disorder

Modded Dayz is dull because..

..of the lack of Scarcity.

Not trying to pick on anyone personally, but what is the point in having so many cars they outnumber the people by 4:1? Assuming you have a 50 player cap, it makes cars so abundant they almost seem worthless.

The heavily modded versions remove the scarcity and take fun out of salvaging rare and unobtainable things. How can you really be paranoid of losing a car when you have another 3 for backup? Coveting your mountain dew and beans? Who cares! Everyone has mountain dew and beans packed into their fleet of automobiles!

I personally want no cars, less bullets, less loot in general and craploads more zombies to make the suffering more prominent. 5 Cars per server is overkill.

Besides, If I want that many I can go into the editor any time, dump every single thing onto an empty cherno airfield and drive them around all day. Even the VTOLS can get a look in then.

Finally it kind of defeats any purpose if you start off with end game weapons too. What are you supposed to do in the end game? Play Russian Roulette with your gazillion guns and sit on your mountainous throne of baked beans?

TLDR!

Having too much everything is no fun at all. I hope the standalone keeps it minimal, tense and interesting. Less is more. I hope that Mr. Hall finds a way to make dynamic loot amounts based on x number of items per player and only generates new ones when old ones are used and then we finally have a legitimate reason for killing; that man has all the beans, time to die.

Disorder Out

• Like 6

I actually like the fact that there are lots of cars available on some servers. However, i really wish fuel was rarer and finite - once the fuel depot is empty then bad luck.

As for starting with weapons and the like - i suppose some people play DayZ for different reasons. I once joined a server which gave me starting gear including ALL the tools and a DMR. I was a bit put off and confused so i climbed a hill and was promptly sniped.

Have you tried the 2017 mod? Might not be your cup of tea, but i love it. No military weapons, hardly any tinned food and all resources are scarce. If you find an Enfield you think you are the king! I havent done it yet, but i hear that when you fix up vehicles they are all beat up as well - no shiny new vehicles to be had.

• Like 3

I agree TBH. I've seen servers where you spawn with night-vision and they have 300 vehicles on the map. At that point I'm not really sure what you'd even do in-game. :S

The wonderful thing is that you don't have to play on those servers though. If people enjoy that then leave them too it, I personally prefer the normal amount of vehicles and minimal starting equipment so I play on normal servers.

• Like 2

I actually like the fact that there are lots of cars available on some servers. However, i really wish fuel was rarer and finite - once the fuel depot is empty then bad luck.

As for starting with weapons and the like - i suppose some people play DayZ for different reasons. I once joined a server which gave me starting gear including ALL the tools and a DMR. I was a bit put off and confused so i climbed a hill and was promptly sniped.

Have you tried the 2017 mod? Might not be your cup of tea, but i love it. No military weapons, hardly any tinned food and all resources are scarce. If you find an Enfield you think you are the king! I havent done it yet, but i hear that when you fix up vehicles they are all beat up as well - no shiny new vehicles to be had.

No I havent tried 2017, is it a variation of DayZ? Link or anything? It's tired and I'm late... or something..

Will check it out, just saw the other post about these harder modes actually.. hehe

• Like 1

Anything that can move you at 8-9X running speed is not worthless. :lol:

I agree about the cars, though I think if the repair system was made more complex (i.e. non-generic parts) and fuel was rarer, then I think you could have as many vehicles as you want.

As for weapons, I think the vanilla Day Z numbers are good... just the rarity of certain weapons needs to be adjusted and the variety increased (as is being doing with 1.7.5). In modded Day Z, getting three solid weapons per heli-crash is common, and sort of ruins the fun. I've been playing on a server where donators get to pick their loadouts, basically pay-to-win... which is silly.

And, as a personal aside, I feel that most modded servers aren't really Day Z at all... they've betrayed what Day Z is by overwhelmingly focusing on PvP rather than survival over others.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I agree, OP. As well as DayZ 2017, try DayZ+ It has the scarcity you're looking for.

Anything that can move you at 8-9X running speed is not worthless. :lol:

How about 9x a visible and audible target too? ;)

they've betrayed what Day Z is by overwhelmingly focusing on PvP rather than survival over others.

I agree. I think the key idea is about fear and uncertainty etc. The best stories/interactions always involve raw emotion and surprise.

It's also about pride of accomplishments.

What I feel about the cars is not the cars themselves nor the number of them, nor even the amount of fuel, but rather the ability of any survivor to be a fully capable MASTER mechanic and fix them at a moments noitice. Like.. engine parts? I wouldn't even know where to start and when to stop with that kind of stuff and that is the case for most people, even people claiming to know that stuff. Windows? Are we all fully capable of cutting a sheet of glass into perfect shape so that it fits? And not to mention the hull.. does the toolbox carry a welding tool to weld metal bars and fix the structual integrity or fix holes in the door/trunk/roof/hood and so on.

I'm one of those that feel DayZ need a more RPG side to it, not levels, but skills that increase over time. Only skills that are useful for other things than the act of shooting and killing. Skills that would give you reason to want your character to survive for as long as possible. And that goes for both modded servers and "vanilla" servers.

