Sign in to follow this  
gummy52

Memory hacking in Standalone

Agreed, a VAC ban only applies to the game in question AFAIK, not your whole Steam account unfortunately. Luckily it's not the only measure being taken to prevent hacking, it's just one more thing in the armoury.

Edited by Fraggle

My topic should not of been merged with this..... It has nothing to do with it and has completely blanked over my topic......

Bad modding IMO and has really pissed me off....

My topic should not of been merged with this..... It has nothing to do with it and has completely blanked over my topic......

Please stop insulting the amazing moderators of this forum.

Post #27 of this thread is a question by you, relevant to this threads discussion. In that post you stated you were going to make your own thread, despite already asking the question. Your question was simple and did not require it's own thread/discussion. Your thread devolved into the same discussion as this one, so it was merged.

• Like 1

Bring back up your points then (in this thread!)... I believe that yours were already answered earlier in this thread.

And sorry bro, not to burst your bubble, but I've never seen a mod team do so much for a game. You are blind not to see it.

And sorry bro, not to burst your bubble, but I've never seen a mod team do so much for a game. You are blind not to see it.

I'm talking about 1 mod merging topic and not informing me when I ask where it's gone... But instead just being deleted/moved whatever...

I'm not talking about every mods life history and what they done all there life's.... I know they do a general good job hence why they deserve the beta keys (or whatever it's going to be called)

And this topic has nothing to do with mine...

He's whining about made up figures with no solution, like. 100's of other posts in this forum

My post was a question about a possible solution or why it wouldn't work, which will now get smoothed over and never read because people will get half way through 1st page and think "another winner with made up facts" and close

And that's what my ideas are worth? Thanks a lot

Edited by WalBanger

I'm talking about 1 mod merging topic and not informing me when I ask where it's gone... But instead just being deleted/moved whatever...

I'm not talking about every mods life history and what they done all there life's.... I know they do a general good job hence why they deserve the beta keys (or whatever it's going to be called)

I'm sorry that you think the world revolves around you. I'm sure they were doing it in their best interests. You don't need to make a whole series of raging posts in different threads about it. As for your thread, I thought it was pretty well finished... That's just me though.

On Topic: How about them hackers? Who else has seen 1/3 of the server hacking at all times?

You keep referring loosely to your own statistics (1 in 3 and so on) to make a point.

The only thing I've done is mention that "I would say 1 out of 3 players hack", and it took place in a different thread that asked how bad do people think the hacking will be in the standalone. There is absolutely no reason to be lecturing me on the theory of statistics. This wasn't even the point of my thread before it was merged with another. There is no reason to discredit what I have to say, unless you think cheating will go away if we close our eyes.

Edited by gummy52

I play on a medium-sized whitelisted server and nobody has ever done this. Tents full of goodies have existed in areas very close to well traveled routes without ever being found. 1/3 people using cheats is a ridiculous number. I would say 1/100 at the very maximum. You must have DayZ and WarZ mixed up.

You're naive at best, or just denying the reality. Hackers on certain forums (every ARMA vet/admin knows where) are already complaining that lots of people they met have god mode, and that's only god mode. Whitelisted servers aren't really safe, hackers are just more sneaky there. You can't expect anything other when you let a public hack go undetected for months. Also, this whole whitelisting stuff just illustrates the hacking collapse. "Let's be quiet and maybe hackers won't touch us".

NO game NO system is 100 percent hack free. What you want is the best solution for a game that can't have an epic anti-cheat staff.

VAC + Steam + Serverside is one of the best automated systems out there for preventing hacks. No it will not be on the level of WoW or EVE or any other super large MMO yet it will be FAR FAR FAR better than what is happeneing today.

Well, that's obvious, nobody argues with that as far as I can tell.

Edited by KizUrazgubi

You people are freaking pathetic. There are secure applications out there all over the world run on billions of devices which very rarely if ever have their security compromised

None of them run windows installs that allow randoms to install whatever they want on them. Possibly the stupidest reasoning I have heard in relation to this subject.

I'm a certified .net engineer

ROFL. So basically you can barely code worth anything?

Not possible to stop hacking when you don't have control on what the end user can install on their PC. Not with the current way PCs are designed. It would require a hardware and OS redesign (in conjunction with each other) to get even close to stopping hacking, and even then someone would come up with a hardware mod that would allow you to hack.

