Sign in to follow this  
brettuk

I don't understand this Game :/

Hey,

This thread may seem really stupid to some of you but I'd appreciate the help if you could give me some. I love DayZ, I think it's amazing. Although I'm experiencing a couple of problems. When I play DayZ, I play a range of servers I have no favorites I just play any which are avaliable. I normally spawn in the SAME PLACE every time, In the same town. It's weird, I'm always in the same content.

I can hardly ever find weapons and when I do it's normally the same weapon every time, Even when I do find a weapon I'm still staying around the same place and hardly ever seeing anyone. Although, now and again I'm up for a challenge to explore more places so I run, and run in one direction. One time I ran for around a hour through the forest and.....I got no where, literally. I gave up.

When I go on Twitch.TV and watch DayZ livestreams I see people with ghille suits, snipers and there in trucks and cars and there in new places which I haven't been to before. I feel like there playing a different game, Lol.

What can I do? Where do I go? How can I find weapons? How do I navigate around the world? How the hell do I even know where I am in the game?

Cheers, all help appreciated

dayzdb.com for map and info

have a look at the map, itll really help

try to find people to play with. this game isnt really that fun when played all alone

DayZ is no game where you can log in and have action all the time. Sometimes I just run around the map for some hours! Sometime I run 2 hours just to find: nothing.

If you really need help, look at videos on youtube they can help you!

DayZ DB for checking the maps and your location. Of course using the online maps is a bit of a advantage but you still have to find you bearings if you're in the middle of nowhere.

Army bases, Airfields(especially NW), and major cities for decent weps. Of course you will find Lee Enfields and Shotguns in large farmhouses, although effective they attract a lot of Zombie attention so are considered not that great really.

Good luck!

Edited by R.Neville

When you are playing, find a map (they're very easy to come across in the medium-large towns). Open up your map in-game and hold Shift and click anywhere you want to go. This will set a waypoint that you can run towards and discover new areas.

As someone mentioned the dayzdb is great and you can use their map to find everything anything you need/want. It shows the spawn points for cars, helis and lootable buildings.

hf

Follow the coast east for a while (keep sea on your right) and you are sure to come across people and towns.

• Like 1

Edit: haha super lag post on my phone. everything pretty much covered already but ill just leave this here anyway

Look up a loot map online. There's one I use but I forget the name as I have it bookmarked. its called dayz database or something. Just Google it.

Pay attention when you spawn in, it will tell you approximately where you are on the lower right of your screen. Find that area on the map, and work out exactly where you are using geography and landmarks.

Using the map, hit up high yield loot spots. Look for big barns, houses, deer stands, and military spawns. It should also have things like supermarkets and hospitals marked.

The whole process is made easier with a 2nd computer monitor, and my favorite item in the game, the almighty compass.

Edited by MattGL
  • Like 1

My advice - don't use an online map with loot spawns on them - it really does spoil it.

Just Explore!

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 3

My advice - don't use an online map with loot spawns on them - it really does spoil it.

Just Explore!

cant be a serious dayz gamer, without starting by using an online loot map <3

Edited by h3retic

Just Explore!

This.

I started playing before there were loot maps and tutorials and the first month where I started off completely lost in Chernarus and then slowly figured out the map and where to find different loot was the best bit. :D

• Like 2

Just Explore!

I respectfully disagree 100%. He already tried that it seems. The map is simply too large to run around blindly.

First time I played this, like op, I ended up running through emptiness for what seemed like forever. Just hills and trees. I probably would have given up without SOME kind of guidance. Without an experienced player to show you around, or a map to go by, anyone just starting is going to be completely lost.

Now I know there will be holier than thous saying that's just lazy, whatever. I've never seen a single streamer or youtuber that didn't use a map. I'm sure there are people who wouldn't mind running blind for hours possibly missing all of the 4-5 worthwhile spots to loot on the map, but its certainly not for everyone. Probably not for the op considering the thread we are playing in.

Also, I don't believe anyone learned the map without an online map. Maybe it didn't have dayz loot spawns on it but there have been online arms 2 maps for years.

Having the loot spots marked is just a convenience. It would take no time at all to learn what buildings have loot providing you can FIND the buildings.

Edited by MattGL

I didn't use a map when i first started and sure i got lost plenty of times. As for missing loot - when you don't know where the loot is you explore and check out everything. And the thrill of discovery is that much better, especially when you find your first map in game.

