Sign in to follow this  
Hetstaine

Steam on two pcs ?

Because of my less than average download speeds is it possible to install steam on a second (work) pc where i can buy and download games demos etc and then have them available at home or is there the whole it will only install on that pc/registry type deal ?

you can do it but you will still have to download them to your other pc just copying the files causes allsorts of problems

you can transfer them from pc to pc but you have to run the the game to install try it now i guess,

I do this quite often because I reformatt once a month on average and just copy my steam from windows old so give it a try.

yes u can easily do that

just install steam on the other pc, then download the game and install it

then go to .../steam/steamapps/common/... (or somethign similar to that) and copy the arma 2 and arma 2 oa folders

then go back to ur home pc, copy these 2 folders to .../steam/steamapps/common/... , go to steam, and start "downloading" the game

it wont really be downloading, just verifying files, and installing ur game

edit: or any other games

good luck

Edited by h3retic
  • Like 1

Yeah i've done this a few times - not sure how many PC's you can do it on but i've done it at least 4 times.

bring your pc to work cut out the middle man

Even better, bring work home and also have access to the beer fridge.

• Like 2

Even better, bring work home and also have access to the beer fridge.

MIND. BLOWN.

so many good suggestions, maybe i will just start drinking work beer at work whilst sucking work bandwith with my pc as well. Maybe i will never go home again

• Like 1

Because of my less than average download speeds is it possible to install steam on a second (work) pc where i can buy and download games demos etc and then have them available at home or is there the whole it will only install on that pc/registry type deal ?

Yeah its possible . Copying files is also very simple . All you need to do is make a backup of the games you downloaded on your work pc on an external HDD . Connect the hdd to your home comp and click restore games in the steam options . Simple :-D

bring your pc to work cut out the middle man

I did this once when I built a new rig. Waited till everyone left the office and used the beefy connection to DL all my games, drivers, windows updates etc.

I wouldn't bother with DLing and transferring, you're just asking for complications.