P.s. to the retard that thinks WOW is hack free, there are shitloads of client side hacks and bots for wow. The gold farmer is talking about hacking user account via blizzard or the client which is hard to do, not someone writing an esp hack or a bot...

And for the record mister .net engineer (ROFL) I used to write hacks in assembly for a number of games (mostely for a random game called knights online) so unlike you I actually have some idea what I am talking about.

Also just think about it for a second, no one has managed to come up a way to even stop game piracy despite all sorts of DRM been thrown around. It always gets hacked. AND THIS IS WORTH BIG MONEY TO PUBLISHERS. If they can't stop that do you really think for a second they will stop client side hacks such as aimbots and ESP?

Edited by illicit

Is it confirmed that the server will only send information about an object to the client if it is within a certain distance? Any information about that?

From reading through this (merged) thread I got the impression that people are just assuming that this will be the case in Standalone

Is it confirmed that the server will only send information about an object to the client if it is within a certain distance? Any information about that?

From reading through this (merged) thread I got the impression that people are just assuming that this will be the case in Standalone

Nope, that was just something suggested, no idea if they plan on implementing it.

From one website among many. You're trying claim that hacking is not common. It's incredibly easy to do right now and from the looks of things it won't be any harder in the standalone. What's stopping everyone from hacking? Their good will. Wake up.

Among many? How many? 2 sites? They share the same hack, and the rest are private.

I would say 1/3 are cheating, 1/6 at the absolute maximum

Completely false.

Here's some data for you. From a forum more active than this one, right off of google, you can find a thread titled "DayZ Survival Hack v3.3" with 70,565 views and 891 replies. Now I want you to google "dayz readprocessmemory".

It's a serious issue that's over shadowed by kill commands and item spawning.

Views mean nothing.

As it stands, when the standalone arrives, you should expect after the first week that 1 out of every 3 players is cheating by using an undetectable program that reads the game's memory for object locations.

There will be hacking in standalone, and VAC does suck, BUT it will be far from 1/3 players. Again, a completely false statistic.

^^^ Atm the number of cheaters/script kids is around 16% ... so a 33% is not realistic, even if the things getting worse. I predict it will be around 5%, since (we hope) all the script based hacks will be eliminated/reduced. They will be huge numbers anyway (considering the userbase). These are numbers simlar to any other FPS out there.. there's only one big difference: in those games the cheating/hacking issue can be accepted, in DayZ a cheater does much more damage, since the perma-death. You may spend days (or more) to collect some top gear, and loosing it because of a cheater is a very frustrating. In a traditional FPS you will respawn again, you'll change the server eventually and there you go.. it's a little annoyance. In dayz you're "fucked", and if it happens multiple time per day, it's annoying as hell. This is why the kids and the trolls loves to cheat in this game, it's because they can laugh at you after. And for this reason the "hack problem" must be the first thing to address: you may develop a fantastic game, but if there's even 1/3 of the cheaters we have now, it'll be pretty fucked up.

• Like 1

It is not the anti hack that is the part to get right, i know first hand how good the battleeye system is. It does not ban you instantly but it gets you every time without fail the bypass is easily detected.

The problem is however the availability of CDkeys, whether stolen or forged. You can buy them cheaply on hack sites so hackers dont even need to use steam anymore...

Yes i used to hack, 200$ later i want to play normally it really does ruin the game beyond measure. I really hope the standalone can get passed this however, me and a friend have been burned 3 times in past two days by hackers invincibility/teleporting. I guess karma really is a bitch.

Edited by martinusn

The point is not to have a perfect anti-hack system. The point is to show dedication and determination to constantly battle hacks, which means to frequently updating anti-hack software, to process hack report and ban hackers swiftly and severely (Permanent bans, IP bans, MAC bans, Credit Card refusal, etc.)

You can't stop hacking completely, but if you make the stakes of hacking high enough, people who intended to hack would think twice before they hack, thus reduce the percentage of hackers in the game.

DayZ SA must put much more effort into anti-hack than games such as CoD or BF since the death punishment is much more serious than those games.

• Like 1

None of them run windows installs that allow randoms to install whatever they want on them. Possibly the stupidest reasoning I have heard in relation to this subject.

ROFL. So basically you can barely code worth anything?

Not possible to stop hacking when you don't have control on what the end user can install on their PC. Not with the current way PCs are designed. It would require a hardware and OS redesign (in conjunction with each other) to get even close to stopping hacking, and even then someone would come up with a hardware mod that would allow you to hack.