The number of times i crawled into a town only to find the buildings unenterable was unreal, but i just loved that feeling of not knowing and exploring. You soon learn what buildings spawn what kind of loot.

Just my advice that's all.

Edited by DemonGroover

To make you better understand what to do in DayZ, go to the link the first guy provided: http://dayzdb.com/map#3.059.115

Notice that there are alot of different colours just dotted about, look to the right and you will see a legend and you can un-check and remove the junk you don't want. If you click on a colour, it will tell you what "can" spawn there. If you have 2 monitors, this is the best way to meta-game.. From the nav-bar up top, you can look up a database which tells you the specifics for all the weapons and equipment.

Once you have familiarised yourself with this HUUUGE map, take a look at these guys YouTube channels. There are plenty more but these are the guys I love watching (manly because of the militaristic attitude and swift coordination):

RhinoCRUNCH: http://youtube.com/u...H/videos?view=0 (more of a action comedy with these vids... lol. The best thing to do for you is to load all his vids from the link at the bottom of his page and find the "Survival Diaries episode 1". Once you have watched that series and understand the game a little more, watch the Bandit Diaries)

DevilDogGamer: http://youtube.com/f...fFXWdo7RgEDtBcQ (Has more of a military attitude but understanding the tactics pays off)

If you are into the more relaxed DayZ video's, look up FRANKIEonPCin1080p: http://youtube.com/u...p/videos?view=0 (all his video's have a link to all the others in the description so they are easy to navigate)

• Like 1

Haha i had a 12ft x 10ft map on my living room wall of cherno when i 1st started :), (no loot map tho, just norm map) :P

(and yea my living room is our recreation room, no tv ftw lol)

To make you better understand what to do in DayZ, go to the link the first guy provided: http://dayzdb.com/map#3.059.115

Notice that there are alot of different colours just dotted about, look to the right and you will see a legend and you can un-check and remove the junk you don't want. If you click on a colour, it will tell you what "can" spawn there. If you have 2 monitors, this is the best way to meta-game.. From the nav-bar up top, you can look up a database which tells you the specifics for all the weapons and equipment.

Once you have familiarised yourself with this HUUUGE map, take a look at these guys YouTube channels. There are plenty more but these are the guys I love watching (manly because of the militaristic attitude and swift coordination):

RhinoCRUNCH: http://youtube.com/u...H/videos?view=0 (more of a action comedy with these vids... lol. The best thing to do for you is to load all his vids from the link at the bottom of his page and find the "Survival Diaries episode 1". Once you have watched that series and understand the game a little more, watch the Bandit Diaries)

DevilDogGamer: http://youtube.com/f...fFXWdo7RgEDtBcQ (Has more of a military attitude but understanding the tactics pays off)

If you are into the more relaxed DayZ video's, look up FRANKIEonPCin1080p: http://youtube.com/u...p/videos?view=0 (all his video's have a link to all the others in the description so they are easy to navigate)

You could also try TacticalAdvance.

A survival player who explains alot about Dayz as he plays :)

http://youtu.be/8S7ZqjL75Q4

Now I know there will be holier than thous saying that's just lazy, whatever. I've never seen a single streamer or youtuber that didn't use a map. I'm sure there are people who wouldn't mind running blind for hours possibly missing all of the 4-5 worthwhile spots to loot on the map, but its certainly not for everyone. Probably not for the op considering the thread we are playing in.

SideStrafe doesn't use external maps. But then again, he's SideStrafe, it's hard to watch him without wanting to point out something to him every five minutes and usually facepalming afterward.

Yeah, I had the same problem when I first started. It's difficult to grasp how big the map actually is if you are used to games like Battlefield or COD. It's more similar to GTA San Andreas or FarCry 2 where there are just vast stretches of empty wilderness. Without any sort of map or compass or GPS you can litterally get lost in the woods.

Try following roads and powerlines as you head up north, away from the riffraff in Cherno or Electro.

Just don't forget there is probably someone with a gun watching you every minute!

My advice is to look for a homeserver with about 4-15 players on most of the time.

The more players the harder it gets.

Get a map up on your second screen [this is really nice to have, if you dont have a 2nd screen you have to alt-tab.

Plan your trips! First find out where you are and then go planning where you want to go to and what you need for the trip! :)