours a day to get good at this game, but you can't just snap your fingers and expect to be a pro.

See the game for what it is, and play it accordingly - just my 2 cents; and good luck!

Just a few words from a beginner who started playing today:

This morning i saw a Video about this game and i loved it. So i bought ARMA on Steam and installed this mod. I played a lot of Operation Flashpoint, so handling ARMA was ok. I had some problems with equipping things but that was fine.

My first game was fun already. I was wondering that I had no Weapon, but that mad it even more interesting. Every little sound, scared the hell out of me! :) When the first Zombies came to me i just ran into the Water and was relieved to see, that the dead guys can't swim. I died shortly after this but that was ok.

In my second game, i found an Axe in a barn. I was happy until i heard that something was coming up the stairs. I didn't know how to equip the tool, got injured, ran down the platform and broke my leg. Well, that was it. :)

In my third game I found a Rifle in a Church. (i spawned close to that) For the first time i felt a little bit safer and it was great! I was scared to leave the church again, but i made it out and ran away. The bad thing was, that i only had 10 shots and i used 9 to get away from the Zombies. After a while I found a barn, tried to sneak there and.... got shot. -_- (Whoever that was, you suck! :))

I died some more times, but it was always fun. When i logged off today, i had a shotgun with some ammo, fuel, an engine, beans, a coke, and some ammo for handguns which i don't own. Tomorrow i'll keep playing and i want to see what i can do with that engine. I hope i can find a car and repair it, but it probably won't work out that easy.

Anyway. I just want to say this is a great mod! It just feels so good to play it.

If you like to fear every enemy you see and if you don't start to cry as soon as you die then get it! I don't think its too difficult. It isn't easy but it is a lot of fun!

Sorry for bad grammar. I'm not a native ;)

As a new player i can agree on the matter that it is dificult to survive, i think they should add one of the new melee weapons at the start of the game. But your theory is good too, a gun with only one clip pretty decent but if oyu shoot a zed youll call all the others that is around you and then you'd have to shoot them too. that is why i think it's better to start with a melee weapon(a medium powerd one)

I don't want the game to be casual. It was just challenging enough before Rocket went and made it beyond ridiculous. I already have a job, don't need two. I like a good challenge, but not an unforgiving crawling-does-nothing anymore simulator.