Sign in to follow this  
Holliday (DayZ)

Musket

Think about how epic it would be to carry around a musket. There should be some kind of museum were you can find strange and rare weapons such as the musket, katana, broadsword and such!

• Like 3

A musket wouldn't be the most practical of weapons, surely?

I wouldn't mind a cheeky sword thrown in (if it's worth it after revealing how melee weapons work in the SA)

I may just use my unique katana on WarZ until that day...

• Like 1

No, please, no swords, no katanas, no samurai shit, pleeeaase.

The musket idea sounds cool.

• Like 2

A musket wouldn't be the most practical of weapons, surely?

I wouldn't mind a cheeky sword thrown in (if it's worth it after revealing how melee weapons work in the SA)

I may just use my unique katana on WarZ until that day...

i agree, some more melee weapons wouldn't hurt, and a musket wouldn't really work. i think it would lack real stopping power and have way too slow reloading/rate of fire, above that ammo would be pretty rare if it would be found in places you describe. also there's winchester and lee enfield?

Bit of a novelty weapon. Id say maybe it could be added for the sake of variety of content , but not essential.

• Like 2

Adding some old weapons such as the musket would be nice, I also like the idea of the museum full of novelty old weapons on display.

• Like 2

i think it would lack real stopping power

Nee, muskets would have decent stopping power. A Brown Bess fires a .715 caliber ball weighing almost 9 times as much as a standard issue 5.56mm bullet.

• Like 2

i think it would lack real stopping power

The musket The British Used had a .75 Barrel and fired a 18mm Ball of lead.

I am pretty sure it will Ruin your day if you would get Hit by that (that is The tricky part).

I would go so far as to say that One Hit with a Brown bess from 100m will do more demage as a modern .50 cal from The Same distance ..

Muzzleloading firearms are still used and produced believe it or not. I would not mind one of these in DayZ.

I could see muzzleloading rifles being used in Chernarus by hunters and farmers so i think it would be a good idea to add one in...just not some old, 250 year old musket but rather a modern built muzzleloader which could actually have some accuracy and be usefull to the user. Single shot, powerfull and accurate to around 120 meters but can still drop you (although quite less accurately) at longer ranges. It would be a weapon that you would have to train with allot to master its effectiveness at further distances.

Edited by PracticalTactical

I do not know how it is in your place, but such stuff is not even too rare, and may very well exist on places like cherno. in a museum atleast. and this is a very reasonable way to come to a crappy weapon or decent meele weapon. but it should be very rare and it is defenitely not the primary choiche for a player to use it.

everything is better than a musket, although it defenitely may serve as a good alternative meele weapon.

reloading takes forever, so if you see your target, you better not miss, because there is no time to reload. if you miss only option left is to run straight at it and kill it with the bayonet.

I think the weapons main purpose is more for the sake of variety than usefulness, although if weapons are generally as rare as they should be, and you havent got anything else, and you HAPPEN to be in a museum, well then you atleast got that thing. better than nothing.

most people who find it will be amazed to find such a rare item and tell everyone about it, but defenitely not carry it around, because it is just useless and cumbersome for the most part.

teamspeak: "hey wow, look what i found! a musket!"

"woah dude, great... put it in your backpack, maby some friendly newbie would like to have it"

"nah man, i cant carry that stuff, but let me put it somewhere safe so no bandit can get his filthy fingers on that thing"

I really hope weapons become alot more rare so that even something like a musket might be considered to take with you.

To effectively engage other players with Brown Bess style muskets, you need a platoon of friends stood in 2 ranks using volley fire because you could miss a barn from 50 yards with these.

To get the best of out muskets, wear bright red jackets and silly hats.

• Like 2

To effectively engage other players with Brown Bess style muskets, you need a platoon of friends stood in 2 ranks using volley fire because you could miss a barn from 50 yards with these.

Wai wai wai wait...

Bayonet!

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

Musket should have a bayonet to stab players and zeds otherwise it would be too under powered lol , seeing a 250 years ols musket would be cool

The musket The British Used had a .75 Barrel and fired a 18mm Ball of lead.

I am pretty sure it will Ruin your day if you would get Hit by that (that is The tricky part).

I would go so far as to say that One Hit with a Brown bess from 100m will do more demage as a modern .50 cal from The Same distance ..

Nee, muskets would have decent stopping power. A Brown Bess fires a .715 caliber ball weighing almost 9 times as much as a standard issue 5.56mm bullet.

and what happens when you miss? really loud sound + extremely long reloading time, plus no scope

and what happens when you miss? really loud sound + extremely long reloading time, plus no scope

And a musket would totally give away your position with clouds of smoke.

6W6v3.jpg?1

Yes, a .75 calibre ball of lead is totally going to ruin your day.

However, if Musket Boy/Girl misses you, you have at least 25 seconds to run in and hatchet them to death as even the Redcoats couldn't fire more than 4 rounds per minute.

funny/interesting idea, also a 6 shooter revolver would do, colt navy perhaps?

you could theoretically make your own ammo (making gunpowder is a bit extreme i guess)

stopping power - one shot with musket is a kill

accurate range (non-rifled) 50m is the limit

Think about how epic it would be to carry around a musket. There should be some kind of museum were you can find strange and rare weapons such as the musket, katana, broadsword and such!

Even more rare than the AS50 TWS?? Impossible...

I remember playing around with an old breach loading flint and percussion cap carbine that was at an old farm house when i was a kid(from maori wars, nz)... It had a bayonet that was about 2 and a half feet long, with a double serated top edge, it was F'n MEAN! It would have been over .50, apparently it loaded paper like cartridges, but could also be used as a muzzle loader(it did have a rifled barrel) Everything about it was awesome, solid as a club, the bayonet was like a bloody short sword, there would be no walking away from that after it put a hole in yah!! something like this would be awesome!

The old guy there also had a .303 from boar war (i know wrong spelling, war in s africa toward end o 19th century) that stood about 6 feet long :-) and irons that wound out to 2000 yards... some o those old weapons are just kewl :thumbsup:

No muskets we are not in middle aged england of napoleonic wars nuuuuuuuuu katanas should be forgable and rare i would realy fancy a katana

a new group of bandits dressed in red coats would appear. stand in a line. a guy with no musket pulls out his sword and yell "Take aim!" the redcoats line up "FIRE!" and 75. cal bullets hail down over newspawns in electro

then a random newspawn sneaks up behind them. and hatchet them all to death when they reload.

then proceeds to shit on them

Edited by the LawsOfFire
  • Like 1

Breach loaded smoothbore muskets would be horribly ineffective for killing anything. Terribly inaccurate, loud and slow to reload, but hell, put them in for shits and giggles!

A musket - pretty much what the Enfield is isn't it?

I do think that swords and other medieval weaponry could be found spawned in the Castles. Even armour!

It would be cool to find some fool wandering around in Plate armour, armed with a mace and shield, but unable to run.

• Like 1