Sign in to follow this  
amlaborde@windstream.net

What if... Chernarus and surrounding lands are in quarantine?

Not simple specific location type quarantine. But total control over all surrounding areas as well? What if they gave the illusion that Chernarus and its surrounding lands are cut off from the outside world and the survivors are left to rot inside with the undead. Illusions like checkpoints and posters reminding you of this predicament would help sell the illusion of being cut off.

What do you think?

You mean like that movie Doomsday(?) where they walled off Scotland and left the people to rot?

• Like 2

Its not a bad idea, but personally I like the idea that you dont know WTH is going on outside of your field of vision. Are you the only one left? is the whole world infested, if I keep moving north (or east or west...) will I find some help. It kind of adds to the tension/feel of the game in my opinion.

It would be nice to find some clues as to what happened but the feeling of WTF should always be persistent.

It would be nice to find some clues as to what happened but the feeling of WTF should always be persistent.

Yes I agree, would be cool to come upon some an old newspaper front page in a town with hints and details of what happened before you woke up. Or a medical report in a hospital, while your looting. That type of world building that doesnt destroy the tension or unknown. It adds to it.

Oh or how about in the middle of Cherno, a statue or billboard, something that has all these personal notes and/or government notices on it... a la 28 days later.

"Mom. and Dad, You werent home when I got there to check on you. Hope you got out of the city before it all went to hell. Im going to try and get to grandmas house in Stary. Hoping thats where you went, Love Jessica Erica."

That type of stuff would add to the mindfuck that is DayZ imo.

EDIT... name change HAHA

Edited by Phooey
  • Like 5

I believe that Rocket wants to do this. Isnt that part of the reason he met his brother the virologist?

If they make a back story for the virus I imagine it would be put into the game.

Rocket, if you're reading this, please please don't tell the back story to the game online. Make players find everything!

• Like 2

Yes I agree, would be cool to come upon some an old newspaper front page in a town with hints and details of what happened before you woke up. Or a medical report in a hospital, while your looting. That type of world building that doesnt destroy the tension or unknown. It adds to it.

Oh or how about in the middle of Cherno, a statue or billboard, something that has all these personal notes and/or government notices on it... a la 28 days later.

"Mom. and Dad, You werent home when I got there to check on you. Hope you got out of the city before it all went to hell. Im going to try and get to grandmas house in Stary. Hoping thats where you went, Love Jessica."

That type of stuff would add to the mindfuck that is DayZ imo.

Then you go to Stary Sobor. You are disgusted by the massive piles of bodies. You see a dead person, it is a girl. You wonder if that is Jessica.

• Like 3

Then you go to Stary Sobor. You are disgusted by the massive piles of bodies. You see a dead person, it is a girl. You wonder if that is Jessica.

Yea the possibilities are endless. little easter eggs all over the place would have as much of an effect on the atmosphere as anything really. IMO of course.

Poor Jessica Erica, she was such a sweet girl....... :(

EDIT... HAHA

Edited by Phooey
  • Like 1

Well this scenario may cause problems in story if the extra maps are continued into standalone, such as how did Celle or Taviana get infected? was it covert military operations on namalsk that started it all?

some terrorist organisation targeted these area's in particular?

I hope Rocket include in the game part of the 25 page document that he said his brother did to report about the "illness" of the infected. It would be great for us to find while we survive