..of the lack of Scarcity.

Not trying to pick on anyone personally, but what is the point in having so many cars they outnumber the people by 4:1? Assuming you have a 50 player cap, it makes cars so abundant they almost seem worthless.

The heavily modded versions remove the scarcity and take fun out of salvaging rare and unobtainable things. How can you really be paranoid of losing a car when you have another 3 for backup? Coveting your mountain dew and beans? Who cares! Everyone has mountain dew and beans packed into their fleet of automobiles!

I personally want no cars, less bullets, less loot in general and craploads more zombies to make the suffering more prominent. 5 Cars per server is overkill.

Besides, If I want that many I can go into the editor any time, dump every single thing onto an empty cherno airfield and drive them around all day. Even the VTOLS can get a look in then.

Finally it kind of defeats any purpose if you start off with end game weapons too. What are you supposed to do in the end game? Play Russian Roulette with your gazillion guns and sit on your mountainous throne of baked beans?

TLDR!

Having too much everything is no fun at all. I hope the standalone keeps it minimal, tense and interesting. Less is more. I hope that Mr. Hall finds a way to make dynamic loot amounts based on x number of items per player and only generates new ones when old ones are used and then we finally have a legitimate reason for killing; that man has all the beans, time to die.

Disorder Out

I couldn't agree any more my friend.

Yeah, I agree with a lot of that. I'm not sure I like the direction the mod is heading tbh. Sure, there are different kinds of servers for different tastes so you can pick one you like, but having too many options isn't always the best thing. It seems more and more servers feature a ridiculous number of vehicles, custom loadouts with guns, 24h daylight etc, basically straying too far from the original concept. People are getting so used to vehicles they don't even want to play without one anymore. I understand why, but it is precisely the reason why they shouldn't be abundant. They effectively make the map much smaller.

I hope Rocket has a clear vision for the Standalone. I guess one thing we can count on is that he won't be making it "accessible" for the sake of it. Removing the starting gun was an unpopular choice back then, but he still did it without being afraid of losing players. I have faith he will do similar for the Standalone and capture the survival atmosphere of the original mod with all the goodies and features of the new engine architecture.

Lol I barely find cars at all! But either way I don't really think it needs to change. Maybe your playing on servers which purposely have more vehicles.

The great thing about this mod is the fact that the server owners can do what they please. Want no gear they are out there want dm style with zombies? You got it! All friendly love fests!? Step in and feel the loving!

I admin on a slightly carebear server. We have like 100 vehicles (just added a couple of air vehicles this weekend.) you do start with a set if nvg, a block 2 mags, and a map. The nvgs were my idea since it seems we are nighttime when everyone else is daytime. The map is to help new players to team up.

Do I spend all day playing here? No! But it is fun, our community is growing and civil. (seems like douches don't like entire servers hunting them) Our local bandits are up front and completely feared. (they love that)

Side chat is never a battle ground! Sure the bandits mind feck people over it, but we rarely get the " come at me bro" jerks.

Personally my favorite servers are ones with mature communities. Who don't whine when killed, or flex their awesome fps skills verbally. I don't care what style it is 1 vehicle or 1000.

Side note here best server I've played was a role playing server. Everyone was respectful as long as you didn't go out of character.

(edit) a confused drunk if you are reading this reopen your server! :)

Edited by Pendragon
  • Like 1

Enjoyed your post fellow dude. It even made me chuckle a couple of times (refer to avatar for photo evidence).

Lol I barely find cars at all! But either way I don't really think it needs to change. Maybe your playing on servers which purposely have more vehicles.

I actually try and play on unmodded vanilla, usually public. Though I will take a look at the harder modes, as long as they don't make too drastic alterations and everything is known to the public. (no secret things or special privilages etc)

Edited by disorder

Agreed. Some servers now are going way overboard with the amount of vehicles and start equipment. Its good fun for a little while if you're looking for pure PvP but it wears off.

• Like 1

Variety is the spice of life. I went on a 3-4 month pure survival kick when I first started but at this point I enjoy "casual" DayZ servers with starting loot and a great deal of vehicles. A good example is Taviana, without a vehicle the map is too large to do anything, with a vehicle the map is awesome.

• Like 1

I keep seeing the argument that this encourages too much PvP and I just dont understand. The game is meant to have player interaction, without plentiful vehicles you have people just staying around "hot spots" doing the same (if not MORE) "PvP" there.

Seriously on high vehichle servers, people spread out to regroup or get some quiet. Ive rode into towns, seen someone else near their vehicle and we just pass each other by, too concerned with losing our vehicles to risk PvPing. Picking people up or just trusting someone for once, is something more common place when it doesnt take 6 hours to get an ATV working- only to have flipped it 200m later. In 'vanilla' there has not been a single time where someone hasnt tried to take my vehicle or just shoot at it in the hopes it explodes just because they are mad im not on foot too.

Ive honestly seen only the opposite of what you describe and this complaint seems like more of a whine that playing the fun active servers, finds people on your favorite loot cycle location.

Eventhough ONLY players give anyone whose played longer then a week, any sense of thrilling excitement. Seriously.