P.s. to the retard that thinks WOW is hack free, there are shitloads of client side hacks and bots for wow. The gold farmer is talking about hacking user account via blizzard or the client which is hard to do, not someone writing an esp hack or a bot...

And for the record mister .net engineer (ROFL) I used to write hacks in assembly for a number of games (mostely for a random game called knights online) so unlike you I actually have some idea what I am talking about.

Also just think about it for a second, no one has managed to come up a way to even stop game piracy despite all sorts of DRM been thrown around. It always gets hacked. AND THIS IS WORTH BIG MONEY TO PUBLISHERS. If they can't stop that do you really think for a second they will stop client side hacks such as aimbots and ESP?

So many things wrong with this post it's unreal....

1) so your a hacker..... Low life scum bag, end off

2) call me a retard all you want after you read my comment properly, I said there are bots but they don't effect others and are caught, and banned but because they make money they start another account or buy other people's details.... They won't make money on dayz (the hackers I mean) so they won't keep on buying new accounts....

3) manufactures can stop there games being hacked/copied but they lose money..... People go with the machine that can be hacked and make it more popular and so make more money of legitimate customers........moneys new machine is going to stop piracy but will probably be the downfall as not many will buy the console.....

2) call me a retard all you want after you read my comment properly, I said there are bots but they don't effect others and are caught, and banned but because they make money they start another account or buy other people's details.... They won't make money on dayz (the hackers I mean) so they won't keep on buying new accounts....

You would be surprised how much not being able to play dayz because of being banned makes you want to buy it again, sometimes you just want to play it again. I have 3 steam accounts, my main one with arma banned, 2 with just arma 2 + OA banned, and many cd keys which could have been used on steam banned, and even more that cant be used on steam banned.

You could easily circumvent the ban and buy an extremely cheap cd key that gets even cheaper in bulk. Being able or not being able to make money isnt even a factor - the death penalty on Dayz is so high hackers just like fucking with people who put effort in. I just liked having fun with my mates, we have played the game for a long time the ad infinitum formula gets stale,

Edited by martinusn

3) manufactures can stop there games being hacked/copied but they lose money..... People go with the machine that can be hacked and make it more popular and so make more money of legitimate customers........moneys new machine is going to stop piracy but will probably be the downfall as not many will buy the console.....

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've read in this thread. (and there's a lot of stupidity in here)

Memory hacks are incredibly easy to detect, so I wouldn't worry too much. Hopefully they have a dedicated software engineer working on this kind of stuff.

Memory hacks are incredibly easy to detect, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Yes, please elaborate.

Edited by gummy52

Completely false.

OK, sure. If you say so.

After quite a time of not playing DayZ, I've joined some random server today with 11 people online (including me). Within an hour, 8 players of 11 got kicked for "Game Hack #4".

This is complete failure.

Edited by KizUrazgubi

Memory hacks are incredibly easy to detect, so I wouldn't worry too much. Hopefully they have a dedicated software engineer working on this kind of stuff.

I heard of a cure for the alzheimer...

Rocket seems like an open guy willing to answer questions, but I don't know where to even ask. So, I figured that I'd just make a thread. I don't expect an answer, but I'd like to throw my question out there for the possibility that someone at Bohemia Interactive might read it.

Hacking is an enormous concern for me. Not ArmA 2 Script injecting. I've heard no information about the development team's plans to prevent unauthorized memory access. I'm particularly worried because the team seems content with a server side implementation coupled with Valve's VAC... but neither will prevent or detect custom external programs that read the game's memory. If hackers are still able to detect everything the client program has in memory, then they'll be able to detect all players/vehicles/objects within render distance in real time.

Does the development team recognize this as a serious and potentially crippling issue?

From what Ive read the stand alone will be protected by VAC anticheat, so offset hacking will be minimised greatly. However, you can NEVER FULLY stop offset based hacking because VAC, PB etc can only catch the hacking methods they are aware of. You also have to accept that there are some very talented game hackers that know ASM and memory manipulation so well that they can and will bypass VAC, PB etc within an hour of a hack being detected, thats a fact, I should know because I have associated with such people in the past (one for example was a Cambridge Uni professor that did it for the giggles ).

What man can make, man can break. It just a matter of time and effort. (undocumented windows NT memory functions anyone? ;P)

VAC + and an active admin will ensure a decent gaming experience for most of the time in my opinion

Edited by Easy_Tiger