Sign in to follow this  
klesh

Should Heli Crash Sites be marked on the Map?

Should Heli Crash Sites be marked on the in-game map?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should Heli Crash Sites be marked on the in-game map?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

What a terrible idea, who in the name of fuck thought this would be a good idea?

This isn't Wasteland, this is DayZ and this ridiculous patch needs removing from the build immediately.

probably the same guy that thought turning all the lights on was a good move

It's great for admins to farm their own servers for NVGs.

Get a vehicle, travel to the crash sites, restart servers.

It's a really really bad idea.

No, it's a terrible idea. I assume it was inspired by the Wasteland mission. The problem is that DayZ gameplay dynamics are nothing like Wasteland. The last thing this game/mod needs is more PvP incentives. People who play alone are the ones getting hurt the most by this. They don't even have to bother with crash sites anymore. This change makes zero sense and should be changed back.

• Like 1

Surely this poll is for anything that will be running DayZ code 1.7.5?

My post you're quoting was directed at the user who assumed this was for Balota Buddies servers only.

Presumably private hive servers could edit Heli Crash Sites however they see fit, which is why I phrased it as public hive servers (which will run the unedited 1.7.5 version).

• Like 1

There are already hot spots where people can fight, those places are called NWAF, Cherno, Electro. I do not approve this idea. Whenever i find a helicrash and that has happened 3 times, my heart starts beating and i get excited, if you take that out, its like stealing a beans from my pocket.

Edited by MrM

Well i guess we know its not happening...

THANK FUCK!

No.

Maybe 1.7.6 can add LoJack transmitters to all of the vehicles so we can see where they are on the map too. That should cut down on those boring survival bits between the fighting.

Aside from the obvious (loot all taken 3 mins after server restarts and then 39 ppl fighting over empty loot spots) how would this make any sense ?

I mean, who marked these on the map in the first place?

Pilot Dave- "Im taking the helicopter out for a spin Private Johnson! Figure ima try a backflip somewhere on the outskirts of Novy Sobor"

Private Johnson- "Roger that Pilot Dave, id best get the map out, mark your smouldering corpse and drop it off at the local supermarket!"

Pilot Dave- "Standard!"

Edited by Delta Smoke 01

they don't spawn on server restart anymore. read the whole changelog.

yep

* [uPDATED] - UH1 Crash sites no longer all spawn on server start but thoughtout the game.

should be interesting

Day z is more of a survive before you know a convoy would appear and you would be running with your beans the whole point of them is too help noobs new pepole to get good gear to start off and you invite a helicopter no thank you we dont want this to be like wasteland mod

Not in the in-game map, but in maps like dayzdb.com it should be displayed.

Under the current system no.

In the standalone or something this was my idea:

I think lots of different aircraft could crash, then if you have either a map, GPS or Radio (they'd need to put this in), there is a random chance of learning roughly where it is.

In addition to this, say 5 vehicles have crashed, 2 have distress signals and may appear on a map or whatever so the clans can fight over them but the majority, 3 in this case, should not have a distress signal and should just be found naturally.

I think that is the best of both worlds. It gives players who suck at finding crash sites a chance to find them, albeit with a high risk of encountering other players, while at the same time leaving things to be discovered.

Also, having the crash sites appear randomly after server restart, rather than immediately is a brilliant idea and kudos to whoever mentioned it before.

Edit: Thinking about this, if you have a map there is a small chance it will be indicated by a 'splodge' giving a very rough idea of where it is, if you have a GPS it would be a smaller area of 2 or 3 grid squares and if you have a radio a single grid is given, which gives a more precise location, of course the radio would be rare and you would only get the message a couple times, meaning you would have to remember it or write it down.

This gives a random treat to 3 of the players on the server (there could be 50+) and it would make a fresh spawn think twice about what direction he was going to take if his new map gave him this info.

Of course this would leave 3 or 4 crash sites as random finds, but imagine the excitement of a map/GPS icon blinking or radio suddenly going off, then you go alone, or with a buddy and get some good medical loot, weapons or perhaps even rarer items that they could implement.

Is this fair? No, it isn't but DayZ isn't fair and that is what makes it so interesting. Is it fair that on WoW you could defeat a boss and never get the loot you wanted? No, but millions play that.

Edited by bibbish, Yesterday, 04:00 PM.

I didn't vote (I assume this poll is for players on the Balota Buddies server). Just to say though...

The server I play on uses it just now. It works really well so far, especially since there are only ever between 5-25 players on. It's not realistic by any means, but it does give potentially more 'hot spots' for PvP (if you don't have 15+ players on Chenarus, player encounters can be too rare for most people's taste). To a certain extent it actually prevents people with vehicles/choppers from madly rushing around raping crash-sites, as they need to be far more cautious and ensure the area is cleared of other players before approaching (especially now that you also spawn zombies in a vehicle from 300m).

Bear in mind how the crash-site spawns work in the latest versions. Instead of all spawning in at once on server reboot, one spawns in randomly every thirty minutes to an hour. You hear a loud crash/boom for a few kilometres around the new site. A few minutes later it is automatically marked on the map (if you have one in your inventory).

However, players who are not on the server when the crash-site spawns cannot see the marker when they subsequently log-in. Further, only the latest crash-site is ever marked on the map. It's not like you can see all of them all of the time. So if you join the server five hours after a reboot, there are potentially six or seven crash sites for which you don't know the location (I don't know if the number of sites is capped - it doesn't seem to be). The server I play on restarts every 8 hours and I still come across older crash-sites that no-one visited and that I didn't know about. I've also yet to be sniped at a crash site.

In my opinion, you should run it for a few days (with a server message explaining it's just temporary) and then have your poll, to avoid any knee-jerk reactions.

This is really interesting. I think to call our reactions 'knee-jerk' is a bit harsh. The more the game is random, special and exciting the better. BF3 was fun, but this is DayZ

There are already hot spots where people can fight, those places are called NWAF, Cherno, Electro. I do not approve this idea. Whenever i find a helicrash and that has happened 3 times, my heart starts beating and i get excited, if you take that out, its like stealing a beans from my pocket.

It's all about the excitement. I love it.

I'd like to see this on my server during the last hour before a reboot. My server runs 6 hours before each reboot, so I think having an end game mad rush for the heli crash sites (Already discovered and not discovered) would make it an intense final hour :)