rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

Having been an MMORPG gamer for many years (stopped playing since becoming disillusioned with the genre), if there's one phrase I hate, then it's "end game." It frustrates me and has generally appeared from games such as World of Warcraft, where little kids need an end goal to aim for, or a place that they can show off their amazing armor. Not all games need a flippin' end game. This mentality really needs to change.

Linear games have end games, as you play from start to finish. Sandbox type games, that try to depict realism, shouldn't really have an end game, as it's left to your own imagination as to what you do, even if developers get cries of "well, what's the point in playing?!" Stop catering to the people who need to be hand fed everything, with a lovely carrot sticking out in front.

I agree with the negative connotations of "end game" similar to the negative connotations that the "MMO" genre now has, which is unfortunate.

The one caveat I will cite is that when people refer to "end-game" in Day Z, they normally don't mean it in the traditional sense. They normally mean it as, "Stuff to do once you're fully geared".

• Like 1

If they're going keen on helicopters in the standalone i wanna see you having to turn the car's ignition and shift the gears using Q/E LOL. =)

I hope they do.

• Like 1

my dream of an "endgame" ist to explore new maps on my way to find a safe place ...means the maps should be connected via travel scripts...

Does your backpack plays a sound in real life when opened? I don't think so. Ever heard about pickpocket?

you don't notice a 'pickpocket' because they take something that doesn't weight a lot in the first place (wallet, cash, etc). you're gonna notice if someone removes an assault rifle from your backpack

my dream of an "endgame" ist to explore new maps on my way to find a safe place ...means the maps should be connected via travel scripts...

Agreed. I'd love to see connected maps in the future. It'd be a long way off though and would require an insane amount of work with many dedicated map making teams but it would turn DayZ into a truly epic game.

Imagine scavenging for parts on Chernarus to make/repair a boat or plane/heli to cross the sea to another landmass. The potential would be mind boggling. Interconnected instanced maps would be the one thing I would wish for in DayZ if I could only have one wish.

(and swan farming)

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 9

Then read the devblog and Rockets other posts on the subject, it'll put your mind at rest.

Edited by Fraggle

You misread my comment.

Anyhoo, one of the things I'm really looking forward to is the addition of all of the extra indoor spaces. It's going to make the urban areas very different and require a very different approach tactically.

Cant wait for this either mate. So many subtle (and no so subtle) differences.

My only wish: no more hackers

Dont we all mate, dont we all...

PsiSyndicate on youtube is gone be a tester :) great day z commentator rocket you please me this game is gone be a master piece create different type's of clothes so clothes store's that you can get different warmth from it looks amazing

Question to Rocket or anyone that knows.

Has any one asked or does anyone know if parachutes will be actual loot in the standalone?

Would be quite ballsy to be in a chopper without a parachute. The rotor gets shot out and you're screwed lol kind of take parachutes for granted currently.

Edited by Lights Out

Agreed. I'd love to see connected maps in the future. It'd be a long way off though and would require an insane amount of work with many dedicated map making teams but it would turn DayZ into a truly epic game.

Imagine scavenging for parts on Chernarus to make/repair a boat or plane/heli to cross the sea to another landmass. The potential would be mind boggling. Interconnected instanced maps would be the one thing I would wish for in DayZ if I could only have one wish.

(and swan farming)

it could go like this....a mod like Namalsk ( for example) could place some broken sailingboats in Chernorus along the coast...this boats would spawn randomly like other vehicles but would not be functional in their usual way...if the player can manage to repair one of them he will be able to enter this boat and decide to leave Chernorus...for example when activating the boat he would be asked "would you like to sail to Namalsk?" if agreed the player would be logged out and the game would be saved, but instead of the players current position in Chernorus the script would save a spawnpoint location on Namalsk...now the player could join a Namalsk server and would spawn on Namalsk with his current char including all gear and stuff he had back in Chernorus....going back to Chernorus would work the same way....

of course the mod server has to be conncted to the main hive....

I sure hope I will be able to host my own server on Linux cuz Windows server sucks balls...

it could go like this....a mod like Namalsk ( for example) could place some broken sailingboats in Chernorus along the coast...this boats would spawn randomly like other vehicles but would not be functional in their usual way...if the player can manage to repair one of them he will be able to enter this boat and decide to leave Chernorus...for example when activating the boat he would be asked "would you like to sail to Namalsk?" if agreed the player would be logged out and the game would be saved, but instead of the players current position in Chernorus the script would save a spawnpoint location on Namalsk...now the player could join a Namalsk server and would spawn on Namalsk with his current char including all gear and stuff he had back in Chernorus....going back to Chernorus would work the same way....

I was thinking more in terms of the SA. Also I would like to see you have to actually travel the distance, not just "quick travel" by pressing a button.

Eg: You fix up a PBX (hopefully requiring a lot of effort). You sail south to the edge of the map and then you get a short loading time after which the new area/map loads and you have to keep on sailing south to reach land.

Edited by Fraggle

Rocket...... Are their going to be rivers / streams / creeks...... would certainly make the environment more immersive....

• Like 1

I sure hope I will be able to host my own server on Linux cuz Windows server sucks balls...

This. Don't expect this to be supported from the get go, but being able to run a dedicated server on a linux box is (usually) a lot easier / more stable / cheaper than running it on MS Server :3

Rocket...... Are their going to be rivers / streams / creeks...... would certainly make the environment more immersive....

This, not sure if it's possible given the engine and timeframe. Other geographical features other than forests and fields would be nice as well.

I was thinking more in terms of the SA. Also I would like to see you have to actually travel the distance, not just "quick travel" by pressing a button.

Eg: You fix up a PBX (hopefully requiring a lot of effort). You sail south to the edge of the map and then you get a short loading time after which the new area/map loads and you have to keep on sailing south to reach land.

other open world games like The Elder Scrolls or Fallout use so called woldspaces ...every big landmass or area has its own worldspace and you can travel between them using teleporting scripts...such new worldspaces can be added by addons or mods...not a real problem..but can the arma engine handle such stuff and would the servers be able to handle it..I mean connecting maybe 3 maps would perhaps mean 150 players instaed of 50 playing on one server....

I would love to see stuff like this, the biggest problem I think (not even thinking about scripting/programming the travel instance) it's the griefers or hackers that will know the predefined travel position when you come across one map to another. The only way to prevent this it's to make the landing/arrival random, so it's so much difficult to another player who is already on the second map to kill the coming ones.

We asked Matt Lightfoot in our Q&A with him. They've fallen down the list of prorities for now, they've decided there's better things to focus their time on in the short term.

To be honest, Dogs is one of those things that I never really thought should have been a consideration for the mod. It just seems like an unnecessary amount of resources to devote to a system which may or may not be helpful.

I definitely think it'd be a worthwhile thing to pursue further on down the line, god help the person who kills my dog... but I agree with their reasons.

I'd prefer it you couldn't just sail directly to another island/area and you had to actually pick the right course (compass+map or gps required) and have the proper supplies (fuel, food, etc) to get there. Rather than getting prompted with "Would you like to sail to Namalsk?" it would say "Are you bloody mad?!?!"

Players might run out of gas, starve to death, end up in the middle of nowhere, or make it to the island. :) Awful weather (% chance of failure) would be nice too. A lot of community trial and error would be needed just to figure out how to get there. Eat it metagaming.

• Like 3