• Like 3

You wake up on the beach with no memory of your past. Surprisingly, you have a backpack on. Upon searching it you only find a bottle of painkillers, a flashlight, and a bandadge. Somehow though, you feel completely full and hydrated. You lift your warm body off the soaking sand and drag yourself away from the beachead. After a few minutes of walking you spot a roadway winding along the coastal range. As you wander down the empty highway, you find dozens of broken-down vehicles in various states of disrepair. 'What could have done this?' you wonder to yourself. As you travel farther along the road, you have no recollection of your surroundings. Finally, while approaching a town, you see a road-sign. Maybe this can give you clues about where you are and what your past is! Strangely, the sign is in a dialect that you can't understand. Nothing in this place seems to make sense at all. As you get closer to the town, people materialize out of thin air. 'Am I hallucinating?' you ask yourself. You are overcome with joy though to find human contact in this otherwise desolate world. As you run closer to them, something seems wrong. It doesn't seem right for people to howl and stagger around. You decide to continue running towards them. The sound of running footsteps and screams sends a chill running down your spine. These people aren't friendly at all. The vacant look in their eyes assures that they aren't running to greet you in celebration, they are greeting you with death. You continue running full speed through the town, dodging around buildings and through alleyways until you have finally lost the hoard. As you slow down, you catch your breath and decide pound the bottle of painkillers. 'This has to be a dream. These drugs will help to keep my shakiness down,' you tell yourself. As you continue your way through the buildings, the sound of flies catches your attention. You are curious and decide to follow it. As you near the sound, you see a body lieing on the ground. You cautiously approach it by crawling through the short grass. As you near the body, you see that the person had a bullet hole right through their chest. 'Who could have done this and how did it happen?' you wonder. As you slowly open up their backpa-*CRACK*

You wake up on the beach with no memory of your past. Surprisingly, you have a backpack on. Upon searching it you only find a bottle of painkillers, a flashlight, and a bandadge. Somehow though, you feel completely full and hydrated. You lift your warm body off the soaking sand and drag yourself away from the beachead...

Edited by BeastOverlord
  • Like 1

How about a constant radio message?

Continuously playing over and over again?

"due to food infected foods with horse meat, People have been turning into mindless infected flesh eaters, Citizens are advised to proceed to (insert dead and doomed place here) to escape Quarentine and medical provision"

I really like this idea, but idk how it would work. If you build a giant wall, as in doomsday, like groover said... It would be cool and raise curiosity.. The issue is helicopters.

They could just fly over it, Maybe it had AA or something

I really do like this idea, i think it would be a good foundation for future maps, i know they talked about linking maps like instences, the wall gates could be the way to each map or something...

Well one thing to cure that problem: is giving the player that feeling that this is the only "surviving" lands in the world. Make him not want to venture out past the islands. Use their brains against them.

i want there to be emotional factors of the undead zombies.......kids...old men (maybe even toddlers)

Yea the possibilities are endless. little easter eggs all over the place would have as much of an effect on the atmosphere as anything really. IMO of course.

Poor Jessica, she was such a sweet girl....... :(

Can we change the name of the little girl please?

I have a little daughter called Jessica. :(

• Like 1

Can we change the name of the little girl please?

I have a little daughter called Jessica. :(

Ummm did I say jessica? Ohh , silly me, just reread the note, my bad, it was from Erica.

:blush:

• Like 3

To help lock off the map from driving cars off the map, they could add signs for landmines where were put in place by the military before they left. This mine field was created to hold off the hordes of roaming Zeds.

• Like 1

To help lock off the map from driving cars off the map, they could add signs for landmines where were put in place by the military before they left. This mine field was created to hold off the hordes of roaming Zeds.

That is a general idea. But I would like to see something newer than that. Make the player believe that it is better here than out there, make them believe that to go out there is sheer suicide.

Another think I just thought of... What if there was some kind of RUMOR generator in the servers? As in, when ever a player explores and comes across some kind of environmental clue, it tells him/her a little rumor about some loot, another environmental narrative location, or a general explanation of what supposedly happened.

I really like this idea, but idk how it would work. If you build a giant wall, as in doomsday, like groover said... It would be cool and raise curiosity.. The issue is helicopters.

They could just fly over it, Maybe it had AA or something

I really do like this idea, i think it would be a good foundation for future maps, i know they talked about linking maps like instences, the wall gates could be the way to each map or something...

what if the crashed helicopters are actually soliders trying to get out, but was shot down in an attempt to stop the infection!

what if the crashed helicopters are actually soliders trying to get out, but was shot down in an attempt to stop the infection!

Of even if one of the soldiers became infected!

There is another thing. What if Chernarus is surrounded by high walls? Like in Doomsday. There would be loads of writings that describe the situation like in Left 4 Dead, and pictures of lost loved ones... Maybe even a developer PSA about a Bandit spotlight? They would give us a warning of that person!