Sign in to follow this  
NonovUrbizniz (DayZ)

Standalone on the horizon who's in for the long haul on the mod?

OK... so I see like 20 posts a day from different people either asking what they should set up on their new server, or introducing their new server...

How many of you guys are going to be around when standalone comes out? How many of these servers are going to get dropped within a month or two??

Does anyone have any idea how long the dev team plans on supporting the mod?

I'm going to be frank, I'm so in love with this mod I have almost NO intention of buying the standalone or hosting a server for it (I might just for continuity's sake) but I LOVE the mod and personally will spend lots of my own money to make sure that our servers stay up for as long as they can...

How many others are this serious? I'm just curious.

I know I for one will be running our Public Hive Chernarus server until the public hive is gone.

I'd like to see some moves to consolidate the community in the future. There are 20+ public Chernarus servers that are trying to enourage PvP or squadplay... Or 50+ private hives doing the same thing, or friendly servers on either side.... Why not just start pooling resources to increase the player counts on fewer servers???

On the hosting end of it, dayz.st, gameservers.com, etc etc... what will they do when people start dropping server subscriptions? Keep the servers up until it becomes clear they have to be switched to another game or what?

The SA will be the way forward as that is what's allowing them to add content and essentially "fix" the game. I'll keep an eye on the mod though because it's always interesting to see what people come up with and the good ideas could eventually be adopted by the SA.

I'd expect a massive drop on the numbers, as I expect the majority of people will be switching to the Standalone.

It will be gradual though; probably through a combination of there being limited keys initally (50,000 keys) and people saving up for the fee of the standalone.

I'll be sticking with the Mod for as long as it's around as I have money invested in Arma 2 to play it, so I'm not dropping it for anything.

The various maps and community mods have made it very interesting.

I was planning to early adopt the SA, but several things have made me reconsider and I might just wait and see how things pan out for the first release.

That's probably wise. Many are forgetting that the SA won't actually be complete for many months to a year. I think there'll be enough new content and new mechanics to drag most away from the mod though, especially considering the low price point.

Edited by Fraggle

As a player with no interest in the server side of things i will be dropping the mod instantly the SA becomes available :)

Just so you know, i would expect because of the game type (leaning towards pvp/fps very semi sim) that most players will drop the mod and move towards the SA

We will be supporting DayZ standalone from the first second the server files are available.

Our mod server will stay online if there are enough players.

Since it's a server with official Hive it doesn't really matter if it goes down anyway.

We will be supporting DayZ standalone from the first second the server files are available.

Our mod server will stay online if there are enough players.

Since it's a server with official Hive it doesn't really matter if it goes down anyway.

Matters to people who play on your server and have tents and vehicles lol...

The only reason I admin a server is PA1 got shut down despite my buddies begging them to keep it up.

I don't even have a computer that will run the SA (I don't think at least) so I'm not overly interested in it, and for reasons stated above on both sides...

1. As far as players leaving the mod for the pvp fps of the SA... I'm not sure that is the case for the SA, but if it is THANK FUCKING GOD!!!!!! Mod will become the most amazing game ever if all the dumb noobs who just want to run and gun aren't there... I HATE most simulation games this game is AWESOME, if the SA turn in anyway what so ever away from the realism of the mod then I will 100pct not be on board for personal play at least.

2. I have WAYYYY too much invested, I've got 2 keys for OA2 BAF,PMC, 2 servers, lol

3. Diversity of maps and private/public.... at my prime of playing prior to making admin duties take up most of my time, I had 20-30 active characters on different maps and servers... knew where they all where what they had etc etc... with the key switching I had multiple characters on the same private hive so if one got killed I could help him along with the other character... it was pure magic lol.

I have friends who STILL talk about Operation Flashpoint... so chances are my crew will be playing the mod for quite some time lol.

Keep the replies coming...

I think the Mod will be around for some time yet. The mod has more flexability which will make for some intresting possibilities. It also lends itself to PvP gun play more then I imagine the SA will be. I don't always play PvP but it's fun way to practice your shooting skills.

Matters to people who play on your server and have tents and vehicles lol...

There are no players who are online regularly. ;)

I will immediately switch to the standalone because i cant play the mod... stuttering everywhere i go.... lets hope the standalone is optimized properly so i can for the first time truly enjoy the game..

i will be keeping one of my servers up they both share a hive so i will let people know so they can move across i dont get many people on the other server now im lucky if i get a couple a day but i always have at least 8 on the other playing for hours of the day i may even keep both if i get regular players back on the other i dont mind paying as long the players are there. hopefully i will be running an sa server too

hello there

I will be using both.

I may drop A2 once A3 is mature and the main mods have been converted.

I'll play the Mod for the customisability and the SA for the new experience.

I already have a Standalone arma2 based game I play called Iron Front. Which is a WW2 based game.

Like the SA(at first) it is non moddable and whilst i adore the game i miss the customisability i get with the native Arma2 engine. So, I still play I44 (the arma2 WW2 mod) when I want an experience more tailored to my tastes.

In short, I'll play 'em all.

Rgds

LoK

It's funny I posted this and have had numerous regrets for keeping the public hive I have running... it's too much work with no help at this point... BUT I'm going to keep my word and our Public Hive will be up until the actual official public hive is down.

We also have a private hive Panthera server that I can't seem to get any traffic on at all...

And I'm working on a new map port that I think will be VERY exciting...

Anyone other hosters have input?

How many Official Public Hive Servers are there?

It's funny I posted this and have had numerous regrets for keeping the public hive I have running... it's too much work with no help at this point... BUT I'm going to keep my word and our Public Hive will be up until the actual official public hive is down.

We also have a private hive Panthera server that I can't seem to get any traffic on at all...

And I'm working on a new map port that I think will be VERY exciting...

Anyone other hosters have input?

How many Official Public Hive Servers are there?

Ours is still up.

However, we would like to move it to a new machine since the one it is currently running on will go down pretty soon.

Well, not much support for that so I guess our server will be gone pretty soon. Atleast it won't be public anymore.

Too bad.

Depends on how the standalone goes for us. We will have our box regardless, so our DayZ mod server won't be going anywhere as long as people want to play on it. I suspect we won't be able to host our own SA server for a lil while after it is released so I foresee alot of mod servers staying up until that is a reality.

Ours is private hive, we just couldn't deal with the server hopping and little to no hack prevention that is available on the public hives. The state of the mod just makes it pointless and a waste of time to run a public linked hive.

Edited by Pegz

Ours is still up.

However, we would like to move it to a new machine since the one it is currently running on will go down pretty soon.

Well, not much support for that so I guess our server will be gone pretty soon. Atleast it won't be public anymore.

Too bad.

Who's your host? you should be able to back up the install via FTP and then re-install it on another machine, the server stored vehicle and tent info will stay and the public hive info is transferred naturally as players log in to your new machine/ip... So long as the install folder structure is the same it should be copy and paste... if the folder structure is different you just point the launcher's file references to the new paths....

There is someone now working on a variant of the public hive that functions with multiple DB structures and hosts... I am going to start discussing with him about some ideas that might get that to catch on a little faster... I think if my idea will work, which it should, it will make utilizing a central hive structure (likely his) a no brain'er and any hosting company or mod with any clue how messed up things are now will jump all over it...

That is on next weeks agenda though... for now... off to place vehicles... somewhere no DayZ admin ever has DOT DOT DOT (like in poetry)

Depends on how the standalone goes for us. We will have our box regardless, so our DayZ mod server won't be going anywhere as long as people want to play on it. I suspect we won't be able to host our own SA server for a lil while after it is released so I foresee alot of mod servers staying up until that is a reality.

Ours is private hive, we just couldn't deal with the server hopping and little to no hack prevention that is available on the public hives. The state of the mod just makes it pointless and a waste of time to run a public linked hive.

I hear you on that one... I"m going to hold out till the end... I figure everyone playing on the public hive knows the risks. My regulars know that if they get totally boned I will help them out personally... The clan that I started the servers with looted the map all by our selves for AGES before it got populated to any degree... so we already had a HUGE stock pile of tents with weapons, ammo, medical, equipment... then they ALL stopped playing out of frustration.... I got left admin'ing and basically don't play on the server either anymore other than to check out hack attacks, make sure nothing is f'd up. and to help out regulars....

I've dropped (not like private hive lol... walk/run/drive/fly) ATV's or tents for some of my regulars who I KNOW have been killed during a weekend hack attack... for the most part it's been working out ok... I think I have to advertise it more... put it in the scroll...

I love this game so much I gave up playing it to help the community. It makes me nuts sometimes but in the long run w/o people dedicating hours and hours of their own time this mod would have burned to the ground MONTHS ago... I like being one of the good guys... and I sucked at the action pvp crap in Chernarus anyway, I was always too trusting or in scavenge mode... I can pvp when I log into a high pop server and it's what I'm looking for, but on the public hive I don't think I've killed more than 2 people ever? Number might increase if we count what I lovingly refer to as "helicopter training week" and you count people who were dumb enough to get in with my flying... "Like a brick John"...

I can play all I want on private hives when I find the time.... which is never lol.

Who's your host? you should be able to back up the install via FTP and then re-install it on another machine, the server stored vehicle and tent info will stay and the public hive info is transferred naturally as players log in to your new machine/ip... So long as the install folder structure is the same it should be copy and paste... if the folder structure is different you just point the launcher's file references to the new paths....

There is someone now working on a variant of the public hive that functions with multiple DB structures and hosts... I am going to start discussing with him about some ideas that might get that to catch on a little faster... I think if my idea will work, which it should, it will make utilizing a central hive structure (likely his) a no brain'er and any hosting company or mod with any clue how messed up things are now will jump all over it...

That is on next weeks agenda though... for now... off to place vehicles... somewhere no DayZ admin ever has DOT DOT DOT (like in poetry)

These are 2 dedicated machines, the IP of the new one is not whitelisted.

So it's not possible for us to move it without someone whitelisting our IP.

And it appears this is not going to happen.

Edited by DomiStyle